Oh no what did I do? Now I need a new Username.

auburnseeker

51 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Common issue too - lots of people do not understand the importance of top latches that actually work, proper tightening that damages the chrome, need to tighten latches pretty often, and ... (especially touring's and roadster's with folding windshields, as well as Auburn Convertible Sedans that have folding windshields too.

Hagerty probably has statistics on such. 

Thankfully, we've not (yet) had a top come loose in that manner - maybe because we rarely drive with the top "UP".

Aren't they mainly for long term storage😎?

Seriously - and even that is a rare occurrence, I do check the latches, wing nuts, brackets, handles, or other attaching hardware on folding tops because I once saw a top come loose on the car ahead of ours while touring US-90 at the Mississippi Gulf Coast - not a happy sight !

2-Man tops really do require that second person - generally the time at which my wife reminds me not to be terse with her, as in the past learned from the 1912 Oakland and 1914 Buick Touring Cars. The 1930 Packard 7-Passenge Touring is, as they say, a whole 'nother story.

The 1915 Hudson SIX-40 Phaeton has what they call a "One-Man Top" - but time, age, experience, finger-damage, repeated injuries, and nearly fifty-one (51) years of marriage to the same wonderful bride have taught me, is that even the "One-Man" top works better with two well-communicating partners, jointly functioning in harmony - and preferably prior to misunderstanding her navigational tour instructions, and the resulting heated discussion !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So the time is getting closer to dig into the mechanicals.  Of course with my Freind being almost 80 he has been distancing himself so though he's back he hasn't been able to come over yet to help me with the car.

I've wet sanded and polished just about every inch of the car,  excluding the side splash aprons.  I might even do those.  

I've shifted my effort to polishing up the Dodge Roadster.  That's base clear and the paint buffs alot harder,  plus it's a dark color so anything short of a mirror makes it look like you didn't get it fully buffed. 

I have to put an order in for some rubber parts for both cars and hope the company is still filling orders. 

I'm going to need to order a gasket set for Victoria's engine.  

Any recommendations on who to get it from?  I should probably go with a full set just in case I have to go all the way through it. 

This may be a crazy idea but maybe. If you know anyone in one of the well known restoration shops like RM or a shop you know does Auburn’s wouldn’t they be the best to call for ideas of where to get them. I’ve never had to worry about a high end restoration so it’s just a thought. 
Good luck

dave s 

On 3/12/2020 at 8:51 AM, auburnseeker said:

My friend is coming back from FL next week so unless he gets held up by the beer bug I'll have him give me a hand and dig into the mechanicals.  I want a second set of hands if we decide to start it, if I don't find anything that requires me to tear it all down. He can also help me determine how far we need to go if i do tear it down at all.  I want to do it right but if we are talking the rest is good and it only needs rod bearings to be OK then I wouldn't mind going that route so I can get it on the road to see if it needs much else. Some issues I won't find until it's running I'm sure.

I know the gas tank needs to be done as well. Wow smells like 20 year old gas and the inside looks pretty fuzzy. 

You may want to run it off of a "gas can" to get it going. 

25 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

You may want to run it off of a "gas can" to get it going. 

Definitely.  The gas tank is very crusty inside.  Nothing is being pulled out of that until it's been redone.  I'm looking at a parts car with a correct 2 speed rear, dental drive wheels, and a new gas tank among a few other worthwhile trinkets so that may solve the gas tank issue. 

• Like 1

I contacted Olson's and they do have a full set.  It's about $500 so I'll order that up this afternoon. My wife asked if I really needed the full set and just buy what I need.  I told her the shipping on gaskets that size is a pain and would most likely need something I didn't order,  so I'm going to get the full set. If I don't need it now,  Great.  That means less I'll have to spend all the way around on the other stuff I'm figuring worst cast scenario of. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I contacted Olson's and they do have a full set.  It's about $500 so I'll order that up this afternoon. My wife asked if I really needed the full set and just buy what I need.  I told her the shipping on gaskets that size is a pain and would most likely need something I didn't order,  so I'm going to get the full set. If I don't need it now,  Great.  That means less I'll have to spend all the way around on the other stuff I'm figuring worst cast scenario of. 

I have generally only ordered piecemeal, but along with some of the cars have come the boxed sets and sure enough I did into them - it really saves time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Small update.  I haven't gotten much done on Victoria as I switched to finishing some trim for the small garage and working on the 51 Dodge Roadster.  Gasket sets were on back order and should be back in stock now from what they said. 

I did just get my running board mldgs in.  Now I need to figure out how everything fits together and what clips / hardware holds them on. 

Here is a before shot of what's on the car now and the pieces laid out for comparison. 

I still find myself sneaking a peek at her every time I go by the garage. 

I was going to pull her out for some better outdoor photos the other day as it was beautiful out but ran out of time as I helped my son with a project I knew I was going to get suckered into.  The slight uphill grade to the garage might make it tough to get her back in as well.  With Corona no friends have been stopping by to help me push her in so I may have to tow her back in with a rope out the back door if I decide to go ahead with the photo shoot. 

IMG_3506.JPG

IMG_5542.JPG

IMG_5543.JPG

• Like 3

The original clips were square with a welded bolt stud through them, but modem clips work just fine (you don't see them).

In 1934, 35, and 36 they use a square headed nut to hold clip down - a square nut and a lock washer.

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/Moulding-Bolts_c_245.html

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Randy.......Ebay those lights and trunk, you can put the cash towards getting the Auburn on the road. 👌😷

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Randy.......Ebay those lights and trunk, you can put the cash towards getting the Auburn on the road. 👌😷

I leave them on there just to bug you. ;) 

I wouldn't mind swapping the Single pilot ray for a pair.  I'm not crazy about the Cyclops look of just one.  Surprised you haven't mentioned anything about the horns. 

I'm looking for a good pair of reflectors.  A shame they hacked mine as the silvering looks really good in them. 

Found a really good trunk that would look great on it,  but I think it's about an inch too wide in each direction. Very similar in design and hardware to the original Auburn trunk,  it's even cheap and somewhat local.  The more I measure though it's  going to just overhang the bumper and make it difficult to access the gas cap. It overhangs the rack on each side by atleast an inch.  I keep looking.  She has some paint issues that the trunk is hiding so I either need to repaint the back or put another trunk on.  Fortunately no rust just some weird paint chipping. 

Ordering the gasket set tomorrow.  Bought a bunch of rubber bits from Metro.   I'm trying to pace myself at $500 a week here in expenses.  Adds up pretty quick and the wife still keeps asking when she's going to get paid back. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

37 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Adds up pretty quick and the wife still keeps asking when she's going to get paid back. 

Just man up and tell her to shut up and get back in the kitchen.

Then she'll be too angry at you to even think about the money you're spending.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Just man up and tell her to shut up and get back in the kitchen.

Then she'll be too angry at you to even think about the money you're spending.

Yeah, but his new big shop doesn't have heat or a floor. May be awfully cold in there. Just sayin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Found a really good trunk that would look great on it,  but I think it's about an inch too wide in each direction. Very similar in design and hardware to the original Auburn trunk,  it's even cheap and somewhat local.  The more I measure though it's  going to just overhang the bumper and make it difficult to access the gas cap. It overhangs the rack on each side by atleast an inch.  I keep looking.  She has some paint issues that the trunk is hiding so I either need to repaint the back or put another trunk on.  Fortunately no rust just some weird paint chipping. 

Go with the top only opening trunk that is the correct size before you put one of wrong size on the car (less opennings keep out water better too) - a too large trunk will just be as awkward as the wrong currently too small trunk

• Like 1

And Ed is correct - take off those Lucas Flamethrower Spotlamps  and get them out on ebay - price them higher than the reproductions to start as plenty of people are seeking originals. 

As to the Pilot Ray - it is a factory accessory and you have the correct Auburn brackets (one of two styles offered for Auburn) - if you want to balance it a little better then mount your ACD emblem on one side of lamp and your CCCA badge on the other - and a set of 1931 plates on the license plate bracket/car. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

I finally dragged her out of the garage for some better photos.  It was a bit of a chore getting her back in as it's uphill and there is a bit of a bump to get her back in the door.

I got to admire her all day.  Almost felt like a peeping Tom.  

Still working on finding another trunk. 

I have the gasket set so I can drop the pan and see how far I need to dig into the engine.  Hopefully I can get to that soon.  Lots of other things to do on the ranch and the cars seem to come last. 

IMG_1441.JPG

IMG_1458.JPG

IMG_1465.JPG

IMG_1468.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2020 at 8:06 PM, auburnseeker said:

I'm not crazy about the Cyclops look 

Loved your latest photos and I like the single Pilot Ray.  Had a similar set up on my 29  Cadillac  Dual Cowl and have a pair on the 32 .  From an asthetic standpoint it parallels the  design of the human face  You already have dual running lights,mirrors, headlights and horns.  Dual Pilot Rays make it look cluttered in my opinion.  (Which probably isn't worth much)

• Like 1

Boy, I don't know. Yes I do, that car needs to be driven and enjoyed and seen! It may not be Pebble Beach ready (what is? Other than cars that have been there recently or being prepped for a year?).

It looks like the perfect "Drive it, enjoy it, improve something, and drive it and enjoy it some more, repeat" car.

My opinion (not that it is worth much?)? I have never been a big fan of Pilot Rays. But that is mostly because I have always leaned toward earlier cars than they would have been on originally. But I like the single on that car. It seems to punctuate the front of the car and makes a statement. If it is installed correctly (and it is said to be correct), I would keep it that way. If there is any chance it is original to the car? It should stay that way.

That is my opinion.

Bet you didn't get much done today? I could spend (already nearly have) an hour just looking at the pictures!

• Haha 1

Randy, I'm gone send you some tools so you can toss the trunk and the extra light on ebay to sell. Looks very good outside. Colors look better than the initial photos. I think a wire wheel color change, side mount covers, and black walls would make it look like a new car. White walls would possibly be ok......they can look busy, but you got to run covers if you have white walls, the side mount becomes distracting and ruins the lines if not covered up. Time for a compression check, and drop the pan.............Drain the oil through a white cloth to catch any nasties the drain with the oil. 

• Like 1

Bob, your on the money.........tire is probably a different brand. The four on the ground were last sold in 1968..........so the tires on the car are only two years younger than me! They are known to become rock hard and fail from that manufacturer, so I recommend NO DRIVIG AT ALL until replacement. Guess how I know why?

And take off those dam side mount mirrors also!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

The mirrors might be original Auburn Accessories.  They have the Auburn shield on the back with enough patina they look like they could be from 31.  Though they probably are useless to actually use as a mirror.  Working on finding a better trunk that fits.  Have the sidemount covers,  just have to refinish them.  Northfield forming's card I got with my runningboard moldings says they make sidemount cover trim. I have to check into that. 

You are right the tires are totally different sizes.  The sidemount tires are too small.  A 5.25 the covers don't even fit them as the tier would flop around inside it. The Martins are probably too big.  Something in between would be a good size. Atleast a 6.00 size I would think. 

Atleast I pulled the flame throwers for you.  Baby steps. 

Today I have the excavator out on the edge of swamp clearing out a nice spot for the ducks.  Everything seems to take priority over the cars these days. 

Ironically while I was cutting some of the brush, there was a wild duck swimming about 15 feet from me,  seemingly not caring I was working.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Bob, your on the money.........tire is probably a different brand. The four on the ground were last sold in 1968..........so the tires on the car are only two years younger than me! They are known to become rock hard and fail from that manufacturer, so I recommend NO DRIVIG AT ALL until replacement. Guess how I know why?

And take off those dam side mount mirrors also!

I didn't want to post this, but it may cause a phone call to Coker. 

Blue Hill Ave.jpg

Better photos, thought I'd try again. Chrome (like on the trim rings) is really hard to fake. This isn't quite the shade of red I'd recommend, I'd choose something slightly darker and a little less brick red, but trying to get the color right AND still have the spokes and contours show through always affects the final color. But you get the idea.

Add a pinstripe to match the wheels to bring out the beltline moldings a little better.

I still like a black top on this car, too.

Randy_Render_New.thumb.jpg.fa80a4d6fb2146560cc3504bd7654add.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Could I see the wheels & belt molding in green, please. 

And chrome.....if Randy hits the lottery!😎

• Thanks 1

Your car, like most cars, looks a lot better out in the daylight. Even the yellow looks better in daylight. It is starting to grow on me. I'm almost sorry I made fun of it before. I would keep the light top and WW's with yellow wheels too.  Contrasting wheels and/or black tires stand out like a sore thumb on a light car, especially under light fenders.  I focus on a contrasting color and not the entire car.

Cars have a top, body, belt molding, pin stripe, fenders, wheels, tires & interior.  Just my opinion but no more than 2 or 3 colors on a Classic. More than 3 and it looks over done. The Auburn looks 2-tone almost monotone outside with brown interior. Just right IMO. You focus on the overall car and not some od color component of it. It could use a subtle stripe of medium or light gray. There's no need for the wheels or stripe to "light up" from 100 feet away.

Being forced under penalty of law these past weeks, to spend quality time at home with the wife, we have been watching some old 1930's black & white movies. I've noticed a lot of big, open, early 30's Classics that look almost white so they must be yellow, cream or a light gray or tan. Body, fenders & wheels same color. I would have expected to see more black fenders. Belts seem to be the same color as body or sometimes contrasting.  WW seem to be on about half the Classics, mostly open cars. I don't see many WW on non-Classics.

As others have said, the car needs a better trunk but would look naked without one. Too much fender behind the body.

Just my opinions. If you don't like the Auburn the way it is, I will take it off your hands.

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Randy........Cars come last? Something is wrong with your priorities! 

Well I am married and being locked down with the wife (not that bad) but with the three kids, one  of which is beyond challenging, now having to homeschool them as well, I try to keep the wife happy.  Remember the shut down made her lose her job as well and she's not collecting unemployment. I tread lightly when around.  Thankfully my business has been doing well so the overall household is not in a crunch.   Still the wife is beyond stressed out as I'm listening to the trouble making adopted child argue with her again.  She must have really done something wrong in a past life to get this kind of daily shellacking.  We have tried everything legally admissable for punishment and nothing works he just keeps telling us kids his age don't have to mind their parents and we can't take things away because they are his.  Yet we have boxes of stuff we have taken away, but he still doesn't get it.  Only 5 more years of our life before we can kick him out.   Hopefully we both make it. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)