Right Hand Drive?

Graham Man

JMHO, but I would leave it the way it is.  There are two RHD 1926 Studebakers where I am - British Columbia, Canada. Neither owner is considering changing them to LHD.  They draw a crowd at car shows because the steering wheel is on the "wrong" side.  I can't see it having a major impact on the car's value.  

47 minutes ago, Graham Man said:

From my research it is the only 1931 Graham Model 45 Special Six Phaeton remaining... Generally I double the know number of cars so most likely two?  

Given the status,  I think RHD is the way it should be left.  Its export status is part of the story and gives it added uniqueness.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Given the status,  I think RHD is the way it should be left.  Its export status is part of the story and gives it added uniqueness.

Agree 100% !!!!!!! 

We sometimes forget that the main idea of the antique car hobby is about "preservation". As many of you know, the AACA even created a special category for it many years ago - something I was thrilled to see finally being done when it seemed like so many cars were either being over restored, or modified.   

Paul

I wish I had been able to get the cars history, the owner passed away.  My Graham expert looked at pictures of the car and thinks it came back from New Zealand or Australia.  The car has at least 4 paint jobs and lots of back yard repairs.  The only car I have ever seen with more patches in the exhaust system was on a Pinto. 

On 7/13/2017 at 11:55 AM, Buick64C said:

I believe that once a car is over 25 years old, it's exempt from all the regulations that govern autos. The exception is California, which has tougher emissions standards.

Never heard of this. Around here a vehicle must meet the regulations in force when it was built. Very old cars may not require air bags, seat belts, turn signals, 4 way flashers, dual brake systems if they were not required when they were built.

Nice car - RHD Yes. That's the way it was built so keep it as it should be. Agree with all the RHD folks here, not a problem driving.  We have a MGTC with RID as well as an early Morris and there is always a lot of interest in them and curiosity over how easy (or hard) it is to drive them here in the USA.  We've found it not to be an issue.  We've actually had a bit of fun with it where I'm riding along as a passenger pretending to steer. 

Terry

On 7/12/2017 at 1:57 PM, Rusty_OToole said:

A RHD car would be a blast to own. Get a big dog like a Borzoi or Golden retriever, clamp a dummy steering wheel to the dash and let him ride in the left hand seat. It would be a riot.

Rusty, I think you ought to be a TV producer!

Here's just the prank you were thinking, from 

the "Just for Laughs" television show.

Another way to enjoy your right-hand-drive vehicle---

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Never heard of this. Around here a vehicle must meet the regulations in force when it was built. Very old cars may not require air bags, seat belts, turn signals, 4 way flashers, dual brake systems if they were not required when they were built.

I guess I should clarify this. After a car is 25 years old, you can import it into the US even if it does not meet safety, emissions or fuel milage regulations. Since we are talking about RHD cars, I was thinking the cars were from other markets. I have a 91 Nissan from Japan that I registered in the US and was able to do so because of the exemptions. 

I have both a 1927 Nash and a 1926 Chrysler that I am restoring, both cars are right hand drive and are going to stay that way for very good reason, some of the parts on these cars cannot be changed over without major complications. The Nash engine block is strictly RHD only, so to change it to LHD means replacing the motor which has just been rebuilt. The Chrysler has similar issues, different exhaust manifolds, transmission housings, pedals etc.

I have also rebuilt RHD Auburns and yes they can be converted, but to be correct you even need to swap out the frames as there are differences.

A freind of mine converted a 55 Chev from LHD to RHD, the dashboard and firewall "looked" the same, but in practice did not work and he ended up having to change both of them , a huge job.

One of the joys of rebuilding right hand drive american cars is having to be aware that some LHD parts will be of no use to you.  I have to be careful of what I am ordering, and have over the years bought parts I cant use. An example is a simple thing like door mirrors, the reflecting angle on LHD and RHD mirrors are different, due to where the driver sits. Thats why there are different part numbers for LHD and RHD. If you are wanting to convert a car from RHD to LHD get hold of the parts manual first and see what parts are different, I think you will find it not worth the effort.There is far more involved in conversions than people realise.

My advice, its a nice original car, keep it the way it was built as a RHD.

Viv.

• Like 1

My plan right now is to keep it original RHD, there is a short list of RHD only parts in 1931.  The problem is its a Graham-Paige not a Chevy.  I have most likely 30 US 1931 Graham LHD cars remaining, lets say 2 parts cars just for argument.  Most likely 2 RHD cars in the US, 0 parts cars, again just for argument.  Luckily the world is only a click away and I have lots of friends in Australia so I might be able to get some RHD parts if needed.  I still plan to watch for a hot rod victim LHD running gear Graham to have in reserve.  I love the history but the best part about history is getting the Graham out and driving her, if I run out of RHD parts, LHD seems like a good option. 

PS a guy is trying to sell a Graham running gear (frame running gear and engine) in the "For Sale" as we speak