Cord

Xander Wildeisen

I've seen this car in person.  It is owned by a fairly well known collector.  The front Cord stub frame has been replaced with something else.  It has a mopar straight 6.  Most of the Phaeton specific pieces are there.   It is a rare side pipe car without the supercharger.

00O0O_abwx9jkaDE7_1200x900.jpg

I don't know the car, but the barn it's in is very familiar to me. Maybe a very rusty sedan could be sacrificed to put the car back to what it once was. Only need time and money.......lots of both.

• 1 month later...

Another failed sad attempt to gild the lily.  Over the years such attempts have usually been un-done and corrected by caring aficionados, or the creation got broken up for parts.  There have been such abortions as a Jeepster rear section grafted on, a modification with both front and rear engines, doors cut down ala Darrin, disappearing headlights covered over with fixed lights, rear window replaced with a large wrap-around, and so on.  I personally laid to rest the Cord-O-Matic, a crude but clever '50's custom which featured a '47 Lincoln front clip, a Rocket 88 with Hydramatic and a Columbia rear.  It was in derelict condition.  I saved the 32 pounds of lead melted off, and all Cord portions, including the body. 
None of the "makeovers" ever come close to improving on Gordon Buehrig's masterpiece. 

That one has been for sale for a very long time - I believe Chrysler frame.  That said, I am surprised the body alone is not worth the asking price or close enough to it.   Seems like a sedan parts car (for years, in the 80s, a local guy had two sedans he could not sell at $2,000 or so each) could get you a lot closer to the promised land...

Bob,  I posted a bunch of never before published Cord customs done in the 1940s and 50s to the Hot rod cord thread.  When they locked that thread I lost interest in the Hamb and maybe check in once a month.  I'll never understand why the guy locked it other than he was being a power hungry jerk.  I'll wander over there and find them an bring them back here.

• Like 1

I don't remember the exact price but somehow 28,000  strikes a note.   

Sedan parts cars are running around 20,000 plus right now with a drive train.(these are project not driver type cars and often disassembled)   Often 25,000 and up depending on what the sedan is and if any mechanical components have been rebuilt. 

There is a supercharged convertible in a barn north of me supposedly good original or older restoration that the fellow wants to sell. May take a drive up next week see what else he has and will post some pictures of it.  I am looking for an older car so no interest in it as a future project.

I think we have a sample of Darrin in one and Exner in the other. I am a big fan of both, but not this example for Exner. The really best modified Cord revival is this.

192056884ef81946485e4c51251b0c3a.jpg Actually that picture could be my old one. I used to just sit and look at all the styling ques they took from Cord.

Cords have very nice styling, there are things on the L-29 that hold it back a little. If building one in to a custom, the antique looking wood stove dash pieces would have to go. And adding 3-4 inches in the overall length of the car in the door area. Would put it in proportion. The 36-37 Cords are a very nice looking car, a person would want to be careful changing things. 

9 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I think we have a sample of Darrin in one and Exner in the other. I am a big fan of both, but not this example for Exner. The really best modified Cord revival is this.

192056884ef81946485e4c51251b0c3a.jpg Actually that picture could be my old one. I used to just sit and look at all the styling ques they took from Cord.

Toronado...."The car with the science fiction styling". B)

Given the fact it is a 1929 car the L29 has fabulous styling.  You need to compare it to other 1929 cars to really see the merits of the design.

Here are a some other customer cord pictures.  The very nice cad-cord came from my private collection and I'm still annoyed I wasted my time posting them to the HAMB.

37080.jpg

CaddyPoweredCord2.jpg

Cord-Caddy.jpg

scan0002.jpg

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

I still remember the first time I stood next to a Cord Beverly style sedan a looong time ago: "Wow! What a small car!"

Bernie

That may be said of that ugly orange rendition above, but the 810-812  Cord never left that impression on me.