Just what he needs!

R W Burgess

We would always screw around with new kids and ask them to get an adjustable wrench. When they got back with the wrench we would tell them that the one they had was "metric", not the one we need!  Xander, I thought an Idaho socket set was a "channel lock pliers". 

Wayne, I know it works for SAE and metric.  However, what about us who have British cars that use Whitworth.  Perhaps, there is an accessory to the wrench for those who need that British standard.  I am very disappointed that you did not include the British version.  I do have a left handed Monkey wrench for Whitworth nuts so they do make them.  Very surprised about how little you know about tools.

Why this year for Xmas, Santa is bringing me a left handed T-shirt for the Monkey wrench.  All you have to do is ask Gloria.  This way I will know which hand to use with which tool, instead of having to guess all the time.  Don't even start me on screwdrivers, let alone pneumatic grinders.  To top it off when I use lug wrenches I have to guess which shirt I have to wear and when I do late 40's Chrysler products I go nuts so I hope you are happy.

Edited by bill pritchett
revision (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, bill pritchett said:

Wayne, I know it works for SAE and metric.  However, what about us who have British cars that use Whitworth.  Perhaps, there is an accessory to the wrench for those who need that British standard.

I have an app on my smart(?) phone that allows it to be plugged into the wrench so that it can be used on Whitworth fasteners.  This includes both the right and left hand Whitworth fasteners.  If you do a standard Groggle Search under the term, "double ended, medium torque, multi-span, post-calibrated  wrenching device", you'll see the app listed.  It can be yours for a fee of $19.96!

Cheers,

Grog

20 minutes ago, bill pritchett said:

Wayne, I know it works for SAE and metric.  However, what about us who have British cars that use Whitworth. ......

.I hope you are happy........

Bill, I am always happy! Son and wife just left shopping, my buddy "Jack" and I are getting along just find, thank you. You speak of whit-something, here I just learned sec. Grade English?????

Grog, don't confuse matters, Bill is already doing a great job of that!!?

Cheers....breakfast of champions!

British Standard Whitworth (BSW) is one of a number of imperial-unit-based screw thread standards which use the same hexagonal bolt head and nut sizes, the others being British Standard Fine thread (BSF) and British Standard Cycle. These three are collectively called Whitworth threads.

Santa uses North Pole left twists if I remember correctly.  He has to plug in thought as he runs at 330W.

23 minutes ago, bill pritchett said:

British Standard Whitworth (BSW) is one of a number of imperial-unit-based screw thread standards which use the same hexagonal bolt head and nut sizes, the others being British Standard Fine thread (BSF) and British Standard Cycle. These three are collectively called Whitworth threads.

Santa uses North Pole left twists if I remember correctly.  He has to plug in thought as he runs at 330W.

Keep a watch for the RR & B F-head engines at car shows this season. You will see the wrench in post #1 is definitely used for servicing the exhaust manifold studs for that engine.

Bernie

It does not seem so long ago that old men played those tricks on me, told me about "coming up on the rocks and shoals", pinching with their gnarly old fingers,  and all that other mean hearted stuff. Now that I am one, I remember and don't abuse anyone but old farts.

A very early memory is sitting in a barber shop listening to the owner tell his cronies about a young kid asking for a shave and how he had given him one that would hurt for a week. And they told me I grew up with little respect for my elders or authority.

Bernie

On 12/20/2016 at 2:02 PM, capngrog said:

I have an app on my smart(?) phone that allows it to be plugged into the wrench so that it can be used on Whitworth fasteners.  This includes both the right and left hand Whitworth fasteners.  If you do a standard Groggle Search under the term, "double ended, medium torque, multi-span, post-calibrated  wrenching device", you'll see the app listed.  It can be yours for a fee of $19.96!

Cheers,

Grog

Grog, I googled it and it came up with your post!

Google will never let you down!

• Like 1

When we first bought the 365,xxx mile 1960 Valiant V-200, it was burning oil at a rate of 15 miles per quart. Prior to affording the 60/40 mix for 4 successive oil & filter changes to free up and flush the sludge, my factory-untrained Muck-kanik used his Left-handed SAE Vice Grip to install the J. C. Wit-Less Smoke Sifter to minimize hazards to our New Jersey mosquitos.