Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

3 hours ago, NealH said:

1867175794_1919Pierce-ArrowModel66RoscoeFattyArbuckle(farright)(ltor)VioraDanielLilaLeewithFattysPierce-Arrowconvertibleroadster.jpg.59ae5e44b6647216104474f580e853a3.jpg1919 Pierce-Arrow Model 66 Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle, (far right), (l to r) Viora Daniel, Lila Lee, with Fatty's Pierce-Arrow convertible roadster

fatty.JPG

These photos of Mr Arbuckle’s 1919 Pierce Arrow Model 66 A-4 Open Tourer were taken during the 2016 AACA Reliability Tour based In Savannah, Georgia. The tour visited the home of Mr. and Mrs Robert S. Jepson, Jr. at their Gregory Neck Plantation in South Carolina. They hosted a coffee break there, and were a delight in sharing auto appreciation.

3E509F29-0E7D-492E-92BA-B7C46EB2F41C.jpeg

Roscoe (Fatty) Arbuckle's 1919 Pirerce Arrow Model 66 A-4 Open Tourer as restored and residing in the collection of Robert S. Jepson, Jr. (circa 2016).

5C0B6852-57BD-4255-8D06-503DBE6CEB29.jpeg

image.jpeg.f35c47d4172cbabeae8242a5e8dba911.jpeg 

Edited by Marty Roth
additional note and correction (see edit history)
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Travelling in style , marvelous 

Even if it is only a 1929 Essex, dolled-up with a LeBaron-style sweep-panel paint job, Ford 'Quail' radiator cap, pinstriping and accessory fender and spotlights!  Snazzy!

Edited by 58L-Y8
errant exclamation point. (see edit history)

11 hours ago, alsancle said:

I have a friend who drove one of these in College.   I put it in the same category as the Tucker.   If they were 1/10the price I would find them interesting.  But at the crazy prices they sell for I would rather have an MGB which is basically the same thing to me.

Mercedes190SL.jpg

It is 'only' a 190SL. I guess even when new they were not cheap. Today it is only the very high prices for 300s that is bringing up the 190 prices. I have not had anything to do with them but my son works at a restoration shop and has driven one. He was less than impressed by it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ericmac said:

Finally a car I know something about.  This is a 1913 Ford, though it appears to have been updated with electric headlamps and cowl lights. I have been looking at period photos to see if there was pinstriping on 13 Fords. While I have met with mixed results,  this photo presents a solid vote in the NO column.  Thanks for posting it.

Car has been repainted, look at radiator.  Would rethink striping comment.

25 minutes ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

45708062715_088f6a76f9_z.jpg

Thanks, Dave,

I'll take it !

I'll take it !

I'll take it !

Love the '54, and it would be neat sitting next to our Series 62 convertible

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

November 1938. Capitol Avenue storefronts, Omaha, Nebraska.

November 1938. Capitol Avenue storefronts, Omaha, Nebraska..jpg

Wonderful photo! Notice the 1930/'31 model A Ford sedan delivery near the middle! Probably the earliest car there, nearly eight years old when the photo was taken, and looks to be in pretty nice shape still.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

It is 'only' a 190SL. I guess even when new they were not cheap. Today it is only the very high prices for 300s that is bringing up the 190 prices. I have not had anything to do with them but my son works at a restoration shop and has driven one. He was less than impressed by it.

Guess I could make do with it at a push😊 

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

7 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Wonderful photo! Notice the 1930/'31 model A Ford sedan delivery near the middle! Probably the earliest car there, nearly eight years old when the photo was taken, and looks to be in pretty nice shape still.

Agree great photo , but coming from Uk I notice many of the shops are single story whereas in Uk are mostly the ground floor of at least 2 storeys , often homes above , if fact my first 11 years were spent above and rear of a cash register shop , lovely machines . 

Here's a great looking  Franklin 12. The Japanese book " America Classic Cars" published in 1961  had this exact picture, and identified it as a LeBaron body.  That book is full of great original pictures of big Classic Cars.

1932Franklin12LeBaron_000022.jpg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Going by the registration plate on this BSA, and the one above, I think the location is Australia.

Looks like it, they are both Right Hand Drive 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

4 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Agree great photo , but coming from Uk I notice many of the shops are single story whereas in Uk are mostly the ground floor of at least 2 storeys , often homes above , if fact my first 11 years were spent above and rear of a cash register shop , lovely machines . 

In the town I grew up in the downtown are had mostly two and three story buildings with professional offices and a few apartments on the upper floors.    In the other smaller retail areas they tended to be one story until one of the early shopping centers in America was built there in about 1957. Still in use.

Great photos of the two convertible sedans, a pair of true custom bodied vehicles! I wonder if both vehicles were owned by the same person? Perhaps the fellow to the left in the photo.

It would be very historically correct and proper to dress as he is outfitted and bring your car on the right to the next concours event! You could produce a copy of this photo to prove that all is exactly period correct - maybe even get bonus points so you could get the top premier award!  It may promote a new attitude and presence at PB and Amelia! Get both of them shown here invited to park next to each other.

The only thing I am disappointed of in this period photo is that the Conestoga custom to the left does not have the optional white wheels nor the chrome plated wood spokes.

Edited by Walt G
spelling correction (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, that will fit the new "Pebble" class perfectly. Official hat and goggles too!  This particular example would loose at least1,000 points for the bent front license plate and chassis muck.  Still needs to be tarted up a bit for PB though with plated wheels, polished hood, and the addition of pairs of fog, spot, driving lamps and a 35 lb. gold plated flying pelican for a radiator cap.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HK500 said:

Here's a great looking  Franklin 12. The Japanese book " America Classic Cars" published in 1961  had this exact picture, and identified it as a LeBaron body.  That book is full of great original pictures of big Classic Cars.

1932Franklin12LeBaron_000022.jpg

Franklin V12 Club Brougham

DSC00845.JPG

DSC00871.JPG

DSC00846.JPG

• Like 7