Old car bargains from around the Web

Sounds like the owner is still alive,  which might be a bonus if he is still with it.  

Also I would have checked to see if major components like a Dash board was there if I was buying an unusual car.  Obviously one could miss a gauge or some bolts but the whole dash panel is kind of a biggy.  Good thing as well is it looks like this might be the only car he restored,  so all he has is for this car,  unlike others where you get lots of parts for other cars they had that don't fit yours. 

Either way I wasn't touting this as the buy of the day,  just maybe an opportunity for someone to pick up a decent looking project or a really good parts car.  With such a good looking body it would be a shame ot build a speedster out of it,  but I have seen alot of them built from worse and less. 

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Full Classic?  Challenge is if fam can round up all parts.  I would ask to look in basement and any outbuildings...

yes it is a Full Classic. It is a  deal . I would be all over it but too many projects right now 

I wouldn't call it a bargain at $26k but take a minute to look at the pics of this unbelievable '52 Nash Ambassador which was just put on Hemmings yesterday. It's 67 years old and only has 24k original miles on it. The interior is all original but it looks like it was completely redone last week. There's not a spot of rust on it and the original paint looks great too. Look at the pic of the inside of the glove compartment. They sure don't make them like that anymore. Plus the seller says every single thing on the car works. His writeup on the car is one of the best from a private party that I've ever seen. As you guys know a car can only be original once and this has got to be one of the finest examples of a 1952 model of any make in this condition. Wow!

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/nash/ambassador/2290867.html 

67389544-770-0@2X.jpg

• Like 1

No Franklin projects for me as I am brand new to a Franklin.  Now if I had a complete car and a project comes up a year later I would think about it because of having a guide to go off of.  At least the motor and trans are intact but you can spend a solid day with a couple helpers laying every part of the linkage and suspension and just doing hardware check off's.  I have never taken a car apart down to the bare bones like this and you can only hope the guy who did it had super OCD and bagged and labeled everything

On 7/5/2019 at 11:00 AM, alsancle said:

So the car is free.  Generally I say NO to 1/2 finished projects,  but that is a good looking body.  Dietrich?  Derham?

It is the standard 1929 Walker built Club Sedan (his first photo on the craigslist site is not the car in the rest of the photos) - a very good looking car and my guess not more than 20 of them.  Get a set of wire wheels (not a difficult project excepting chrome hubcaps are pretty scare and I do not believe currently reproduced) for it and they get very stunning looking quickly.  

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:49 PM, mercer09 said:

Jack, I have a nice 1931 PA close coupled sedan that I would consider selling- if I could upgrade to a roadster or phaeton.

PM me with what you are looking for specifically.  Will be home next week.

I just happen to have a phaeton.

Kidding, I will message you.

Got pics?

2019-03-22 48 Jeepster 006.JPG

• Like 1

Ok not necessarily a bargain for the Newbee but if you have been looking fior a 57 Chevy 2 door hardtop.  This is about the cheapest one i have seen in this shape. 

https://syracuse.craigslist.org/cto/d/liverpool-1957-chevy-bel-air-2dr-hart/6928749323.html

1957 Chevy Bel Air 2dr Hart top - $29000 (clay)

1957 Chevy Bel Air 2 dr hard top 3 Speed manual ( 3 on the tree ) 283 4 barrel. Turquoise Car has been keeped orginal as possiable, Great Condition, a must see 315-246-0862 ( Bill )

00S0S_dkJIwnzT0ZM_600x450.jpg

On 7/6/2019 at 5:22 PM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Occasionally an average somewhat interesting car is outstanding based on condition alone.  The Nash certainly seems to fit the bill.

Yes that is an exceptional original piece of 1952 Americana,  Kenosha style!  Great interior, Post war aerodynamics, but a bit high in price???

I finally found a new bargain for the day for the New Be. Ok it's not exactly one that will quicken the heart or that many will lust after but looks like a pretty clean priginal car by the small interior details and $3000 OBO is about as cheap as they come even with 4 doors. 

Look at how clean the dash looks and the front passenger compartment.  Might be a survivor.  Looks like the original floor matt.  Chrome looks pretty good as well. 

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/1950-ford-custom-sedan/6930004323.html

1950 FORD CUSTOM SEDAN - $3000 (cliffside park)

I am selling my Ford Custom. It is a 1950 sedan. It was built in Edgewater, New Jersey. It houses a V8 239ci engine and a manual transmission. It has 48,321 miles. I took some pictures to show you guys. I am motivated to sell and open to offers. Please call or text if interested.

00s0s_5dm50t9i3b7_600x450.jpg

00v0v_k6RRBGs447H_600x450.jpg

00j0j_2DLpbry878C_600x450.jpg

00v0v_k6RRBGs447H_600x450-1.jpg

00e0e_SSfmSe8V8D_600x450.jpg

• Like 2

Here is another but it's a long shot as it doesn't have much information.  Could be a dud.  Not my type of car either as a 62 Chrysler is among my favorite styles but not the Imperial.

Still $3300 is about as cheap as an old running and driving car can get. Could be a nice survivor.  No Photos and little details. 

https://scranton.craigslist.org/cto/d/sparta-1962-chrysler-imperial-crown/6930391752.html

1962 Chrysler Imperial Crown - $3300

Beautiful Collector car, good daily driver, call 201-693-7488

I was hoping to steer away from the 25G cars back to the more affordable stuff for the new members looking to get their feet wet without breaking the bank.

Most anyone can scrape up an extra 3G over the course of a couple of years if nothing else.  Tax returns are often larger than that for many people. 

• Like 1

Here is one i posted over on the wanted section for the guy looking for a 64 Tbird.  

This one was just listed for $4200

For that it doesn't look too bad. 

Though the 1/4 window chrome looks kind of pitted so a good personal inspection would be necessary to see what shape the car is really in. 

https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/d/rochester-1964-ford-thunderbird/6932039175.html

Car has solid and straight body. New paint with black interior. Needs minor repairs. Has always been garaged. Call 508-763-2199

00T0T_4aAcvbmGXMo_600x450.jpg

00A0A_kTteOYxwxUO_600x450-1.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a flipper and you'll see it for 6500 or more in a week with a new $100 starter.  Hopefully it was as mentioned someone getting into it.  I would have been in tough shape if they had Facebook and Craigslist when I was a kid looking for old cars.  All we had were print publications,   that were printed over 100 miles from my house so all the good deals were gone on the second day when distribution reached our local markets. 

I even remember more than once driving 60 miles to get a $1.25  book just so I didn't have to wait until day two to get it.  I can 't remember if I ever actually bought anything because of it,  but atleast it felt like i had a chance. 

This is want I was hoping to find but remember guys act fast.  

If I'm posting them they probably aren't going to last real long.  These are the bargains. 

We used to have a free delivered ad sheet called oddly enough"Then Advertiser" that came to every home and apt in our county and later beyond.  Anything legal could be listed for a small fee and I mean anything.  It showed up on Wednesday and if you were looking for anything, car, house, tools what have you it was the best place to look and often at a bargain price. I found several cars there and even sold a couple as well. Finally disappeared when the Net really took off.

• Like 2

In Mass the Want Advertiser was delivered to convenience  stores starting Tuesday early through the day.  You needed to know who was early in the list and make the phone calls by 10:00 AM latest. I bought my first Shelby that way 30 years ago.  I was 3rd caller, so I got to see it it 3rd, but first to offer full price which was 10,500.

• Like 1

Back in the print ad day I never had a problem getting there first or second, the problem was no money. We sure did look at a lot of cars. It proved good practice for my later years. Lots of miles and memories. I sure wish I had brought a camera back then. So many interesting cars we came across. I still see some of them today at shows, and have bought one of them thirty years later. 

Here is a contender for today.  Not a huge bargain but not terrible money for a new be to get into the hobby.  Looks like seat have been incorrectly reupholstered and the chrome is a tad dingy but you could have a lot of fun in it still. 

https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/hollis-1954-buick-special/6932930844.html

1954 Buick Special - $3900

67k original miles, solid body, decent interior. Starts runs and stops, NH title. Nice 50's cruiser. Extra parts, books, and manuals also available. Calls only no email or text. Call John at 603-759-1695

00505_7TKhDt9KGcB_600x450.jpg

00C0C_30cUYCRAgWy_600x450.jpg

00P0P_ehnza9YcHtZ_600x450.jpg

00J0J_4mYOrGuFTtv_600x450.jpg

00V0V_fNnEnE7kxiU_600x450.jpg

00f0f_duGzr1TGtuH_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

I think there is a mystique that because we are car guys and online here, somewhat knowing what we are talking about, then we must be the rich collectors that just salivate with open wallet at every old heap,  regardless of how bad it is and we just have to have it. 

Not realizing many of us are carred up and cashed out as it is. 

Honestly I think the Buick is a bit of a bargain if it runs real well with good brakes and serviceable tires,  but what is one really worth in this shape?  I would guess a normal selling (not asking)  price might be 1500 to 2 grand more. 

Isn't it funny that probably half the old cars that aren't restored have a 40 year old snow tire in the back for a spare,  regardless of what the other tires are?

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I polished paint on my first A shortly after purchasing it.  Pro who owns a small restoration shop had looked at the car before I did and passed on it, partly due to the finish.  He thought I had the car painted!!  Gool old fashioned rubbing compound and a couple of afternoons!!!

• Like 2

If it's crazy rough I have used 600 on a block before,  but usually for average rough paint 1000 grit will do the trick,  if you have only a little orange peel you can start at 1500.  The goal is to get to 1500 or even better yet 2000 when wet sanding,  then buff.  I use a wool pad on a Dewalt variable speed right angle Grinder/ buffer.  I usually use it mostly at the low 1000 RPM.  I also use  A product called ultra Chroma Polish.  It's made by Presta.  

Here is a link. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Presta-Ultra-Polish-Chroma-1500-1-Gallon/173964342024?epid=1700971665&hash=item2881153308:g:nB8AAOSwBJxdKxXU

Honestly for small areas I use Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish. 

For medium size areas I can't get the big buffer in,  I use a 4 or 5 inch foam pad on my right angle air grinder

When using coarser grits, I use good lighting and carefully watch progress to avoid burn through.  If anything gets thin looking,  I finish all buffing by hand in those areas.  

When Blocking you have to be careful as things show up fast that you didn't even really know about. 

That final buff with the small pad on my air grinder,  really finished it off nice.  I actually did alot of the car with it,  for the final step,  just to finish off some of the little spots I missed. 

Also when changing grits go in a 90 degree to what you just sanded with the coarser grit. 

Don't sand in circular motions as a straight scratch won't show up as much as a circular one just in case you get a spec of debris on your paper.  (it happens) 

Any questions just let me know. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think there are alot of 70's cars that fall into this category.  I usually don't pay much attention to them,  because there are quite a few and I have my setting set to about 1970 as the newest cars on all my searches.  I bet most anyone could find a pretty clean 70's, especially later 70's  car for reasonable money in their area.