Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

16 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

I believe this has been posted before but I cannot recall the maker. Studebaker?

Does anyone know if it still exists? 

Wish it didn't have whitewalls.

32650006_10155809915539332_6612909271036198912_o.jpg

Yes, Studebaker, probably a Dictator or Commander 6. Most likely a 1929, although, 29 did not have the windshield visor incorporated into the roof. That's a 1928 feature, to my knowledge. 1928 did not have the cowl vent, so it could be an early series 1929. Since it has a 1930 tag, goes to show even then, some preferred white walls.

Frank

Edited by oldford (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Two cars in particular stand out, cropped the photo detail for easier spotting.  In the lower left corner, a 1927 Studebaker Commander Big Six Custom Victoria. 

Now, way out on a limb.   In the upper right corner is a large, two-tone light-color roadster, drum-style headlight, prominent radiator and ornament, a group of forward raked hood louvers: 1927 Stearns-Knight Model D-6-85 or 1928 Model F-6-85.  How's that for obscure?

California coast beach ca 1930 a -crop a.jpg

28 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Two cars in particular stand out, cropped the photo detail for easier spotting.  In the lower left corner, a 1927 Studebaker Commander Big Six Custom Victoria. 

Now, way out on a limb.   In the upper right corner is a large, two-tone light-color roadster, drum-style headlight, prominent radiator and ornament, a group of forward raked hood louvers: 1927 Stearns-Knight Model D-6-85 or 1928 Model F-6-85.  How's that for obscure?

California coast beach ca 1930 a -crop a.jpg

The big sedan  with its rear door open - almost tail to tail with the Studebaker - must be identifiable. Something in the upper/middle price bracket. Fender lamps, covered(?) sidemounts, maybe disc(?) wheels. Nash/Hup/Graham or ???

4 hours ago, oldford said:

Yes, Studebaker, probably a Dictator or Commander 6. Most likely a 1929, although, 29 did not have the windshield visor incorporated into the roof. That's a 1928 feature, to my knowledge. 1928 did not have the cowl vent, so it could be an early series 1929. Since it has a 1930 tag, goes to show even then, some preferred white walls.

Frank

Due to the odd times during the year in which Studebaker introduced their new models in that era it is very hard to be year specific with them. My '1929' car was already in New Zealand before Christmas 1928. I think this commercial is some sort of custom on an extended wheelbase. It has the little wings on the headlights which the third series GE Dictator had, but it looks to have a screw-on radiator cap. The bumper looks to be aftermarket.

26 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

The big sedan  with its rear door open - almost tail to tail with the Studebaker - must be identifiable. Something in the upper/middle price bracket. Fender lamps, covered(?) sidemounts, maybe disc(?) wheels. Nash/Hup/Graham or ???

Hupmobile occurred to me first, maybe the 1930-'31 H or C Series with the disk wheels.  

The detail isn't very sharp, so I am not sure of anything. The big touring car might be a Packard, about 1914. The front end of the fender is hiding in the darkness of the man's suit, so I cannot be sure about Packard's distinctive front bill. Looks like it might have the tail-lamp on top of the rear fender, as some Packards did in those years.

The little roadster might be a Chevrolet, circa 1914 or 1915.

The small touring car across the street somewhat ahead of the maybe Packard I think is a model T Ford. If so, it wouldn't be any earlier than a 1917, first year for the curved front fenders (other than the one year 1911 only torpedo and open roadster fenders!). It appears to have the model T's oil sidelamps mounted to the windshield brackets. It could go as late as 1922 without the electric/starter package. But given the apparent age of the other cars, it likely isn't much newer than the 1917. It also appears to have a winter blanket over the hood (bonnet to you New Zealanders!).

Neat photo! Thank you for sharing it here.

On 2/14/2022 at 3:36 PM, nzcarnerd said:

A photo from historic Winnipeg - supposedly dated 1911 but I think the little roadster - make? - is from later than that. Looks to be an interesting six cylinder(?), low sided touring car across the street.

SAG Maxmillian Vanbreak Winnipeg 0222 (2).jpg

If the car across the street is a Packard, and it sure looks to be, I think it's a 1913 model 48 phaeton.  RHD and different cowl than the touring car.

On 2/14/2022 at 1:36 PM, nzcarnerd said:

A photo from historic Winnipeg - supposedly dated 1911 but I think the little roadster - make? - is from later than that. Looks to be an interesting six cylinder(?), low sided touring car across the street.

SAG Maxmillian Vanbreak Winnipeg 0222.jpg

Great-West Life now exists as 'Canada Life' and remains headquartered in Winnipeg: https://www.canadalife.com/about-us/who-we-are/brand-story.html 

The 'Great-West Life' name was used until 2020.

Craig

Brunn & Co.Inc. of Buffalo , NY had a great relationship with Ford Motor Co. especially with the Lincoln division after Lincoln was purchased to become the Ford company luxury brand. In 1924 Brunn published a photo booklet titled Exclusive Automobile Coach Work with many full page photographs of chassis with their coach work. Everything from R-R, Packard, Pierce Arrow etc to this car. Ordered and built for EDSEL FORD . It is a Hispano Suiza.

BRUNN1924HSedselford.jpg

• Like 6

This is a page from a dealer's album that was kept in the showroom, image is a photo mounted on linen so it will last longer. ( I wish I had the whole album not just one page!) the car is a 1927 ( 8-78) and 1928 ( 8-82) ELCAR.  With so much detail I think although looking like a rendering the image is a retouched photograph. Yes, lots of odd stuff in my collection you haven't even seen 1% yet.

Elcarvictoria19271928.jpg

• Like 3