Oh no what did I do? Now I need a new Username.

auburnseeker

I have a pair of plain metal rings for the tread part of the sidemount. Repros, unfinished, probably generic fit. But they could be painted or chromed to look like the yellow car with red accents and the M4-3103 license plate, above.

I'll let you know what I come up with.  I do have a pair of those ones I showed which would look fitting when put on the correct tire.  I'll probably have to pull the sidemount tire out to get a better pic.  They look very close to what's on the Maroon car.  I did see one photos of some Auburns in a showroom and the one had what looked like the ones you mentioned that had the smooth chrome rings.

Does anyone have an original list of accessories with sidemount covers shown? I have a sales brochure but they are all artists renditions which we know may not be correct as they often took liberties.  

3 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Yes I mixed up  olor, touch up and sidemount conversation.  Its a fast moving thread...But at least another Auburn made it into the thread.  🙂

Well the thread is moving faster than the work on the car but yup another Auburn mentioned so all is good. 😉 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 8:18 PM, auburnseeker said:

I got these sidemount covers last summer from a cousin.  Said someone gave them to him and he thought they were Ford. 

Unfortunately I didn't want to tear one of the spares out and the Martins on it are quite a bit larger than the sidemount tires but I tried the rings on my 32 Ford's Tire which measures the same diameter as the sidemount tires.  The sidemount tires are narrower though so the outer rings will sit down over the tire better.  Looks like I might have a match.  I do have a pair of them as well and these two pieces are in the worst shape of the pair so hopefully these will work out.  The stainless is a bit banged up but I do stainless straightening and polishing so I should be good to go. 

IMG_3197.JPG

IMG_3198.JPG

IMG_3199.JPG

Congratulations:  I would say you are good to go on the tire covers - they will work out great.  

Here is the secret - sometimes you need to get a one size smaller tire for under the cover and I have also taken a grinder to the edge of the tire and knocked the corner off one side or another - that allows the tread covers to fit down a little lower on the  tire and meet up better on the faceplates. 

So, have the yellow paint matched and while you are doing that then you can do a little touch up on the fender too (just touch it up for now though).

By the way, you may be LOL at your wife's suggestion of brushing paint onto issue, but I have a sign painter who makes house calls and would not be the first time - and have done it on some near 100 point cars too (we just took mode time).  Also, remember on the fender you are painting the belt edge maroon - so 1/2 the touch up will be seen.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

I wasn't against touching it up again as I really hate to get into tearing everything apart as we all know where that leads.  I could air brush it in and even wet sand and buff it like I did the bigger repair.  It would be much less noticeable especially when I get around to painting the fender beading.  

At some point I need to get running board covers.  What's on there is definitely far from correct and shorter than the boards.  The moldings look like Door moldings off a 50's or 60's  car.  I saw some recommendation for a company that makes the right moldings but no reference for who is doing the rubber. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 9:51 AM, auburnseeker said:

Does anyone have an original list of accessories with sidemount covers shown?

Not sure how much this will help but this is what it looks like in the accessory book.  I would suggest you post on the ACD website now that you are a member, and welcome.

P2210142.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for the link.  That's what I was looking for.  When I save up a little I'll have to get an order in.  

The covers I have sure look pretty close.  I'll take a sidemount out today to see what it looks like all wrapped up and post a photo. 

I have some dings to take out but that's not a big deal.  Having the right pieces is most of the battle. 

• Like 1

Correct:  http://www.northfieldltd.com/runningboardmats.html

That said you have a few other options - you can shoot an email to Stan Gilliland at  Auburn Cord Parts - you can PM me if you need Stan's email

Also you may try:

http://www.runningboardrubbermats.com/matreproductionlist.html

http://www.runningboardrubber.com/running_board_rubber_mats.html

As a sidnote:  This is like a 1K project plus shipping (just did not want you to have sticker shock) 

• Like 1

I want to say my running board moldings came from Stan Gilliland - I recall them being a two part affair with one part being Auburn specialized and the other part being generic.

As to the generic part.

http://www.maxmerrittauto.com/showpage.php?page=body-molding.htm

As to running board molding - I put a post out on ACD form for you and will let you know the answer. 

In the mean time, please shoot a photo of what you have on your running-boards for time currently and post or PM me.

Here are some shots of the sidemount and my poorly covered running board.  Seems the tire is a little smaller than it should be by the fit of the cover and the space around it in the well once I installed it. I had trouble getting it to stay where it should in the well because of the undersized tire as it kept rocking the ring forward. 

IMG_3503.JPG

IMG_3504.JPG

IMG_3505.JPG

IMG_3506.JPG

IMG_3507.JPG

IMG_3508.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

Curious if anyone reproduces that stainless band that goes around the outer ring.  I can straighten and polish it,  but wow I don't think there is an inch on it that isn't dented or semi flattened. 

Yup........the Duesenberg guys make them.......bought a set several months ago.............you don't want to know.............

Randy......you needed new tires and tubes anyways, and black walls should be ordered ASAP. Wheel color change, throw the trunk in the basement and the extra lights on eBay. Then, the only thing the car will need to add significant eyeball is me sitting on the front seat. Perfection!👍👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I better get it running before we worry about tires.  No sense in new rubber if I can't drive it.  That will be next month.  My friend will be back and give me a hand to prime it up good and see what we have. It's good to have 2 sets of hands for a first start up.   I have found enough stuff that rattles and is loose just cleaning to wonder if a noisy engine might not be everything else rattling and banging.  I know i can't get that lucky but lots of little things to address, including a brand new muffler wedged against the frame rail.  

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

18 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Curious if anyone reproduces that stainless band that goes around the outer ring.  I can straighten and polish it,  but wow I don't think there is an inch on it that isn't dented or semi flattened. 

Try here:  https://www.ecklers.com/spare-tire-cover-trim-ring-stainless-steel-moulding-bead-only-16-ford-32-15207-1.html

16 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I better get it running before we worry about tires.  No sense in new rubber if I can't drive it.  That will be next month.  My friend will be back and give me a hand to prime it up good and see what we have. It's good to have 2 sets of hands for a first start up.   I have found enough stuff that rattles and is loose just cleaning to wonder if a noisy engine might not be everything else rattling and banging.  I know i can't get that lucky but lots of little things to address, including a brand new muffler wedged against the frame rail.  

Here is my best advice:  It is sort of a dual effort - I am quick to grab any part that I need for an Auburn on the day it is available, as the next day is often a whole different story. 

• Like 1

What is your tire pressure in the sidemounted spares - I always hear of too tight a fit on covers, so I am surprised when I see anything else ? 

Any way about it though you have a very good problem to have as too big is easier to deal with than too small.  You can always add a flap of thick felt to the underside of the cover.

Keep in mind too that your leather straps will go UNDER the tire covers (between tire cover and tire)=  that will take up some space.  

And, yes I know the accessory brochure shows over - but, then you need really nice straps, they mess the paint all up on the covers, and ....

Just now, auburnseeker said:

That looks like a black and white photo of my car back in the day.  Did they change filler neck locations?  Mine is on the other side or was this just a better angle for the promotional photo?

The fellow has the hose in the proper driver's side location - he is holding the hose so it does not lay across their car.  And, yes this is a publicity photo.  

Enjoying this thread, but we are heading into page 20 on a congratulatory thread to Auburnseeker. May I suggest A/S that you open a new thread devoted to "Refurbishing/Restoring/Drooling over a 193?'s Auburn Phaeton/Convertible Sedan" etc. Would be easier to search for in future for Auburn Enthusiasts. JMHO.

8 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I did find this company that reproduces the runningboard trim.

Get on the Phone and order up a set - yes, a two part affair - you have the Auburn specific molding and then over the top of that (he has in black) there is a 1/4 round with tipped ends.

You may also want to try here - he use to have them, but it has been a couple of years:  samsonized@hotmail.com 847-987-2928

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

You'll be driving yours before me. 😉 

I can  hope, the drivetrain is sitting on a stand and ready to drop in - then needs head and accessories installed (which head is new and all accessories are sitting on workbench next to engine and all ready to go).   Hopefully, this weeks project is getting the wooden floor boards back in and all parts around the front seat base; and thereafter the cowl needs everything installed.  

That said, this car was taken apart to restore in the late 1960's, I have had for several years now, and ...

I did just hear back from the Running board molding guy and all he sells is the 1/2" 1/2 Round molding not the wide one.  I wonder if any other car used a rocker molding with teh right profile.  I have a bunch of NOS rocker moldings .  Pretty close might be better than nothing at all. Time for a trip up in the loft. 

Does anyone have a close up picture of a correct running board with trim that would show the proper profile in relation to the fender bead? 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

On 2/22/2020 at 10:30 PM, auburnseeker said:

I did just hear back from the Running board molding guy and all he sells is the 1/2" 1/2 Round molding not the wide one.  I wonder if any other car used a rocker molding with teh right profile.  I have a bunch of NOS rocker moldings .  Pretty close might be better than nothing at all. Time for a trip up in the loft. 

Does anyone have a close up picture of a correct running board with trim that would show the proper profile in relation to the fender bead? 

No, it is an Auburn specific part - John Bools in North Carolina makes the part for a V-12, but it is longer and would need to be trimmed - John is restoring a V-12 Phaeton and had the chassis on displayed at Auburn at ACD Festival this year - he does top notch everything.  I will PM you John's email and contact information.  

If John Bools has a pair, then Jump on it and eat peanut butter and jelly for a week.  As mentioned, when Auburn parts are available today you get them as tomorrow is a whole other story (and if you need to make something you are generally 1K plus in the first whatever). 

As to the 1/2 round bead - If John makes that part it would be too long and really cannot be trimmed too well - as V-12 are longer wheelbase and length is in both front fenders and running boards.

L & L generally makes everyhting from aluminum, and if not ALL is coming from L & L then I would go with stainless pinbead from Max Merritt http://www.maxmerrittauto.com/showpage.php?page=body-molding.htm