Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

16 hours ago, Walt G said:

Love that car, but also observe other things - fellow is wearing a boater ( straw hat) and a chain to hold hi pocket watch.  Am I guessing the car is fairly new as well ( no dirt clinging to the wheels or undersides of the fenders.

Interesting photo......plate holder off the radiator cap, access door open to the rear suspension. Electric horn very early..........interesting car.

7 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Has anyone identified what this car is? Panhard? Should I steal the photo and start another thread?  I've always liked the big and little wheels on 1904 and older cars, why was it a European feature that never caught on in the USA? wicker 2.jpg

Bob, Ford had 30 X 31/2 on rear and 30 X 3 on front.       John

8 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Has anyone identified what this car is? Panhard? Should I steal the photo and start another thread?  I've always liked the big and little wheels on 1904 and older cars, why was it a European feature that never caught on in the USA? wicker 2.jpg

I reckon that is a 1902 Panhard et Levassor 12 hp.

Re the wheel sizes my Floyd Clymer Catalog of 1914 cars lists several makes that used different tyres size front and rear, although they all used the same rim size.

The US certainly didn't see the size variation seen in Europe. This is from "1899 - Léonce Girardot on Panhard-Levassor type Paris-Amsterdam (8-hp, 4cyl 80x120, 2500cc)"

(Girardot of course was the G in CGV a few years later.)

One thing interesting about this photo is that according to the wiki page about CGV is that their automobile agency was only founded in 1901 so I guess thsi picture is of one of their 'vintage' racing cars.

May be an image of 1 person and outdoors

• Like 2

On 4/2/2022 at 12:23 AM, 1937hd45 said:

I don't know about that different tire size front to back not catching on in the USA. The special wheel package on some Cadillacs in the 2000's up used different tire sizes front to rear and they were all wheel drive. As did some Vettes with two wheel drive.

On 4/2/2022 at 12:23 AM, 1937hd45 said:

Here’s a 1902 Panhard at the Mullin Automotive Museum in Oxnard, CA, looks the same.

C7CCD804-D729-4685-9AAF-C9E2EE07FD97.jpeg.4c5b966c84209c014a5a79d3521afa87.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks Gary! That is a fantastic automobile! My daughter and I toured the Mullin collection a few years ago, everyone should see that collection. They rotate the cars, and have featured displays of different brands. That car was not there when we were, I believe there is another building somewhere with another collection that is an invitation only display. 

On 3/31/2022 at 6:32 PM, nzcarnerd said:

Palmdale California back in the day. Maybe a Garford?

May be an image of 6 people, people standing and outdoors

I believe this is a 1907 Thomas Flyer.  The top of the radiator looks to have the correct shape for a Thomas although the front of the radiator is dark and hard to see in the photo.  Note the box on the running board in front of the rear fender is for access to the chain drive which Thomas used. 

• Thanks 1

A sincere Thank you to all of you who contributed your period photographs here, viewed here maybe more then once, and to friends who have supported this idea of mine to look at old period photographs taken "during the era". It shows how many of us are so similar in our genuine enthusiasm of history and like to gaze at this time warp to see not only the vehicles but all the great architecture, clothes, signs, etc. it takes us to an age most of us have never been around long enough to experience in person. It was started to give us all some relief from the tension of the pandemic , lift a few spirits, get our minds onto something "fun". Guess it has accomplished that a little bit.

I thought this thread would have disappeared after about 3 months, but it looks like there are a lot of us who still need to see this kind of thing. It sure shows that there are a lot of people from all over that like old cars and trucks. Proves that the interest in pre WWII era "horseless carriages" is still very strong. Sincere thanks to AACA , the moderators, club officers for putting up with this.

The sharing of information has been tremendous, warms my heat and soul to see that, more then words can express.

Thanks everyone,

Walt

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The biggest problem, for me at least, with all the posts is that many of the photos appeared initially without identification of the car brand/year/model, even though later posts were able to pin down the info. Is there a way to fund a summer intern job to go back through the photos and following posts and join picture with info?  The forum software doesn't enable attaching comments directly to posts. 

What is in the 400 pages is a fantastic picture history of automobiles with some very worthwhile comments.  They just need to be joined and archived in a searchable way.  I apologize in advance that I am suggesting work for someone that I have not stepped forward to do.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gary_Ash said:

What is in the 400 pages is a fantastic picture history of automobiles with some very worthwhile comments.  They just need to be joined and archived in a searchable way.  I apologize in advance that I am suggesting work for someone that I have not stepped forward to do.  

Walt started this thread.  He can accomplish that goal with his knowledge and attributes being a Author and Editor. (Hint Hint!!)

Craig

Gary, I agree with you.  So many photos have been posted without identification.  Sometimes a person truly does not know the identity of a car in a photo.  Recently this photo of a white mystery car was attached without identification and no one has stepped forward to write a best guess.  My best guess is a possible Luverne.  I don't have a lot of Luverne photos to firm up my best guess, but there it is.  A possible Luverne.  The black 1915 Luverne Special Speed Roadster sort of resembles the mystery car.

Luverne possible.jpg

15 Luverne Special Speed Roadster.jpg

That is an interesting photo -- Hudson and Essex -- Auto Wrecking Company.  ?  Auto wrecking that specialized in wrecking only Hudson and Essex cars?

• Like 1

I wonder if the Hudson-Essex company was the latest business to be in that building. The painted auto wrecking sign on the facade seems to be weathered and another is laying up against the building at the side on the left in the photo - is that sign going up or has it come down? I don't think the Auto Wrecking and the Hudson Essex are connected just perhaps used the same building at different times.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I don't lose interest due to the volume, but unfortunately this forum thread does not function as an archive.  It's impossible to find a photo you once saw, without manually scrolling through 400+ pages.  This takes way too long for me to be willing to even start.  Apart from the frequent lack of identification, which makes it impossible to search, many of the pages are filled with quoted repetitions of already-posted photos, and gigantic personal signature blocks that take more than one screen to even scroll past.

I love these pictures, but I can't get back to them once they are first seen.  The true service would be to find a platform that would store photos and allow efficient thumbnails, scrolling, and searching.  It would be even better if it allowed community annotation, to gradually improve the ID situation.  Then move all these pictures to that.  Then the effort that all these people have put in for all these years would actually be permanently available and accessible, and not buried like the Lost Ark at the end of the first movie.  :-).

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Crusty Trucker said:

A former blacksmith's shop somewhere in Montana. Note anvils as decorations.

SHORPY-8b17793a.jpg?itok=FFxKeDf-

It appears to be a case of the building having been repurposed as a Hudson-Essex agency from the Auto Wrecking business that occupied the location prior.   Note the '"Auto Wreaking" sign leaning up against the building to the right.   One supposes the painters hadn't yet arrived to cover the old lettering across the stonework.  More interesting are the novel 'horseshoe' doorway and flanking windows, something rarely seen on any building.   Wonder if that old building still stands? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

It appears to be a case of the building having been repurposed as a Hudson-Essex agency from the Auto Wrecking business that occupied the location prior.   Note the '"Auto Wreaking" sign leaning up against the building to the right.   One supposes the painters hadn't yet arrived to cover the old lettering across the stonework.  More interesting are the novel 'horseshoe' doorway and flanking windows, something rarely seen on any building.   Wonder if that old building still stands? 

Here is the original building from when it was a Blacksmith shop. Located in Glendive Montana. The anvils on top spell out Joe Balison the shop owner and shown in the later photo from 1939.

johnston.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Note in the last photo showing the building in its earlier years, the chimneys in the back ground, that could indicate some kilns to use for metal heating /production to possibly cast the horse shoes?

Auckland, New Zealand, sometime in the latter part of 1956. The registration plate on the truck shows the date is not earlier than 1 July when that series of plates was issued. The last Auckland tram ran in December of the same year.

The truck make United is one I have not heard of. Whether British or American I don't know. In NZ we had plenty of obscure makes from both sources.

The demise of tram services has been a subject of hot debate as they are supposedly more 'eco-friendly'. The main reason they were taken out of service was the heavy use and lack of maintenance during WW2, combined with rapid suburban expansion in the 1950s, which would have meant massive amounts of investment in the system would have been needed. The trams themselves all date from the 1920s or earlier.   It was decided at the time that diesel buses were the way to go.

Photo taken by Graham Stewart and is part of the Walsh Memorial Library at MoTaT, the Museum of Transport and Technology.

akl late 56 MoTaT photo.jpg

• Like 2

Regarding the United truck.  In "The Automobile" of September 1, 1910, page 382, column 2, the article said the following:  "A record was established recently by a two-ton United States Motor truck on a three days' run from Cincinnati to Chicago.  The distance of 361.4 miles was covered in about 26 hours and 15 minutes.  Twenty-six gallons of gasoline and two and one-half gallons of oil were consumed on the trip.  The demonstration was made by Norman S. Hill, sales manager of the United States Motor Truck Company of Cincinnati...."

Another article in the same publication, dated January 20, 1921, column 1, page 148, under "Financial Notes", related that United States Motor Truck Co. paid on Jan. 10 the annual 7 per cent cash dividend....

Unfortunately I have no photos of a United States truck, or possibly the one and the same "United" truck.  I have no non-U.S. listing for a United truck.  The 1910 and 1921 articles show that United States Motor Truck Company was in operation for at least 11 years, or more, yet photos of a United States truck are very hard to find.  A June 15, 1916 ad for a United States Motor Truck does not show front fenders and radiator similar to the "United" truck which may or may not be related to different production years, or totally different trucks.

United States Motor Truck ad June 15 1916.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/6/2022 at 10:04 AM, StanleyRegister said:

I love these pictures, but I can't get back to them once they are first seen.  The true service would be to find a platform that would store photos and allow efficient thumbnails, scrolling, and searching.  It would be even better if it allowed community annotation, to gradually improve the ID situation.  Then move all these pictures to that.  Then the effort that all these people have put in for all these years would actually be permanently available and accessible, and not buried like the Lost Ark at the end of the first movie.  :-).

Well said, StanleyRegister. My sentiments exactly. The same applies the entire forum and also the photo gallery. How about posting this under "General Topics" and maybe some folks would have suggestions as to how it could be done.

I have on my PC a few thousand photos of antique cars I've take over the last six decades. Nearly all are identified by make and year in the file name, with the model if I know it. A few years ago, I loaded several hundred of them into the AACA gallery. I created folders for the specific show (Hershey, Autofair, GN, etc.), labeled each photo with make and year, alphabetized the entries and posted them in reverse order so that they appeared in the correct order when viewed. I also added key search words where applicable. This took several hours to do and, I was happy that they would be available to researchers in the future. However, over the years since than they have all disappeared from the web site and now reside only in my PC. My wife has made it clear that when I go, my PC goes. No one is interested in this collection as far as I can tell.

Don

It must be kept in mind that when Walt started this thread it was never conceived nor intended to be a living, searchable data base.  Walt intended this to be fun, post pre-WW Two photos, and take some of the stress out the COVID, masking, lock-down stuff.  That was two years ago and this thread is still performing well.  Sure not all cars are identified or properly identified and that is part and parcel of what Walt was getting at -- Come on guys, and gals, lets talk old photos, old cars, old memories, share experiences and observations.  Speaking for myself, I have downloaded and filed nearly all of the car photos that have been posted.  I have taken the time to search, compare, analyze, and identify the cars and trucks (domestic and foreign) as best I can.  For the vehicles that I can't identify there is the "Miscellaneous" bin for identification on a rainy day.  Even though this thread is not searchable it is still a very good "vehicle" for any participant to jump in at any time with an unidentified old family car, or comments, suggestions and proposed identifications of other people's photos.  This kind of broad spectrum participation on a single thread is not available to folks on other single socket forum threads.

Walt, sir, thank you for starting this thread.  I have learned a lot a great information that I would not have known before.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, twin6 said:

49029.jpg

Metz, probably a 1914. 

Metz had a standard factory model similar to this in both 1913 and 1914. The 1913 was called the "Special Roadster", while the 1914 was factory named the "Speedster" model. The 1913 Special Roadster had an about ten gallon round gasoline tank mounted onto the deck floor behind the seat, and wooden spoke wheels were standard, however wire wheels were optional. The 1914 Speedster had wire wheels as standard equipment, and an oval gasoline tank. SOME 1914 Speedster models also had headlamps mounted in the front fenders that look a lot like Pierce Arrow! However, I believe Metz ran afoul of Pierce's lawyers. It appears that the option did not last long, and most 1914 Metz Speedsters seen in era photos do not have the fender headlamps. The factory color for the 1914 Speedster was orange. The 1913 Special Roadster was red over black.

On 6/11/2020 at 11:10 PM, nzcarnerd said:

The registration plate is West Sussex from about 1938-39.  The car is a circa 1929 Bentley 4 1/2 litre. Probably the fastest fire engine in England during WW2.

From what I have found so far this car may not have survived.

No, it still survives, and was in the same family ownership until it passed to me a few years ago.  Still in regular use but no longer chasing fires! 

47575022_10217642171348728_7245135973200166912_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2