Oh no what did I do? Now I need a new Username.

auburnseeker

37 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Please have him do a dark MAROON wheel - too orangish and/or red - aka Cool body styling you want to accent not a black car that needs a wheel's to pop 

That is maroon. With the low-res original image and using the shadow side of the car, it was hard to make the color look exact, but I did choose a dark burgundy. It is definitely not orange/red or bright red. Color changes, even with Photoshop, are always a challenge. Best to squint a little.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

That is maroon. With the low-res original image and using the shadow side of the car, it was hard to make the color look exact, but I did choose a dark burgundy. It is definitely not orange/red or bright red. Color changes, even with Photoshop, are always a challenge. Best to squint a little.

I like your Photoshop approach !!!  Matt, I would say a Dark Maroon/Dark Burgundy with blackwalls are something to consider seriously.  

Also, an Auburn is something I never mind in whitewalls - I had Double Whitewall Bedfords on the 1931 Phaeton. 

Blue wheels (meh):

Randy_Blue_Wheels.jpg.079579bc26ce9f23b92fc1a8e0da1c9a.jpg

Green wheels (I don't hate this look):

Randy_Green_Wheels.jpg.86dfad732929e59f8c7e8b7be4ea6973.jpg

I don't think either of these work as well as the red, to be honest. It's just not as flashy, which is the point, no?

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Blue wheels (meh):

Randy_Blue_Wheels.jpg.079579bc26ce9f23b92fc1a8e0da1c9a.jpg

I don't think either of these work as well as the red, to be honest. It's just not as flashy, which is the point, no?

Flashy yes, but car speaks for itself without "brightly lit" wheels - A Dark Blue or a  Dark Maroon is GREAT !!!

When we get a Plain Jane BLACK "boxcar school of design" sedan in, I am the first to run off and paint the wheels red.  

That said, Auburn's tend to have great belt moldings and do not need wheel glitz to offset homeliness. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

16 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

These wheels are actually a bright fire engine red albeit not an orangish bright red - the maroon and the black matched to blackwalls interestingly tends to mute/overshadow the red out. 

85124254_10158315385032189_7339517415673298944_n.thumb.jpg.39b1323b4f068845faa55f163b3e57cb.jpg

Color scheme we want with the roadster, and yes it does knock the bright red back a bit.

Ok, sold on maroon for Randy for what its worth. 😁

• Like 1

As the owner of a green car, I, too, like green and not just for cars.

However, it has been my experience as a professional that green cars are extremely hard to sell, no matter what they are. Green is one of the more polarizing colors for some reason and green cars sit around longer than most other colors.

In fact this car:

001.thumb.JPG.3104f8812e02a908bbf838514ecc346c.JPG

Sold in about 1/3 the time of this car:

001.thumb.JPG.64b8bfdd7d671ebe46c863f4bb2e7a83.JPG

They were the same price. The Buick was a superior car in every way, and had working factory A/C. The Fury was pink and had a funky black and pink interior, no A/C, and was pretty scruffy overall. But the Buick was green. I took about 1000 phone calls on that car, all of which said, "I really like the car, but I wish it was another color."

Green cars are very hard to sell. I don't know why, because I think most green cars are attractive. But it seems that most buyers disagree to the point where they're willing to own a funky pink Plymouth rather than a very clean, low-mileage green Buick.

If you don't understand it, you're definitely not alone. But it is a fact nonetheless.

• Like 4

That's so weird. I know in auto racing green cars were long considered taboo, supposedly because the first racer killed was in a green car. I wonder if that is playing a role, one way or another? Hmm, wonder if that pink Plymouth was one of the cars given to a Playboy Playmate? 

48 minutes ago, A. Ballard 35R said:

Always liked the Highland green on Mustangs and what's wrong with British Racing Green? Very striking on a big Bentley or a K3 Magnette. A BMW Z3 roadster looks great in a dark green.

Again, nothing wrong with green. If you like it, great. I like it, too. But I'm not making it up, it's not merely my opinion, and I'm not even saying green is a bad color.

It is not simply me making things up when I say most green cars are hard to sell. They are. Period. I don't know why. Go ahead and own a green car. I do and I love it. But when I go to sell it, I will expect it to take a long time and for it to sell for 10-20% less than more popular colors. That's just the way it is. I didn't decide that, anonymous buyers out there did. I don't know how their brains work or what they're thinking, only that they don't buy eagerly green cars.

That's all.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Fortunately Mine has wires.  That would have sucked to have the wood wheels.  I really don 't like the look of them on an Auburn of this era. 

I agree. The wood spokes make the car look so bottom heavy. The wires are so much more delicate looking.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

Can someone explain the anti-green sentiment? Green has always been my favorite color, but it looks like most don't agree.

There is nothing wrong with Green other than when you go to sell a Green car you have never heard such complaining in your life and more often than not comes from the mouth of someone who likes Green, but expects a discount for such as they know others feel strongly against it.  The only thing worse for dollar value in a 1930's car is White, followed by Tan/Brown/Orange combos, and "Stay Around Brown" (as car salesmen referred to it). 

6 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Again, nothing wrong with green. If you like it, great. I like it, too. But I'm not making it up, it's not merely my opinion, and I'm not even saying green is a bad color.

It is not simply me making things up when I say most green cars are hard to sell. They are. Period. I don't know why. Go ahead and own a green car. I do and I love it. But when I go to sell it, I will expect it to take a long time and for it to sell for 10-20% less than more popular colors. That's just the way it is. I didn't decide that, anonymous buyers out there did. I don't know how their brains work or what they're thinking, only that they don't buy eagerly green cars.

That's all.

Agreed and anyone who wants to try it we will use their money to paint their car green and see how the sale goes - generally not well.

Sidenote:  My experience has an exception and the photo posted reminded me of such: British Racing Green seems to be a non-issue on something British that is sporty and suitable for racing. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

That would have sucked to have the wood wheels.  I really don 't like the look of them on an Auburn of this era. 

Wood wheels in late 20's and early 30's cars tend to be "unloved" - and you can restore them as nice as humanly possible and ..., but you are going to take a discount at time of sale - things that haunt cars. 

12 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

That would have sucked to have the wood wheels.  I really don 't like the look of them on an Auburn of this era. 

Differences are one of the things that makes the world go round. My 1932 has wood wheels and I like them. On the other hand anybody trying to sell me a convertible sedan or phaeton would have to seriously discount it as raising and lowering a top of that size is more of a pain then I would want to deal with.  :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 1937-44 said:

Differences are one of the things that makes the world go round. My 1932 has wood wheels and I like them. On the other hand anybody trying to sell me a convertible sedan or phaeton would have to seriously discount it as raising and lowering a top of that size is more of a pain then I would want to deal with.  :)

Leave the top alone and just roll the windows down..

Bob 

18 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

That's so weird. I know in auto racing green cars were long considered taboo, supposedly because the first racer killed was in a green car. I wonder if that is playing a role, one way or another? Hmm,

Same with peanuts.

No peanuts in the pits. Bad JuJu.

44 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Leave the top alone and just roll the windows down.

If you're going to do that why pay extra for a convertible sedan or phaeton?  I have a sedan, and that's what I do. Between the windows, cowl vent and not having the sun beat down on my poor bald head it's generally comfortable.

6 minutes ago, 1937-44 said:

If you're going to do that why pay extra for a convertible sedan or phaeton?  I have a sedan, and that's what I do. Between the windows, cowl vent and not having the sun beat down on my poor bald head it's generally comfortable.

It's all about the style.  The steel roof be it a bit higher doesn't look as good as the Conv't sedan with the top up. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

It's all about the style.  The steel roof be it a bit higher doesn't look as good as the Conv't sedan with the top up. 

Agreed they might look better, but out of my price range.  I'm just happy to have a lowly 4 door sedan.

I always found if one was patient and could do some work, plus stretched their resources they could move up a notch.  Patience is the biggest part and diligent at searching for what you want.  Of course a good lead from a friend doesn't hurt either. 

After you bought the car,  everything else pretty much cost the same between a sedan and a convertible except for convertible specific parts if they are missing.  Engine rebuild. Tires paint,  etc.  all cost the same.  Only thing different is the final value of the finished project. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ok, I have a question, if green is so bad, why do several cars in green hold world record prices?

There are several examples........WO Bentley is an example, among a bunch of others.

10 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Ok, I have a question, if green is so bad, why do several cars in green hold world record prices?

There are several examples........WO Bentley is an example, among a bunch of others.

I think most of those are cars that could be painted any color and still hold their own.  I actually like green.  but know it's a tough sell on common stuff and maybe even that Packard Phaeton that sold. If it had been black maroon or red would it have sold as low? 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1