Velocity channel

plymouthcranbrook

What are you guys talking about?!? I'm told those shows could be my salvation and I should sell all my dads cars to them. (If I had just $1 every time someone has insisted that in the last couple years. People are gullible and think it's real life, not TV.)

I guess I'm just a fool to try and clean them up and sell them the old fashion way on eBay. Haha

• Like 1

Velocity programming is clearly far from reality, but it's better than whatever else is on because, if nothing else, pretty cars are on TV.

Also, I have personally met Wayne Carini. I cant think of one single bad thing to say about him.  He was incredibly cordial and appeared to be a "regular car guy" to me.  (That's a complement) In fact, he asked me questions about me.  Incredibly approachable guy.

• Like 1

The comment of "It's about money." wraps up the whole thing. But made me laugh. I found this picture a couple of days ago:

carshow$.jpg

Big deal, 800 bucks, a couple of skull rings, and a Sunday funnies on his skin?

The stories and the plots go back to Plato's days. They are the standards any reader is very familiar with. If these guys lived in medieval Europe they would have told the same stories, but lived under bridges. Grimm's Garage, now there's one. I think I saw a little evidence of that while flipping through the channels.

I hear the VC pays about $50,000 per episode. I was surprised it was that low. That $800 is probably two weeks pay for a lot of the crew.

As a product of the '50's and '60's I didn't grow up with hero's and didn't have to live vicariously through a fiction character. The potential hero got shot and the kids were shoved off to war. I guess 50 year old guys with gray pony tails, skulls and iron crosses bring a different thought to me. Sometimes in a restaurant my Wife will accuse me of staring at a person. I just laugh and roll my eyes. I couldn't tell they were just being their self and trying to fit in. It is an uphill battle for media to please me. I watch Daniel Tosh and think "Is that Doby Gillis?". When Ed O'Neil was working I used to ask if that was Sid Caesar. Just another rehash of a rehash back to the resorts in the Catskills, and on to... Plato.

Just fodder for the idle mind.

Bernie

• Like 1

So if I understand this correct, there are people on this forum. That if they were at a garage sale or something, and there was a 30's coupe for sale. Asking price $500.00 bucks. You would say "I am not going to buy that and resell it" really? I see nothing wrong with finding a old car, cleaning it up, try and get it running and bringing it to the market. How else would interested people looking for a classic car find one, if it was not for other people bring them out in the open. A lot of great project cars have come to the open market because someone made a couple of bucks. I see nothing wrong with it.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

The comment of "It's about money." wraps up the whole thing. But made me laugh. I found this picture a couple of days ago:

carshow$.jpg

This guy's show has to be one of the absolute worst car show on television. 

I would watch with more interest, the whole car show flipper thing if they would spell out, hourly wage, time invested, fuel and transportation, purchase price, taxes/titles/fees, clean up costs/time invested, parts, listing fees, shipping fees, entry fees, sellers/auction fees, lodging/food/beer costs. Now what do you have for profit? We have all bought and sold cars. We all know what costs and time is involved. 

1 hour ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

I would watch with more interest, the whole car show flipper thing if they would spell out, hourly wage, time invested, fuel and transportation, purchase price, taxes/titles/fees, clean up costs/time invested, parts, listing fees, shipping fees, entry fees, sellers/auction fees, lodging/food/beer costs. Now what do you have for profit? We have all bought and sold cars. We all know what costs and time is involved. 

Ed China works for free on "Wheeler Dealers", his skills are worthless I guess. Bob

Wheeler-Dealers has started including labor hours. OTOH they are not very realistic. But then they have little interest in originality (did not believe that MG dash or the 140hp 4-carb in the 63 Monze turbo).

Agree have met Wayne down at Autogeeks and feel he is a nice guy having fun. Also feel I'd like Dan Short.

Am amazed no-one has mentioned the Velocity Channel formula: 5 minutes of content, 10 minutes repeating the 5 minutes of content, 3 minutes of rehash/reveal/sale at the end, and repeat the same commercials at least four times.

Change for 2016: remove one minute of content and two of repeat. Insert 1 minute of something completely different  and add more commercial repeats.  

Personally never watch live, have a DVR with a 4x fast forward.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Funny how nobody mentioned the show shot up in Canada at The Guild, Many of there cars could show up at an AACA meet, they have been on the lawn at Pebble Beach. Bob

I think that they built this car? very nice work, I looked the car over pretty good. Stunning car, the color choice was spot on. Do not know anything about the shop, did see it on TV. Interesting trip that was down there to FL. My favorites at the show, were the Packard Boat Tail (told the owner at the end of the show I thought his car was one of the best there), Duesenburg and the Horch.

Amelia_Island_249.jpg

Amelia_Island_277.jpg

Amelia_Island_280.jpg

Amelia_Island_253.jpg

Amelia_Island_231.jpg

Amelia_Island_247.jpg

One shop putting out high quality cars with out the scripted antics makes me remember Carl Sagan talking about the odds of life on other planets.

What I REALLY would like to see is a media exploitation of a Devi's Rejects type garage that morphs into the last of the production crew imitating the style of The Blair Witch Story.

Starring Danny Trejo and Paul Reubens.

That reminds me, I have to get down to the junkyard I have hung around all my life before the week is over.

Bernie

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

The Horch at the bottom is real.  At least I think it is.  The Duesenberg is real.  The Bugatti is not.  

The Bugatti is a made up body estimated from pictures. Jim Howell was the led hand I believe a phenomenal car guy. After that he worked on several cars for the Longfield family for a few years Lozier, Bugatti, Stutz Bearcat,  Thomas Flier to name a few.  No longer working on old cars I believe due to health issues and now a photography interest. I think the real prize winning cars coming from Canada were from the Longfield family before they retired the large shop and now only doing their own cars. Great people great cars active in HCCA tours besides showing their cars around the continent. No one that I know mentions the Guild up here either Bob. Now a day if I have something done I go to Fawcett Motor Carriage and have never heard an issue with them yet.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

18 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

carshow$.jpg

Big deal, 800 bucks, a couple of skull rings, and a Sunday funnies on his skin?

The stories and the plots go back to Plato's days. They are the standards any reader is very familiar with. If these guys lived in medieval Europe they would have told the same stories, but lived under bridges. Grimm's Garage, now there's one. I think I saw a little evidence of that while flipping through the channels.

I hear the VC pays about $50,000 per episode. I was surprised it was that low. That $800 is probably two weeks pay for a lot of the crew.

As a product of the '50's and '60's I didn't grow up with hero's and didn't have to live vicariously through a fiction character. The potential hero got shot and the kids were shoved off to war. I guess 50 year old guys with gray pony tails, skulls and iron crosses bring a different thought to me. Sometimes in a restaurant my Wife will accuse me of staring at a person. I just laugh and roll my eyes. I couldn't tell they were just being their self and trying to fit in. It is an uphill battle for media to please me. I watch Daniel Tosh and think "Is that Doby Gillis?". When Ed O'Neil was working I used to ask if that was Sid Caesar. Just another rehash of a rehash back to the resorts in the Catskills, and on to... Plato.

Just fodder for the idle mind.

Bernie

The rubber bands around the 100s in this photo would indicate that he is holding more like 80K than 800 dollars.

Isn't this the guy that is selling Dodges these days?

2 minutes ago, JACK M said:

The rubber bands around the 100s in this photo would indicate that he is holding more like 80K than 800 dollars.

Isn't this the guy that is selling Dodges these days?

$10,000 in $100 bills is 100 bills.  Almost an inch thick.  I think those stacks, which look thin to me, would be much thicker if they were $10,000 each. 

Could be, but those are pretty big rubber bands for only ten bills ($8000) And not necessary for single bills.

Lets decide that they are 2500 dollar stacks. $20,000 seems reasonable for that guy to be showing off.

We have to remember that this is reality TV, so it has to be real.

Second look, maybe $8,000. Never had very high expectations for those in your face counter culture types. You know "my personality is the total of my accessories".

One guy, at a Ren festival said I was a cop. He thought he could tell by my shoes.

KMRB1.jpg

Velocity Channel isn't perfect but it's better than 99% of TV offerings. 

I don't have cable or satellite TV. I do have an Apple TV which works as a streaming device via my internet connection. It lets me pick and choose what I want to watch as if every show was pay-per-view. I can buy one episode or even an entire season for a fraction of what it would cost to have premium cable or satellite TV in order to get Velocity Channel. It is easy to pick what I want to see and skip the terrible shows and fake drama and so on. 

As for all of the contempt  for Chasing Classic Cars...well, I like the show. Wayne has a neat facility, neat/good employees, the funds to support his business (read as: buy almost whatever he wants), and he has a TV show about all of it to boot. It's a business, he's a businessman, and the show is about his business. I think I'd enjoy being in his shoes, quite frankly. Seems pretty neat. 

I'm less enthusiastic about other shows, but do like watching Restoration Garage (the Guild show). I skip virtually everything else. 

54 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Second look, maybe $8,000. Never had very high expectations for those in your face counter culture types. You know "my personality is the total of my accessories".

One guy, at a Ren festival said I was a cop. He thought he could tell by my shoes.

KMRB1.jpg

Like I told Victorialynn2 on the shoe box. It is the shoes that make the outfit. Looking pretty fly Bmac. Do not see much growth on the pony tail.

17 hours ago, padgett said:

Am amazed no-one has mentioned the Velocity Channel formula: 5 minutes of content, 10 minutes repeating the 5 minutes of content, 3 minutes of rehash/reveal/sale at the end, and repeat the same commercials at least four times.

ABSOLUTELY! It's painful to watch the same, um, crappy commercials over and over again. I can usually stomach the rehash, but the commercials are awful. Apparently they can't sell any more time slots unless they're for erectile dysfunction or their own shows.

• Like 1

The Bugatti that was built/restored at the Guild was never claimed to be the original car, they  said that all along it was a clone, I liked that. That Horch was at Pebble Beach and went home with NOTHING, that was a shock to me, but then again 2016 was my first year there. One Bucket List item that should be on everyone's list. Bob

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

The Bugatti that was built/restored at the Guild was never claimed to be the original car, they  said that all along it was a clone, I liked that. That Horch was at Pebble Beach and went home with NOTHING, that was a shock to me, but then again 2016 was my first year there. One Buck List item that should be on everyone's list. Bob

This handsome car dude came up to me and introduced himself and it was Bob!

You only get one best of show and there are a lot variables I would assume.  Sometimes you pick a "bad" year to bring something as over the top as that Horch.  Also, was that not long after Judge Cassini's Horch won?  Otherwise I would think it would be in the winner's circle (at least one of the final three) many years.

• Like 1

Must have been the jacket & tie. That "Proper Attire" deal sure wasn't enforced, another myth destroyed, but how would you turn away anyone with $375.00 cash in hand. I could get hooked on Pebble Beach, it was a fun week. Sad to see the Stutz replaced with the blue Mustang, hope there was a large bag of cash that went with the swap. Merry Christmas! Bob

Well DVR is hard at the new episode of "Street Outlaws" if for little else than the Jim Butler Pontiac that seems to hand it to many crates. Except it is not on Velocity, it is on Discovery which has new episodes first.

I enjoy many of the shows (so long as "bling", "chromed seats" or 22" wheels are not mentioned). But feel a lack since Top Gear and Fifth Gear seem to have gone away (and $8.99/mo for Amazon video is not in the cards right now).

Do miss the days when an autocross or rally was nearby every weekend. Shining & detailing for a static show is just not something I enjoy. Oh well, not this millennia.

4 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

The Bugatti that was built/restored at the Guild was never claimed to be the original car, they  said that all along it was a clone, I liked that. That Horch was at Pebble Beach and went home with NOTHING, that was a shock to me, but then again 2016 was my first year there. One Bucket List item that should be on everyone's list. Bob

It would be pretty tough to say it was original when they showed the build on TV. Remember it is a TV show that you are watching I have seen some of the cars they have done there that were not on TV.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

All of those "high profile" shows can get others (outside of the hobby) to watch them and be "informed" about the hobby . . . they perceive.  It's entertainment and that's all that matters to many.

The first car cable shows I liked and still watch, sometimes, are on  weekend mornings and then repeated at odd times later on.  Those ARE some good shows, usually.  Informative in builds and such, too.  But I don't always like to see nice, original cars cut up or modified for modification's sake.  Barry Meguiar's "Car Crazy", then "Dream Car Garage", and the other ones in that general group were solid, informative, and enjoyable shows worth watching.  PowerBlockTV shows were also good.   

Overhauling and such were popular but also ruined some nice cars in the process.  It was more about "the sponsors" supplying parts than anything else, to me.  Plus the "alleged theft" and "fake cop" issues bothered me, although the guy doing those things was a lawyer.  And then Chip Foose's "contributions" which were there to glorify him and possibly give somebody the thrill of owning a Foose-designed car.  YUK!

Fast N Loud (and spin-offs) are some decent shows.  They at least show things happening and not happening.  Real reality, although there has to be some sort of script somewhere.

Problem became "I can do that with an iPhone or a HandyCam", so the genre was "flooded".  Using the same formula mentioned above.  Seen one, seen them all!

An related "problem" is that Velocity is listed as a "HD" channel which requires an upgrade from the basic programming level.  I liked the earlier Speed Channel, then Spike, and not especially what they morphed into in later years.  The older shows have been replaced by "reality shows" that just get old to watch!

I'll pick and choose what I watch via the websites for Hot Rod Network and such.  Just a little more bandwidth use for not much more money.  I'll watch the Decades Channel for the 1960s-70s era re-runs of major shows.  With some great shots of cars of those times, too!  In one episode of "The Beverly Hillbillies", Miss Jane and Drysdale drove into the Clampitt estate in a '62 Plymouth Fury convertible, but arrived at the door in a '64 Polara 500 convertible.  The magic of television!  Or Peter Gunn and his '59 Fury convertible (forgot about that one!).  Or how colorful the sets were when color tv was becoming more affordable!

NTX5467

Guest Skyking
11 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

I'll pick and choose what I watch via the websites for Hot Rod Network and such.  Just a little more bandwidth use for not much more money.  I'll watch the Decades Channel for the 1960s-70s era re-runs of major shows.  With some great shots of cars of those times, too!  In one episode of "The Beverly Hillbillies", Miss Jane and Drysdale drove into the Clampitt estate in a '62 Plymouth Fury convertible, but arrived at the door in a '64 Polara 500 convertible.  The magic of television!  Or Peter Gunn and his '59 Fury convertible (forgot about that one!).  Or how colorful the sets were when color tv was becoming more affordable!

NTX5467

Speaking of the Beverly Hillbillies,  my son recently painted the '66 Imperial that Mr. Drysdale drove on that show.  He said it was the most rust free car he's ever done. A collector here in RI owns it.

There is one show that I remember and have never been able to find. The show was "Bringing Up Buddy" and his two Aunts had a '39 or '40 Buick 4 door convertible that needed a tune up. They took it to a shop, maybe Von Dutch or Grabowski played the shop owner.

After asking for "the works" the show ended with the flames buffed off, but the speed parts still on the car. Anyone seen it online?

Bernie