Where Do You Want an AACA National or Tour to Be Held?

Guest Mark McAlpine

14 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Mark,

As a veteran of 10 Glidden Tours,  7 Sentimental Tours,  8 Divisional Tours , 4 Founder''s Tours, 100's of Regional Tours  plus 

11 Great American Races, and a few other Touring Clubs Tours,  I can tell you that seeing America on back roads is a real treat and the best way to discover the USA.  I can also tell you that my antique car adventures have resulted in return visits to may tour communities.

I've never organized a national tour, but know from doing  40 years of local tours, described as "a drive in the country between places to eat" that the number of cars participating is often determined by seating capacity of the destination.  Like hotel rooms and banquet facilities, parking spaces, and prices, and dates available.   All a lot of work to get all the parts to fit together anywhere.  

One suggestion is to go back to Lexington Kentucky where there have been several great tours on the "Blue Grass Country".   We hear there is also a good Bourbon Tour in Kentucky.  How about a "Blue Grass & Bourbon Tour"?   I also agree with Earl that eastern Virginia is a great place to tour again.  

Paul, put up a picture of your first cross country "tour car", that wagon. These guys need to see this one!!!

Hi Mark,

I am just seeing this post now as I have been out of commission for almost a month due to a recent lung operation.

I still only have limited experience with Nationals and National tours, but here is my 2 cents worth. 

I would love to see another National done by the TRAACA as the one in 2015 was fantastic and the Aviation Museum is a must see and a grand venue for such an occasion. ( I know there is an even better one planned for your area in the future as per our discussions) The Grand National planned for the NB Center next year should be fantastic as well since the location and venue can't be beat.

A National at the Henry Ford in the future would be super cool and a good way to take in all the sights as well. While we are at it it would also be a lovely place/area for a Founders Tour!

My last thoughts are any National or Tour that can be combined with an existing Auto Museum would be a perfect pairing. (ie; Gilmore, Lane, etc.)

Thanks for seeking out the members input. Looking forward to seeing you and Marion this year at the GN in Auburn, the NJ National, and of course Hershey. Hopefully my health allowing me do some more Meets/Tours if possible.

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)

1163551308_BonnieCydeMe.thumb.jpg.1ba0f74ac96674f1ddcdc64abe1513f4.jpg

2 hours ago, R W Burgess said:

Paul, put up a picture of your first cross country "tour car", that wagon. These guys need to see this one!!!

This is the picture you requested, but on the second cross country event in the same car.  The other 34 was the real Bonnie & Clyde death car.92517188_Beforethe87Race.thumb.jpg.a51711d29b5cd58ca4169340ca9a90cb.jpg

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest Mark McAlpine
13 hours ago, philip roitman said:

Hi Mark,

I am just seeing this post now as I have been out of commission for almost a month due to a recent lung operation.

I still only have limited experience with Nationals and National tours, but here is my 2 cents worth. 

I would love to see another National done by the TRAACA as the one in 2015 was fantastic and the Aviation Museum is a must see and a grand venue for such an occasion. ( I know there is an even better one planned for your area in the future as per our discussions) The Grand National planned for the NB Center next year should be fantastic as well since the location and venue can't be beat.

A National at the Henry Ford in the future would be super cool and a good way to take in all the sights as well. While we are at it it would also be a lovely place/area for a Founders Tour!

My last thoughts are any National or Tour that can be combined with an existing Auto Museum would be a perfect pairing. (ie; Gilmore, Lane, etc.)

Thanks for seeking out the members input. Looking forward to seeing you and Marion this year at the GN in Auburn, the NJ National, and of course Hershey. Hopefully my health allowing me do some more Meets/Tours if possible.  

Hello Philip,

I'm very sorry to here about your lung operation.  I hope it went well, took care of whatever the problem was, and wish you a speedy and full recovery.

I agree--I think pairing a National or Tour with a major auto museum would be great.  Being from Detroit, my personal goal (even before I became VP for National Activities) is to hold a National in the metro Detroit area in the next 3-5 years.  There is so much for antique car lovers to do and see in and around Detroit.  I believe we already have a region considering holding a National at/near Greenfield Village and The Henry Ford. 

I also hope one of our regions or chapters will consider doing something at/near the Gilmore (it's been 12 years since the club has been there).  The Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum in Cleveland would be good (although space near the museum is limited), we could return to the Packard Museum in Warren, OH (it's been 14 years since we've been there), or do something at/near the America's Packard Museum in Dayton.  Doing something at/near the Lane in Nashville is a great suggestion.  (I'd like to see us do something out at/near the Lemay in Washington, too.)  

I'll stop listing museums because there are so many great ones that I could break the Forum listing them (and don't want to irritate anyone by not listing their favorite museum).  I hope regions or chapters near a great museum see your suggestion and jump on the idea.  What could be better than more seeing even more antique vehicles?

Thanks again for the suggestions, Philip.  Get well so we can see you in Auburn!

Weighing in on a show location, specifically during the winter, I think that a show in or around the Sarasota area would be a good February location.  Consistently warm, a lot to see and visit on the west coast of Florida ... and a great place to visit!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:40 AM, Bob Giles said:

If you’re going to dream, dream big. I would like to see a Vintage Tour around Nova Scotia. 

Yes it can be done through Peggy's Cove down to  Mahone Bay along the eastern  seaboard to Shelburne would be great. The best road would be the shore line around  Cape Breton Island except for the very steep hills and no guard rails from the Atlantic.  Our Canadian club last year did a tour from Ontario to Newfoundland with newer cars and they had a blast. This July the Model T club is having a national event on Prince Edward Island. Expecting 250 cars and we are missing out working on the Vintage Tour in Kingston.  Have to watch my calendar closer.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/6/2019 at 8:22 PM, DWDCAD said:

Weighing in on a show location, specifically during the winter, I think that a show in or around the Sarasota area would be a good February location.  Consistently warm, a lot to see and visit on the west coast of Florida ... and a great place to visit!

Winter in Sarasota for 200 cars requiring 200+ rooms would require planning 20 years ahead of time and maybe some

of us won't be around that long.    Plus driving there in Winter is like driving in a Pac-Man game.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
Attempted to delete duplicate post, How do I do that? (see edit history)

On 3/6/2019 at 8:22 PM, DWDCAD said:

Winter in Sarasota for 200 cars requiring 200+ rooms would require planning 20 years ahead of time and maybe some

of us won't be around that long.    Plus driving there in Winter is like driving in a Pac-Man game.

• Like 1

Mark,

As AACA VP for activities might I suggest that you institute a policy to standardize the information provided about tours?

One piece of information that should be standard on ALL tour information would be the age range of vehicles accepted for that tour.  

Some tours do a good job of publishing the age range information in the Ads they place in the AACA Magazine, in the calendar section of the AACA web site and the tour's tri-fold brochure. Some tours publish this information in maybe one or possibly two of the about information outlets. Sadly a few tours do not publish this information at all in any of the above information outlets.

If the AACA wants to grow participation in tours this might be one way to do it. There are many current AACA Members who are not up to speed as to which tours accept what age range for that tour. I suspect New AACA members are even more in the dark about what age range is accepted for what tour. Take a look at the March/April AACA Magazine, the Calendar section of the AACA Web Site and the tri-fold brochures for this year's tours. While you are doing that, imagine you are a New AACA  member or a member who has never went on a tour before and ask yourself will the tour I am looking at accept my Antique Vehicle?

Thanks for listening,

Charlie

Guest Mark McAlpine

Hello Charlie,

Thank you for the great suggestion!  I don't think we can add the info in the calendar (but I'll ask), but we can definitely ensure the information is in all the ads and information trifolds for each tour.

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, Mark McAlpine said:

Hello Charlie,

Thank you for the great suggestion!  I don't think we can add the info in the calendar (but I'll ask), but we can definitely ensure the information is in all the ads and information trifolds for each tour.

Thanks again!

Mark, you're welcome.

Looks like some listings on the AACA Calendar of Events on the AACA Web Site  may have the age range for their tours listed.

image.thumb.png.12a72e8db25124f692ca3716d0503f16.png

image.png.4cf2124b534ef32b38c8f1fb5a019745.png

Charlie

On 4/15/2019 at 12:19 PM, charlier said:

Mark, you're welcome.

Looks like some listings on the AACA Calendar of Events on the AACA Web Site  may have the age range for their tours listed.

image.thumb.png.12a72e8db25124f692ca3716d0503f16.png

image.png.4cf2124b534ef32b38c8f1fb5a019745.png

Charlie

And technically, our tour is open to any AACA vehicle so it is up to 1994. I believe the tour was posted with 1993 in error since it was posted in 2018 when 1993 was the 25 year old limit. 

6 hours ago, MCHinson said:

And technically, our tour is open to any AACA vehicle so it is up to 1994. I believe the tour was posted with 1993 in error since it was posted in 2018 when 1993 was the 25 year old limit. 

Thanks for the clarification/correction and for making sure the tour listed the age range of vehicles being accepted in the first place.

• Like 1

Southern Chester Co./ Northern Delaware.  This area is still not very built up, yet there are tons of things to see and do, such as Longwood Gardens, a Steam Train, Herr's Potato Chip Factory, Dupont Mansions, for example.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, hursst said:

Southern Chester Co./ Northern Delaware.  This area is still not very built up, yet there are tons of things to see and do, such as Longwood Gardens, a Steam Train, Herr's Potato Chip Factory, Dupont Mansions, for example.

Don't forget the wonderful steamers at Auburn Heights, Yorklyn.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mark McAlpine

Great suggestion--thank you very much!

Everyone please keep the suggestions coming--some regions are noticing the interest of members to come visit their area and are inquiring about hosting Nationals and Tours.  Please also consider having your region/chapter host a future AACA national activity.  Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or need more information.

Guest Mark McAlpine

Thanks to Pat Buckley at AACA HQ all the AACA National & Divisional Tours now list the model years for vehicles eligible to participate in the tours.

• 2 weeks later...

With all due respect the last three pages of suggestions leave me a bit bewildered. Does anyone other then those of us who live here, even know that the Pacific NW exists? I have traveled this continent numerous times, and been overseas more times then I can count. I travel to see new places and revisit those places that I want to see again. Experience has taught me that very few who will read this have ever been here. When the southern part of western Canada is included, the area is huge, and mostly unexplored be the people here, so why no mention of wanting to see it?

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Guest Mark McAlpine

Great suggestion!  The Pacific Northwest would be a fantastic location for an AACA national activity, in particular a tour so we could see more of it.  (I've had several members suggest this to me.)  I think a tour in the Pacific Northwest would be very well attended because of the beautiful location.  The challenge is finding someone to step forward to organize a show or tour.

By any chance, are you a member of the Fort Vancouver/Rose City Region?  It's the only region in Oregon, Washington, or British Columbia.  Perhaps you could encourage it to take this on.

Even if you're not a member of the region, would you be willing to help organize a national show or tour in the Pacific NW?  (We have several members who have organized tours in areas of the eastern U.S. without a region.)

Sorry to say that "Fort Vancouver/Rose City Region," seems to have been inactive for some time. Over the last five years, I've tried to reignite a fire through this forum, but it may not be reaching the right people. I'd love to see the new generation pick up the dropped baton, but it doesn't look too promising. 

By the way don't forget Idaho and western Montana. The total area must be more the 5-6 thousand square miles. The CCCA and HCCA seem to be able tour the area, but not the AACA. Some years ago I tried to get some intervention for the national. I was given the name of the NW Regional director, who lived in Wisconsin! Maybe an important first step would be a geography lesson. Sorry to be so snarky, it's just a sign of my ongoing frustration.

Bill

• Like 1

Mark, I was speaking to a fellow AACA Member last night that has a Top Notch Grand National vehicle. When I asked him if he was bringing his car to the 2020 Grand National in Allentown, PA he said he thinks that this Grand National is the same weekend as a brand specific event at Carlisle. He also made the comment that he wished  AACA Events would check to see if other regional events are going to be held the same weekend as a proposed AACA Event. He would like to come to the Grand, is frustrated about the date conflict and will probably go to the other event along with at least one other AACA Member who could also go to the 2020 GN.

I realize that AACA events are planned a couple years in advance and that many things go into planning a National event. It can also be a challenge to try to avoid a date conflict with another regional car event. However, in the case of some regional events (aka Carlisle events)  some of them tend to have a fairly predictable schedule from year to year which a proposed AACA event could determine and avoid. Maybe AACA Nationals already take the dates of other regional events into consideration before picking a date. If not, maybe they should whenever possible??? 

If attendance of Chryslers at the 2020 Grand National is down next year you can probably guess that the event at Carlisle had something to do with it.

Just something to consider and some food for thought.

Guest Mark McAlpine

Hello Charlier,

You're correct--there is some overlap in the dates of the 2020 Grand Nationals (8-11 July) in Allentown, PA, and the Chrysler Nationals at Carlisle (10-12 July 2020).  I agree--this is not optimal and we would've avoided the calendar conflict if possible.  Unfortunately, it wasn't possible--this is the only weekend the Nicolia Bulgari Center was available.  (We inquired earlier this year.)  And, not being defensive, just explanatory, but I don't know that the 2020 Carlisle Events schedule was posted publicly when the dates for the 2020 Grand Nationals were approved.  I wasn't VP National Activities then, so I don't know.  

It would be a hectic weekend, but AACA members wanting to attend both events could hit Carlisle on Friday, bring their cars to the AGN Saturday morning, then head back to Carlisle on Saturday after judging was complete (or after the Awards Ceremony, if they wanted to stay for it) and could be back at Carlisle on Sunday.  I can't promise it because I'm not the VP of Judging nor the Chief Judge for the Grand Nationals, but members wanting to enter their vehicles in both shows could request permission (in advance) to depart early from the Grand Nationals after judging of their vehicle was complete.  (In other words, request permission to depart before the usual 3 PM release time.)  This has been permitted in other special circumstances such as when members participated in the AACA Winter Nationals and were given permission to depart early in order to take their vehicle to the Boca Raton Concours d'Elegance (which judges its vehicles on Sunday).

Thanks for raising the issue.  I assure you we do try to deconflict with other major activities we think many of our members are likely to participate in.  Unfortunately, it's not always possible.

Guest Mark McAlpine

Hello Buffaloed Bill,

I agree--and I think many of our fellow members do, too--Idaho or Montana would be great locations for AACA Nationals.  We still have the same challenge--finding a region or chapter to step forward to host the activity.  I'd encourage our regions & chapters in the west to consider hosting a show or tour--AACA National can help by providing a Chief Judge, helping with Registration, etc.  We can help with almost everything, but we really need someone on the ground in the local area to take the lead in identifying a good location and host hotel.

I missed out on the AACA Meets held in Cheyenne, WY, in 2016, and in Big Sky, MT, in 2014.  I'd really like us to return soon to somewhere in "big sky" country.

We're working it.  Thought we had something promising developing in Colorado for 2021, but haven't been able to lock it in yet.

Any help or leads you can provide on regions/chapters (or even individuals) willing to host a national activity out west would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Mark McAlpine

Hello Safarikar,

New Bern, NC, is a location many members, including me, would like to return to for an AACA Nationals.  The First Capital Chapter of the North Carolina Region has a long history of holding great AACA shows and I think they'd like to do it again soon just as much as members like you & I would like to see.  However, they got hammered by Hurricane Florence last September.  They're resilient and have overcome a lot of the damage and devastation, but I think they may need a little more time to fully recover and before hosting another show.  Plus, I've heard that the city has made some changes that absorbed some of the areas used for trailer parking at previous Nationals/Meets, so the First Capital Chapter may have to work out some other options. 

5 hours ago, Mark McAlpine said:

Hello Charlier,

You're correct--there is some overlap in the dates of the 2020 Grand Nationals (8-11 July) in Allentown, PA, and the Chrysler Nationals at Carlisle (10-12 July 2020).  I agree--this is not optimal and we would've avoided the calendar conflict if possible.  Unfortunately, it wasn't possible--this is the only weekend the Nicolia Bulgari Center was available.  (We inquired earlier this year.)  And, not being defensive, just explanatory, but I don't know that the 2020 Carlisle Events schedule was posted publicly when the dates for the 2020 Grand Nationals were approved.  I wasn't VP National Activities then, so I don't know.  

It would be a hectic weekend, but AACA members wanting to attend both events could hit Carlisle on Friday, bring their cars to the AGN Saturday morning, then head back to Carlisle on Saturday after judging was complete (or after the Awards Ceremony, if they wanted to stay for it) and could be back at Carlisle on Sunday.  I can't promise it because I'm not the VP of Judging nor the Chief Judge for the Grand Nationals, but members wanting to enter their vehicles in both shows could request permission (in advance) to depart early from the Grand Nationals after judging of their vehicle was complete.  (In other words, request permission to depart before the usual 3 PM release time.)  This has been permitted in other special circumstances such as when members participated in the AACA Winter Nationals and were given permission to depart early in order to take their vehicle to the Boca Raton Concours d'Elegance (which judges its vehicles on Sunday).

Thanks for raising the issue.  I assure you we do try to deconflict with other major activities we think many of our members are likely to participate in.  Unfortunately, it's not always possible.

Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I was just passing on the frustration and concerns of fellow AACA members who do not use the forums as I thought they needed to be heard. Thanks for listening.

I am not sure about Carlisle productions but some automotive events companies I do know of tend to keep their events on the same weekends year after year to keep it simple for their long time attendees. It is my impression that Carlisle is one of them although I could be mistaken. From what I understand the AACA and Carlisle have a good relationship. Maybe next time an AACA National or Grand National is being planned with so many hours of Carlisle the V.P. of National Activities could give Carlisle a call or send an email asking about their future schedule to prevent a conflict??? This might be a good policy to add to the V.P. of National Activities playbook for the future??

With all due respect, your suggestion about pulling out of Carlisle going to Allentown and going back to Carlisle is not very practical and may not be possible depending on Carlisle's policies. A few years back one of my cars was invited to a Carlisle event. They expected my car to be on-site from Thursday afternoon to Sunday afternoon. This was for a special exhibit so the policy might be different for a show field event.

Thanks again for listening. I will pass along your suggestion but I think I know what the response will be. Hopefully they will not shoot the messenger ;) LOL.

Hope to see you at Auburn this weekend. Looking forward to a Great event.

Charlie

Guest Mark McAlpine

Hello Charlie,

Even if Carlisle Events does allow people showing a car at the Chrysler Nationals to take their car to the AACA Grand Nationals on Saturday, I realize it would be a lot of work for the owners--I was just trying to find a way for members to do both, especially since the next Grand Nationals in the Eastern or Southeastern Divisions won't be until 2022 (in Virginia Beach).  (Obviously, if you can only attend one of the activities, I recommend attending the AACA GN.)  Of course, if someone can't make the 2020 Grand Nationals and doesn't want to wait until 2022, that's a good reason for members to take their vehicles to the Grand Nationals in New Ulm, MN, in 2021, then take them to Virginia Beach in 2022 for their Grand National Senior or Grand National Repeat Senior.

I am trying to deconflict future AACA activities with other major antique/classic car-related events our members might be interested in; however, it's not always possible--there are a lot of them (major concours shows, major marque club national activities, Carlisle events, major auctions, etc.), plus it really comes down to when regions/chapters are offering to host AACA national activities.  If there's a conflict between the region's/chapter's preferred dates and another major non-AACA event, we try to get the region/chapter to adjust its dates (by explaining the conflict and possible impact on participation), but if they can't/won't, then we go with their dates.  As I said in my earlier e-mail, I don't know if we knew about the conflict in dates with next year's Grand Nationals and the Chrysler Nationals, but this was the only weekend the NB Center was available to hold the Grand Nationals next summer.  I hope members will be able to work it out--the Grand Nationals & Zenith Award will be great, and holding the show at the NB Center and being able to view the Nicola Bulgari Collection is going to fantastic.

Syracuse, NY  Currently hosts one of the largest shows in the Northeast, the Syracuse Nationals.  https://syracusenationals.com/  Held at the NYS fairgrounds.  Plenty of camping 300+ full hookups) and plenty of parking.  I volunteer with my son and put on the AACA display in the Horticulture building.   8000 cars and 100,000 attendees.  The variable is how much it costs to rent (not sure).  Would need at least all three regions in area, Oneida Lake (I am member), Finger Lakes, and Norwich to assist.  Great location with no traffic to speak of in area.    There may be other locations in Central NY too if fairgrounds too much $$$ (One of the Universities).  Chuck

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mark McAlpine

Hello ChazA,

How about Saratoga Springs, NY, in 2021?  The AACA Board of Directors just approved the Saratoga Region's application to host the AACA Eastern Spring Nationals in Saratoga Springs on 17-19 June 2021.  (Thanks to the Saratoga Region for stepping forward to host the show!  My wife and I are already looking forward to it--we've never been to the area before.)

Syracuse is a great suggestion.  Please ask your region if they'd be interested in taking the lead for an Eastern Spring or Fall Nationals (or tour) there.  AACA HQ can provide support and, as you point out, other nearby regions could pitch in, too. The 2020 schedule is basically done (although we could possibly add a show in late July or late October/early November), but 2022 and 2023 are open.  Alternately, we have not locked in the location yet for the 2024 Grand Nationals.

Thanks for the suggestion!

On 5/30/2019 at 10:53 PM, ChazA said:

Syracuse, NY  Currently hosts one of the largest shows in the Northeast, the Syracuse Nationals.  https://syracusenationals.com/  Held at the NYS fairgrounds.  Plenty of camping 300+ full hookups) and plenty of parking.  I volunteer with my son and put on the AACA display in the Horticulture building.   8000 cars and 100,000 attendees.  The variable is how much it costs to rent (not sure).  Would need at least all three regions in area, Oneida Lake (I am member), Finger Lakes, and Norwich to assist.  Great location with no traffic to speak of in area.    There may be other locations in Central NY too if fairgrounds too much $$$ (One of the Universities).  Chuck

Look like the back to the 50's in MN..

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:39 AM, Mark McAlpine said:

Hello Charlie,

Thanks again!

AACA hosts a fantastic web site BUT! I believe the tour information could use a complete overhaul. If the region that is hosting a national event and has no link to a web site they are sunk. You should have more than a name and address to contact for info on an event. The host region has to make a flyer or brochure up that is sent to national who in turn sends it out only if asked for.  Why can it not be posted on the web? Yes a 1/4 page add goes in the magazine 2 X and speedster but that is no good if you want to look it up if not at home. Any time I ask my sons a question out come the cell phones. The club is not keeping up with the times and the use of technology. This was also brought up to me by some of the folks on the HCCA tour in Kingston last week.

Thanks see you in Kingston

Joe K.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Guest Mark McAlpine
On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 1:11 AM, Joe in Canada said:

AACA hosts a fantastic web site BUT! I believe the tour information could use a complete overhaul. If the region that is hosting a national event and has no link to a web site they are sunk. You should have more than a name and address to contact for info on an event. The host region has to make a flyer or brochure up that is sent to national who in turn sends it out only if asked for.  Why can it not be posted on the web? Yes a 1/4 page add goes in the magazine 2 X and speedster but that is no good if you want to look it up if not at home. Any time I ask my sons a question out come the cell phones. The club is not keeping up with the times and the use of technology. This was also brought up to me by some of the folks on the HCCA tour in Kingston last week.

Thanks see you in Kingston

Joe K.

Hello Joe.  Thanks for the suggestion!  I'm not sure I fully understand it because the club does post the flyers/brochures for tours (and Nationals) on the club website--they're posted under "Shows/Tours" then "Nationals (Meets) Information."  The flyer/info brochure for the AACA Vintage Tour you're hosting next week has been on the website since shortly after you submitted it to AACA HQ.  (I'll talk to HQ--it's not necessarily intuitive to look for info on tours under "Nationals (Meets)."  We probably need to either say "Nationals & Tours Information" or have a separate link for Nationals and one for Tours.)

Again, I'm not sure I fully understand your suggestion, but we'll have plenty of time to talk about it on the tour next week.  Marion & I are really looking forward to it.  I know how much work you and Lynne have put into it, so I know it's going to be great.

43 minutes ago, Mark McAlpine said:

Hello Joe.  Thanks for the suggestion!  I'm not sure I fully understand it because the club does post the flyers/brochures for tours (and Nationals) on the club website--they're posted under "Shows/Tours" then "Nationals (Meets) Information."  The flyer/info brochure for the AACA Vintage Tour you're hosting next week has been on the website since shortly after you submitted it to AACA HQ.  (I'll talk to HQ--it's not necessarily intuitive to look for info on tours under "Nationals (Meets)."  We probably need to either say "Nationals & Tours Information" or have a separate link for Nationals and one for Tours.)

Again, I'm not sure I fully understand your suggestion, but we'll have plenty of time to talk about it on the tour next week.  Marion & I are really looking forward to it.  I know how much work you and Lynne have put into it, so I know it's going to be great.

Colour me embarrassed !!!!!!!!!!!! I never seen that before and how many times I have been asked. One of the fellows that hit me up on the no info was on  the HCCA last week  will be with us next week. I will have to point it out as if I knew all along. This is pretty sad and I am the tour chairman. I may have to call in sick next week maybe. 

On 6/11/2019 at 2:55 PM, Mark McAlpine said:

Hello ChazA,

How about Saratoga Springs, NY, in 2021?  The AACA Board of Directors just approved the Saratoga Region's application to host the AACA Eastern Spring Nationals in Saratoga Springs on 17-19 June 2021.  (Thanks to the Saratoga Region for stepping forward to host the show!  My wife and I are already looking forward to it--we've never been to the area before.)

Syracuse is a great suggestion.  Please ask your region if they'd be interested in taking the lead for an Eastern Spring or Fall Nationals (or tour) there.  AACA HQ can provide support and, as you point out, other nearby regions could pitch in, too. The 2020 schedule is basically done (although we could possibly add a show in late July or late October/early November), but 2022 and 2023 are open.  Alternately, we have not locked in the location yet for the 2024 Grand Nationals.

Thanks for the suggestion!

The 2020 Glidden Tour will be there.  Next year it's VMCCA's turn to host and they got an

experienced expert to set it up, who is also a participant in the Forum.  Should be spectacular

touring in the Finger Lakes area of NY.   I'm in.

Actually, the Finger Lakes area is not 

very close to Saratoga.  Both are attractive, though.

Saratoga is a historic town with many well-preserved

large Victorian houses, and a nice historic downtown.

People will enjoy Saratoga, and family members who

may not revel in cars should go just to see the architecture.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Paul- Thank you for the compliment but I would not say I am an expert on tours.  I have helped or did a few now, enjoy it and am excited to put next year's Glidden together for everyone in both clubs.  Saratoga is a great area to tour and we have a lot for things already set up.  I also live in the Finger Lakes and agree it is a great tour area.  We had fun putting on the Reliability last year and it was humbling that it won the Augustus Post award in Philly, Steve Heald did a masterful job as director.

• Like 1