6 volt batteries

crazycars

I have had very good luck with the NAPA Commercial Group 2 batteries in my 1940 LaSalle. The first one I bought lasted eight years. It was still working, but I figured that it had to be on borrowed time, so I replaced  it with another one. The NAPA one is more expensive than the Exide, but has a higher CCA number.

I keep the battery on a Battery Tender Junior when not driving the car. I guess that helps.

• Like 1

I've had very good life spans with the  Interstate Battery 4-XHD in my customer's cars. It's very close to the same size as some of the original Willard and Westinghouse batteries from the 1920's and early 30's that fit under the front seat.

1000 CCA and 49 pounds =  lots of lead for long life and plenty of power for even the big engines.   It's 12-3/4 long x 7-1/8 wide x 9-1/8 inches high. .  

Paul

• Like 2

I have a "Pacific Power" group 1 that works very well despite being about 4 years old. I think that is a regional brand up here in Washington State. I have a 2 year old "Les Schwab" one that is also good, but never had quite as much ooopmh as the "Pacific" one.

6 volt batteries seem better to me today than in the past, not worse.

• Like 1

I will give these experiences on batteries. Watch the warranty period. Interstate Battery considers their 6v batteries commercial and do not come with anything more then a 12 month warranty. Whereas their 12v MT or MTP series carry several year warranty period that we are all used to getting. If you buy one towards the end of the driving period here in the north you could lose much of your warranty time with your vehicle sitting in storage.

Also there are not that many companies that make batteries anymore let alone ones that manufacture for sale in their own stores. You have a hand full and they simply put whichever store brand sticker on it to fit the order. The retail stores can change manufacturers at any time for any reason and we will never know it.

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Coming up on 10 years with my first 6V Optima in my '29 Cadillac. Looks weird, works great. I could probably drive the car around on the starter for 20 minutes merely with the juice that battery puts out.

Same here. I've had one for 6 years that is still strong and bought another last month. I like that they are compact and light enough I can move them easily from car to car..

I have been using OPTIMA 6-Volt batteries on almost all of our 6-Volt cars for perhaps 20 years, and generally get at least 10 to 12 years minimum.

I did have one which had a problem - but I caused it by installing it backward in the dark. After charging it backward, then  discharging and attempting to correct the foul-up, it would not go back despipte my best efforts. My Minnsota friends would look at me and say "Off-Dah", my Jersey friends - likely even less supportive?

My 1941 Cadillac came to me in 2006 from the gentleman who owned the 4 NAPA stores in Casper, Wyoming, and had a SIX-YEAR-OLD pair of OPTIMA 6-Volt linked in Parallel, so Keeping at 6-Volt, but providing a nominal 2,000 cranking amps. Those batteries which were new in the year 2000 lasted well into 2017, or maybe 2018, and I did not use the battery tender on that car. Combine that with my use of triple-Aught "000" Positive and Negative cables with soldered clamps, and I've been very satisfied with the Optima 6-Volt. Yes, they cost more, but I drive and tour all of my 6-Volt cars so I believe the trade-off to be justified, both in lifespan and in dependability.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, stvaughn said:

How often do you have to add water to those NAPA batteries?

I check the battery at the beginning of each driving season. It usually takes a small amount of distilled water. The water has never gone down to the plates.

6 volts batteries made today gives better service than of yesteryear. After 5 months sitting with no activity for the winter I use a shop battery charger to start the 28 DB 6. It seems to me the generator does a better job than the shop charger. The battery is under the drivers seat. The cables used is 2 zero welding cables. I think the secret is to use a higher CCA , if it fits, and a battery tender helps a lot. Keep it charged. Slow charging extends the life of a battery.

On 9/7/2019 at 12:11 PM, Car-Nicopia said:

Same here. I've had one for 6 years that is still strong and bought another last month. I like that they are compact and light enough I can move them easily from car to car..

Car-nicopia,

I never thought about moving them from car to car-

interesting idea , and save some bucks, 

but then I'd probably not have it in the right place at the right time !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Car-nicopia,

I never thought about moving them from car to car-

interesting idea , and save some bucks, 

but then I'd probably not have it in the right place at the right time !

Quite often, I’m moving it to a different car to have a second battery as a backup. Also, I sometimes store my cars where there’s no outlet for a trickle charger. The Optima makes it real easy to take the battery home. 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 11:35 PM, crazycars said:

Has anyone else noticed how short lived todays' 6 volt car batteries are compared to the ones made years ago?  Also, any of you guys have a favorite brand that you use in your antique cars?

You get what you pay for.

If you're buying "cheap" batteries at some farm supply chain forget it.

I learned that lesson over 30 years ago......NEVER again.

I used to buy nothing but DELCO batteries until they priced themselves out of my market.

I've had excellent results with those from Batteries Plus Bulbs since Carquest sold out to Advance.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cahartley said:

You get what you pay for.

If you're buying "cheap" batteries at some farm supply chain forget it.

I learned that lesson over 30 years ago......NEVER again.

I used to buy nothing but DELCO batteries until they priced themselves out of my market.

I've had excellent results with those from Batteries Plus Bulbs since Carquest sold out to Advance.

We have each had our experiences. My last two "farm supply chain" batteries lasted 10 and 9 years. No tender.

Ben

• Like 2

I get good life out of Tractor Supply 6 volt batteries.👍

Yes, there are only three major manufacturers of lead acid batteries in the US. 

• Like 2