Velocity channel

plymouthcranbrook

On 12/21/2016 at 11:16 AM, 60FlatTop said:

There is one show that I remember and have never been able to find. The show was "Bringing Up Buddy"... Anyone seen it online?

I like some old television shows, and I saw 

the opening theme to it on You Tube.

I had never heard of that show before, and 

to my knowledge the opening is all you'll find on You Tube.

However, there is a Paley Center that preserves historical

television programs, Bernie, and maybe by contacting them

you might be able to see something more.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The Buddy stuff is easy enough to find. All the context about the Buick going to the speed shop is missing. That was the good part. And I would bet the car is still around.

Iris and Violet used to go through quite a procedure getting that car out.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

The Buddy stuff is easy enough to find. All the context about the Buick going to the speed shop is missing. That was the good part....

Are you saying you have seen some episodes,

but that the particular scenes you like have been cut out?

If so, where have you seen episodes of this old show?  

I wouldn't mind checking out that old program.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I remember the show very well. I would like to see scenes from the particular show where  his Aunts took their '39 or '40 Buick 4 door convertible into a shop for a tune up. Buddy had told them it needed the works. So they took it to a nice young man who ran a speed shop. They told him the "works" and their Nephew said to do it. It came back with multiple carbs, loud exhaust, and flames. Memory keeps telling me it was Von Dutch who played the shop owner.

Huh, the communication didn't get across. Buddy got the flames buffed off, but the mods remained. I would like to see only that episode or information about the car. It seems as elusive as the copy of Tobacco Road I found back in the VHS days.

Someone in the Buick Club must still own that car.

Bernie

There it is "Repair of Robespierre ", everyone connected with the production is dead. Robespierre was the name Iris and Violet had given to their Buick convertible.  Each time they drove it there was an elaborate pilot/copilot scene between the Aunts.

1961 was my first year of High School so I had a pretty good level of awareness and retention at the time. In September of 1959 I had bought my first issue of Rod & Custom, the small format with the yellow coupes on the cover. My Grandmother, who was the matriarch of the O'Brien side of the family drove a black 1954 Roadmaster at the time and all the sons-in-aw strove to own a Buick to gain her favor. It is easy to see the two old maids left an impression.

And I owned my first 1939 Buick right around that time. I probably should have hunted that car down in the 1970's and bought it, but I had two more during those years and I missed buying two convertible coupes within ten miles of me, as well.

Maybe I can track down a little more now.

Thanks, Bernie

Guest SaddleRider

I don't think you guys, in your making fun of these shows, are being either fair or realistic.

Looks to me like an excellent example of what we could call a "generation / culture" gap.

How many of the younger people presently involved in the old car hobby actually like old cars ?   We've had some 30+ years now of incredible technical improvements,  what with computer-controlled functions,  ever more reliable & endurable systems.    People like that!   Heck I  like that !   

So let's be realistic - these shows reflect what many  people these days want and like  (and are willing to pay for!) 

They like the "look" of older cars,  but they sure as heck don't want one !    What they want is a modern car,  over which they mount the sheet metal of an old car to get that  "old car look". 

Just look at the car auctions televised today.  See what sells!  How many people these days who call themselves "car hobbyists" really want to be bothered with pre-1980's technology,  even if in  "mint" /  brand-new condition ?

(dammit...my  bone stock '53 Caddy suddenly started to idle rough.  Anyone know where to look, to hook up my OBD-II diagnostic equipment..?   I mean - if I cant hook up my 0DB-II,   what then ? )

I do not think anyone is making fun of the shows, it is the format and concept of them that people are poking fun at. There are some very skilled and talented people in this hobby/industry on TV. But more time is spent on other stuff, on some of the shows. I think a lot of young people like the older cars, but just like back in the day, they personalize the car/truck to suit their tastes. That is why the custom/hot rod scene is so big. And the choices that people have now really opens up the door. My guess is that if guys/gals back in the day had access to a 480 HP LS3, you would have seen them on the salt flats. Nothing has changed, people just have more options to personalize their car/truck. New cars lack style in the design of the body from the stand point that aerodynamics has painted them in a corner. The beautiful sweeping lines of 1930's cars, built on a modern platform makes every one smile.:D  And I would not rule out people's love for a restored car. I think that there is a great love for a car that has been restored right, they just have a great feel when you are driving them. The big problem is a lot of old cars that are on the market have a ton of problems due to poor work, and throw in the mix people getting screwed by less then stellar shops, cost of original parts. And you will see more people running away from the old stuff, and replacing it with new components. Your 53 Caddy restored correct, is a very nice driving car.  

5 hours ago, SaddleRider said:

I don't think you guys, in your making fun of these shows, are being either fair or realistic.

Looks to me like an excellent example of what we could call a "generation / culture" gap.

How many of the younger people presently involved in the old car hobby actually like old cars ?   We've had some 30+ years now of incredible technical improvements,  what with computer-controlled functions,  ever more reliable & endurable systems.    People like that!   Heck I  like that !   

So let's be realistic - these shows reflect what many  people these days want and like  (and are willing to pay for!) 

They like the "look" of older cars,  but they sure as heck don't want one !    What they want is a modern car,  over which they mount the sheet metal of an old car to get that  "old car look". 

Just look at the car auctions televised today.  See what sells!  How many people these days who call themselves "car hobbyists" really want to be bothered with pre-1980's technology,  even if in  "mint" /  brand-new condition ?

(dammit...my  bone stock '53 Caddy suddenly started to idle rough.  Anyone know where to look, to hook up my OBD-II diagnostic equipment..?   I mean - if I cant hook up my 0DB-II,   what then ? )

Lumping all 'younger' people in one category doesn't really help the situation either. I have a new and old car because as much fun as it would be I don't think driving a 95 year old car to work is particularly practical 

Guest SaddleRider
4 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

The beautiful sweeping lines of 1930's cars, built on a modern platform makes every one smile.:D ...

EVERYONE  ?    You sure about that ?

Guest SaddleRider
4 minutes ago, hidden_hunter said:

I don't think driving a 95 year old car to work is particularly practical ..

Couldn't agree more !    Which explains why some folks today pay big money to have shops cut out and throw away the 95 year old car's insides - saving only the exterior to mount on current-era components. 

Of course, as I noted, I recognize there is a market for that.

And as another poster noted - nothing new here - some of us remember that even 50 years and more ago, people were chopping up old Fords, welding braces on the chassis to handle more power,  and stuffing more driveable engines, transmissions, brakes, etc. into them.

Looks like a number of us are in agreement - these tv shows are little more than commercials for the custom/hot-rod shops,  designed to encourage an interest in what they do.   Since so many of us in here are auto historians, of course we find this a bit disappointing.

3 minutes ago, SaddleRider said:

Couldn't agree more !    Which explains why some folks today pay big money to have shops cut out and throw away the 95 year old car's insides - saving only the exterior to mount on current-era components. 

Of course, as I noted, I recognize there is a market for that.

And as another poster noted - nothing new here - some of us remember that even 50 years and more ago, people were chopping up old Fords, welding braces on the chassis to handle more power,  and stuffing more driveable engines, transmissions, brakes, etc. into them.

Looks like a number of us are in agreement - these tv shows are little more than commercials for the custom/hot-rod shops,  designed to encourage an interest in what they do.   Since so many of us in here are auto historians, of course we find this a bit disappointing.

Or or just have two cars rather than ruining an original car 

This goes back to what I said on a older post. If all of the street rods/hot rods/customs were never built, and were still in the barns and fields. Do you really think that they would have all been restored by now? Every part of the industry helps drive the other. There would not be some reproduction stuff made, if it was not for the demand on the street rod side. 

• 3 months later...
On 12/26/2016 at 6:08 PM, 60FlatTop said:

It seems as elusive as the copy of Tobacco Road I found back in the VHS days.

I just read the book Tobacco Road as I like to see how other guys think. Curious to know why you brought that movie/book up. Maybe how a 16 year old boy [Dude} sold his soul by marrying a 40 something year old widow so he can drive her brand new car? 

• 8 months later...
Guest Lukesky79

I saw a show on Velocity a while back that was cancelled. It involved a guy buying peoples cars and then giving them an option to buy it back once he restored the car. I can't figure out the name though, hopefully someone can remember the name, I've been trying to track the show down. Thank you.

Dropping back a few I remember growing up in Florida thinking of the TV wonderland where everyone had a convertible and never had to put the top up.

Also a misspent youth with SCG and R&T with tales of the Boston Beany Sprout, Cyclops, and the tractive effort of a Steam Locomotive. Learned to drive in the Bahamas so everything was rong in the States. Went through a lot of cars in my yout but the first American car was a 1967 Camaro -  327 V8/four speed/disk brakes/full gauges/ AC. Promptly added side pipes and a rear sway bar (yet another rest-of-the-story)

Been reading/pushing/bending/stretching the rules in various competition for over 60 years (local club was running Fuel Economy runs. Made everything fair by using ton-miles per gallon until I brought a '38 Mack dump truck) now so don't expect me to stop.

3 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

I have pretty much given up on Velocity.  Cannot stand most of the show and the few I like seem to disappear or are only on occasionally

I gave up on satellite TV put up a 70 Ft. free standing tower. I now get 50 sum channels and Netflix. Now spend more time in the shop than watching TV.

About the only TV show dealing with old cars that I might watch today is one showing the meeting, relationship, and parting of the ways between TV producers and the AACA.

I would be willing to do the casting on narrators from Forum members.

Bernie

• 3 weeks later...

My show idea:

I’d love to go around interviewing guys, asking about the history of their car(s), stories they have about owning them and generally having them show me what makes them special. 

Ok, maybe I just think that would be fun anyway, but if I got paid too, that would be awesome. ?

• Like 1

I took the link to the Search and Restore site.

I just looked at the list of episodes. Maybe a glimpse of their tools made me lose interest.

wrench-cheap.png.95a3c86beb51ed549f1f370f82344aff.png

What if a show is produced "just for entertainment". and the producers don't get it?

"My Uncle car get you tools wholesale."

Screen-Shot-2014-02-03-at-5.04.54-PM.png

As much whining as I have done about this topic I have to say that I have watched a few episodes of a show called EveryDay Driver where two  hosts just drive a few cars and give their opinions about the selected vehicles.  While not great, it seems to have promise. More so than most others on Velocity.  Of course this is the kiss of Doom for it because if I like it it will never succeed.

https://www.everydaydriver.com/tv-show

I have given a few a chance. I even tried watching a couple with the sound muted. That didn't work.

I was out in my garage working on various little things yesterday for about three hours. Looking back as a comparison between the setting and activity, I was there alone.

I did not have has-been rock music cranked up. It was silent and relaxing.

I do not talk to myself.

I do not shout or throw tools.

I am quite methodical and do not encounter dramatic surprises.

I do not wear shirts, jackets, or other clothing that identifies a personal link with any personalities, products, affiliations or wannabe aspirations.

I generally work with my left hand on my left side and my right on the right, not crossed.

Although I have a beard, I do not shape it to look like U. S. Grant, Salvador Dali, or any misfit in between.

I work focused and sequential.

I pay cash for things I buy and expect payment in the same manner. I do not whine, cry, or otherwise demean myself to extort an extra nickel on any exchange.

As bland as it sounds, I enjoyed the time and the list of differences could be longer.

I would NEVER watch a video of what I did and really have no interest in watching another do the same thing.

Right now I am imagining a reality show about a person meditating, just shaking my head thinking about the Hollywood formula applied to a show about that.

Bernie

• Haha 1