Best way to ship oil pan with baffle affordably

mrcvs

I sold an oil pan with baffle on eBay.  What's the best way to ship this affordably?  I reserved the right in my ad to ship the cheapest way possible.

EBay sales aren't what they used to be.  Need to offer free shipping to even be competitive.  Need a very low opening bid to even sell anything anymore.  You hope that you get multiple bids and this is rare.  Buyers want stuff cheap, never mind that the shipping is free.

I'm at the point where...at least someone can use it.  Not sure how my competition can manage to sell bulky or heavy stuff and account for shipping and even break even.

Check the local post office to see if they have one of those "if it fits, it ships" boxes that it would fit into. I'm not sure how heavy the oil pan is but I believe they have a weight limit on the boxes. It may be 75 pounds, so I suspect the pan would be less than that. 

Chances are the least expensive is USPS Retail Ground; and you’ll spend most of what you made on the shipping. My suggestion is to charge the buyer for shipping and let the eBay shipping calculator figure the amount based upon the real dimensions and weight of your box and the buyer’s location. If you must offer free shipping, I figure the shipping in advance to the opposite coast and price it accordingly. I always offer a discount for local pickup: they do you a big favor picking it up and usually buy something else when they arrive! eBay and PayPal fees; and the high cost of shipping are making swap meets attractive again. How ironic. See you at Hershey!

• Like 1

Why are you trying to compete with “ FREE “ ... ?

Nothing is free - there is a cost point for everything.

As a Seller - if you include “ free shipping “ -  you stand to lose the item and have to refund the money paid by the Buyer.

I get weekly calls from folks who sell vehicles that include “ free transport “ - they are trying to get it below cost.

Bad Idea ....

Jim

It was asked why I offered free shipping--bad idea...

I had to!  You start asking for payment of shipping and good luck getting a bid!  I figured I would offer it for sale at what I guessed shipping might be and get a few dollars extra because maybe a few folks were interested.  No such luck!

To the OP:  Please don't take this the wrong way, but figuring-out shipping should happen before listing and selling an item.  If I'm shipping something large or heavy, I pack it first then take it to the nearest shipper to get measured and weighed.  Saves a lot of hassle later on.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

None of the Model "A" oil pans currently listed as such on Ebay include free shipping.  Shipping is an add of between $19 and $42 except for one Canadian vendor who simply lists cost as "freight" and offers to get a quote.

I've sold thousands of non-car related things on Ebay and have always added a shipping cost. Currently my sell through is over 50%. Please do not drink the Ebay kool-aid - everything they tell you that will increase sales are only to increase their bottom line - everything.

Edited by vermontboy
clarification (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

When I list Ebay items I always list with "Free Shipping to the continental United States". I calculate the cost to ship it to some wilderness post office at the other end of the country. That saves me time and I think the Ebay search algorithm favors placement  to free shippers. Overall I think my costs at the post office have been less than my cost of shipping and materials. I keep a spreadsheet. That might not sound fair to some buyers, but, hey, it's free. That's what they want. Ebay and the buyer.

I don't do Ebay as much as I used to, but the key is in volume. When each item becomes a profit silo things aren't so happy on the farm.

24 minutes ago, vermontboy said:

everything they tell you that will increase sales are only to increase their bottom line - everything.

Ebay lost ALL credibility the first time they told me "you might also like this".

The cost of shipping anything has an effect on all eBay listings, I check shipping costs before placing a bid, if shipping is too costly I don't bid. You can't get into a bidders head, but I often wonder which listing works best, a book for .99 cents with $4.00 postage & handling or a $4.99 book with free shipping? 

• Like 1

I would have thought the free shipping would have caused the oil pan to go for more.  My rough calculations shipping across the country suggested USPS Retail Ground would be about $25.  I priced it to move.  Didn't get the multiple bids I expected.  Once again, I hate to say it, but the typical American is broke and/or extremely thrifty.  Other heavier lots priced more because of shipping didn't sell.  Another lot of 10 car parts I priced for $29.99 shipping, $5.99 bid to start it sold for $5.99.  EBay didn't seem to used to be that way...

2 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Greyhound bus is most likely the cheapest. I have shipped bumpers and fenders that way.

Yes, the "Dog". But I haven't used them in a while. Last time it was very inexpensive to send 4 heavy 33x5 tires from Seattle to Allentown, PA. 2 shrink wrap packages of 2 tires each. I think it was $78. The trick is to follow all the steps online, and print your own shipping label.   -   Carl 

Selling on eBay is a science. If you do things wisely, you can do very well indeed. 

Some items are difficult to sell cost-effectively on eBay. Inexpensive oil pans might fit into that category, along with common used fenders and hoods, etc. 

I have friends who make their entire living selling used or NOS collector car parts, with a large percentage of their total volume coming from eBay. They focus on very-desirable items in exceptionally good condition, try to choose items which are easy to ship, and most of them set a starting bid number which is the lowest price they are willing to accept. Shipping for most of their items is either stated at a fixed price, or listed as being shipped at actual cost. 

I have sold quite a lot of items on eBay, with a large percentage of the items being collector vehicle stuff. After a while you begin to realize which items are good choices to feature, and which ones to sell elsewhere. A used Model A Ford oil pan is not an item I would have chosen for eBay. 

eBay offers advice to sellers, which often includes suggestions like offering items with free shipping. They have learned that buyers have tremendous fears of excessive shipping costs (in the past, unscrupulous sellers would sell a $15 dollar item for $3, but add $25 shipping cost. This was because eBay charged a percentage of the SALE price, not shipping costs). The natural result has been an almost-fanatical opposition of shipping costs by many buyers. So eBay tries to convince sellers to offer free shipping. The buyers like it that way; simple as that. 

Surveys by eBay marketers have led them to believe that the most important component they need to grow their business larger and more profitable is more BUYERS...the sellers will follow the market. They don't care how many sellers get frustrated and quit, because they know that if they have enough buyers on their site, the sellers are forced to sell there...or concede a large market share to competitors.

Amazon is the same way...only MORE focused on the wants and needs of buyers...at the expense of sellers. 

Edited by lump (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I always say handling and shipping extra, give the buyer a choice.  Anything large usually goes by bus.  Have to say bus as we do not have the big dog anymore.

I hate to throw anything out, but after advertising many small bits and pieces I took 1200 pounds to the recycler two weeks ago (some of which I had move numerous times in 40 years) and paid $16.00 to get rid of it.  I could have driven an extra 20 miles and sold it for scrap and might have paid for my gas but not my time.

NOS parts are hard to come by. If you'd like to sell them, where do you get them? I came across a few by dumb luck. Sold them. But should have kept them, they'd be worth more now.

Wow nice most Excellent!!!     Alfa Romeo NOS Hubcaps, 1967 Duetto Spider, Set of 4 (#180705915150)    US $250.00

perfect as stated received in good order. thanks  Alfa Romeo Duetto Air Hose Giulia 105 1600 Spider GT (#180046077993)    US $77.98

Item exactly as described - excellent communication with seller +++++  Alfa Romeo Duetto Spider Front Bumpers NOS 1967 69 Pair (#180567124741)    US $1,200.00

And what about this car I sold? I think I could get $7k for it now!

1969 Alfa Romeo Duetto Spider Parts Car 1750 Spyder (#180127838693)    US $311.99

Well, I was able to ship this FedEx Ground and squeak out a small profit as I got a discount for having an account at the FedEx office and being a repeat customer.  My accolades to this individual!

I didn't have to scrap a part that someone might find useful and a part I might never use just collecting dust.  So, pleased to have it go to a good home.

I think now eBay charges their premium on both the sales price and shipping so you can no longer sell low and ship high.  They also now charge the buyer sales tax.

No longer feels like an auction site, just a marketplace for bottom feeders extremely sensitive to the cost of an item and shipping.  Not what I recall it originally being.  My purchases on the site are now few and far between.  Perhaps it's lost its charm with me, as well as (many) others?

• Like 1

Of course this is not eBay's fault, but as far as ending all auctions on the same day and shipping all at once...

The auction for the oil pan ends and buyer immediately pays.  He expects timely shipment and rightly so.  Second of five lots that sold, still await payment which means that package didn't ship yesterday and another trip that could have been avoided.  Money on that lot can't be the issue.  Only sold for $5.99 plus shipping.

When a business makes lots of money and sales are great, my hat off to you.  Not sure how that works.  I have always worked for someone else.  I now understand how 1/3 of businesses fail in the first 5 years.  Not a business venture, but a lot of work for a few dollars!

58 minutes ago, mrcvs said:

When a business makes lots of money and sales are great, my hat off to you.  Not sure how that works.  I have always worked for someone else.  I now understand how 1/3 of businesses fail in the first 5 years.  Not a business venture, but a lot of work for a few dollars!

Me too. I do OK on Ebay for a few dollars - not for my livelihood. I had an antique shop that failed back in the 90's because I under-capitalized it. I knew better - but it is awfully hard to spend your last dime on something that HAS to sell. I have a friend who thinks nothing of writing a 5 figure check post dated two weeks. He has a customer base and knows what their likes and purchase thresholds are.  - He doesn't use the internet ... his checks never bounce ... it's called a lot of hard work, a good eye, good customers, and a belief that he can make it happen........

Sounds simple - it isn't .....

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, vermontboy said:

Me too. I do OK on Ebay for a few dollars - not for my livelihood. I had an antique shop that failed back in the 90's because I under-capitalized it. I knew better - but it is awfully hard to spend your last dime on something that HAS to sell. I have a friend who thinks nothing of writing a 5 figure check post dated two weeks. He has a customer base and knows what their likes and purchase thresholds are.  - He doesn't use the internet ... his checks never bounce ... it's called a lot of hard work, a good eye, good customers, and a belief that he can make it happen........

Sounds simple - it isn't .....

Sounds like your friend spent the time to educate himself on the market and is reaping the rewards. Bob 

How can you even make it in the antique business today when nice quality 18th and 19th Century European and American pieces are selling for 10 to 20% of what they once did and the younger generations have no interest whatsoever in this stuff.

• Like 1

Buying and selling in a volatile market depends on turnover. I'm most familiar with the stamp business. In the 1980's a popular set of stamps (US airmail zeppelins) soared from around $800 to 1200 to around the $10,000 mark on pure speculation. Dealers could do no wrong. Easy money - everyone was an expert. Dealers made a lot of money.

Then the descent started  - a rapid falloff at first, then a gradual decline to todays price of around $1000 to $1200. There was a less dramatic rise and fall of all stamps at the same time. A lot of dealers disappeared over the years - and yet some seemed totally unaffected even though  moving a lot of merchandise. It is difficult to explain but call it forward pricing, or whatever you want to, it's basing your selling price on replacement cost.You have to accept occasional losses in a downward market, but the key is quick turnover. That is a gross oversimplification but it is the underlying principle,

Hope that somewhat helps - yes, a lot of antique shops have closed there doors because they stubbornly refused to believe that the market was going to collapse. Those that cut their losses and replaced their stock by selling based on replacement cost saw sales increases and weathered the storm.......

Hope that I was clear enough you got the gist.....

And, your other parts are still active on eBay, with free shipping, even after all of this discussion...

I can't wait to hear what it will cost to ship that head or crankshaft.

Personally, I don't post things on eBay unless I know there's a good chance they will sell. From what I see, Model A engine parts aren't movers on eBay so I would look for a more viable selling venue. Perhaps a Model A forum?

Wes in VT

Vermontboy, Thank you for the quick overview on stamps. I bought a life long collection a few years ago, three file boxes full. It is all pure profit now, but I never knew how little interest there was in that hobby. Most of the items I have are all new unhinged 1930 - 1960 issued American stamps.

As you may be aware, 11 new states have adopted Internet Sales Tax policies as of October 1, bringing the total to 34 states that now require the collection of sales tax. As the impact of this tax law becomes more apparent, PayPal and eBay are making changes that will make Internet Sales Tax collection less complex for buyers and for you.

Starting in November 2019, the way taxable transactions are processed and how taxes are collected for remittance will change, as follows:
  • In states where eBay is required to collect Internet Sales Tax from buyers, order totals sent for processing will reflect the gross order amount inclusive of tax.
  • Once settled, the tax amount will be automatically deducted for remittance to the applicable taxing authority.
  • A record of the sales tax portion of the order will be available on the Seller Hub Order details page and through our Download order report.
Please note the applicable tax will continue to be paid by the buyer and you do not need to take any action.

We understand that the holiday selling season is nearly upon us and we are working to make this transition as smooth as possible.

Learn more about Internet Sales Tax in the eBay Seller Center. If you have questions about how Internet Sales Tax may affect you, we recommend consulting with your tax advisor, or our partners Avalara and TaxJar.

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

Sincerely,
eBay Team

3 hours ago, tripwire said:

And, your other parts are still active on eBay, with free shipping, even after all of this discussion...

I can't wait to hear what it will cost to ship that head or crankshaft.

I think I have items priced high enough to cover shipping and make a few dollars...only a few.

If I couldn't already sell these items offering free shipping,  how then could these sell if the buyer has to also pay for shipping?

Not the best items to sell on eBay unless multiple folks need said items now.

I think the concept of free shipping is a terrible idea but required to remain competitive.

Don't know why shipping items or objects is so expensive these days?  It has to cost a significant sum in cancelled transactions.  I know I've cancelled transactions on several occasions due to the cost of shipping.

On 10/1/2019 at 4:53 PM, mrcvs said:

I think I have items priced high enough to cover shipping and make a few dollars...only a few.

If I couldn't already sell these items offering free shipping,  how then could these sell if the buyer has to also pay for shipping?

Not the best items to sell on eBay unless multiple folks need said items now.

I think the concept of free shipping is a terrible idea but required to remain competitive.

Again, It's my opinion eBay is not the best venue for these parts. I looked the Completed Listings and saw only one crankshaft that closed with bids lately and that one had a starting bid of $20, 12 bids later closed at $104.49 with flat rate shipping of $25.  The sale didn't complete because it was relisted several more times with the same starting bid and closed with no bids.  It's active now if you go look.

A lot of Model A parts offered have a shipping cost associated with the listing and those don't seem to be at a competitive disadvantage to the items with free shipping. 

Your Question

"Don't know why shipping items or objects is so expensive these days?"

My opinion is this. Retail shipping is high to make up for the discounts the volume sellers (Amazon is one example) get so the little guy who isn't shipping millions of boxes has to pay the difference.  It becomes very obvious as other people have pointed out. Open an account with Fedup or UPS and you'll see a discount from retail just for that one step.  Start shipping a huge number of boxes and you can tell the shipper what you'll pay.

Good luck, Wes in VT