Great day for a car ride in the country

Brass is Best

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

J-386?  Ed,  tell him to lose the pilot rays and the whitewalls.

No, then it would look like the Buick, but with a better paint job.

• Haha 1

On 4/17/2024 at 8:15 PM, edinmass said:

I find it interesting that the 34 Buick with the crappy Marvel carb doesn’t hot soak, but the 36 Packard dumps fuel like the Exon Valdez………..? Benefits of updraft!

I find it interesting that you finally have the car sorted after three years…….shouldn't be too difficult, it’s just an old car. Great example why cars are so expensive today. Parts cost was almost zero…….labor time, almost unlimited. How many hours do you, as trained engineer from a top school; have in it?

Whats up with the white walls? Smoking dope again? 🤔

Hey Ed, don't count out the Marvel updraft just yet, I wouldn't believe it if I didn't drive it through the paces...that Marvel updraft carb has been a strong runner for my straight 8 Buick, hot summer soak temps and cold MN temps, I tested 1931-1935 carbs on my engine in a variety of configs and I cannot believe how well it performed for mpg and responsiveness.  I was using black walls, so I might have had a slight advantage...

• Like 1

I hear tons of nightmare stories on the Marvel carbs……..this one had been fine since day one. They can be a bit fussy to get adjusted right, after that it’s been fine. Since it still has the original cork float I will probably change it out to the synthetic material. 

• Like 3

Not sure I even know what a pilot ray is but I suspect the spare headlights. Not sure why the disdain for those, but in the case of this Duesy I think the white walls look just fine. Not so much on the buick.

By the way, this is exactly what I want my garage to look like. That car parked in it would be the icing on the cake, but I have long dreamed of a garage with a car in it and just about nothing else. Less clutter the better.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Not sure I even know what a pilot ray is but I suspect the spare headlights. Not sure why the disdain for those, but in the case of this Duesy I think the white walls look just fine. Not so much on the buick.

By the way, this is exactly what I want my garage to look like. That car parked in it would be the icing on the cake, but I have long dreamed of a garage with a car in it and just about nothing else. Less clutter the better.

You are correct.  Accessory driving lights.  Hanging stuff off the car just distracts from the lines of the car.

The whitewalls are not a crime on this car because they more or less match the body color so you are not adding another distracting color to the palette.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, alsancle said:

J-386?  Ed,  tell him to lose the pilot rays and the whitewalls.

Then it would look like Ed's Buick with a fancy paint job.

• Haha 1

On 4/22/2024 at 8:16 AM, TAKerry said:

53669401326_b8b7766a2b_c.jpg20240421_075255 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

Sat was actually better, sunny and warm. This pic was taken yesterday on the way to cars n coffee. Nice blue sky but turned cloudy and high was about 45 so a bit chilly. Even so, beats having to work for a living!

Now that is a view I haven't had in some time, actually since riding in a classmate's black & gold T/A in HS Sr. Year- 1981!  The Z never had the through the hood shaker scoop...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Now that is a view I haven't had in some time, actually since riding in a classmate's black & gold T/A in HS Sr. Year- 1981!  The Z never had the through the hood shaker scoop...

I was thinking similarly when I first looked at Kerry's photo.  Both the scoop and that dashboard with full instrumentation and the iconic engine-turning detail.  IMHO, Pontiac really designed some beautiful driver-oriented cockpits from the mid-'60s through the '70s.  ;)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Well, Andy, you certainly began a popular topic here!

Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks John. We have these great old cars, and we should drive them every chance we get. Life is short.

• Like 5

Took our 1988 560SL out for our year round Sunday drive with friends.

We have been doing this drive every Sunday since Covid Started.

Was and is a good way to get out and see friends.

image.jpeg.c98b74f6bbf6c87e4ad36fe12f94dd38.jpeg

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Like 8

If you wanna go fast buy a Duesenburg. If you want technical coolness buy a cord, if you want over the top fit and finish buy a Rolls Royce.  If you like ball bearings on your spring shackles, buy a Pierce. However, if you want some super nice to drive buy a later Packard 12.

IMG_4565.jpeg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 15

60mi round-trip to the dentist today...I live in the country, so half of the drive was country, but then there were lots and lots of lights as I made my way to the large metro, over 50 lights and stops round trip, so I used the Wizard button in traffic and it was fun and easy, and I have to say it was much easier on the leg than using the clutch pedal, way-to-go Buick!!!!

To my surprise, my dentist wanted to go for a ride, so I took him around the block, and he too was amazed at the innovative Wizard power clutch used in production vehicles in the early 30s.

20240424_114603.jpg

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, 32buick67 said:

60mi round-trip to the dentist today...I live in the country, so half of the drive was country, but then there were lots and lots of lights as I made my way to the large metro, over 50 lights and stops round trip, so I used the Wizard button in traffic and it was fun and easy, and I have to say it was much easier on the leg than using the clutch pedal, way-to-go Buick!!!!

To my surprise, my dentist wanted to go for a ride, so I took him around the block, and he too was amazed at the innovative Wizard power clutch used in production vehicles in the early 30s.

20240424_114603.jpg

Based on my reading of many forum comments regarding the 32 Buick Wizard system I’m amazed that you have it working flawlessly and enjoyed it so much.  We’re the roads generally flat or were large hills involved?

10 minutes ago, kar3516 said:

Based on my reading of many forum comments regarding the 32 Buick Wizard system I’m amazed that you have it working flawlessly and enjoyed it so much.  We’re the roads generally flat or were large hills involved?

Well, I have to admit, as a meticulous engineer, I won't drive anything prewar that I haven't built or rebuilt, or that which has already been touched by a trusted source, so to say that I freely use the Wizard is probably an isolated case - I spent a lot of time making it reliable, and have come to trust it only because I think I know it very intimately now after testing it in many scenarios, including weaknesses and possible failures, hills, soft-starts, downshifts, free-wheeling, etc.

BUT!!! I would be naive and arrogant to say at some point I won't run into a precarious situation in the future...traffic, mech failure, vac leak, aberrant driver, etc., so I make sure to provide lots of physical driving space and contingencies when in metro traffic.

This Buick Wizard works fine uphill, downhill, flat, and what I really really like is going around corners, such that I can keep the tranny in 3rd, then simply press the Wizard button, lift off the accelerator, then coast around a curve, and then (with the button still depressed) press the accelerator and the clutch gently re-engages at-speed and off we go to accel into the curve and then the straight-away.

As an engineer, I still am amazed at what Bower and Dolza did with these Buicks!

Note, the vacuum power clutch was not exclusive to Buick, other makes had these crazy contraptions.

And, my wife tells me that next up, she is going to use the Wizard with heels to prove what might have been done 90+ yrs ago.

I have a video of her in sneakers driving with the Wizard, but I don't have youtube stuff to post it here.

I am truly blessed to have all of the Wizard vacuum system hardware on my car, and I cannot believe it was left in-tact by prior owners, and I am thankful that I was able to rebuild it, especially thermoforming a reliable rubber diaphragm for the piston.

I hope I have more entertainment for y'all to come...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Had the PI out yesterday, my favorite car in the collection………..

IMG_5684.jpeg

• Like 11

5 hours ago, edinmass said:

Had the PI out yesterday, my favorite car in the collection………..

IMG_5684.jpeg

I would be interested in your impressions of the PI vs the PII.   I have not spent a lot of time in a PI so I'm not a good judge, but to me basically the II is a bigger and faster version.

• Like 1

PII is definitely faster. Also much harder to shift. To me, a PI is where it’s at. A PII feels like 20-30 percent more power. And at speed it’s working easier. PIII’s are nice cars, and I have driven a few but not on open roads……so I can’t give a fair comparison.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, edinmass said:

PII is definitely faster. Also much harder to shift. To me, a PI is where it’s at. A PII feels like 20-30 percent more power. And at speed it’s working easier. PIII’s are nice cars, and I have driven a few but not on open roads……so I can’t give a fair comparison.

Remember. The PII has a clutch brake  you shouldn’t double clutch on the way up. But you have to pause in neutral once the transmission is warm. Downshifting obviously requires double clutch.  Although I agree with you, I think it takes a lot of practice.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

What makes the PI so desirable? Is it ride, styling or drivability? 

Finally found a couple hours this afternoon to take the SL out about 67 degrees and sunny till 4 ish this afternoon. 

Would have been nice to have the boy around to help remove the hardtop but no luck this afternoon.  I used to bribe him with beer money but these days it seems  he would prefer a case of golf balls.. 

The brochure showing the 110 woman assisting with that is pure BS...

20240427_170347.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

I got Sam out for a bit. Slightly overcast but I needed to gas him up for a potential photo shoot tomorrow for senior pictures for my daughter's friend. I snagged a couple of pics, including a brief visit to pay our respects to Mr. Sam's, ( the old gentleman who I got the truck from), grave. I couldn't help but laugh a bit. HIs wife, Ms. Charlene, had badgered him for years to "get that old truck out of her front yard". And here I am, bringing it back, around- in front of her grave. 🤣samsign.jpg.8faaa022adc0175f02ed49dc5f1fe790.jpg

samandmrsmsgrave.jpg.63cb8464f980d0d22849e163aa8bf50b.jpg

• Like 14

I took my recently acquired ‘38 Caddy out for its first weekend jaunt. It was a perfect sunny morning at 66 degrees in Pinehurst , NC. Drove about 30 miles visiting some of the attractions in Pinehurst. This area will be hopping in mid-June when the golf world descends here for the US Open. Here are some photos of where we visited. Enjoy!IMG_1524.jpeg.5240feb2a99053d88fe87d743f4c7d8f.jpegPinehurst Brewery. It’s a converted power plant. This will be a popular post-round hangoutIMG_1525.jpeg.ca9d5943808c021beed2d46b36a82955.jpegThe Roast Office. Former Pinehurst US Post Office, now a popular coffee shop and used book store. Many will gather here for a morning cup of Joe before heading to the #2 CourseIMG_1527.jpeg.ab88a6584a738540f4fd26e64b8eaa6b.jpegThe Fair Barn. Restored building at the Pinehurst Harness Race Track 

IMG_1528.jpeg

Edited by CChinn (see edit history)
  • Like 17

5 hours ago, EmTee said:

Nice hood!  ;)

lol 

yes its a nice Super Sport hood.

I actually have the rest of car as well. 

IMG_4020.jpeg.1f30d6b707562dc6accf8fffc3a8faa7.jpeg

SS 396 numbers matching unrestored , one crappy repaint in the early 80s

John

• Like 10

On 4/28/2024 at 11:19 AM, JohnS25 said:

I haven’t had the 69 Camaro out for a while. So I put a few miles on it yesterday and some fresh ethanol free gas 
IMG_4017.png.107bfb8aee4405a9176f4cef85955659.png

I hope you made sure the 4-bbl. engaged properly...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

I hope you made sure the 4-bbl. engaged properly...

lol 

yes the secondary’s work properly, I checked 😎

Not so much of a big deal on this car because it has it’s original Quadra jet carburetor on it.
But I definitely make sure to open the secondary’s on some of my ether cars that have Holley carbs on them. Mostly because it’s fun, but I like to get some fresh fuel in the rear float bowl 😉

John

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JohnS25 said:

lol 

yes the secondary’s work properly, I checked 😎

Not so much of a big deal on this car because it has it’s original Quadra jet carburetor on it.
But I definitely make sure to open the secondary’s on some of my ether cars that have Holley carbs on them. Mostly because it’s fun, but I like to get some fresh fuel in the rear float bowl 😉

John

Outstanding!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnS25 said:

Ha - I use that excuse for the outboard carbs on my tri-power Grand Prix!  ;)

image.jpeg.e23c64ce55785d77bae257a29b0b12cb.jpeg

• Like 6

On 4/28/2024 at 7:56 AM, CChinn said:

I took my recently acquired ‘38 Caddy out for its first weekend jaunt. It was a perfect sunny morning at 66 degrees in Pinehurst , NC. Drove about 30 miles visiting some of the attractions in Pinehurst. This area will be hopping in mid-June when the golf world descends here for the US Open. Here are some photos of where we visited. Enjoy!

I have been waiting for this first post of the new Cadillac on this iconic "Great Day for a car ride" thread!

A great car for a pleasant ride any day!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I took my Riviera on a day long round trip up the Coast Highway. From San Jose to Bodega Bay, then north on CA 1. My destination was Mendocino. Then drove back on Hwy 128 to Cloverdale then back home on US101. Over 400 miles., The weather was gorgeous as well as the scenery. I suffered through several traffic delays on the way up before I reached Petaluma, it took me three hours to go the first 60 miles! The nine hour trip took me almost 12 hrs.

1714617870209_IMG_20240430_120132.jpeg

image000000.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Took out my '35 12 twice this week.  It's really a fantastic car to drive; totally solid on the road, and the 12 just feels great and pulls you along so well.   You want to find a long stretch of road to keep on driving. 

IMG_8410.jpg.7f5bd181c86751ea41a813661f982e4a.jpg

• Like 14

IMG_1537.jpeg.d206b81e15a0d0b80ba3fa0f1ad0197d.jpegAfter raining all day yesterday and this morning, the skies finally cleared. Took advantage of the break for a late afternoon ride in the 38 Cadillac 

• Like 11