Oh no what did I do? Now I need a new Username.

auburnseeker

I got to do some more random wet sanding and buffing as well as cleaned up the dash and inner windshield trim.  Did a bunch of other random nickel pieces.  I'm going to pull the rear seat and clean that up tomorrow. I pulled it up today to see if there was storage underneath, hoping to find the wrench for the wheels but no storage under there. 

I found an original Owner's manual on Ebay and picked that up. Surprising how small the car is inside when it looks so big from the outside as I spent an hour behind the wheel cleaning stuff up. I'll definitely have to wear my smaller shoes to drive it comfortably.  My big clumsy work boots seem to get in the way.  Guess they weren't designed for guys over 6 foot tall and definitely not for guys with a Belly which I fortunately don't have. All the more reason to stay in shape. 

IMG_5110.JPG

IMG_5104.JPG

fullsizeoutput_1897.jpeg

IMG_5109.JPG

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Car looks nice.........my rule of thumb is at 6’1” I generally need a chassis length of 138 inches, and I still feel cramped. 142-148 seem to fit me most comfortably, but they tend to cost more than my budget can afford.  Looking forward to you getting the mechanical’s going, and getting the tires on and the wheels painted. 

54 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Car looks nice.........my rule of thumb is at 6’1” I generally need a chassis length of 138 inches, and I still feel cramped. 142-148 seem to fit me most comfortably, but they tend to cost more than my budget can afford.  Looking forward to you getting the mechanical’s going, and getting the tires on and the wheels painted. 

I have noticed little correlation between wheelbase and driver room aside from an inverse relationship on expensive cars, or rather cars that were big and expensive when new. The guy driving the car would often be “the help” and nobody cared if he was comfortable.

9 minutes ago, gossp said:

I have noticed little correlation between wheelbase and driver room aside from an inverse relationship on expensive cars, or rather cars that were big and expensive when new. The guy driving the car would often be “the help” and nobody cared if he was comfortable.

You can say that again, brother! 139 inch wheelbase and at 5'10" I still drive with my legs akimbo around the steering wheel.

1908845622_IMG_20160818_1931566051a.thumb.jpg.b2b11801b30cf95353a0ce7c1080792e.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

You can say that again, brother! 139 inch wheelbase and at 5'10" I still drive with my legs akimbo around the steering wheel.

1908845622_IMG_20160818_1931566051a.thumb.jpg.b2b11801b30cf95353a0ce7c1080792e.jpg

Matt.........I only collect 1929-1936, the later stuff might be tighter up front for more room in the back. I’m 6’1” and can fit comfortably in MOST of the larger Classics. Getting in and out can be a challenge, but once settled in, most of the time several hours behind the wheel is not too difficult. Recently did 800 miles in four days on difficult back country roads, and was able to still enjoy the ride.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Matt.........I only collect 1929-1936, the later stuff might be tighter up front for more room in the back. I’m 6’1” and can fit comfortably in MOST of the larger Classics. Getting in and out can be a challenge, but once settled in, most of the time several hours behind the wheel is not too difficult. Recently did 800 miles in four days on difficult back country roads, and was able to still enjoy the ride.

I'll let you know how Victoria is once I get her on the road.  I sat in the driving position with my feet where they would be driving while working on the dash the other day for an hour.  Not the same as driving but was surprised I think there is more room in My Hudson Pickup which is known for a fairly tight cab. 

Worse case scenario,  I'll just have to take up some Yoga classes to become a little more agile.   

Probably won't help though as the only thing that I learn to stretch is my eyeballs. ;) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

16 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Surprising how small the car is inside when it looks so big from the outside as I spent an hour behind the wheel cleaning stuff up.

Guess they weren't designed for guys over 6 foot tall and definitely not for guys with a Belly which I fortunately don't have. All the more reason to stay in shape.

IMG_5109.JPG

"Surprising how small car is inside" - Yes, that is why I said to get the village looking for a proper luggage trunk aka been there done that project and proves important for true usefulness of car  :)

As to size, if you drive the car a lot you may find you need to have the front seat back partially unstuffed (most everyone I know that drives has had all the cotton removed and the springs faced with thick layer of felt - gives you another 1 to 2" space and that is a huge difference.   Also, you may have to play around with the angle on the lower seat cushion mount and .... 

My 31 Phaeton had a toolbox under front seat - not really big, but did prove useful nevertheless.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

17 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Just ordered my Running board moldings.  Should be ready in about 2 months.  Now to find the rubber. 

I keep getting told that this is the only supplier - http://www.northfieldltd.com/runningboardmats.html

By the way, their work is very nice and I have had their parts on several cars over years.

And at $975.00 plus shipping - a good buy.

On 2/27/2020 at 11:17 PM, auburnseeker said:

I'll let you know how Victoria is once I get her on the road.  I sat in the driving position with my feet where they would be driving while working on the dash the other day for an hour.  Not the same as driving but was surprised I think there is more room in My Hudson Pickup which is known for a fairly tight cab. 

Worse case scenario,  I'll just have to take up some Yoga classes to become a little more agile.   

Probably won't help though as the only thing that I learn to stretch is my eyeballs. ;) 

I have driven a '33 Auburn 12 Salon Phaeton Sedan pretty extensively.  I found the driver's seat very comfortable.  The only drawback is the placement of the windshield wiper motors which seem to be strategically located so your knuckles bark against them at inopportune times. 

These are great cars and I am absolutely green with envy.  I hope to join you in the fulfillment of a drean club this spring. Yours is a great car. Well bought.

• Like 1

Looks like the board matts with glue and shipping will run $1125,  then $475 for the trim.  so $1500,  if I don't include possibly having them blasted to make sure the matts stick properly.  Do you paint then glue them to the painted board or does the matt get glued directly to the raw metal?  I would think atleast an epoxy primer or something should be used.  I haven't seen the directions yet.  Matts are about 2-3 weeks out. 

I'll order them later today or tomorrow. 

I get done with those I'll have to get covers made to keep the running boards from getting dirty. ;) 

22 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

So I'll have a pair of mint runningboards on my ratty old car. ;) 

That's the way it works - you get the stuff when it is available :)  And sort of like a new set of tires and repainted wheels or new hubcaps and ... - amazing what it will do in "picking-up" a car. 

I am not sure you need to go the route of epoxy paints on the running boards, but they do need to be rust free on the top as you do not want rust to start due to any reason under your runningboard covers.  The last set I did, I sandblasted tops and used Rustolium Rust Converter Primer from a rattle can and a mist coat of rustolium automotive Black - both products are amazingly tough as nails and surprisingly "cool" products (the undersides were actually pretty nice having been sprayed with enamel via prior owner (they were trying to preserve original mats from a time period when reproduction mats were not available). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ericmac said:

I have driven a '33 Auburn 12 Salon Phaeton Sedan pretty extensively.  I found the driver's seat very comfortable.  The only drawback is the placement of the windshield wiper motors which seem to be strategically located so your knuckles bark against them at inopportune times. 

These are great cars and I am absolutely green with envy.  I hope to join you in the fulfillment of a drean club this spring. Yours is a great car. Well bought.

My Auburn has a host of marks on the windshield glass from people's rings 

• Like 1

I've driven a lot of cars and have found none so inconveniently placed as Auburn's wiper motors. Both the early and late cars seem to have them perfectly placed to tear up your knuckles when you're really cranking the wheel. Didn't anyone at the factory drive the first prototype and say, "Hey, guys, we should move these a bit..."

I suppose you get used to it, though, and all cars have their foibles. If that's the worst thing about an Auburn, I'd call that a fair trade-off.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2020 at 10:06 AM, John_Mereness said:

If John Bools has a pair, then Jump on it and eat peanut butter and jelly for a week.

So I was wondering,  since I don't eat out more than once or twice a year and work from home so lunch is in the kitchen home made every day with only on sale ingredients (the wife is a notorious Couponer) How many peanut butter and Jelly sandwiches am I going to have to make  to make up the difference?  I figure lunch now is about .50.  PB and J maybe .25.  I drink water with lunch so now way to save money there.  It's going to take a long time at .25 each day savings to save up for those boards. ;) 

That's probably how I afforded it in the first place.  If I stretch a dollar any further it's going to split and not in a good way. 

In all seriousness, the Auburn reproduction parts supply tends to run in cycles of obtainable, un-obtainable, obtainable but we do not like the quality, fabulous - though they only made 6,  wow that is expensive, huh that is surprisingly affordable, and ....  

All said and done though, it is a blessing to have bought something prior to it becoming unobtainium, as rule of thumb is that it is 1K plus to get the first one made (ex. we went for 5 years if not longer with no 35-36 hubcaps, with all of us restoring originals that only came out marginal, waiting for someone to front the 10K plus to get the first reproduction one made).   The fellow who was making them died and the tooling was apparently lost or prior to his death no longer serviceable.  And then reproductions were available for two or so year and now are again not available. 

I figured it out early.  It was easier to be frugal than become rich. Wish it was easier to get rich,  I would have gone that route.   By the way there is a big difference between being frugal and being Cheap.  You can all see that in my garage build thread. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I figured it out early.  It was easier to be frugal than become rich. Wish it was easier to get rich,  I would have gone that route.   By the way there is a big difference between being frugal and being Cheap.  You can all see that in my garage build thread. 

Often wonder if the "Major Collectors" made the money first then got into cars? 

Bob 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

So I was wondering,  since I don't eat out more than once or twice a year and work from home so lunch is in the kitchen home made every day with only on sale ingredients (the wife is a notorious Couponer) How many peanut butter and Jelly sandwiches am I going to have to make  to make up the difference?  I figure lunch now is about .50.  PB and J maybe .25.  I drink water with lunch so now way to save money there.  It's going to take a long time at .25 each day savings to save up for those boards. ;) 

That's probably how I afforded it in the first place.  If I stretch a dollar any further it's going to split and not in a good way. 

Skip the jelly and you can do it faster 😀

Ok so I decided we'll just skip lunch entirely so I can get the stuff bought before I turn 100.  Should work out in a few years. 

Anyways,  I ordered the running board moldings, Bought the matts, He had those (last pair made right now) in stock and was going to ship them right out.

I finished cleaning the interior today and decided to take the back seats out to clean them  (surprisingly only a few turds and none of the other disgusting mess)  but they relocated a bunch of the batting from my seats.  Still not sure which one, unless they really had them over stuffed.  While out I decided to really clean out the tail pan area.  I got a vacuum and made some extensions that could flex and really cleaned it out.  I found no rust holes or repairs,  so thats a good thing.  Wood bracing all looks good as well. Looks like the original rear window got broke at some point by some chunks of glass and I found these two treasures back there while vacuuming it out.  

An old small perfume bottle and a neat pair of Wilson brand sunglasses in pretty good shape.  I can imagine some girl acting like a movie star while riding around in the back on a nice sunny day. Folded them up to put them in her pocket and they slipped through the crack in the seat only to sit back there for the next 80 years undiscovered until today. 

One of the neater finds I have had,  though not really all that exciting. 

IMG_6013.JPG

IMG_6014.JPG

• Like 3

As Moe said to Curley when he asked what’s for dinner.......”You will have nothing, and like it!”

• Like 2

I am glad you ended up with that car @auburnseeker I looked at that myself. However I still have the engine on my boattail apart and my coupe is amost done the body wood. However, may i sugest the Duesenberg A as the next goal. In my opinion the prices are resonable on the less sporty bodies.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vintagerodshop said:

I am glad you ended up with that car @auburnseeker I looked at that myself. However I still have the engine on my boattail apart and my coupe is amost done the body wood. However, may i sugest the Duesenberg A as the next goal. In my opinion the prices are resonable on the less sporty bodies.

Nothing is more expensive than a “cheap Duesenberg!”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

IMG_6014.JPG

I have not had too many great finds, the 1941 Cadillac had a bunch of baby nooks/teething rings and enough Irish Setter hair to build a dog (and the owner's wife sprayed her hair in car and it was stuck to literally everything - a drapery shop came out and cleaned interior).  And, in the 1932 RR PI they used the divider window as a piggy bank for their pocket change - it was packed with Liberty dollars, wheat pennies, and ...

4 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Ed, I have found the parts price hierarchy is something like Duesenberg, Rolls-Royce, Ferrari, Cord, Packard, Auburn, Porsche, Mercedes, and ...

I once tried to buy some Maxwell parts off a rolls Royce guy..... key word being tried. 

I am going to need a set of reflectors for the headlights.  I didn't disassemble them yet but I can clearly see they cleanly notched them for the Sealed beams to fit inside. 

I'm looking into a parts car that is suppose to come with a bunch of headlight parts,  but that's not a guarantee to include what I need. 

I was surprised I bought some Cord stuff very reasonably , but then again the guy had restored several Cords and was getting out of it,  so he was cleaning out.  Nice parts as well.  All rechromed,  show quality stuff and some nice rebuilt mechanical bits. 

Now I just need to find the same type of guy for my Auburn. ;)   Fortunately it doesn't really need alot.  

• Like 1