What are you working on right now?

Probably my favorite photo of the last ten years…………My 1917 White, and my 96 year old mom going for a ride. She kept commenting oh “how huge” it is. Mom, dad, and I started in the hobby in 1971…………52 years ago. Time has flowen by………..Mom sends her best to all her old friends in the hobby. She doesn’t get out much since the pandemic. 

IMG_1524.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 27

3 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

No, 12x16 for yard stuff.  Right now it's crowding the cars!! The shed in the pics now is 12x20 and houses the A and a ton of other junk..

Careful Steve,  Those sheds will keep growing.  Right now my 60 by 72 Garage that was suppose to be my dream garage,  has become the storage shed for the yard equipment and that has taken over a large percentage of it.  The only thing I have in it Old is my Brockway.   Atleast I have the garage I started with exclusively for cars though and that has the nice toys plus it's climate controlled.  Important this summer especially since it's been so Humid. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday and today we are having new tires put on the Mini. I just took the wheels to the shop because they don't have a lot of room for parking. Karen quit painting the house a few minutes to help me with removing the old ones. I had mounted them myself in the kitchen sink back in 92. Those Yokohamas are hard to beat so we ordered another set just like them ..... except new !  The little 10 inch tires today cost as much as the big Pirelli radials I put on our F-350 a few years ago ! Perhaps I should have just went to Lowes and got wheel barrow tires, lol. 

DSCN1215.JPG

PXL_20230729_201737412.jpg

DSCN2114.JPG

DSCN2113.JPG

DSCN2112.JPG

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

I was on the hunt for a wheel bearing packer just like the one I used when I was in the military working on ground support equipment. Packed a lot of wheel bearings and it was easier to do with the one we had in the shop. It was a Croft industrial one. The other day one came up on the local CL for $15 bucks. Needless to say I had to go get it. I got it home and did a quick one day restoration on it. Everything looked good, but the top handle was a little rough so I had the right size aluminum U channel and changed it out. All I have left to do it mount it to a nice pretty piece of wood to mount it on and some grease to fill it.

IMG_E7582.JPG.c50e88b300b79b596cf4e1eb272c093c.JPG

IMG_7583.JPG.ee82dda0501e1c027ab5eba569c440cb.JPG

IMG_7584.JPG.bdde10bc6689e565184b5151fd2287de.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps this is a bit too new to be an AACA contender, ( it's a 2002 ), but...... since it's my wife's car and I am a "Honey-Do" kinda' guy, so today I polished, leather care'd, window cleaned, air'd tires, and just generally got the little guy/girl ?  looking nice again.  These pics are from another day, but it still looks the same thankfully, and I was too lazy to pull it back out of the garage to take more pics, lol.

PXL_20230407_211850662.jpg

PXL_20230407_211826677.jpg

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

@John Byrd As a fellow owner/driver of a Miata I certainly appreciate the effort you put into this car. It is a beauty….those cars are very collectible drivers.

Jeff, this is our 4th Miata ! Karen is hoping she can find another of the retractable hardtop ones to replace the one she wrecked, but those rascals are few and far between here on the islands. We have both had to settle for automatics now, and that is a downer, but the little cars are still just about perfect. Thanks for the compliment too sir !

• Like 1

@John Byrd I’ve had two Miatas,  a new 1995 which I sold in 2000, and the 1991 I bought in 2009. I sold the ‘95 to my neighbor and every time he drove by we missed the car!  After so long I came across the ‘91 on Craigslist, with 28 K miles,  for $4800. Couldn’t pass that up, now have 50 K miles of smiles!

IMG_4840.png

• Like 3

This next "What are you working on ?" is so much of a bummer that I haven't taken a picture.... I would have had to get up out of the floor again, and at 75 and kinda' crippled up, well, I try not to do floors too often, lol... My motor scooter has a flat on the rear tire, so finding the leak and fixing it is a rather bad chore. We can ride on the road shoulders and bicycle/pedestrian paths here in Hawaii if we have 50cc or less bikes, so,  guess where the road crew swept glass in two places after car wrecks were moved ? Hmmm, wonder if they make solid tires for the scooters ? I don't weigh enough to make the suspension work anyway, lol ! Signed, Grumpy John

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, as part of a professional development day I had the opportunity to meet with the Director of the University of Maine, School of Engineering Technology as well as work with the faculty and students from their Construction Engineering Technology program. As part of their senior capstone experience, the students are working on several projects at the Maine Forest & Logging Museum including new roofing for the Bateaux and Pitsaw shelters, installing windows in Machinery Hall and working to complete the log hauler road. They also have additional projects going on with a number of other organizations in the area.

The log hauler road complex which includes the road, logging sled pavilion and a handicap accessible trail started in 2021 as a capstone project. Last year, focus was on the trail while this years work focuses on completing the road which will be used to demonstrate our collection of steam and gas powered Lombard log haulers and associated equipment during winter and summer events. 

As built in 2021, they had some alignment issues with saving a few very nice mature White pine trees and avoiding rock outcroppings and large boulders. Unfortunately the road ended up being a bit tight in places. In addition, the students ran out of time in regards to placing the finish material and final grading. The road itself was designed by students at the Presque Isle Tech Center.

The major work includes the reducing of a sizeable boulder and adjusting the alignment to ease the radius of the curve at what we call Mast Pine corner. As a bit of historical background - from the early colonial period until the revolutionary war Maine, which at that time was part of the Massachusetts colony, was a primary supplier of old growth White Pine for the use as masts by the British navy. To protect that resource the British enacted the hated Broad Arrow act. In fact later, in 1838, it was the cutting of Pine in the "disputed" territory (claimed by Maine and the British) that lead to the Aroostook War which in turn lead to the Webster-Ashburton treaty which finally settled the location of the northern border.

Anyway... here is Herb having a go with the jack hammer. Once the loose weathered material is removed the students will use expansive grout to break it into manageable pieces. Yes, a decent size excavator could take care of it in about a minute. However, the students work with equipment borrowed from various sources. Its always a roll of the dice in regards to what they can source.

IMG_0578.jpg.14a93aee15927386887fdf0e1436acf5.jpg

Here we have 270 yards of 2" minus gravel for the finish surface. Since the museum has a major event coming up in a few weeks there is a big rush to get the work done so they can have the parking lot back.

image000000.JPG.795f841a521b87cf32872b3c19641d26.JPG

I couldn't resist bringing out the 1928 Lombard dump truck to place at least one (albeit small) load. Though at 8 tons and a capacity of 4 cubic yards flush with the side boards, watching the wheeled loader etc. zipping around it became very obvious why the market for these machines was very short lived. 

IMG_0596.PNG.44f1ddd813ea3034be932d447f24c173.PNG

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 7

On 9/16/2023 at 2:09 PM, Terry Harper said:

... Mast Pine corner. As a bit of historical background - from the early colonial period until the revolutionary war Maine, which at that time was part of the Massachusetts colony, was a primary supplier of old growth White Pine for the use as masts by the British navy. To protect that resource the British enacted the hated Broad Arrow act. In fact later, in 1838, it was the cutting of Pine in the "disputed" territory (claimed by Maine and the British) that lead to the Aroostook War which in turn lead to the Wester-Ashburton treaty which finally settled the location of the northern border.

As a further to the above, after the Revolution Maine continued to supply masts to the Royal Navy although now they paid for them in gold. This went on right through the War of 1812, a conflict that was so unpopular in New England that in 1814, at the Hartford Convention, the New England states actually considered seceding from the US. The war ended shortly thereafter so nothing came of this but along the coast of Maine (which was still part of Massachusetts until 1821) trade with the British continued during the war.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Finally finishing restorations on 2 of my 65 Wildcats.  Both purchased in 1999.  I had been looking for a 4-speed 

starting in 1995.  I was settling on an automatic coupe and it was being shipped when I found a 4-speed coupe 

- a lead from Pete Phillips (editor of the Buick Bugle!) and I had another one coming from Texas.

Here is the one from Texas...just got paint correction.

IMG_2413.jpeg

• Like 10

Yesterday the University of Maine Construction Engineering students began Installing clerestory windows in the Lombard bay. There will be seven windows in total which will go a long way in improving the visitor experience.

We are off grid with no lighting in the Lombard bay so without the windows its a bit gloomy.

20230929_100736.jpeg.9fb06221553014911130b07b9a7a836f.jpeg

First rough opening cut!

20230929_125441.jpeg.ebff0920dc406eaca2da0546e20d8cbc.jpeg

20230929_152139.jpeg.c6eef152dd712664b13a4c0a1caa1f6b.jpeg

They installed two windows yesterday - five more to go!

20230929_152152.jpeg.d4d6e9ba653c8b801606d42232e8dcd4.jpeg

We will have the beasts out roaming about and many other activities and demonstrations during our Living History Days event on October 7th & 8th. https://www.maineforestandloggingmuseum.org/events/

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 11

28 minutes ago, TexRiv_63 said:

Looks like a nice one, what year?

I bought this ‘26 T from a long time friend. I would stop by his place in SE Minnesota 3-4 times a year to visit. Watched him restore this one. He has restored many cars and enjoys the process. He moves on to a new project and rarely drives the cars he restores, just parks them until someone comes along to buy one. He is 94 now, mentally sharp but the old bod is breaking down. He still has 10 or so cars, some restored, some just drivers. Wants to sell all but his asking is usually  high. He gave me a good deal though on the T.

Edited by Jeff Perkins / Mn (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We bought this little blue Sunbeam Tiger Friday on Maui and had it shipped over to us here on the Big Island. Picked it up Wednesday and drove to the house where we have started cleaning, changing out a few things, and driving it around. We had a red Tiger from 1983 to 2010 back on the mainland and really enjoy the little cars. Now the next problem will be cleaning, prepping,  and selling the Miata and the Studebaker... Won't I ever quit doing this ?, lol 

PXL_20230930_191925582.jpg

PXL_20230930_021035322.jpg

DSCN2669.JPG

PXL_20230930_022122860.jpg

DSCN2717.JPG

new tiger pic - Copy.JPG

2nd new tigerpic - Copy.JPG

• Like 14

After numerous (parts & outside service, etc) delays and hiccups (i.e. discoveries of additional/unrelated* issues/problems, etc), coupled with continuing inability to find competent/reliable shop employee/help, plaguing not only in this project, but all others I recently have been working on, I finally got to road test, albeit only briefly (2 x 3-4 miles). the rebuilt transaxle and all its external operating systems components this morning. 

Overall, everything appears/feels working quite well, but some fine-tuning adjustments and additional road testing (including some this weekend) still needed to verify success. 

*It is interesting how many problems can who-knows-many ill-equipped/-informed mechanics (or hacks ?) create in 85+ years, even in a relatively low mileage, well preserved (show winning ?), 3-owner car.

8FBF3A0E-3A75-424B-8F99-C6C6F6B178B5.jpeg

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 9

The 3D print was finished and painted and mounted, gotta love the creativeness of kids as they make history meet modern...glad they want to be part of the story...

Took my wife to breakfast this morning in our 32 Buick, a nice 35F morning with foliage and fog, and we couldn't believe the number of parents taking pics of our car with the creative theme hood ornament...we were glad to put a smile on their faces and with their kids, hopefully a delighter in their day.

Ordinarily I am all about correctness, but I don't mind spicing things up once in a while, life is too short to not live it abundantly and to the fullest...

20231020_185313.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Though not car related, Finally pretty much finished up this project that has consumed my entire summer and half the fall.  Glad to see it at this phase so I can ,move onto car things,  once I finish up the yard work and a new retaining wall behind it.  Atleast I think I'll get to the car things eventually. 

I peeled all the logs dragged them to the location and scribed / fit them.  All with no help what so ever.   The wife did help me put the ice shield on the roof,  after I got the first 2 rows on.   

The floor is 100 year old fir,  I recycled from some reclaimed lumber.  Of course I had to strip it,  then cut a new tongue and groove.  Didn't realize until I got it down that the boards varied by as much as an 1/8 of an inch in thickness because some must have been refinished at some point, possibly more than once and some were virgin.   I knocked the high spots down with a right angle grinder,  then belt sanded the whole thing with 50 grit paper at a 45 to get rid of the humps.  Then hit it with 50 on a random orbit sander to get rid of the belt sander marks.    Overall for a lean to floor it came out pretty well.  

The stone fireplace out front will have to wait until next year.

IMG_4740.JPG.6e7e5e22a34fd3e7843578161b0cc0d5.JPGIMG_3838.JPG.5d6e1eeca76db23ee9b9bbb3bd707c37.JPGimage.jpeg.14d1caaae27c6bfc44b16461f448366d.jpegIMG_3839.JPG.8909b6c31ed233e0e28328a5cc64af02.JPGIMG_3837.JPG.9736e47b23c9f2fefac1ccaf4bad8138.JPGIMG_4739.JPG.b397e3eb95df0aaa3c91026b7f8bfbb3.JPGimage.jpeg.d7edf073a12a2dc219336ebc8da5af27.jpeg

• Like 14