Oh no what did I do? Now I need a new Username.

auburnseeker

I remember that one.  The guy didn't talk to me so I thought it needed mechanical work.  I looked it over.  I was thinking he wanted 65 for it.  I could be wrong.  I remember cosmetically it was very weak.  That photo made it look much better than it was.  Later I read it was mostly original so I could excuse some of the patina but at the price even with fresh mechanics I wasn't real interested.  Partly because i didn't have the money anyways.  I was surprised to see it though as I normally go in a different gate but with the construction was rerouted to this gate and there it was.  Still happier I held out for the Convertible sedan and mine came with wires, better chrome, a better interior. 😉 

• Like 1

That is the true shade of the paint, funny how the photo I stole off the web shows it as a deep green. It would be interesting if that is the same paint that was on the car when it arrived from Bunny Phillips shop @1975. It had two maybe 3 owners since the Williamson sale. Won its class at Pebble Beach 2019, still stunning. Bob 20180902_093048.jpg

6 hours ago, edinmass said:

Ok, I have a question, if green is so bad, why do several cars in green hold world record prices?

There are several examples........WO Bentley is an example, among a bunch of others.

British Racing Green BRG on what is considered a sporty car  for England is an exception to the rule of thumb.

Interestingly, most everything we have ever had that is British is red. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

All I am saying with Green is that the only things I hear more complaints on is White and then Tan/Brown/Orange or "Stick Around Brown" and if you want to do some test cases, we will take your money and your car then paint it Green and see if you think that you get top dollar.   And, I have  discounted a couple of times and proceeded anyway to have reminders come back pretty quick.   So, in painting projects, I am going to try to avoid Greens (albeit I am sure I will have more than my fair share of Green cars over the future). 

I will confess to painting my cars in any dam color I please.......to hell with the experts. That said, I try and stay tasteful and in the neighborhood of peroid correct. On important historic cars, I always try for the exact factory color if it can be determined. Or a correct factory color that can be proven. As Steve said....just a few shades different, and you get an entirly different look.....that doesn't assault the senses.............

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe for the most part,  that's why so many companies offered convertibles for years until the 70's when most axed them. Sales of many were never that great.  Some 30's cars like Chrysler only saw 1000 or so units made when compared to tens if not hundreds of thousands of sedans.  I'm sure they didn't make a whole lot of money on those convertibles if you figure in tooling and what not as well.   They drove people into the sales room where they finally realized that well i came in because i like the convertible 2 seat model but need a family car.  The styling is similar so I'm not giving up everything when I buy the counterpart sedan.    Ford even used it as a selling point in their advertising by touting Thunderbird Design when the Tbird was still a 2 seater. . 

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

A heater and that Auburn Could be pretty Cozy. Maybe there is enough heat off the big 8 through the firewall that you don't need one. 😉 

Try a couple hour drive - you will be pretty happy to get out.  

We have done the drive to ACD Festival and on a 100 degree day it is pretty unbearable, but on an 85 degree day it is not too bad until the car gets heat sink to the point that every part on is is engine temperature. 

Interestingly, most "restoration" is where the error happens - the cars had tar on the interiors of the cowls matched to a horsehair pad under a cardboard pad on cowls and on floors had a horsehair pad on the underside of a rubber floor mat - it actually works pretty well over what people do in restoration. Plus, you have to have all the gaskets/groumets in place.

I generally always have heaters in our cars - I just have shut off's on both hose sides and do not run coolant through them. 

A good Art Deco "Tropic Aire" brand  Heater is always a nice touch - saw this one on ebay.

971500415_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.f68844f07c7b16431c5ba5ff67e0737c.jpg

I've seen those for sale.  I might keep my eye out for one.  I probably won't use it extensively when it's cold out.  We always have some around the ranch rush projects to get done in the fall and seem to not get out much as we are trying to get stuff done.  In the Spring it seems by the time the roads are clear and it's nice enough to use the cars it's 60 plus degrees out atleast.

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

From John Mereness: “Basically, enjoy your car, make it better every time you touch - little stuff, and after you have driven it a while then make more major decisions.”

It took me a long time to learn that. Too many friends bogged down on “projects” I am having a sign painter friend make one with that quote for my shop.

Now back to our topic, well, sort of.

I vote for deep maroon wheels and whitewalls on the Auburn. I always wanted to do that with my Model A Cabriolet but never did.

• Like 4

Ok very small update for anyone wondering.  Finally got the heater working after baysitting it and trying everything under the sun to make it run.  I believe it has a faulty sensor (it's got a computer motherboard with alot of fail safes) that's only tripped when it tries to start after running,  but not on initial startup where it runs fine.  I got really frustrated and finally took the one i took out and replaced with the unit I have been battling with, put the new gasket set in it , all the parts I robbed off it to try to keep the installed one going and it fired right up and has been running fine ever since.  I found later that it originally quit because of a plugged fuel supply line between the pump and the burner.  I's about 3/32 and cokes up from the burner.  Seems the guy I bought these from that rebuilds them,  must not be cleaning out this line when he rebuilds them.  

Anyways I was able to take a few more minutes and do a little more wet sanding and buffing on Victoria.  It's a shame someone buggered the front fender,  then touched it up fairly well,  only to have someone else bugger the same fender again only to touch it up with a brush and whatever tan paint they could find on the shelf.  The first respray after fixing the fender wasn't terrible and only a shade off that when wet sanded and buffed out was hard to see the transition line.   I'm trying to keep the paint work to a minimum.  I don't mind the thin paint in spots and really no checking or cracking so it's on there pretty well. 

The chrome on the headlights is pretty nice. 

I didn't pull the lenses yet but I'm pretty sure the reflectors have been cut to allow for the seal beams to be impregnated inside.

Unfortunately with the heater I have had little time to do much,  but now hopefully I have rounded the bend.  

I did join the ACD club the other day.

It needs running board moldings and covers. 

The radiator cap might have the wrong guts as the top of the neck of the radiator is about flush with the top of the shell so it's just the cap making it stick up. 

I told the wife I hate to have to repaint that fender but I'm going to have to.  She said just mix up some better touch up and paint over the fix with a brush like they did.  LOL 

IMG_3190.JPG

IMG_3194.JPG

IMG_3191.JPG

IMG_3192.JPG

IMG_3193.JPG

• Like 3

I got these sidemount covers last summer from a cousin.  Said someone gave them to him and he thought they were Ford. 

Unfortunately I didn't want to tear one of the spares out and the Martins on it are quite a bit larger than the sidemount tires but I tried the rings on my 32 Ford's Tire which measures the same diameter as the sidemount tires.  The sidemount tires are narrower though so the outer rings will sit down over the tire better.  Looks like I might have a match.  I do have a pair of them as well and these two pieces are in the worst shape of the pair so hopefully these will work out.  The stainless is a bit banged up but I do stainless straightening and polishing so I should be good to go. 

IMG_3197.JPG

IMG_3198.JPG

IMG_3199.JPG

The Ford covers I have seen have an extra rib or step right where they meet the rim I do have one Ford face plate with that rib in it and it's smaller for a 16 inch wheel for sure.  I'll get the measurement for sure later to check.  The problem I have had is just about every Auburn I have found seems to have a different style cover and most don't have any at all.  Still crossing my fingers they are right.  

Actually I wasn't going for color on those ones I posted but sidemount styles, they just happened to be in a similar color to my car.  Trying to determine what's correct and what's acceptable. Remembering it's not going to be judged in any way.  It's not that type of car.  But. I would like the sidemounts to look somewhat correct, not like a pair of conversion van spare tires.