Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

In 1926 a new Jubilee Moon 6-60 from the Bye Thompson Motor Sales Company located at 3320 South G Street took on the steep K Street hill. The K Street hill between Center Street and South 27th had such a steep grade that it was used as a testing ground for the power of new cars. The Jubilee Moon was produced to celebrate 20 years of manufacturing by the Moon Motor Co. (1905-1929) of St. Louis, MO. The car, which sold for under $1,000, was reported to be of European design adapted to American traffic needs. The Moon and Diana motor car agent in Tacoma was the Bye Thompson Motor Sales Company; Bye Thompson was president of the company which sold and serviced the vehicles.

download (2).png

Edited by jukejunkie1015
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, DavidMc said:

I think its an early 1920's Packard 7 passenger

@DavidMc I still think it's Pierce, from loop door handles, size of cowl vent, hood latches, raised background for hood louvers.  See attached photo of the 1925 coupe I had for 21 years, if you can zoom in on the hood.

IMG_1573.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twin6 said:

Look who got the best seats!  The world is a better place with dogs, especially when you're piloting a 1912 Packard 48 in your fur coat.

7 pass dogs.jpg

What is with all the sticks in the ground? Random pattern. By a large lake or wide river…so probably not trees…ideas?

Grimy,  the features that are identical to the early Packard are the loop door handles, the hood clips, the cowl and vent. windscreen and posts, cowl and particularly the the top frames with that small centre bow frame that was only used on the longer wheelbase 7 passenger open cars.  Evert detail I see matches the Packard.

DavidMc, I think you're right.  The hood top panels are more curved on the Pierce, and although I've never had an open S80, the windshield stanchions on the subject car look different from Pierce.  The Pierce 80 was designed to compete with the Packard Single Six, but the Pierce closed cars were initially $650 more than Packard giving the latter a competitive edge, until Pierce came out with the Coach Series with flat (vs. domed) roof, squared (vs. radiused) quarter windows, and single-piece (vs two-pane) windshields, wood-grained steel (vs. mahogany) interior window mouldings--for $650 less.  The Pierce open cars and coupes were all in the Deluxe Series.

So I agree the subject is indeed a Packard--thank you!

17 hours ago, 72caddy said:

What is with all the sticks in the ground? Random pattern. By a large lake or wide river…so probably not trees…ideas?

Stay supports for new saplings to grow straight. Looks to be a newly developed park. It would be nice to see the same location over 100 years later.

• Like 1

The Fisk family are friends of mine...........they sold out to someone that became Uniroyal. The plant recently was torn down. The above car is not a Pierce that I can recognize.

September 1927, Abe Jenkins in his Studebaker Commander leaving the Golden Gate ferry, San Francisco after traversing from New York to San Francisco 3,302 miles in 77 hours and 40 minutes. 

photo hanging in the Studebaker mansion South Bend Indiana. 

C1021602-8D2D-45FB-B6FE-689D6F37FB70.jpeg.4a56f61d021695fad39aa2a803f9ff89.jpeg

• Like 1

Interesting photo.  Possibly a French Darracq basis.  The 1901 Darracq Model C had an engine hood / bonnet similar to the residual hood on the 1DP (one-donkey power) model.  The Darracq hood has a unique double curve at the front, while the 1902 Renault's hood is similar but lacking the double curve.

motorless.JPG.0dc88ae06f9d72a5f66bc1f9f9749859.jpg

02 Renault.jpg

On 2/4/2022 at 8:34 PM, John_Mereness said:

Seattle_Packard_dealership_1927.jpg

The building at 1124 Pike Street was constructed in 1920, custom- built as a Packard dealership. It was designed to be one of Seattle's most elaborately ornamented auto dealerships, befitting of Packard’s luxury image. The building is nicely sited to take advantage of a key intersection in Seattle; that of Pike Street, Minor Avenue, and Melrose Avenue, just a few steps east of the downtown core of the city. The Packard dealership remained in the building for about 25 years, but left in the mid-1940’s as Packard’s star was fading.  The building is now the Starbuck's Reserve Roastery.   https://www.cntraveler.com/bars/seattle/starbucks-reserve-roastery

phpkKQp5g.jpg_med.jpg

phpO67His.jpg_med.jpg

Edited by jukejunkie1015
addition of URL (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I've seen tool boxes that look like these in many period photos, and wondered if the domed top is an accessory storage unit that is strapped over the tool box (as opposed to the tool box having a domed lid, not good to step on).  No idea what the cars are, but there should be enough clues.

7g.JPG

7d.JPG

• Like 1

Flea market in Paris 1908. You could buy an already then antique Renault. But I bet that my countrymen would have been more interested in those single cylinder engines-something to motorize your boat with.  (Photos from Austrian Allgemeine Automobil-Zeitung 5.4.1908)

Flea Market in Paris 1908.jpg

Parisian Flea Market 1908.jpg

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, twin6 said:

I've seen tool boxes that look like these in many period photos, and wondered if the domed top is an accessory storage unit that is strapped over the tool box (as opposed to the tool box having a domed lid, not good to step on).  No idea what the cars are, but there should be enough clues.

7g.JPG

7d.JPG

Peerless