1932 Lincoln Victoria Coupe

Just now, auburnseeker said:

Now if you had my kids,  you would be sure to buy a business coupe or roadster without a rumble seat.  I need a getaway car not something to haul the asylum around.  

This is EXACTLY why we bought a limo with a divider window.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, auburnseeker said:

You are still hauling them with you,  just in a padded room.  Open town car might have been better.  Atleast you couldn't hear them with all the wind noise. 

My kids are 11 and 13 now, so they're [mostly] well-behaved these days. But there was a time when just throwing them in back and closing the divider was SOP and everyone was happy. That's also why I love town cars. Convertible for me up front, enclosed soundproof booth for them in back. My kids are weird--they like the windows closed so there's no wind. We went to that balloon launch event last Saturday when it was 91 degrees and there were the two of them back there, each with a buddy, and they had the divider up and all the windows closed. We got there and all four kids spill out, sweating like they were in a sauna, and say, "Why is it so cold out here?"

Idiots.

• Haha 1

You haven't seen my kids.  Well the two adopted ones fight like cats and dogs and have Unique personalities to say the least.  The third is ours.  She would be welcome upfront with mommy and Daddy.  She's going with us to Hershey as she has for the last 5 years.  She is 5 the others are 9 and 12.  The 5 year old is always shaking her head and saying really,  can't you two behave.   We figured it's 99 percent genetics now and environment comes in some where way down the list. 

I constantly tell the other 2 your 5 year old sister is in charge when we go outside to do yardwork.  Maturity isn't an age but rather a mindset. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Licespray said:

You yanks crack us Aussies up. Parts car? Pfft! Easy restoration project over here compared to what most of us start with.

What Americans tend to say is too far gone or not worth it we tackle and bring back. Maybe we just don’t have the luxury of as much choice so we make do? Or we just enjoy a challenge more :P

Cheerio!

I have restored much worse.......but today you can buy an identical car, restored, for less than he is asking for his project. While I like all Lincolns if I am going to make an effort to do a project Lincoln, it would be a KB. I like the early Leyland cars, but they are much less drivable than the later cars. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, edinmass said:

Putting the top up and down can be a challange on many of them. 

My convertible is only 33 years old so it's not even on the horizon to most 70 and 80 year olds. October is coming up. I should have the top up by the end of the month and it will probably stay up until the end of April.

I have been scolded for leaving it down all summer.

I like Matt's comment on the guy denigrating a 4 door to chisel the price. I am not much of a haggler, buying or selling.  might not have a sellers asking price, but I will not deny him the opportunity to refuse my offer. It goes something like "I can give you this, take the car, and you will never see me again". Most see value it that offer.

Once a friend was selling used lawn mowers. He had a very nice one at a premium price. A second had not been well cared for so he gave the buyer a break and cut his margin. Over coffee he was whining to me about the buyer he gave a break to, coming back asking for help and free service. I told him I would have charged extra for the shabby one and given a break on the one I knew would never be back.

He was a little short so I paid for coffee.

Bernie

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

You are still hauling them with you,  just in a padded room.  Open town car might have been better.  Atleast you couldn't hear them with all the wind noise. 

Make them drive.  The double clutching takes their minds off yelling at each other.

IMG_4883.jpg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

"I can give you this, take the car, and you will never see me again". Most see value it that offer.

I wish guys would deal with me like that--I'd be much more open to offers. But usually it goes like this instead:

Him: "Will you take [price - 25%] for the car?"

Me: "No. How about [price - 10%]?"

Him: "Great done!"

Two months later...

Him: "Hey, I ran over a screw and got a flat tire. You need to buy me four new tires. I think you're a lying scumbag because you sold me a car and didn't tell me that the tires could go flat if I drove over something sharp. You'll hear from my lawyers!"

Me: Sigh [checks chamber of gun in my hand, decide once again that I hate the taste of gun oil].

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JAK said:

Before you lump all Americans together from the comments on this form you may wish to chat with a few of the pre war people

Dont worry, there’s 350ish million Americans, I have no resentment towards any of em, except gang fellows, and any crims.

You guys with your comments about 2 seaters and dividing windows to escape the kids cracked me up :D

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

I have restored much worse.......but today you can buy an identical car, restored, for less than he is asking for his project. While I like all Lincolns if I am going to make an effort to do a project Lincoln, it would be a KB. I like the early Leyland cars, but they are much less drivable than the later cars. 

So wouldn’t that put this car way too high for a parts car?

Did you go through his ads? Got some big $ on most all his items. Maybe it’s one of those times where the wife goes “you have too many, list some for sale” so he goes done! But with a price too high to sell? :P

Or he’s just a dreamer.. or has no idea.

I would say mostly dreamer.  There is one of those in NH that advertises a bunch of parts cars in what looks like his junk years for probably 10 times what they are worth. Still has them all and now the pictures are 4 years old.  Only thing that hasn't changed are the prices.  Needless to say,  if you know the Northeast climate there is probably atleast 10 percent less of the car than there was 4 years ago. 

9 minutes ago, Licespray said:

So wouldn’t that put this car way too high for a parts car?

It does seem too nice  a car,  but I really don't think it can be restored in the current world.    Think about it,  if I told you that it was free, but you were obligated to do a fairly decent restoration on it, say within the next 10 years,  would you want that hanging over your head?    Even in the backyard garage you aren't getting that car done for less than 100k U.S. plus change.   And at that price it won't be that great a restoration.

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

At 12 still to young.  

Maybe a tad.  When he's 16 you need to put  him behind the wheel of that Cord.   My dad was fearless about letting his kids take his cars out.   And besides being scared of him (I got over that around 35) we respected the cars.  

That picture I posted,  my son was peeing in his pants, but he only stalled a couple of times (mostly because of poor instruction from yours truly).

• Like 2

Believe me I would have more faith in my 5 year old than my 12.  Lots of other issues.  May never get a driver's license while he lives with us and I even have a Model A in the corner for him to work on that will be his if things change,  As of now there is a good chance it won't be.  Lots of behavioral and anger management problems, especially toward his mother. 

the seller has been a seller on ebay for over 15 years now. always has something interesting listed for a steep price. At one time he was into Buick woodies.

he owns 100s of cars at various locations and is in no hurry to sell any of them................

He's been around the block a few times.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

At 12 still to young.   You haven't seen him drive his Go kart without an engine or the lawn tractor he's almost rolled a couple of times.  Not to mention the bike he's managed to crash on flat ground at slow speed.   MAybe I'll send him over and let him practice on your car first. 

Well, I suggested mine drive my then new, stick shift F150 at 12 on our longish driveway.  He got clutch and brake confused which was a bit exciting.  I told him to jump on both seconds before a stand of hemlocks would have stopped us.  Over the years he has used the SL for dates, Sunday rides but has little interest in the older stuff... 🙁

2 minutes ago, BucketofBolts said:

I assume that someone will eventually want to purchase the vehicle and pay top dollar. The question is where is this person located? 

Under a stone and not able to use a computer or they would be able to find a much better example for less with a few key strokes.   As it's starting to look,  not as many guys are looking for an exact year and model as they are for something within a few years and even body styles.  Smarter shoppers with more more choices on the internet than there used to be in the old print days. 

Why own hundreds of junkers.......buy two or three decent high rollers.......

Im sure he has those too Ed.

guy is not a pauper by any means

his big thing for awhile were those big wheel model A's, used by rural postal workers. Think he is located in the Montana region, if memory serves me correctly.

as all of you know, this hobby has many many different types of collectors. each will do as he or she pleases with their own money. who are we to judge?

13 hours ago, BucketofBolts said:

I assume that someone will eventually want to purchase the vehicle and pay top dollar. The question is where is this person located? 

Mr. Bucket, I think that's a common false belief

among some sellers:  "Let's mark this one high.

Someone will come along and buy it.  You can

always go down in price, but you can't go up!"

Well, at some pricing points, the demand is zero.

Lower this Lincoln's price in small increments, and

the demand is likely still zero.

I like prices that are realistic from the start.

For the others, I just simply pass by and shake my head--

and end up buying a different car.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I get the part about acquiring, holding whatever turns you on but selling involves others, aka buyers. 

For example, I regularly see a guy on Fordbarn that routinely advertises run of the mill A stuff at very high prices, and I saw his stuff at Hershey, ok but nothing special.  The result is literally years of taking same stuff around with next to no sales?  I don't get where being totally tone deaf to the market is beneficial to anyone.🤔

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2019 at 7:56 AM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I get the part about acquiring, holding whatever turns you on but selling involves others, aka buyers.

The thing about selling is that value to the rest of the world is always less than you think or want.   We get rough values in our heads when a perfectly restored car sells for a ton of money at some auction, not thinking about the fact that the seller is still taking a bath.   That perfect car becomes the standard price point for all other like cars in our minds.   This Lincoln is very cool to me,  but I stand my my opinion it will probably never be restored.   Project cars really are almost impossible to get rid of when the price is more than a few thousand dollars.

Btw,  I have some buddies who live in rural Idaho.   The cars hidden away in these tiny little towns in the middle of nowhere would surprise you.    Most of the farmers have no money,  but there are some guys with dough hiding in the weeds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2019 at 5:05 AM, mercer09 said:

Im sure he has those too Ed.

guy is not a pauper by any means

his big thing for awhile were those big wheel model A's, used by rural postal workers. Think he is located in the Montana region, if memory serves me correctly.

as all of you know, this hobby has many many different types of collectors. each will do as he or she pleases with their own money. who are we to judge?

I don't have any issue with how people like to collect.........I have owned some very sorry looking cars, and even one expensive project that I knew I would never get done. Ended up selling it to the first guy who showed intrest in it. So I can say I "owned" one. 

Having a bunch of lower end neat drivers back in the day was a common way to collect. Also lots of fun......and I "get it". But today, the quanity over quality just doesn't make sense from most standpoints......... most importantly is if the owner is having fun. 

I have a 1915 T parked next to my Pierce 12.............. and I smile every time I look at them.

Hoarding takes many forms. Some people hoard garbage. My grandmother hoarded those little plastic baskets that strawberries used to come in because she thought they might be useful for something else. She had THOUSANDS of them in her attic when we cleaned it out. It's weird, but there's clearly a function in the brain that causes some people to gather stuff that makes other people scratch their heads. It usually starts with good intentions but gets out of hand.

And we all know that guy who has a car that is slowly rotting into the ground who is just sure that he's going to "get around to it" one of these days. Hell, my '41 Century has been sitting untouched in a storage facility for nearly a decade--am I that guy?

3 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Hoarding takes many forms.

Oh brother, is that the truth!

Last night my wife and I watched semi-doc on Netflix about this old couple (late 80's) who'd lived in a restored Scottish castle for the last 40 years. Too feeble to maintain the estate any longer, it was time for them to sell. So the camera follows them around as they slowly start packing, pretty boring stuff really until the old doll pulls out an enormous clear garbage bag (the backyard autumn leaf size) and says it's full of her hair she's been collecting out of her combs and brushes for the last several decades! Ugh.

Hoard Queen?

I think we have a winner.

Her rational, when asked by the cameraman, was that she'd planned to use it to stuff pillows... double UGH!

Perhaps she was a rodent in a past life. 😉

On 9/23/2019 at 8:00 PM, edinmass said:

I once knew a fellow who everyone in town thought was a god - he was tinkering on his Pierce Arrow, Rolls Royce, Marmon, or ... - one day he got into a bit of an environmental issue with a piece of property and I got to see his collection - "parts cars" for the most part and if he ever touched them it was perhaps to buy a screw to put on some destroyed part that had fallen off due to them all having destroyed wood; all be it they were all rare enough body styles and ... they equally were near herculean efforts and  never heard of one ever being restored post his death. 

There was another fellow in town that also horded cars "Carl Kleve" and that is an interesting research projects as it was disassembled Duesenberg's, Bentleys, Damler's,  a Chrysler Imperial dual windshield touring, an L-29 Cord Phaeton, a Minerva Convertible Sedan and ... - it was quite a sale upon his death (sidenote: matched to remnants of probably a top 10 high value Ferrari).  The only car I know that made it out so far and has been finished was a 1931 Cadillac 370 Series V-12 Opera Coupe that Dick Shappy restored. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 11:01 PM, mike6024 said:

The same gentleman has a Model A for sale as well; did you see it?

s-l1600.jpg

That's a 31 slant windshield cabriolet, or what's left of it, a fairly rare body style.  Looks like it could be saved, but not at $30K - maybe 1/10 of that.

On 9/25/2019 at 9:15 AM, Matt Harwood said:

Hoarding takes many forms. Some people hoard garbage. My grandmother hoarded those little plastic baskets that strawberries used to come in because she thought they might be useful for something else. She had THOUSANDS of them in her attic when we cleaned it out.

I used to hoard plastic coffee cans (well, they ARE handy for storing various bits and pieces) - had a pretty good collection before the spouse convinced me to toss the extras.  At least I managed to kick the coffee can habit.  :D

For some reason I put all of the egg cartons inside of each other beginning  many years ago, they didn't take up much room.

I must have had a couple hundred of them thinking that maybe school projects or something like that.

Finally tossed them a few months ago.

When my brother was in college he lived on a house that had a room totally lined with egg cartons (maybe my inspiration).

That was the quietest room I have ever been in.

Eerily silent.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

2 hours ago, JACK M said:

For some reason I put all of the egg cartons inside of each other beginning  many years ago, they didn't take up much room.

I must have had a couple hundred of them thinking that maybe school projects or something like that.

Finally tossed them a few months ago.

When my brother was in college he lived on a house that had a room totally lined with egg cartons (maybe my inspiration).

That was the quietest room I have ever been in.

Eerily silent.

We keep our egg cartons and give them to people with chickens who then put the eggs in em and give em back 😁