Amelia Island auction

Restorer32

There is one consolation I treat myself to in situations like this. The winning bid was successful after the other party dropped out. If you had been bidding, the winning bidder would have hung in longer. Maybe MUCH longer. You just never know. But sure. I love closed cars. That RR sedan might have been mine if not for circumstances  beyond my control. So I do know where you are coming from. Better luck in your next go 'round.     -     CC 

7 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

A couple have head scratchers though!

Ya think? ...I don't understand some of these prices for 1980's/90's Porsche/Mercedes so I'm just going to keep any and all disparaging remarks to myself. That 560 SEC that brought $390,000 must have been a "Weekend at Bernies" movie car or something. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, md murray said:

Ya think? ...I don't understand some of these prices for 1980's/90's Porsche/Mercedes so I'm just going to keep any and all disparaging remarks to myself. That 560 SEC that brought $390,000 must have been a "Weekend at Bernies" movie car or something. 

Yikes! That's more than 10 times what I'm asking for this one:

000H.thumb.jpg.de8436734c4c641d413630bb0ed755c3.jpg

• Like 2

There were bargains......if your a gambling man. One never knows until the car is home and sorted.......or does it need an engine rebuild? The market is very selective right now...........off by a year or series designation and the market fell flat, good stuff that ran well and was done right was much stronger. Several friends purchased cars, and most were happy with what they paid.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Buying at auction is a bit like playing Russian Roulette.  

With a bullet in every chamber........

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

The stock  market crashing I'm sure affected the bidding. Bad luck/timing for the sellers.  I think that there were some bargains on no reserve cars. Many sold 20% or much more under the low estimate. The Duesenberg  Murphy convertible coupe was bought cheap.

13 hours ago, Hemi Joel said:

The stock  market crashing I'm sure affected the bidding. Bad luck/timing for the sellers.  I think that there were some bargains on no reserve cars. Many sold 20% or much more under the low estimate. The Duesenberg  Murphy convertible coupe was bought cheap.

Surprised the Stationary coupe brought more.  Both nice cars, maybe color choice which we have been discussing here recently?

40 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Surprised the Stationary coupe brought more.  Both nice cars, maybe color choice which we have been discussing here recently?

Stationary coupe was  a matching Body/Firewall/Engine/Bell car.   The Murphy had an engine swap but retained its original bell housing (where the J number is).  That means you need to know how to look at the crank stamp to see the blocks swap.

We were arguing about this standing in front of them.   I would take the Rollston because I like stuff that nobody else has.   At least 30 other guys have one of those Murphy's or similar.

13 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Interesting and it seems each car has merit.  Not sure what I might do however in this case the green is not a plus either, and painting that car is what, $50k or more?  So it is a factor.

A good paint job?  More like 100k.

15 hours ago, Hemi Joel said:

Yes, and it went to a great home! 😎

38 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

Here's your link Bob

http://catalogue.rmsothebys.com/books/ihdt/

Thank you! If I was there (and had the funds) this would be in a Reliable van on its way to me. Reading the info I see it looks a lot like but NOT the one the McGowan brothers had back in the 1980's. That was a blue one that came out of Texas, who knows were that car is now? Bob     Sorry, I'll try for a full size photo, this site has photo posting problems. 

237.jpg

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jrbartlett said:

So what did the Duesenberg sell for?

Rollston 1.350 from memory

Murphy 1.2 all in or just a bit under.

Both are great cars that I have had the pleasure of playing with, to a limited extent.

This 1930 Cadillac V16 convertible sedan going for only $200K grabbed my attention.  Anyone familiar with the car, or have thoughts on why it landed where it did? 

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/am20/amelia-island/lots/r0102-1930-cadillac-v-16-all-weather-phaeton-by-fleetwood/851041

Bought by a longtime friend........who is a “Cadillac “guy.  It won’t be lonely........it will have many V-16 garage mates.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 7:12 PM, md murray said:

Agreed. That is simply an astounding amount of money. But it was an AMG from when that meant something with relatively low miles in a very good color.

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

Bought by a longtime friend........who is a “Cadillac “guy.  It won’t be lonely........it will have many V-16 garage mates.

Nice, although I'm not sure I favor V16 hoarding.  :).  Seriously, though, that looks like an incredible car that was a great deal for what it is.   Maybe that's just where the market is for cars that aren't fresh restorations or more sporting body styles, but still, wow.

While I'm at it, I loved this 1949 Delahaye 135M Cabriolet bodied by Chapron for $240K.   I think of open Delahayes like that as going for a lot more: Were there authenticity issues that the auction description downplayed?

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/am20/amelia-island/lots/r0006-1949-delahaye-135m-cabriolet-by-chapron/828171