How many are still around today?!

AnniesSS

My father in law sent us this video he found on YouTube of Hershey 1962.  

After watching it, I said to my husband, I wonder how many of these cars are still around today, 55 years later!  Are they still going to car shows?  Are they sitting in the garage collecting dust?  Are they rotting into the ground?  Were they (GASP) crushed?!

Makes you wonder....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Always enjoyed watching that clip.  Amazing how everyone was "dressed up" for the event- lots of sport coats, ties, white shirts, etc.  Those arw were going into the old stadium for the show and at that time the swap meet was also inside around the track.  I'm sure a lot of those cars are still around and I'm sure if some old timers study it carefully they can identify some of the people.  First year I attended was 1970 and the brass cars were still inside the stadium on display.  I've got an old 8mm film around here someplace that I need to dig out and preserve digitally somehow.  It's not long as I remember the camera batteries crapped out as I was up in the stands trying to get a good aerial view of the whole thing.  I wonder how many of those people are still attending?

Terry

• Like 1

Annie, I always wonder the same thing. My first year was 1968 and I still have the Official Program. It lists over 200 Model A fords on the show field. This year there were about 15 or so. Where did they all go, hopefully not to hot rods.

• Like 1

72 was my first year. The show was in the stadium and I couldn't believe there were 3 American Underslungs side by side.  Now we are lucky to see 3 in one year.   John

• Like 1

What a great film.

A couple of very significant cars to note: The Duesenberg Mormon Meteor which lives in Ohio today and the 1896 Duryea which is now at the Henry Ford Museum.

The Petrel runabout, known amongst HCCA tourers as the Purple Petrel is  active, on the road and probably still purple.  

If the 25 year rule applied in 1962, the 1935/36 Auburn speedster just made the cut-off.

Interesting to see all of the Silver Ghosts, while they don't turn up at shows too often, the Silver Ghost tours still attract a large number of them.

Even though you don't see that many Model As at Hershey anymore, the MARC and MAFCA National meets still attract at least a few hundred of them on yearly basis.

I like the man in the nice sport jacket carrying an old bumper over his shoulder.

I am sure all of these cars still exists and most have been restored at least once since this film was made.

Thank you for sharing  this fantastic piece of AACA history with us.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Like 1

At the 1:05 time mark the RR silver Ghost roadster at the time was owned by a fellow from Ct. named Earl Herbst, he had the car for many many years; and at the 4:43 mark is a black 1931 Plymouth coupe with a rear mounted spare with a fellow with a cap and glasses driving. that is Ray Marks of Pa. he was active in the Plymouth 4 cylinder owners club ( later to become the Plymouth 4 & 6 cylinder owners Club and then just the Plymouth Club) I was active in the Plymouth Club in the 1963-72 era and we used to have an annual banquet during the Hershey weekend, usually on a Friday or Saturday night in a restaurant in Annville, Pa.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Walt G said:

At the 1:05 time mark the RR silver Ghost roadster at the time was owned by a fellow from Ct. named Earl Herbst, he had the car for many many years; and at the 4:43 mark is a black 1931 Plymouth coupe with a rear mounted spare with a fellow with a cap and glasses driving. that is Ray Marks of Pa. he was active in the Plymouth 4 cylinder owners club ( later to become the Plymouth 4 & 6 cylinder owners Club and then just the Plymouth Club) I was active in the Plymouth Club in the 1963-72 era and we used to have an annual banquet during the Hershey weekend, usually on a Friday or Saturday night in a restaurant in Annville, Pa.

I am curious to learn more about Earl Herbst. I have 1912 McLaughlin Buick he restored and showed at Hershey in 1972. I saw it then and took a picture as did the author of 70 years of Buick that used the picture in his book. I plan to bring back to Hershey next year

• Like 1

8 hours ago, motoringicons said:

What a great film.

A couple of very significant cars to note: The Duesenberg Mormon Meteor which lives in Ohio today and the 1896 Duryea which is now at the Henry Ford Museum.

The Petrel runabout, known amongst HCCA tourers as the Purple Petrel is  active, on the road and probably still purple.  

If the 25 year rule applied in 1962, the 1935/36 Auburn speedster just made the cut-off.

Interesting to see all of the Silver Ghosts, while they don't turn up at shows too often, the Silver Ghost tours still attract a large number of them.

Even though you don't see that many Model As at Hershey anymore, the MARC and MAFCA National meets still attract at least a few hundred of them on yearly basis.

I like the man in the nice sport jacket carrying an old bumper over his shoulder.

I am sure all of these cars still exists and most have been restored at least once since this film was made.

Thank you for sharing  this fantastic piece of AACA history with us.

The Mormon Meteor owned by a Cincinnati banker won best of show a few years ago at Pebble Beach. I sent this video to his CFO a few years ago but did not hear if he ever saw it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Always enjoyed watching that clip.  Amazing how everyone was "dressed up" for the event- lots of sport coats, ties, white shirts, etc.  Those arw were going into the old stadium for the show and at that time the swap meet was also inside around the track.  I'm sure a lot of those cars are still around and I'm sure if some old timers study it carefully they can identify some of the people.  First year I attended was 1970 and the brass cars were still inside the stadium on display.  I've got an old 8mm film around here someplace that I need to dig out and preserve digitally somehow.  It's not long as I remember the camera batteries crapped out as I was up in the stands trying to get a good aerial view of the whole thing.  I wonder how many of those people are still attending?

Terry

Terry, my first trip was 1970 as a 12 year old. My flea market spot is now right by the stadium 

Tom Muth

Cincinnati, Ohio

h

13 hours ago, K8096 said:

I would think 100% of the cars in the show are still with us.  

I would sure like to believe this is the case 55 years later, but realistically, I do suspect a few were lost due to accident, severe weather, flooding, fire, etc., over the years.   Its unfortunate, but true.

Craig

• Like 1

Sometimes they need to bring re-restored.  Had the inner door panel off my A a few days ago.  It's a very faded, chalky maroon.  Inside where the paint is protected, the paint is incredible.  It is clearly evident that someone did a thorough job on this car, judging by the replacement interior and other details,  it looks to have been a typical early  amateur restoration.   But then it was left alone for decades, point being it happens some times.

The car came from PA, which makes me wonder if it was one of those 200 Model As registered at Hershey in 62?  :)

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)