Forum New Look

capngrog

I liked the old simple buttons. I think this is going to be similar to most computer upgrades. At first no one thinks it is better or easier. Given time using them they usually work out better. Think about the upgrades from XP to Windows 7 to 10 and a few short lived in between. Once use to the newer system most don't want to go back. Get the small kinks out and this will become ok. I do think the post numbers should be put back in. 

Dave S 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

Clearing the cache did not work for me, the image associated with the "like button" still does not display. Could be for any number of reasons, old browser, old operating system, etc.

There, at least apparently, is supposed to be a small image associated with the like button. What's it look like anyway?

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

I see no Like button at all in Microsoft Edge... unless you get lucky and hover over it. Then all I see is a dark gray bar with missing icons. Firefox, that I normally use, is fine with the exception of not enough contrast in colors in the selection bar that pops up when you hover. It will all get worked out. I'm sure Peter is on top of it.

Guest Skyking
On 7/22/2017 at 8:01 AM, Skyking said:

I've noticed the heavy black line is missing that let you know where on the post you left off.  That was an excellent feature.

It's back!  Thank you.........

Just found an interesting note about the latest Windows update (Creators). "Icons and text may not appear at all, or may appear as solid color blocks on devices containing these processors.  " Was talking about CloverTrail devices (mostly small tablet from 2011-2013 but sure sounds familiar.

Just tried a  different machine W10/IE11 that has not been updated since June. Star/Ball for new posts appears but LIKE is still missing until mouseover

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Today brings no pictures and no icons.... nothing but '?' all over every page.  All pictures in all forum posts have now been replaced with '?'.

Running Safari on OS X 10.12  

Just tried Chrome and it is similarly broken though instead of '?' there is a tiny stock image (look like a green mountain and a blue sky with a cloud)

My windows 7 PRO now shows a heart in a circle. I you put the cursor on iy it give you 4 options - SAD< CONFUSED< HAHA and THANKS.  

Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Didn't have to wait a day - 5 minutes and I lost all pictures and symbols.

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yes , Steve. Many thanks to you and Peter and the guys who have provided us with this fine forum. I don't know much of anything about computers , but sure apreciate you guys who do. I feel a great sense of pride to be one of a great many members of AACA. It is interesting and rewarding to see how inviting comments from forum participants can result in an even better iteration of an already powerful and friendly tool. My life would be a much lesser one without AACA.  - Carl 

What da Hell? What da Hell?  Why are the user names chopped short in the "General" section . I'm Bhigdog, I'm not Bhigdo. And why the heart. I may like some posts but there's damn few I LOVE...........Bob (Bhigdo??????) 

36 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Try to be patient folks, Peter is working on these issues with the software provider. The joys of the IT world I guess. 

If you want to spook an IT guy, sneak up behind him and say "New Update installed!!!"

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

although it may come up Bigdough

HAW HAW HAW. That might have been the case before I started messing with old cars. Now I can't even afford trailer parking.:D..............Bo.

3 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Try to be patient folks, Peter is working on these issues with the software provider. The joys of the IT world I guess. 

Steve, having witnessed the difficulties associated with prior updates, I think we understand the pain of "The Process".  The reason I made my most recent post is because I believe that Peter, and others who may be involved in the update, would like to know how the users are perceiving the results of "The Process".

Keep the faith!

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

Peter and I have both been in contact with the software provider, Invision Services, they are a large forum provider and so far seem to be given us great service.  Updates due to security are especially important so we automatically want to download any update.  Invision's staff are aware of this thread. 

• Like 2

I've owned a computer service bureau (we do publishers work on our computers) for 40+ years. I've converted our system from mainframes to servers to laptop systems. Each conversion caused some pain no matter how careful and well planned they were laid out. Hang in there all will be well soon. Most will like the changes once they get use to them. Progress is usually always good and when it's got problems it usually just leads to better improvements. This is a good well run forum you all can be proud of. 

• Like 1

Steve, it looks to me like about everything except post numbering is back up and looking good. If it is possible to change the "like" icon to a thumbs up instead of the heart, it would be consistent with what is typically seen on other sites and would be an improvement. Thanks. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

Steve, it looks to me like about everything except post numbering is back up and looking good. If it is possible to change the "like" icon to a thumbs up instead of the heart, it would be consistent with what is typically seen on other sites and would be an improvement. Thanks. 

Yeah, for some reason, I don't like the "heart" icon either.  Maybe it's because it's used so frequently on T-shirts and bumper stickers (I 'heart' my pterodactyl,  I 'heart' my wombat, I 'heart' my 48 cu. yd. dragline etc.).  Since we now have four options (only one of them is a definite "like") on the "like" button,  perhaps something more on the line of an emoji or icon expressing a desire to comment ... something on the order of a large open mouth, or just a '?' mark, or maybe a Traffic light icon with the colors signifying:

can-stock-photo_csp3572671.jpg

I'd make the middle, or caution, signal yellow and of course mount them in a classic style traffic light housing:

bw-traffic-light.png

On second thought, maybe the "heart" icon ain't so bad.

Whatever you decide upon, I like the four options.

Cheers,

Grog

Appreciate all the effort, Windows 10 v1703 seems at least partly responsible - IE11 acts differently before the update and after (e.g. "goto first unread" button/star disappeared). Understand the four options but the only notification I get is "reacted".

Safari on my Mac works fine.

On 7/24/2017 at 6:14 PM, Bhigdog said:

YES! ..............I'm no longer bifurcated. Thanks all for that. ....................Bob

you got a "confused" from me on that one Bhigdo, 'til I looked up bifurcated.... and still a bit confused so I think I'll just leave it at that...

BTW, it will be interesting to see how the different "reactions" affect "reputations". Life just keeps getting more complicated....

33 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

you got a "confused" from me on that one Bhigdo, 'til I looked up bifurcated.... and still a bit confused so I think I'll just leave it at that...

BTW, it will be interesting to see how the different "reactions" affect "reputations". Life just keeps getting more complicated....

bifurcated - Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com

Anything that is divided into two parts can be described as bifurcated.

In the heading my user name, Bhigdog, was split into Bhigdo with the "g" below it.

I was bifurcated without even being kissed first ( or even after for that matter).

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Here's good example of how the word bifurcated is used in everyday discussions. :)

• Like 1