Mark McAlpine

Where Do You Want an AACA National or Tour to Be Held?

The best way to learn about running a National Tour is to attend one or two, see what you like or don't like; see what is done, sights you've seen, meals you're served, and the kind of roads traveled.  Two things I suggest is to stay well away from Interstates during the tour, and avoid traveling the same roads when you can.  Sometimes that can't be avoided of course, and I'm not talking about the local roads from the start point (perhaps the host hotel) to the route of the day (wagon wheel tour).  Wagon Wheel Tours are the most common because you don't have to pack and unpack every day or day or two......but they sometimes allow you to see more.

• Thanks 1

Agree with Earl - the Hub Tour as it is also called is bay far the easiest, and there is a lot of fun in the evening as participants begin to return and share the fun they have had during the day. The parking lot "pit stops" for adjustments and any needed repairs are also a lot of fun, and if you do have any problems, there is usually a whole group of people who are experienced and can assist.

Tours are great but I recommend keeping the schedule light and not crammed.  Too man twists and turns and and you;ll miss all the scenery.  Keep things simple and allow time for people to socialize and not be rushed. 

As has already been said, National will provide plenty of help in planning and organizing things.  This past Reliabililty Tour in New York was great as it allowed time for some stops along the way, early evenings to visit, and smooth travels on roads that were very old car friendly. 

National also has statistics collected from events in the past that will give organizers an idea of how many cars, banquet tickets, trailers, etc. needed to host a 1st class event.

I know there are quite a few Regions/Chapters who host annual tours or shows so there is plenty of experience to put the "National" tag on them and show off your community. 

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I must have fallen asleep for a minute at the Philadelphia Banquet, but what National Tour won the award in 2018?  I honestly do not recall.

From the winner's list:

Divisional Tour Award Eastern Division Tour - Tom & Sheri Roberts

Divisional Tour Award Eastern Division Tour - Bob & Patti Giles

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MCHinson said:

From the winner's list:

Divisional Tour Award Eastern Division Tour - Tom & Sheri Roberts

Divisional Tour Award Eastern Division Tour - Bob & Patti Giles

But where were the tours?  And what were they called?  No National Tour received a reward?

Edited by Dynaflash8
Finished the question (see edit history)

Augustus Post Memorial Plaque Reliability Tour - Steve Heald, Chairman

Tour was held in the Geneva NY area and there were several clubs including a HCCA chapter that assisted. It was a great time and one of the best tours I've ever atttended.

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Tour was held in the Geneva NY area and there were several clubs including a HCCA chapter that assisted. It was a great time and one of the best tours I've ever atttended.

Terry

2 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Terry

Yes, I remember that now Terry.   I guess that let the Founders Tour out?

On 2/14/2019 at 6:06 PM, Robert Street said:

Mark. Since I don’t own a touring car my suggestions will be shows only.

i enjoyed the Cheyenne Wyoming show a couple of years ago. Also very much enjoyed the Iowa show last year.

i believe the Washington DC area would be great “if” parking could be worked out. Those two western shows mentioned above had great adjacent parking so that probably swayed my opinion as I have observed recent parking issues at national  shows. 

Robert

I very much enjoyed the Iowa show last year as well.  Very nice accommodations and many sights to visit.  This venue seems like it could work nicely for a Grand National Show.  

I would like to see shows spread throughout the country.  This would provide an opportunity for members who may not typically attend shows from a long distance a chance to bring their vehicles. 

Tim

• Thanks 2

Hello Tim.  The Board agrees with you, and I believe most members do, too.  That's part of the reason we're asking for suggestions of possible good locations members would be interested in visiting and participating in a National activity.  (We're also hoping some regions/chapters will see these suggestions and offer to host a National or Tour in their area.)

Many members in the west, southwest, north central, and northwest of the country comment about how far away they are from many of our national activities.  The club would love to do more in those areas--all members, regions and chapters are equally important, and we want members to be able to easily participate in and enjoy AACA national activities.  The challenge is finding places to hold these activities and someone on the ground to take the lead.  National can--and will--help to ensure these activities are successful, but we need a region or chapter in the area to identify a host hotel to serve as the "hub" for a tour or host hotel for a national show, and, if it's for a National, good locations for the show field and trailer parking.

Iowa has a tradition of holding successful and fun Nationals, and would be a good location for a Grand National.  The Mississippi Valley Region did a great job with the 2017 Central Fall Meet in Bettendorf and the Cedar Rapids Region did a great job with the Central Spring Meet in 2013.  Similarly, it's been a while, but the NIVA Region held a great Central Fall Meet in 2008.  The Minnesota Region is scheduled to hold the 2021 Grand National, but no one has requested to hold the 2023 Grand National.  Hello Iowa!  Any region in Iowa (or elsewhere in the Central or Western Divisions, which hold Grand Nationals in odd-numbered years) want to host the 2023 Grand National?

You have to write to them, get on the phone and jawbone them......especially if somebody gives you a heads up that they have a "go-getter" in their midst.  Beg, plead if you have to, but usually it works pretty good to convince them of how good they are and how good of a job they can do and how it helps them grow membership and maybe even the their treasury.  Been there and done that.....more times than I'd like to count.  Mark, you have the hardest job on the Board, in my opinion....and I've been there too.  But, after having met you, I think you may be just the guy to have some real success............because dedication really matters and you seem to have it.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Mark McAlpine said:

Hello Tim.  The Board agrees with you, and I believe most members do, too.  That's part of the reason we're asking for suggestions of possible good locations members would be interested in visiting and participating in a National activity.  (We're also hoping some regions/chapters will see these suggestions and offer to host a National or Tour in their area.)

Many members in the west, southwest, north central, and northwest of the country comment about how far away they are from many of our national activities.  The club would love to do more in those areas--all members, regions and chapters are equally important, and we want members to be able to easily participate in and enjoy AACA national activities.  The challenge is finding places to hold these activities and someone on the ground to take the lead.  National can--and will--help to ensure these activities are successful, but we need a region or chapter in the area to identify a host hotel to serve as the "hub" for a tour or host hotel for a national show, and, if it's for a National, good locations for the show field and trailer parking.

Iowa has a tradition of holding successful and fun Nationals, and would be a good location for a Grand National.  The Mississippi Valley Region did a great job with the 2017 Central Fall Meet in Bettendorf and the Cedar Rapids Region did a great job with the Central Spring Meet in 2013.  Similarly, it's been a while, but the NIVA Region held a great Central Fall Meet in 2008.  The Minnesota Region is scheduled to hold the 2021 Grand National, but no one has requested to hold the 2023 Grand National.  Hello Iowa!  Any region in Iowa (or elsewhere in the Central or Western Divisions, which hold Grand Nationals in odd-numbered years) want to host the 2023 Grand National?

Thanks Mark for your nice response.

I am very excited to hear about the 2021 Grand National Meet in Minnesota.  Anxious to see more details as they become available.  

I was unaware about the shows in Cedar Rapids and the NIVA Region as I am a newer member having joined since those would have occurred.  

Thanks, Tim

• Thanks 1

Mark,

As a veteran of 10 Glidden Tours,  7 Sentimental Tours,  8 Divisional Tours , 4 Founder''s Tours, 100's of Regional Tours  plus 

11 Great American Races, and a few other Touring Clubs Tours,  I can tell you that seeing America on back roads is a real treat and the best way to discover the USA.  I can also tell you that my antique car adventures have resulted in return visits to may tour communities.

I've never organized a national tour, but know from doing  40 years of local tours, described as "a drive in the country between places to eat" that the number of cars participating is often determined by seating capacity of the destination.  Like hotel rooms and banquet facilities, parking spaces, and prices, and dates available.   All a lot of work to get all the parts to fit together anywhere.  

One suggestion is to go back to Lexington Kentucky where there have been several great tours on the "Blue Grass Country".   We hear there is also a good Bourbon Tour in Kentucky.  How about a "Blue Grass & Bourbon Tour"?   I also agree with Earl that eastern Virginia is a great place to tour again.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Mark,

As a veteran of 10 Glidden Tours,  7 Sentimental Tours,  8 Divisional Tours , 4 Founder''s Tours, 100's of Regional Tours  plus 

11 Great American Races, and a few other Touring Clubs Tours,  I can tell you that seeing America on back roads is a real treat and the best way to discover the USA.  I can also tell you that my antique car adventures have resulted in return visits to may tour communities.

I've never organized a national tour, but know from doing  40 years of local tours, described as "a drive in the country between places to eat" that the number of cars participating is often determined by seating capacity of the destination.  Like hotel rooms and banquet facilities, parking spaces, and prices, and dates available.   All a lot of work to get all the parts to fit together anywhere.  

One suggestion is to go back to Lexington Kentucky where there have been several great tours on the "Blue Grass Country".   We hear there is also a good Bourbon Tour in Kentucky.  How about a "Blue Grass & Bourbon Tour"?   I also agree with Earl that eastern Virginia is a great place to tour again.  

Paul, just don't get your motor home stuck in the sand the next time you come to Eastern Virginia, LOL LOL LOL

45 minutes ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Paul, just don't get your motor home stuck in the sand the next time you come to Eastern Virginia, LOL LOL LOL

Does that mean they paved the parking lot at the Bates Motel?  (Actually. I know they tore it down)  LOL LOL LOL

We still tow with a motor home, like 10% of tour participants.  A Campground with paved roads would do for us.

Thanks for the suggestion, Paul!  And thanks to everyone else who has contributed suggestions.  Keep them coming!

14 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Mark,

Paul, put up a picture of your first cross country "tour car", that wagon. These guys need to see this one!!!

Posted (edited)

Hi Mark,

I am just seeing this post now as I have been out of commission for almost a month due to a recent lung operation.

I still only have limited experience with Nationals and National tours, but here is my 2 cents worth. 

I would love to see another National done by the TRAACA as the one in 2015 was fantastic and the Aviation Museum is a must see and a grand venue for such an occasion. ( I know there is an even better one planned for your area in the future as per our discussions) The Grand National planned for the NB Center next year should be fantastic as well since the location and venue can't be beat.

A National at the Henry Ford in the future would be super cool and a good way to take in all the sights as well. While we are at it it would also be a lovely place/area for a Founders Tour!

My last thoughts are any National or Tour that can be combined with an existing Auto Museum would be a perfect pairing. (ie; Gilmore, Lane, etc.)

Thanks for seeking out the members input. Looking forward to seeing you and Marion this year at the GN in Auburn, the NJ National, and of course Hershey. Hopefully my health allowing me do some more Meets/Tours if possible.

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

1163551308_BonnieCydeMe.thumb.jpg.1ba0f74ac96674f1ddcdc64abe1513f4.jpg

2 hours ago, R W Burgess said:

Paul, put up a picture of your first cross country "tour car", that wagon. These guys need to see this one!!!

This is the picture you requested, but on the second cross country event in the same car.  The other 34 was the real Bonnie & Clyde death car.92517188_Beforethe87Race.thumb.jpg.a51711d29b5cd58ca4169340ca9a90cb.jpg

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, philip roitman said:

Hi Mark,

I am just seeing this post now as I have been out of commission for almost a month due to a recent lung operation.

I still only have limited experience with Nationals and National tours, but here is my 2 cents worth. 

I would love to see another National done by the TRAACA as the one in 2015 was fantastic and the Aviation Museum is a must see and a grand venue for such an occasion. ( I know there is an even better one planned for your area in the future as per our discussions) The Grand National planned for the NB Center next year should be fantastic as well since the location and venue can't be beat.

A National at the Henry Ford in the future would be super cool and a good way to take in all the sights as well. While we are at it it would also be a lovely place/area for a Founders Tour!

My last thoughts are any National or Tour that can be combined with an existing Auto Museum would be a perfect pairing. (ie; Gilmore, Lane, etc.)

Thanks for seeking out the members input. Looking forward to seeing you and Marion this year at the GN in Auburn, the NJ National, and of course Hershey. Hopefully my health allowing me do some more Meets/Tours if possible.  

Hello Philip,

I'm very sorry to here about your lung operation.  I hope it went well, took care of whatever the problem was, and wish you a speedy and full recovery.

I agree--I think pairing a National or Tour with a major auto museum would be great.  Being from Detroit, my personal goal (even before I became VP for National Activities) is to hold a National in the metro Detroit area in the next 3-5 years.  There is so much for antique car lovers to do and see in and around Detroit.  I believe we already have a region considering holding a National at/near Greenfield Village and The Henry Ford. 

I also hope one of our regions or chapters will consider doing something at/near the Gilmore (it's been 12 years since the club has been there).  The Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum in Cleveland would be good (although space near the museum is limited), we could return to the Packard Museum in Warren, OH (it's been 14 years since we've been there), or do something at/near the America's Packard Museum in Dayton.  Doing something at/near the Lane in Nashville is a great suggestion.  (I'd like to see us do something out at/near the Lemay in Washington, too.)  

I'll stop listing museums because there are so many great ones that I could break the Forum listing them (and don't want to irritate anyone by not listing their favorite museum).  I hope regions or chapters near a great museum see your suggestion and jump on the idea.  What could be better than more seeing even more antique vehicles?

Thanks again for the suggestions, Philip.  Get well so we can see you in Auburn!

• Thanks 1

Weighing in on a show location, specifically during the winter, I think that a show in or around the Sarasota area would be a good February location.  Consistently warm, a lot to see and visit on the west coast of Florida ... and a great place to visit!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:40 AM, Bob Giles said:

If you’re going to dream, dream big. I would like to see a Vintage Tour around Nova Scotia. 

Yes it can be done through Peggy's Cove down to  Mahone Bay along the eastern  seaboard to Shelburne would be great. The best road would be the shore line around  Cape Breton Island except for the very steep hills and no guard rails from the Atlantic.  Our Canadian club last year did a tour from Ontario to Newfoundland with newer cars and they had a blast. This July the Model T club is having a national event on Prince Edward Island. Expecting 250 cars and we are missing out working on the Vintage Tour in Kingston.  Have to watch my calendar closer.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2019 at 8:22 PM, DWDCAD said:

Weighing in on a show location, specifically during the winter, I think that a show in or around the Sarasota area would be a good February location.  Consistently warm, a lot to see and visit on the west coast of Florida ... and a great place to visit!

Winter in Sarasota for 200 cars requiring 200+ rooms would require planning 20 years ahead of time and maybe some

of us won't be around that long.    Plus driving there in Winter is like driving in a Pac-Man game.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
Attempted to delete duplicate post, How do I do that? (see edit history)

On 3/6/2019 at 8:22 PM, DWDCAD said:

Winter in Sarasota for 200 cars requiring 200+ rooms would require planning 20 years ahead of time and maybe some

of us won't be around that long.    Plus driving there in Winter is like driving in a Pac-Man game.

• Like 1

Mark,

As AACA VP for activities might I suggest that you institute a policy to standardize the information provided about tours?

One piece of information that should be standard on ALL tour information would be the age range of vehicles accepted for that tour.  

Some tours do a good job of publishing the age range information in the Ads they place in the AACA Magazine, in the calendar section of the AACA web site and the tour's tri-fold brochure. Some tours publish this information in maybe one or possibly two of the about information outlets. Sadly a few tours do not publish this information at all in any of the above information outlets.

If the AACA wants to grow participation in tours this might be one way to do it. There are many current AACA Members who are not up to speed as to which tours accept what age range for that tour. I suspect New AACA members are even more in the dark about what age range is accepted for what tour. Take a look at the March/April AACA Magazine, the Calendar section of the AACA Web Site and the tri-fold brochures for this year's tours. While you are doing that, imagine you are a New AACA  member or a member who has never went on a tour before and ask yourself will the tour I am looking at accept my Antique Vehicle?

Thanks for listening,

Charlie

• Thanks 1