Need Advice

nick8086

Just a little late : HAPPY FIVE - FIVE , Nick ! I hope you and your family are in good health , and have many more happy birthdays !

But , a person's fortunes , both monetary and health , can take a serious hit in a nanosecond. I will be 73 in a few days , and was in good health into my late 60s. A bad mountain snowmobile accident changed that. I feel pretty good most of the time now , but I can't do much work on my cars anymore. I can't drive them as much as I would like. I have a huge project that I had to abandon. But I am very grateful that as crazy wild as I was , that I did not end up paralyzed from my snowmobiling. See what I mean ? There are a great many things which can deal anybody an unexpected bad hand at any time. It can change a person's priorities , and options. Do you have a personal example in mind for us to offer help ? You say "Need Advice". On something specific ?   - Carl

1 hour ago, nick8086 said:

Why do car guys fix up a car. Spend the $$ and just park it?? 10 years or more.. 

The reason you don't know...???. or is your question based on the fact that you do know... ??

is so very easy to understand, and fully accept that person, is the fact that you are such a rare person that knows the true meaning of LIFE, and then, when actually knowing that you do, it only leads to eternal happiness.

...I spent the last six months quest to get where I am, and I DO KNOW the secret.

30 minutes ago, C Carl said:

HAPPY FIVE - FIVE , Nick

30 minutes ago, C Carl said:

I will be 73 in a few days

C Carl....I do now know, over that 6 months journey of mine,  that YOU are a very rare,hard core prewar guy, so active, and non fearing person, that you can and do, ...indeed jump into an old Caddy and head to parts unknown, and not care how it turns out, good or bad, it does not matter to YOU....despite your "years of earthly experience"...not your "age"  >  :) 

1 hour ago, Roger Zimmermann said:

For the fun of it!

Roger, that short answer, leads me to wonder if you TOO, know the secret... But... I do NOT  need to know  :)  because it does not really matter if I ever know.

Edited by F&J
forgot to add a T to make a word say NOT, rather than NO (see edit history)

33 minutes ago, Roger Walling said:

The enjoyment is in the effort to restore, but then what do you do with them?, but save your efforts for another enjoyment, the sense of pride.

Roger, as I posted on one of my resto threads yesterday.. I just gave away yesterday,my 32 Ford that I saved from junk body part to make my dream car over a 10 year occasional project...just got it on the road in  October... I gave to my son, I never realized I was only building what I saw on a 1972 rod magazine showing just the backend 3/4 view of that model, at one of the first ever Rod Nationals in Peoria, Illinois, '''  I just realized this AM that that was not really true about my dream, my dream was the caption UNDER that pic then.  It said "Two 18 year old kids drove it to the show from home in NJ, with a cracked block."  Yes, the car was what I really really liked, but I know I must also have been wanting inside me, to do the dare to chase the experiences that they had.

My car is no longer my task to do a few more details, it is my son who can do that quite easily.  I am so stoked that "why wait till it is in my will, before HE finally gets full use of that car! !"....I will get so much PRESENT JOY from still being here to see it...for years?/ who knows/cares how many...

I will be rushing today to do a tidbit or two, on his friends first prewar rod, a family farm truck, long since junked.  He wanted to save THAT truck, so I helped as a side job here, and it is going back home at noon... THEN!!! I get to now get a bit further with one of two more of mine!  (both stock) and.....I want to drive the wheels off of ONE in particular/... I will be following my OLD hotrod to the local monthly cruise!!!

Most people assume driving is the "best" part of collecting.  I see:  searching, acquisition, research, scavenging for parts, restoration, etc as all being interesting.  Driving is great, and maybe the most fun but there are other fun aspects to the hobby. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Most people assume driving is the "best" part of collecting.  I see:  searching, acquisition, research, scavenging for parts, restoration, etc as all being interesting.

I agree, but it's kind of like designing an building you dream home.  Why do if you don't really intend to live in it.  (Or drive it in our discussion)  

As a guy who loves to drive them, I recruit others with old cars to take drives together.  While there is a lot of interest, many never come out to actually go on the drives (Local Tours)   I find the reason is most often a lack of confidence in the vehicle itself. Yes, the fear that it may breakdown stops many people from enjoying their cars.  "It might cost more money to fix it, so I'll just keep in the garage because it's to nice to take a chance with".

Along with a few other guys we recruit our tourists by offering to help fix minor problems in exchange for participation  (Only works sometimes)  That fear that a 80+ year old car may have a problem is the biggest reason they remain locked in the garage.

We have a 84 year old neighbor who owns a 1930 Model A Coupe that he proudly offered for sale for $18,000.  When I heard he had it, I tried to recruit him to bring it out where others potential buyers could enjoy it.  He claimed it was to nice to drive, which peaked my interest.  Yesterday, I spoke to another neighborhood car guy who knows the car, he told me that the guys car has not run in 18 years, had 4 flat tires an probably a stuck engine,  I had been painted in his driveway, and the upholstery was made by his wife gave me totally different mental picture.

Maybe when the 60 year old son owns it, it will have another chance to become an automobile again.

alsancle has it right, the same way I feel. I do enjoy driving the cars the most , but all the rest he mentions is a great part of it as well, especially in the dead of winter.

I bought my "bucket list" car a year ago, after a nearly a year in a shop getting 35+ years of mechanical neglect sorted out at a slow pace (so I could afford to pay the invoices! and heat and insulate my garage) I got the 1930 Packard here last Wednesday, and got the annual NY State inspection taken care of yesterday morning early at the service station I use that is run by two former students of mine. Not many customers arriving at 7:15 am so after the inspection my former student asked "could you take me for a short ride?" Well, that was all I needed to hear, so we went for a 3 mile ride in Queens streets near his station. What a blast to get the reaction of someone who knows cars but whose focus is mainly on resto rods. "Wow this rides really nice, and has lots of power" "How cool is this"  Made my day! I bought the car with never having driven it, and with the wet weather only got to back it out of  a friends trailer and down my driveway into the garage. So far have driven it 14 miles, and am so pleased with the way it works, far exceeds my expectations.

• Like 1

I think some of it is that our old cars and bikes need maintenance and we are so used to just jumping in and going with the newer stuff. Points, grease this or that every 500 miles, oil in the cups, valve adjustments, clutch adjustments, etc. etc.

When it's a fresh restoration it gets done, but then the star fades.

Me, I solve this problem by never finishing the restoration?. I'm always driving around after restoring this or that component and doing a road test.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, F&J said:

Roger, that short answer, leads me to wonder if you TOO, know the secret... But... I do NOT  need to know  :)  because it does not really matter if I ever know.

My short answer is more because I'm not so fluent in English (in French either...) I suppose everybody has his own reasons or incentive to restore a car, to drive it or not. I restored 3 cars in a time frame of about 20 years. I drove the first one the most because it was a new feeling; with the time, the need to drive is just going away. Too many people on the road and cars from the fifties are so prone to overheat...

To each his own secret!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nick8086 said:

Why do car guys fix up a car. Spend the $$ and just park it?? 10 years or more.. 

If they're anything like me, they save the money for the parts needed in order to keep it on the road and all of a sudden SOMETHING ELSE COMES UP AND GRABS THE MONEY! Oh....did I yell that? I meant to.

• Like 4

for me- the purchase is the most fun-

"I see:  searching, acquisition, research, scavenging for parts, restoration, etc as all being interesting."

this step is next and believe it or not, the driving I could take or leave. Like to go out and look at one of my cars, admire it and get on with the day!

everyone has a different take..............

• Like 1

Few will admit to such, but most older restored cars/trucks just aren't as quiet, smooth riding, safe, fuel saving, one the BRIDE enjoys riding in, a piece that to often surprises you with issues, so it sits.  Most have cars/trucks that are so improved that those are what you naturally jump in and drive.  IMHO

In the 50's I/we just jumped in and often headed cross country with LITTLE concern that it wouldn't perform.  Just read all the comments regarding all the issues that must be addressed today before jumping in an older car.  

There is a TON to be said about the FUN/ENJOYMENT of restoring a piece,  the thought process as you restore often is so rewarding.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.  WELL, IF YOUR CAR HAS A VISOR, THEN THAT CHANGES IT ALL, hehe. Got to love that Ben.

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)
  • Like 1

How about the fact that I just was able to "teach" my favorite part of vintage hobby?  I run a one man vintage mostly-only place.  There I suppose has been some minor teaching done there, but I just did all this today, as just fun,  "Long gone, Country Connecticut, living in the Past???   I will skip me going to the hardware store for grinding discs to finish some work on the first truck here at my place.  The owner Tim,23 yr old, is part of what must be the biggest dairy farm anywhere around here in Eastern Connecticut.

Tims truck being loaded on a friends borrowed trailer at my home, with our early 50s Oliver OC3 crawler loader.

100_0127.thumb.JPG.04183163baa8089d7e81f464c10de86f.JPG100_0128.thumb.JPG.582da38ab6606000ebf3f9addbc30b0d.JPG

Next, at Tim's Sisters home she just bought,,right straight across from her and Tim's folks;  a dead quiet country road (named for the Family, back when??) 4 minutes from me.100_0130.thumb.JPG.a37201837385b31c203c54faef244e13.JPG

Below;  I "caught" my son taking a pic of his new Ford he acquired just yesterday afternoon.  I think he has truly accepted it as his and not mine, as he did not see me watching until just after this pic. Tim's parents place is across that road.

100_0129.thumb.JPG.269463d066d5cd0add83209d6388e723.JPG

Right after we got the 34 Ford in his sisters 2 car garage, we then tackled his 75 Jeep CJ.  His Dad bought it new,  Tim has had a lot of trouble with it as it just sat in a basement shop way too long.  I really am good at barn starts as I like doing them, so I want to pass stuff on.  I can't expain in few enough words, but that jeep was the 2nd toughest one in my 50+years.  The 1st toughest one or THE worst one was in January!, my son's 83 Chevy truck that sat 20 years exactly.  In both caes, several people had really gotting things messed up good, so it is quite a chore to backtrack or trace back what they did.  I can assure everyone here that I always CAN, I have NEVER failed, and I never will.  It did take two long hours but teaching or learning what the students knew already too.  It sure ran, but as Tim fought it like I said it would need after firing...I am waving and yelling kill it.  They never heard, but I heard rod rattle develop quite quickly.  Then a course on oil pump diagnose, it was DOA, but proper tests said it just needs a force prime...he thought bad pump, but I gave the course on telling that then.  I have air-powered oil prime stuff at home, so we will get it going soon..

Anyways we all knew the next fun thing after the jeep was to head to one of many other small farms the family corporation owns, and each has more barns!!!

Tim just bought this Model A.  I asked him what year do you think it is?  He said 1930.  :)  I need my local buddy Kevin to meet up with Tim, and Tim knows Kevin from once being the Local Vo-Ag teacher in our town.  But...they never hooked up, but must!!, as both are Model A guys "now"  :) Kevin had a few, but settled in with a 29 AA longbed 1.5 ton pickup like the TV show "The Waltons, as well as a 30 tudor".  (all stock on both) I will call Kevin tonight to get things in motion.

100_0131.thumb.JPG.71ef586fdf9f5683cffd34dee9380cc7.JPG100_0134.thumb.JPG.639c73a13eb9164547c3f2b7da48ac8b.JPG100_0135.thumb.JPG.e5cac2c9973901c8cd6e541bcc3d445d.JPG

and a second bed  below

100_0133.thumb.JPG.54c9d3cfb06eb11a003f8a68af5f28f8.JPG

and an International cab that was being saved  to re-cab an open  cab 32 Int firetruck stripped as a flatbed for future farm work decade, but never happened.  The Frire truck is in so nice shap, but in another barn at another small family farm nearby!

100_0132.thumb.JPG.a43d1ba1e496da4bf3907735dd14dfaa.JPG

Country life is getting stressed away, but there are a few hold ons, just about in any town ,,,, I hope it never completely goes, it would be such a loss beyond my words.  I can't possibly tell the things I experienced today just at ONE huge family deal..... scenes of vast croplands, hayfields, wild flowers, tall grasses, ivy growing over manmade things, the skies, the tree types, the haybale smells ...oh!!...and the wonderful  farm PEOPLE..  It is so important for all to see someday...while we still can..

last pic as we left...stopping for a quick pic of their main farm where the dairy cows are, trucks as well as huge lines of tractors rigged and ready for yet another year.. tim had to get back to work...and he actually beat us there as we took another short road to see much more of their holdings.. wow what vistas we experienced

100_0136.thumb.JPG.71dd643e9dded407befc2b35cbfb3d5f.JPG

Edited by F&J (see edit history)
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, mercer09 said:

for me- the purchase is the most fun-

"I see:  searching, acquisition, research, scavenging for parts, restoration, etc as all being interesting."

this step is next and believe it or not, the driving I could take or leave. Like to go out and look at one of my cars, admire it and get on with the day!

everyone has a different take..............

I would agree on the stalk and purchase comment.  If you asked me 10 years ago looking at them was what gave me great joy.  The problem with a restored car though, is that if you are just looking at it, the car is quietly deteriorating behind the scenes.  Really the only way to combat that is regular driving and maintenance.   Now, a cool non-running project car can sit for years and years and not deteriorate.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I would agree on the stalk and purchase comment.  If you asked me 10 years ago looking at them was what gave me great joy.  The problem with a restored car though, is that if you are just looking at it, the car is quietly deteriorating behind the scenes.  Really the only way to combat that is regular driving and maintenance.   Now, a cool non-running project car can sit for years and years and not deteriorate.

Well AJ, I read this above and am still needing an answer that might relate to ME.  Do you know for sure if you are driving a finished resto as maintenance as just one reason you have in your mind, OR can you say if you drive because you MUST, for fully admitted/fully understood pleasure............   as the FIRST reason??

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:42 AM, F&J said:

Roger, as I posted on one of my resto threads yesterday.. I just gave away yesterday,my 32 Ford that I saved from junk body part to make my dream car over a 10 year occasional project...just got it on the road in  October... I gave to my son,

He is very lucky that you have given him the car and you can watch him enjoy it.  My parents gave me nothing but a hard time. 

Enjoy your time with your son and his new car. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, F&J said:

Well AJ, I read this above and am still needing an answer that might relate to ME.  Do you know for sure if you are driving a finished resto as maintenance as just one reason you have in your mind, OR can you say if you drive because you MUST, for fully admitted/fully understood pleasure............   as the FIRST reason??

I have come around on the driving for a few reasons.  One, I did my first tour last year with one of my dad's cars, brought my wife and had a lot of fun.  Two, I have friends who aggressively drive their cars, and the idea of doing stuff with them is appealing.  And three, the maintence issue is real, and letting a restored car sit is just a really bad idea.   That said,  my primary joy's come from other aspects of the hobby, with driving maybe third or fourth on the list.  And even then, I was sort of forced in to it.

2 hours ago, Pomeroy41144 said:

My parents gave me nothing but a hard time. 

Think instead of only the good times,,, :) then you will feel a smile

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

sort of forced

A potentially very dangerous statement if misunderstood by me...hence the word potentially

I will let you know by PM if I finally crack that history mystery of where my LaS came from....the person with those "tagged" parts and I are playing phone tag as of this AM... I KNEW it would be tag deal, I already said I knew he was busy, and that is why I still can be excited I may find out today? or never?  I don't really know, do I   ??

he, he!!! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2017 at 6:17 AM, C Carl said:

Just a little late : HAPPY FIVE - FIVE , Nick ! I hope you and your family are in good health , and have many more happy birthdays !

But , a person's fortunes , both monetary and health , can take a serious hit in a nanosecond. I will be 73 in a few days , and was in good health into my late 60s. A bad mountain snowmobile accident changed that. I feel pretty good most of the time now , but I can't do much work on my cars anymore. I can't drive them as much as I would like. I have a huge project that I had to abandon. But I am very grateful that as crazy wild as I was , that I did not end up paralyzed from my snowmobiling. See what I mean ? There are a great many things which can deal anybody an unexpected bad hand at any time. It can change a person's priorities , and options. Do you have a personal example in mind for us to offer help ? You say "Need Advice". On something specific ?   - Carl

Hey Thanks..

It was a great birthday..

Cheers Jake..

I took a car to my first car show Tuesday.. . I had to move it any way.. Just a side trip..

IMG_4257.JPG

IMG_4256.JPG

IMG_4253.JPG

IMG_4258.JPG

IMG_4260.JPG

I know some of you will disagree, but many pre -war and a few post -war cars are somewhat nerve racking to drive in todays traffic.  It would be great if we all lived in an area of endless quiet rural roads, but for many that is not the case. And after a few times in todays fast paced, need to be able to stop on a dime, every day urban / suburban traffic the potential delight of a trip in the pride and joy slowly turns to dread. It's bad enough many days in a modern car, and in a 60 + year old car sometimes downright unpleasant. And the vintage car becomes garage bound.

Greg in Canada

• Like 3

It is actually surprising the number of people that drive off in a 2 passenger sports car after they get married.  I'm thinking anything different is probably a cool way to drive off.

Kasier Darrin's are very very cool.  Too bad they didn't pump the engine a bit and Dutch's only styling mistake was that kiss - but I would not throw one out of my garage!!

Strange as it may sound, and as difficult as it may be to comprehend, some  folk do actually enjoy just being able to take in the lines of a  particular vehicle.

I had a 1955 Cadillac Coupe deVille for six years.  During my ownership I am certain I never put 100 miles on the odometer.  At the same time, she brought a smile to my face each/every time I entered the garage.  The car was not only a joy to view/contemplate, it brought back warm memories of my long passed father who also had a 55 Cadillac and a sense of pride that I was fortunate enough to be able to own a mid-fifties Cadillac.

I eventually got to the point where I realized it was selfish of me and not in the best interests of me, the car or fans of old rides to keep the car in my garage so, reluctantly, I sold her.