Where Do You Want an AACA National or Tour to Be Held?

Guest Mark McAlpine

Guest Mark McAlpine

Hello Everyone.  I'm Mark McAlpine, the 2019 AACA VP for Activities.  

Your AACA Board of Directors is working on the long-range calendar of national meets (simply called “nationals” now) and tours to be held in the next five years (in particular 2020-2024) and would like your suggestions on where you’d like them to be held.  Please either post your responses to the two questions below or private message me:

- Where in the past have you participated in an AACA National show or Tour and would like the club to return to the area again and hold another show or tour?     

- Where has the club never held a National show or Tour that you’d like to see us do so in the next five years?  (And why do you think we should hold a national show or tour there?)

Also, how about your region or chapter—would you be willing to host a national show or tour (or even a divisional tour)?  Members want to visit new places to experience and enjoy the local sights and activities that make each of our local areas unique and special.  AACA National can help you hold a successful and fun national or tour:  a National Director will be your direct liaison to help you every step of the way and provide recommendations based on extensive experience.  If needed, AACA National can assist your region/chapter with registration, provide a Chief Judge, etc., but we need regions/chapters to step up to handle the “on-the-ground” logistics such as finding suitable locations, host hotel(s), and trailer parking for national shows or tours.  (You know the area better than us.)  Smaller regions/chapters can work together with other regions/chapters to share the workload.  Hosting a national show or tour strengthens regions and is a good way to generate activity, excitement, and new members.  (Just ask the Deep South Region who hosted a successful national show in Mobile, AL, last year with only four months of preparation.)

Please post your suggestions (or private message me) about where you’d like to see a national show or tour (especially those areas where you’d likely participate in the national show or tour).  Thank you very much!  I look forward to seeing you at a future AACA National show or Tour.

Edited by Mark McAlpine
Put title and questions in bold print (see edit history)

Thank you for asking for suggestions, Mark.

Chautauqua, New York, on the grounds of the Chautauqua Institution.

It is in southwestern New York State, close to the Pennsylvania border.

Not only is it within easy reach of AACA's old-car population base,

but the Chautauqua Institution is the most beautiful and scenic

setting one could imagine.  There are narrow streets filled with

incredibly picturesque Victorian homes and cottages;  there are

large grassy public areas ideal for a car show;  there is a spectacularly

restored grand old Victorian hotel on the grounds that could be

the host hotel or at least the center for the banquet and activities.

Nationally known entertainers or bands or orchestras are

often on site and perform in the grand old open-air covered Amphitheater.

And it's right on the shore of an attractive lake.

I think that some people would attend just to see Chautauqua.

The grounds are popular with the public and would help promote the

AACA and its national meet to a good number of people who might not

otherwise see it.

Image result for chautauqua institution homes

Image result for chautauqua institution beauty

Image result for athenaeum hotel chautauqua

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I really like the idea of a Michigan tour!  So many great things to see and do, and it's an old car enthusiastic state.  The Gilmore is a perfect setting!   One thing I hope potential hosts realize is you don't have to be "bigger and better" than the last one to be successful.  Some of the most memorable and fun events I've ever been to have been small, simple, and friendly allowing lots of free time to see things in the area and socialize with friends.  Another area that might be worth looking into is the St.Louis/St. Charles area.

With AACA helping with registration, chief judge, etc, it really simplifies the whole thing.

Terry

• Like 4

A few years back the Canton Chapter of the Ohio Region ran a local tour through Cleveland I believe it was (home to all of those many old car makers of the early days?). (Love those shared newsletters too)

Anyway, I tried to get Joe and Mary Gagliano to run it again for a National Tour, but it never happened. Those old buildings still have the names of car companies on the upper parts of the buildings. I can just imagine the history that can be written for each stop. Priceless!

I will add one more later Mark!

• Like 3

The Chautauqua, New York site sounds nice and is certainly in a heavily AACA populated area. I've been to a couple of meets in New Bern, NC and give them a big thumbs up. I would likely attend a meet in either location, unless there is a fee for trailer parking. In which case I'll sadly decline to participate.

If more members felt that way and stuck to their convictions the onerous fee would soon disappear and things would go back to how they mostly were in the past i.e. the "club" appreciated the members who brought their cars and showed it by welcoming them rather than soaking them .........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Longwood Gardens near Philadelphia would be a great venue. How about a show near DC ? 

I was Chairman of a Meet at College Park, MD in 1984.  I'd like to see a show or tour out of Fredricksburg, VA.  The Region there was founded in 1957 and I don't think they have done a National Meet or Tour; however they did cooperate with the Bull Run Region on a tour some years ago.  There is a real touring venue both east and west of Fredricksburg.  Colonial America to the east (Northern Neck where I ran the first Sentimental Tour and Civil War battlefields and relics to the west.  There was also a good National around Venice, FL back about 1998.  Florida West Coast is probably too crowded for a tour, but a National on that side would be good in the future.  Where we need both the most are in the Midwest and far West.  Imagine a tour in the Black Hills region for example.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Where we need both the most are in the Midwest and far West.  Imagine a tour in the Black Hills region for example.

Mark,

Touring:

Earl's suggestion is what I worked on for 3 years as AACA Activities VP with a group in Reno, NV. I had a connection in California that would have helped host a Progressive Tour, beginning in Reno, crossing the mountain to California, then back to Reno. I had trouble getting help from the Reno Region. There was another National Club that had already put on a tour in Reno, but would not share their notes with me. (Actually told me that I should have attended their tour) I guess I should have attended it. Duh!

So, out west we are left to joining other National Clubs, like VMCCA, which is very active out West. A shame that we can not someway join with them on shared events. (BTW, that other Reno tour was poorly attended)  

Something similar was brought up at the AACA Membership Meeting on Saturday. A lady asked why there weren't more AACA Tours. Her question was not properly answered, or misunderstood, I should say. I just want AACA to know that VMCCA and other National Tour Groups are shopping our AACA members and some of our members are seriously considering joining them. 

Mark, you have a tough job. Good luck. We are all pulling for you.

Wayne

I also agree with out west. Southern Utah is beautiful and is less than 2 hours from Las Vegas.

I attended the National in Punta Gorda Florida in the early 2000s. It was a beautiful location in a park, right on the water. There was also a National in St Petersburg Florida in 1998 in a nice location on the water. One of my all time favorite locations is New Bern NC.

Kevin

• Like 1

Guest Mark McAlpine

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions!!  Keep them coming.  They will be very helpful as we flesh out our activities calendar for the next five years and approach regions/chapters about hosting an event in their area.

Mark. Since I don’t own a touring car my suggestions will be shows only.

i enjoyed the Cheyenne Wyoming show a couple of years ago. Also very much enjoyed the Iowa show last year.

i believe the Washington DC area would be great “if” parking could be worked out. Those two western shows mentioned above had great adjacent parking so that probably swayed my opinion as I have observed recent parking issues at national  shows. 

Robert

The Canton Chapter did a Founders a while back(2015) - would be great to repeat, really good tour

Sugarloaf Mountain club did a Vintage out of Fredrick and one day was driving into Washington DC - wonderful tour.

Port Clinton Ohio area would be great area.

Lancaster PA always is a good place.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, R W Burgess said:

Mark,

Touring:

Earl's suggestion is what I worked on for 3 years as AACA Activities VP with a group in Reno, NV. I had a connection in California that would have helped host a Progressive Tour, beginning in Reno, crossing the mountain to California, then back to Reno. I had trouble getting help from the Reno Region. There was another National Club that had already put on a tour in Reno, but would not share their notes with me. (Actually told me that I should have attended their tour) I guess I should have attended it. Duh!

So, out west we are left to joining other National Clubs, like VMCCA, which is very active out West. A shame that we can not someway join with them on shared events. (BTW, that other Reno tour was poorly attended)  

Something similar was brought up at the AACA Membership Meeting on Saturday. A lady asked why there weren't more AACA Tours. Her question was not properly answered, or misunderstood, I should say. I just want AACA to know that VMCCA and other National Tour Groups are shopping our AACA members and some of our members are seriously considering joining them. 

Mark, you have a tough job. Good luck. We are all pulling for you.

Wayne

At one point around 1995 another national club with a strong western membership talked with AACA about a merge, but AACA wouldn't give their life members a life membership so they withdrew.  They do a national tour every year, usually in the far west.  This coming year it is in Montana I think....I could be wrong.  Before Wayne Burgess, I had that job on the National Board and I too had a contact in Northern California and we tried to get Reno to help and be the home port for a progressive tour that traveled over to California down Rt. 49 to one of our Regions there (it's early, I can't remember if the town is Sonoma or Sonora, excuse me guys) and then across to the Capital of Nevada and back up to Region for a closing banquet.  I couldn't work that out either.  The Founders Tour was centered out of Region in 2004 when I was National President and I thought it was well attended.  I didn't take a car but rode with the Chiotti's, Roy's and Myer's.  It was a great tour I thought.

As to a National Meet, years ago now we had a great Meet at Kingsport, TN,  a town just south of Bristol, VA and the Virginia line.

• Thanks 1

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:32 PM, R W Burgess said:

A few years back the Canton Chapter of the Ohio Region ran a local tour through Cleveland I believe it was (home to all of those many old car makers of the early days?). (Love those shared newsletters too)

Anyway, I tried to get Joe and Mary Gagliano to run it again for a National Tour, but it never happened. Those old buildings still have the names of car companies on the upper parts of the buildings. I can just imagine the history that can be written for each stop. Priceless!

I will add one more later Mark!

Wayne,

It was actually Bernie Golias and the Northern Chapter of Ohio Region that ran this several years ago. We saw lots of Winton places and other car makers including the Templar factory that is now a Museum with several Templars on display. The Northern Chapter is leaving the Ohio Region now because they refuse to host Region Tours. The rest of the Chapters in Ohio Region love touring. Wish we could get board member Megan Boyd to join us as she lives near Joe and Mary in the Canton Chapter. You might mention this if you see her.  Our local chapter in Southwest Ohio have great monthly day tours starting in March as does Canton( I belong to both as I grew up touring with Canton). The Spring Ohio Region weekend tour is in the Zanesville Ohio area. We are also hosting the Fall  weekend Region Tour in October just after Hershey in Cincinnati that will have several car and airplane collection, a Yak Farm and costume Party. The Ohio Region have not done a National Tour since the Founders Tour a few years ago run by Joe and Mary in Amish Country. We are in the process of rebuilding our Chapter with some younger doers. Taken a lot of time getting active members but have had a full schedule for two years now hosted by different members.  Hopefully in a couple years we can think about a National Tour again. My motto is car shows are for wimps, Real men and women tour in their antique cars. I do enjoy being a wimp sometimes though having taken a few cars and a vintage Motorhome to Auburn and Hershey.

Tom Muth

Southern Ohio Chapter President

Cincinnati, Ohio 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomcarnut said:

Wayne,

It was actually Bernie Golias and the Northern Chapter of Ohio Region that ran this several years ago.

Tom Muth

Tom, I got the right state, for a country boy that's pretty good. ð���

"Hopefully in a couple years we can think about a National Tour again. My motto is car shows are for wimps, Real men and women tour in their antique cars. I do enjoy being a wimp sometimes though having taken a few cars and a vintage Motorhome to Auburn and Hershey.

Tom Muth

Southern Ohio Chapter President

Cincinnati, Ohio""

Go for it Tom. There are a lot of people in the East that would like to see something different, and Bernie's Tour is the one I was speaking of. I read it in their monthly newsletter and went wild over it.I will say this now. National can give a lot of help with events like these. You need a strong leader under complete control. I have been down that road. Never say NO! 

I will be talking to Megan too.

Thanks,

Wayne

What does this mean?

Handle the “on-the-ground” logistics such as finding suitable locations, host hotel(s), and trailer parking for national shows or tours.

My question is how many rooms?  How many of us  pull a car to the show?   Like do you need to park 20 semi trailers on site..

What kind of numbers would you have at this tour?  150 cars?  300 people..

I have never been on one of these tours.. Do they like to see the private collections or Just enjoy a great time driving the back roads of America.

A few pictures of my dads car shows in his kaiser..

He was in:

1. Hermann mo

2. Springfield mo

3. Ohio

4. Branson mo

5. Kearney NE

6. Lincoln Ne.

7. ardmore ok

8. Granbury TX

You may not see these  cars..

IMG_0005(1).jpg_thumb.png

7081161525_3b129a156f_b.thumb.jpg.bb7149ef1902cf08f3f4831238c78712.jpg

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, nick8086 said:

My question is how many rooms?  How many of us  pull a car to the show?   Like do you need to park 20 semi trailers on site..

What kind of numbers would you have at this tour?  150 cars?  300 people..

I have never been on one of these tours.. Do they like to see the private collections or Just enjoy a great time driving the back roads of America.

All national events are enjoyable, but they can vary in size.

The Eastern National Spring Meets may see 800 cars;  in less

AACA-populated areas, such as the west, there may be 

less than 100.

Tours are made for the scenic back roads, and while people

enjoy the drive, there are a few interesting sights to see each day.

Some sights may be car-related, such as interesting private collections,

but other sights are non-automotive and give participants a feel

for the area's culture and history.

When our AACA region hosted the Glidden Tour, we had 300 cars;

when we hosted the Founders' Tour, there were about 150.

Some tours are smaller.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I was not sure on the size of the meet.. Hermann mo  is great place.... but it is only b and b. Hotels.. 

But not cheap..

Ferrari club did a meet - in 2016 or 2017  here..

The kaiser club did one also..

Only 2000 people live in this town - It is very safe to bring a car here..

Guest Mark McAlpine

Hello Nick 8086,

Great questions and good info provided in response by John S.  I'll try to provide a little more detail because others are probably asking the same questions.

Handle the “on-the-ground” logistics such as finding suitable locations, host hotel(s), and trailer parking for national shows or tours: 

- AACA National will assign one of the National Directors to the National/Tour to help walk the host region/chapter through every step of the process, provide advice, etc.  For regions that need it, AACA National can help by arranging to provide a Meet Chairperson (although we’d much prefer someone from the host region/chapter be the Chairperson), the Chief Judge, Registration, and even provide “seed money” if a region/chapter with limited funds needs help covering any up-front deposits.  (The funds would be paid back to National after the show/tour.)

My question is how many rooms?  How many of us  pull a car to the show?   Like do you need to park 20 semi trailers on site?

- The number of hotel rooms depends on the size of the show or tour.  If possible, negotiate for the host hotel and other overflow hotels to provide a discounted group rate for the show/tour, offered through a certain date (usually 30 days out or less), that doesn’t commit the region/chapter to covering the rooms (that is commit you to paying for them whether they’re sold or not).  Others can weigh in, but if you have to guarantee a certain number of rooms, my recommendation is don’t commit to more than 1/2 the number of vehicles you expect to participate.  Also, negotiate to get a free “comp’ed” room and some upgraded rooms for every X number of rooms used (usually 1 comped room night for every 40-60 room nights—it depends on the hotel).

How many of us pull a car to the show?   Like do you need to park 20 semi trailers on site?

- Again depends on the number of vehicles you expect.  When our region hosted the Eastern Spring National in 2015 we had about 400 cars registered and parked 176 trailers.  (A few members parked trailers at private homes, campgrounds, parking lots of non-host hotels, etc., so the number of trailers was probably closer to 200.)

What kind of numbers would you have at this tour?  150 cars?  300 people?

- For a show in the Eastern Division (deconflicted with other major car shows/activities offered by other clubs), 300-450 cars is probably a good approximation.  (With the right venue, time of year, and area, it could be considerably more.)  The Eastern Fall National in Hershey gets considerably more (1,200-1,500)--but it's Hershey, the granddaddy of all AACA Nationals.  Smaller Nationals, particularly in the Western Division and sometimes in the Central and Southeastern Division, usually get 75-150 vehicles.  Grand Nationals vary based on which Division.  The key point to keep in mind is a well-organized National doesn't have to be elaborate or expensive, and your region/chapter will not lose money and may even make a small profit to fund future region/chapter (and national) activities.  Plus, hosting an AACA national activity is a great way to generate interest and excitement in your club, rejuvenate it, and even attract new members.

- For a tour, it depends on which tour (National Tour or Divisional Tour), location, time of year, and most importantly facilities to feed the participants.  National Tours can be 100-300 cars, sometimes more.  If you have more than 100 cars it takes some creative planning to feed people for lunch and dinner.  Not many places can handle that many people showing up at the same time, so some tours stagger the groups so they can have multiple seating times for meals. 

Do they like to see the private collections or Just enjoy a great time driving the back roads of America?

- The answer is yes—people like seeing private (and public) collections and other non-car related historic or interesting things in the area, but they also enjoy driving through scenic areas.  The generations of cars participating in the tour will determine the speed and distance you can go on each leg and day.  You can do a “hub tour” where you base out of one location, head a different direction/route each day, and return to the host hotel.  Alternately, you can do a “progressive tour” where you start from one location, drive to another & hotel each day, and end the tour back at the starting location (where any car trailers are waiting for their precious cargo).

Other more experienced people than me—especially at planning tours--can provide better & more detailed answers, but I hope this info gives you and others the basic info to help you and your regions/chapters to consider hosting a National or Tour.  There are lots of interesting areas in our country that many of us haven’t visited before, but would love to come to and enjoy.

The best way to learn about running a National Tour is to attend one or two, see what you like or don't like; see what is done, sights you've seen, meals you're served, and the kind of roads traveled.  Two things I suggest is to stay well away from Interstates during the tour, and avoid traveling the same roads when you can.  Sometimes that can't be avoided of course, and I'm not talking about the local roads from the start point (perhaps the host hotel) to the route of the day (wagon wheel tour).  Wagon Wheel Tours are the most common because you don't have to pack and unpack every day or day or two......but they sometimes allow you to see more.

Agree with Earl - the Hub Tour as it is also called is bay far the easiest, and there is a lot of fun in the evening as participants begin to return and share the fun they have had during the day. The parking lot "pit stops" for adjustments and any needed repairs are also a lot of fun, and if you do have any problems, there is usually a whole group of people who are experienced and can assist.

Tours are great but I recommend keeping the schedule light and not crammed.  Too man twists and turns and and you;ll miss all the scenery.  Keep things simple and allow time for people to socialize and not be rushed. 

As has already been said, National will provide plenty of help in planning and organizing things.  This past Reliabililty Tour in New York was great as it allowed time for some stops along the way, early evenings to visit, and smooth travels on roads that were very old car friendly. 

National also has statistics collected from events in the past that will give organizers an idea of how many cars, banquet tickets, trailers, etc. needed to host a 1st class event.

I know there are quite a few Regions/Chapters who host annual tours or shows so there is plenty of experience to put the "National" tag on them and show off your community. 

Terry

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MCHinson said:

From the winner's list:

Divisional Tour Award Eastern Division Tour - Tom & Sheri Roberts

Divisional Tour Award Eastern Division Tour - Bob & Patti Giles

But where were the tours?  And what were they called?  No National Tour received a reward?

Edited by Dynaflash8
Finished the question (see edit history)

Augustus Post Memorial Plaque Reliability Tour - Steve Heald, Chairman

Tour was held in the Geneva NY area and there were several clubs including a HCCA chapter that assisted. It was a great time and one of the best tours I've ever atttended.

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Tour was held in the Geneva NY area and there were several clubs including a HCCA chapter that assisted. It was a great time and one of the best tours I've ever atttended.

Terry

2 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Terry

Yes, I remember that now Terry.   I guess that let the Founders Tour out?

On 2/14/2019 at 6:06 PM, Robert Street said:

Mark. Since I don’t own a touring car my suggestions will be shows only.

i enjoyed the Cheyenne Wyoming show a couple of years ago. Also very much enjoyed the Iowa show last year.

i believe the Washington DC area would be great “if” parking could be worked out. Those two western shows mentioned above had great adjacent parking so that probably swayed my opinion as I have observed recent parking issues at national  shows. 

Robert

I very much enjoyed the Iowa show last year as well.  Very nice accommodations and many sights to visit.  This venue seems like it could work nicely for a Grand National Show.  

I would like to see shows spread throughout the country.  This would provide an opportunity for members who may not typically attend shows from a long distance a chance to bring their vehicles. 

Tim

• Thanks 1

Guest Mark McAlpine

Hello Tim.  The Board agrees with you, and I believe most members do, too.  That's part of the reason we're asking for suggestions of possible good locations members would be interested in visiting and participating in a National activity.  (We're also hoping some regions/chapters will see these suggestions and offer to host a National or Tour in their area.)

Many members in the west, southwest, north central, and northwest of the country comment about how far away they are from many of our national activities.  The club would love to do more in those areas--all members, regions and chapters are equally important, and we want members to be able to easily participate in and enjoy AACA national activities.  The challenge is finding places to hold these activities and someone on the ground to take the lead.  National can--and will--help to ensure these activities are successful, but we need a region or chapter in the area to identify a host hotel to serve as the "hub" for a tour or host hotel for a national show, and, if it's for a National, good locations for the show field and trailer parking.

Iowa has a tradition of holding successful and fun Nationals, and would be a good location for a Grand National.  The Mississippi Valley Region did a great job with the 2017 Central Fall Meet in Bettendorf and the Cedar Rapids Region did a great job with the Central Spring Meet in 2013.  Similarly, it's been a while, but the NIVA Region held a great Central Fall Meet in 2008.  The Minnesota Region is scheduled to hold the 2021 Grand National, but no one has requested to hold the 2023 Grand National.  Hello Iowa!  Any region in Iowa (or elsewhere in the Central or Western Divisions, which hold Grand Nationals in odd-numbered years) want to host the 2023 Grand National?

You have to write to them, get on the phone and jawbone them......especially if somebody gives you a heads up that they have a "go-getter" in their midst.  Beg, plead if you have to, but usually it works pretty good to convince them of how good they are and how good of a job they can do and how it helps them grow membership and maybe even the their treasury.  Been there and done that.....more times than I'd like to count.  Mark, you have the hardest job on the Board, in my opinion....and I've been there too.  But, after having met you, I think you may be just the guy to have some real success............because dedication really matters and you seem to have it.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Mark McAlpine said:

Hello Tim.  The Board agrees with you, and I believe most members do, too.  That's part of the reason we're asking for suggestions of possible good locations members would be interested in visiting and participating in a National activity.  (We're also hoping some regions/chapters will see these suggestions and offer to host a National or Tour in their area.)

Many members in the west, southwest, north central, and northwest of the country comment about how far away they are from many of our national activities.  The club would love to do more in those areas--all members, regions and chapters are equally important, and we want members to be able to easily participate in and enjoy AACA national activities.  The challenge is finding places to hold these activities and someone on the ground to take the lead.  National can--and will--help to ensure these activities are successful, but we need a region or chapter in the area to identify a host hotel to serve as the "hub" for a tour or host hotel for a national show, and, if it's for a National, good locations for the show field and trailer parking.

Iowa has a tradition of holding successful and fun Nationals, and would be a good location for a Grand National.  The Mississippi Valley Region did a great job with the 2017 Central Fall Meet in Bettendorf and the Cedar Rapids Region did a great job with the Central Spring Meet in 2013.  Similarly, it's been a while, but the NIVA Region held a great Central Fall Meet in 2008.  The Minnesota Region is scheduled to hold the 2021 Grand National, but no one has requested to hold the 2023 Grand National.  Hello Iowa!  Any region in Iowa (or elsewhere in the Central or Western Divisions, which hold Grand Nationals in odd-numbered years) want to host the 2023 Grand National?

Thanks Mark for your nice response.

I am very excited to hear about the 2021 Grand National Meet in Minnesota.  Anxious to see more details as they become available.  

I was unaware about the shows in Cedar Rapids and the NIVA Region as I am a newer member having joined since those would have occurred.  

Thanks, Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Mark,

As a veteran of 10 Glidden Tours,  7 Sentimental Tours,  8 Divisional Tours , 4 Founder''s Tours, 100's of Regional Tours  plus 

11 Great American Races, and a few other Touring Clubs Tours,  I can tell you that seeing America on back roads is a real treat and the best way to discover the USA.  I can also tell you that my antique car adventures have resulted in return visits to may tour communities.

I've never organized a national tour, but know from doing  40 years of local tours, described as "a drive in the country between places to eat" that the number of cars participating is often determined by seating capacity of the destination.  Like hotel rooms and banquet facilities, parking spaces, and prices, and dates available.   All a lot of work to get all the parts to fit together anywhere.  

One suggestion is to go back to Lexington Kentucky where there have been several great tours on the "Blue Grass Country".   We hear there is also a good Bourbon Tour in Kentucky.  How about a "Blue Grass & Bourbon Tour"?   I also agree with Earl that eastern Virginia is a great place to tour again.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Mark,

As a veteran of 10 Glidden Tours,  7 Sentimental Tours,  8 Divisional Tours , 4 Founder''s Tours, 100's of Regional Tours  plus 

11 Great American Races, and a few other Touring Clubs Tours,  I can tell you that seeing America on back roads is a real treat and the best way to discover the USA.  I can also tell you that my antique car adventures have resulted in return visits to may tour communities.

I've never organized a national tour, but know from doing  40 years of local tours, described as "a drive in the country between places to eat" that the number of cars participating is often determined by seating capacity of the destination.  Like hotel rooms and banquet facilities, parking spaces, and prices, and dates available.   All a lot of work to get all the parts to fit together anywhere.  

One suggestion is to go back to Lexington Kentucky where there have been several great tours on the "Blue Grass Country".   We hear there is also a good Bourbon Tour in Kentucky.  How about a "Blue Grass & Bourbon Tour"?   I also agree with Earl that eastern Virginia is a great place to tour again.  

Paul, just don't get your motor home stuck in the sand the next time you come to Eastern Virginia, LOL LOL LOL

45 minutes ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Paul, just don't get your motor home stuck in the sand the next time you come to Eastern Virginia, LOL LOL LOL

Does that mean they paved the parking lot at the Bates Motel?  (Actually. I know they tore it down)  LOL LOL LOL

We still tow with a motor home, like 10% of tour participants.  A Campground with paved roads would do for us.

Guest Mark McAlpine

Thanks for the suggestion, Paul!  And thanks to everyone else who has contributed suggestions.  Keep them coming!