Seen on the road at lunch today... what is it?

edinmass

Not sure if this is a Google Maps car or a self driver.......California plates in Palm Beach........center cylinder was spinning fast......laser reflector? It stayed in the center of the road fine.........rest of the driving wasn’t great.. The center silver shaft was spinning reasonably fast. Also a tire/wheel gizmo on the left rear.

1EC0E19C-4074-4587-BB6D-1A4384CE9441.png

Victoria, it’s a 1933 Subaru...........with an opera light on top. 

I don’t think it was taking photos...........but I have no clue. Anyone?

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, edinmass said:

Victoria, it’s a 1933 Subaru...........with an opera light on top. 

I don’t think it was taking photos...........but I have no clue. Anyone?

Its not a Subaru! 

Its a brand new Tucker SUV, with the center light mounted higher in a more central location, and the shaft of the light support is the exhaust with a concentric air intake, making this new Tucker submersible; unlike a LAND Rover which can remain only on LAND. 

Craig

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Edinmass is such a revered member/poster on here, but in due respect to Peter G's poll yesterday, topics like this don't belong on here. Among your facebook friends maybe? Call your neighbor maybe? But us old car guys really log in here everyday for old car stuff, and to get away from everyday stuff. I might say exclusively old car stuff if I had my say. So if we want the forum to remain "old car" specific, then everyday odds and ends should be posted elsewhere. Sorry Ed JMHO.

While I kind of agree with Gunsmoke's thoughts on the intent of this forum, I also think a little latitude is OK. This oddball car is an automotive curiosity. It won't spur any real conversation other than to identify it (and maybe some side talk about how autonomous vehicles are probably the end of life as we know it).

I understand the sentiment, and I also understand why Peter posted his poll. However, I think that discussion and that poll could have a chilling effect on overall discussions around here. I've already seen mentions in other threads where people are debating whether posts are appropriate. That kind of nonsense is going to stymie a lot of conversation where anecdotes and stories are shared and perhaps even information. Nothing ever good comes from a crackdown and increased enforcement among a generally law-abiding population. We're all smart and reasonable people here, right? One person flagrantly disregarding the rules and thumbing his nose should not result in everyone else having to look over their shoulders. It was an anomaly, not the new normal.

This place is awesome because it offers something few, if any, other sites offer--old car content. But to clamp down and become more militant about "the rules" will quash the sometimes fun and goofy side conversations that happen here. Most posters understand the rules, Ed included, and as a result I don't think there's a reason to draw hard lines in the sand. There's the spirit of the law and then there's the law itself, and they aren't always the same. I think everyone here obeys the spirit of the law--we don't really need it to become an enforcement thing, do we?

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

I agree we can all have a "Fun Friday" once in a while here.

Craig

No. Every day can be fun. It always has been. We are friends talking with friends. Don't let one incident and more rules destroy what makes this forum awesome.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

I will be logging off soon. This is a great forum, have really enjoyed reading peoples comments on different topics. Great mix of people and view points. Not going to jump in on opinions about how to do things.

If you're leaving, I think that's a mistake. You're a valued member of this community. This is momentary hysteria brought on by an incident that was out of the ordinary. People get kooky as a knee-jerk reaction, but then they come around and things go back to normal. It'll be OK, I promise.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I filed a complaint with the State police. It spelled out a few things. The officer took the complaint form and went to check on the previous interview/case. When he returned, he said that there was no case, and no record of an interview. And he said we are not going to do anything with this. Referring to the complaint form. If the feds are involved, I understand that they can take over. If this issue is being buried, then I think the State of Idaho should pull the car over, get out and take a look at how far down a road it has gone. This issue is going to hit a wall out here. I am not logging off because my 49 Hudson was on a heart donors waiting list. And a match came available.😁I will be relocating to a different State. And looking to lease a building, for my business. This will take up a lot of my time. The trips back and forth just moving equipment will be fun times. I do not think a story coming out will change the fact that a move is in the best interest for me. The damage that has been done, I do not think will fade in time staying here. I will pop in from time to time. Someone has to brake/break up your conflicts.😀 Still here for awhile, still using humor to say things. Still waiting Idaho. Hudson is running good. Has a covered parking spot. If the funds were available, Auburnseekers Cord would be parked there.😀😀 Now that would get some attention.

IMG_20200129_163849396_HDR.jpg

Doesn’t all of this fall under “General Discussion”  besides a 33 Subaru was mentioned so it is discussing autos over 25 years old. It is also a very rare 33 Saburu so we have two valid reasons for this discussion. 
Always have fun, life’s too short not too. 
Dave S 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Its not a Subaru! 

Its a brand new Tucker SUV, with the center light mounted higher in a more central location, and the shaft of the light support is the exhaust with a concentric air intake, making this new Tucker submersible; unlike a LAND Rover which can remain only on LAND. 

Craig

So you’re saying it’s MODIFIED? 🤔

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

Ed, I know you are quite knowledgeable, but your not understanding that car in your photo totally baffles me!

Of course it is a Pierce Arrow finder................ it migrates from state to state, looking for old Pierce cars, so it can notify you of a new find.

I gave you more credit then should have been given. sheesh!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

I filed a complaint with the State police. It spelled out a few things. The officer took the complaint form and went to check on the previous interview/case. When he returned, he said that there was no case, and no record of an interview. And he said we are not going to do anything with this. Referring to the complaint form. If the feds are involved, I understand that they can take over. If this issue is being buried, then I think the State of Idaho should pull the car over, get out and take a look at how far down a road it has gone. This issue is going to hit a wall out here. I am not logging off because my 49 Hudson was on a heart donors waiting list. And a match came available.😁I will be relocating to a different State. And looking to lease a building, for my business. This will take up a lot of my time. The trips back and forth just moving equipment will be fun times. I do not think a story coming out will change the fact that a move is in the best interest for me. The damage that has been done, I do not think will fade in time staying here. I will pop in from time to time. Someone has to brake/break up your conflicts.😀 Still here for awhile, still using humor to say things. Still waiting Idaho. Hudson is running good. Has a covered parking spot. If the funds were available, Auburnseekers Cord would be parked there.😀😀 Now that would get some attention.

IMG_20200129_163849396_HDR.jpg

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Well........I understand it was”off topic” for the AACA, I was asking about what something was that I saw at lunch, and needed a little help. It wasn’t a chopped 32 Ford roadster..........we regularly see Tesla threads....which I don’t mind. Wasn’t trying to make any point or irritate anyone......just thought I would ask a bunch of friends what something was. I agree that chopped and modified cars have no place here. Asking an occasional question of something modern isn’t a sin........I hope. To be honest, anything that lets me or others understand technology that we use in our touring and events like Waze, or any other app is ok with me if people use it in the hobby. I’ll try and behave myself............Ed

• Like 2

16 hours ago, edinmass said:

Not sure if this is a Google Maps car or a self driver.......California plates in Palm Beach........center cylinder was spinning fast......laser reflector? It stayed in the center of the road fine.........rest of the driving wasn’t great.. The center silver shaft was spinning reasonably fast. Also a tire/wheel gizmo on the left rear.

I have to thank Ed,  Saw a whole fleet of these running around northern Ontario this summer in the middle of no where basically.  But now I'm pretty certain that they are just searching all of North America for barn finds and recording their locations for our benefit.

19 hours ago, edinmass said:

Unless Google has changed their vehicles from when I first saw them going around Silicon Valley, that is neither a self-driving Waymo vehicle nor a Google Streetview vehicle.

There are a number of other companies collecting street imagery nowadays and I think this is one of the other companies. Pretty sure it is collecting street imagery as the sensors for self-driving are not usually on a post or tower like this one but the imagery collecting vehicles often have that.

Depending on what Ed was driving I wonder if a similar conversation was taking place in the Subaru. 

"What is that thing behind us?"  

"Oh, uh well I think it is a 1929 Ford model B Duesenberger, they made like 15 of them with hood ornaments."