Right Hand Drive?

Graham Man

Looking at a 1930 car that is right hand drive.  I am guessing the car was imported back to the US in the 70's.  My plan is to change it to Left hand drive but I have always wondered about the stigma of right hand drive cars.  Is there some reason they sell for less money or is that stigma gone now?

They sell less here in the USA because we drive on the right with left-hand drive cars. It is VERY difficult to drive a right-hand drive car on these highways without a LOT of practice. Much more difficult to pass others, etc.

I never understood why anyone would want to change a right hand drive car.  

I had no trouble driving a friends RH drive 30 Hispano.

My 33 Austin is RH drive and the only difference is you shift with the left hand. Otherwise the foot pedals and the 4 spd shift pattern is the same as American.  

As for pulling out into traffic, I use the side mirror same as I do in LH drive cars.

Plus, it's kinda fun to see the look on peoples face when they first notice that there's no one sitting on the  usual "driver's side". 

And parallel parking is a breeze !!!!!

And if you ever want to deliver the mail,.....

Paul 

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Neither do I not see an issue with driving a RH drive car here in the U.S., in fact it is fun!  I have two now and have toured both in all kids of traffic and roads.  The biggest challenge I have had is my navigator wanting to do the hand signals from the left seat because that is where she thought people would look for them.  Sometimes we ended up doing mirrored images of them from both sides!!

I have never been able to verify this question either.  Is it a law that all U.S. cars should be LH or did it just become standard from the flood of Henry's T's by the mid-20's?  Sometimes market forces drive a particular solution to universal acceptance and I have never seen a law mandating LH drive.  Probably out there just never found it!

Also were we a LH side drive in the horse and buggy era?  I'm to young to remember!  :D

• Like 1

Early on we were RH drive and switched.

Many early brass cars are RH drive up into the teens.

Look at the old westerns. Then look at which side the brake handles were on with farm wagons and stage coaches - lots of RH drive again.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Graham Man said:

Subaru built Right hand drive cars for the postal service folks (all private cars around here rural routes) a few years back...so they must not be illegal?  I drove a 1969 Mini right hand drive back in the 90's it was a blast!

Never had a problem with registering, or passing NY State safety inspections with RH drive cars.

Paul

My 1918 Pierce is my first RHD car and it does pose a few challenges.  I welcome having a left front seat passenger to make arm signals, especially for left turns, because I believe very few people are looking for signals on the right side of this car--if for arm signals at all.  I'd like to add turn signal lights on this car, but it will be time consuming, but I'll get to it manana.

Pierce was one of the last to convert to LHD for their 1921 models.  Stutz waited until late 1922.  I've recently read some Pierce engineering discussions from the 'teens, in which they emphasized having the tall-and-proud hand brake handle on the right (necessary for the remote transmission used through 1920) for right-handed people, since the external-contracting hand brake was far more powerful than the internal-expanding service (foot) brake.

A recent piece of knowledge for me is that the USA's horse population peaked in 1920.  So during the 'teens, even if city streets were paved, the center of the streets had a goodly amount of horse waste which one would have to try to dodge if using a left side door. 

I have a right hand drive model A phaeton. I too was going to convert it, but it is fun to drive as is and would never consider that now.

would guess that rhd cars in the US usually sell for 10-15% less.  Good to resell to Australia.

• Like 1

I've got a RHD Nissan Figaro which I've found easy to adapt to. Honestly, the only issue I have is that the turn signal and windshield wiper are on the opposite side. Sometimes, when I'm in a rush, I'll turn the wipers on by mistake when I mean to signal. Driving on the right is part of the appeal for the car. It's pretty funny to see people look in that car and react like there's no driver.

Edited by Buick64C (see edit history)

Rusty,

No that is not the problem, the car is a done deal...I think, still need to get it home.  A long time ago when I went to shows, everyone turned their nose up at RHD cars, I think the ideas was an imported car?....scratch that, I am not sure why.  It seems like times are changing?  I actually like the idea of leaving it RHD.

"would guess that rhd cars in the US usually sell for 10-15% less"

This was my largest concern.  I will most likely I will just collect the LHD parts and put them away for the next owner to decide.

10 minutes ago, padgett said:

Don't think there is any need to have your sword hand towards the center of the road any more.

That applies to driving on left side of the road, not the fun & frolic of driving a RHD car on the right hand side of the road.

After my post #8 above, I looked again at the Pierce-Arrow document I mentioned.  It was a December 1914 transcript of salespeople from throughout the USA discussing competitive cars' features including LHD with the Company's senior engineering staff. A major argument for RHD cited then, but which is very much OBE today, was to avoid going off the road into a ditch, especially at night, when meeting an oncoming vehicle on a two-lane unimproved road.  Roads were much narrower in those days!

* (spoiler)  OBE = Overtaken By Events

I suspect that potential buyers are put off by right hand drive cars because they fear that they won't do well with them and, perhaps even panic and make a costly and embarrassing blunder while driving them. Maybe people have similar fears about the idea of renting a car and driving on the left while travelling abroad. I find it reassuring that so many who have posted on this thread have easily adapted to the change.

I have three brass era cars that are right hand drive. A 09 Maxwell, 12 McLaughlin Buick and a 12 Buick. Have driven the McLaughlin the most and it has turn signal and brake lights. Do not have to pass very often at 30-40 MPH.  I also have 11 Ford that is left hand drive but with he original steering gears that our touchy at 3:1 or less. Going to put on the later model  5:1 gears to make it less exciting. Everyone asks if the right hand drive cars are foreign which I have a sign that explains why and what the carbide tank is.

Tom Muth

Cincinnati, Ohio

2 hours ago, tomcarnut said:

I have three brass era cars that are right hand drive. A 09 Maxwell, 12 McLaughlin Buick and a 12 Buick. Have driven the McLaughlin the most and it has turn signal and brake lights. Do not have to pass very often at 30-40 MPH.  I also have 11 Ford that is left hand drive but with he original steering gears that our touchy at 3:1 or less. Going to put on the later model  5:1 gears to make it less exciting. Everyone asks if the right hand drive cars are foreign which I have a sign that explains why and what the carbide tank is.

Tom Muth

Cincinnati, Ohio

"3:1 steering gear ratio" sounds very adventurous indeed. I imagine that a mere sneeze could put you into the ditch or head long into oncoming traffic.

I have driven a lot of RHD cars in the UK during my many years as a flyer in the USAF and ANG, but it was alway driving on the proper side of the road as the Brits say.

I never had a problem with the actual operation of the car and always rented manual transmission cars.  At least for modern RHD cars the gas pedal is still to the right and the clutch to the left, but it looks odd with the gas pedal along the right side of the car. Very early cars had all kinds of pedal configurations even on LHD cars.  Never had an issue driving on the proper side (left side) of the road when I got there either.

When I came back to the states was when I always had a problem, even after a short 1 week trip.  I would get in my car, pull out of the driveway, and can still remember looking down the road thinking to myself, now which side of the road am I supposed to drive on.

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

I agree with Vila about the weird pedal configurations n the early cars.  My 12 Overland is maybe the weirdest- the brake and clutch are on the angled part of the floorboard.  The accelerator is directly behind them on the flat floor but is pushed sideways towards the outside (right side) of the car by the side of your right foot to go.  I believe '12 is the only year for this as a '13 has a button you push don on in the same placement.  My '13 Stude is a small button you push down that is between the two pedals on the angled part of the floorboard.  Both are quite awkward with size 13 feet!  Oh and,yes, both have the 3 speed shift pattern mirrored from a LH so first and reverse are still nearest you in RH driving, that did take some getting used to.

And still no one has helped me with the legality of LH vs. RH in the USof A.  Does anyone really know?

Edited by avantey (see edit history)

Avantey, you have me beat with your varied accelerator positions.  My 1918's accelerator is between the clutch and brake pedals, and WAS the hardest thing to get used to.  On long, straight stretches you become somewhat uncomfortable from sitting slightly side-saddle!  Of course one CAN use the hand throttle to realign one's body for awhile if the road is not too busy.

Here in The Pipples' Republik of Califunny, RHD is perfectly legal, and I see a number of RHD imported high-end British cars.  I'd bet money that's the same in the other 49 states with the possible exception of Taxachusetts. 

I believe RHD is legal in all states, as post office vehicles are often RHD. I live in Ontario Canada and have seen numerous privately owned RHD vehicles from Rolls Royce to Jeeps in addition to post office vehicles. At least I never heard of RHD being illegal anywhere.

15 hours ago, mercer09 said:

Good to resell to Australia.

Yes, the Auburn pictured below was originally delivered in Australia as RHD. But back in the early 00's went to the US, then returned to Oz last year still RHD.

By the way my Packard remains LHD after I imported it in 2007. Only dramas are pulling out from curbs and overtaking. Have mirrors but it's always good to have someone in the RH seat to assist at those times.

Auburn 2.JPG

7 hours ago, avantey said:

I agree with Vila about the weird pedal configurations n the early cars.  My 12 Overland is maybe the weirdest- the brake and clutch are on the angled part of the floorboard.  The accelerator is directly behind them on the flat floor but is pushed sideways towards the outside (right side) of the car by the side of your right foot to go.  I believe '12 is the only year for this as a '13 has a button you push don on in the same placement.  My '13 Stude is a small button you push down that is between the two pedals on the angled part of the floorboard.  Both are quite awkward with size 13 feet!  Oh and,yes, both have the 3 speed shift pattern mirrored from a LH so first and reverse are still nearest you in RH driving, that did take some getting used to.

And still no one has helped me with the legality of LH vs. RH in the USof A.  Does anyone really know?

As I said in post #7 above, it's legal in NY State.   In 40 years of owning a RH drive car I've yet to hear of a State that it's not legal to own and drive one. 

Paul

Thank you all for the 'legal' answers!  I was thinking more in terms of the legality of a car maker intentionally building a RH drive for the US market but either way legal is legal.  Am I correct in my assumption that the sheer volume of T's since 1909 tipped the scales to LH by the 1920's?  Or were all the rules of motoring already set by then and incorporated LH as the common choice?

Having driven a right hand drive vehicle for about 20 years as a rural mail carrier I can say that for the most part, it is not difficult to navigate around with one. The big problem comes when trying to pass someone on a two lane road or making a left turn at intersections. The visibility is less than great. The small problem is that you tend to forget which is the drivers side when approaching the vehicle.   Zeke 

10 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

I believe RHD is legal in all states, as post office vehicles are often RHD. I live in Ontario Canada and have seen numerous privately owned RHD vehicles from Rolls Royce to Jeeps in addition to post office vehicles. At least I never heard of RHD being illegal anywhere.

I believe that once a car is over 25 years old, it's exempt from all the regulations that govern autos. The exception is California, which has tougher emissions standards.

Not all States exempt antiques from regulations.

In New York, the vehicle must pass inspection with whatever equipment it had originally. Horn, lights, brakes,,.... any anti-pollution equipment, etc. must all function as original. 

And, if later safety features are added, such as second tail/brake light,  turn signals, or seat belts in pre 66 cars, those must pass inspection, too.

Paul  

6 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

It is definitely legal to build and sell RHD vehicles in the US. The Post Office uses them all the time and so do rural mail carriers who are private contractors not government employees.

To clarify, most rural carriers are postal employees. There are some contract carriers but they are a small minority. Many rural carriers are required to provide their own vehicle but more and more the USPS provides the vehicle for the route. Zeke 

6 hours ago, zeke01 said:

To clarify, most rural carriers are postal employees. There are some contract carriers but they are a small minority. Many rural carriers are required to provide their own vehicle but more and more the USPS provides the vehicle for the route. Zeke 

Interestingly here in New Zealand our rural posties use regular RHD vehicles the same as everyone else does.

19 hours ago, zeke01 said:

Having driven a right hand drive vehicle for about 20 years as a rural mail carrier I can say that for the most part, it is not difficult to navigate around with one. The big problem comes when trying to pass someone on a two lane road or making a left turn at intersections. The visibility is less than great. The small problem is that you tend to forget which is the drivers side when approaching the vehicle.   Zeke 

Funny re approaching the vehicle. There are several thousand left hand drive vehicles here in NZ - mostly American collector cars. I am sure there will be very few owners who haven't gone to the wrong side of the car at least once.  I have had mine for 40 years but haven't driven it for about 15 years. Looking forward to getting it back on the road this year.

Its legal in Washington State.

You guys really think RHD makes the car worth less in the USA? I doubt that. British car enthusiasts change them back to RHD here. I would expect a RHD version to be worth more, particularly if the manufacturer was in an RHD country.

• 1 month later...

I would leave it RHD if that was the way it was built.   Depending on the car there is a 0-30 percent deduction for RHD in the U.S. vs LHD.  If the car is rare,  i.e. try to find another, then the deduction doesn't exist.

1.  Issotta - Only came RHD so no penalty.

2.  Hisso - Only came RHD so no penalty.

3.  Prewar RR - premium for the LHD PII and the LHD Springfield RR.

4.  Postwar RR - deduct 20-40 % for RHD.

5.  Prewar MB - deduct 10-15% for RHD Worldwide (Germany and U.S. make up most of market).

I agree with the theory that RHD was popular before 1920 because of the bad roads. Most roads were dirt or gravel, they were narrow with deep ditches and little or no shoulder. You needed to be able to judge your position and not run into the ditch. Traffic was sparse and you seldom passed another car. But if a vehicle was coming toward you, you had to ooze over to the right as far as possible especially if it was a fully loaded hay wagon. So, the importance of RHD and a clear view of the ditch.

Found some other interesting facts about Graham-Paige Export RHD cars...

The biggest one is they are "jacked up" the export springs incorporate about a 2-3 inch lift and dual side mounts.

I guess Graham wanted to make sure they had extra tires and enough clearance to not get stuck?  My plan right now is to watch out for someone hot rodding a Graham like mine and save the parts needed to go LHD just incase (LHD and RHD Graham bodies and frames are set up for both ways).