Hilton Head - Classic Packard Rolls into Pond

AJFord54

44 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

Now there's an inside joke only understood by true car people if I ever heard one. 

Not being a "true car people", I missed the inside joke.   "What's a Startix?"   Please share the humor.

Cheese,

Grog

If there is a bright side to this terrible accident, at least it wasn't salt water. Of course all the mechanicals will need to be addressed and the interior replaced but perhaps the body can get away with a good cleaning and not a total restoration. If it was salt water, yikes! A fellow in my area had his '63 Corvette submerged up to the top of the doors in a flood and believe it or not he was back on the road in 3 months.

It is a car, and only a car ( a nice car, but still only a car),.and a shame it happened, It could have been worse..... a lot worse! nobody got run over by the silent rolling 2+ tons going down hill. I hope that the insurance money is there and the car will be repaired, and like most of us I would think it is over insured. As Steve said nobody got hurt and that is the most important thing

As to how it happened, dose it really matter? I am sure if it was an oversight by the owner they will always regret that mistake, after all, everyone has an eraser on their pencil and none of us can say we never made a mistake. I feel sorry for the owner I know he (or she) must feel like crap.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, capngrog said:

Not being a "true car people", I missed the inside joke.   "What's a Startix?"   Please share the humor.

Cheese,

Grog

An electric automatic starting device.  Turn ignition key on, on most cars engage clutch (as a safety), device turns engine over to start, once started the electricity coming from the generator disengages the Startix.  If the car stalls (i.e. does not sense electricity from generator) the Statix will automatically attempt to start engine again.

It was not standard equipment on a 1938 Packard.

My Cord has it, it's neat to just turn the key and let the engine start, instead of pressing a starter foot switch or button.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Startix

Just a couple of things.  Glad most people recognize that accidents happen, people can cause damage (intentionally or not)  and thank goodness a 6,000# car did not roll over some child or person that was behind it.  Thankfully there is not an alligator story to go with this as well. My understanding is that the insurance company jumped to help and that the car was graciously delivered to the original restorer by Ralph's friends at RM. 

As to the use of a fire extinguisher as a chock.  Sometimes you need to make do with what you have.  Not sure anyone in that area knew they would be on an incline.  I do know this, at least two major concours, including the Elegance will be reviewing all the areas on the show field and assessing the need for having additional protection.  We are already in the planning stages to have some chocks built just in case we have some early cars that might need them in our sloped area of the field.

A truly sad time for a 13 year odyssey of restoration but it will be back one of these days with quite a story to tell! 

I can speak from experience that a rolling vehicle is next to impossible to stop by hand,  A runaway truck (tow truck actually, typical of the 70s) almost ran a friend and I down years ago.  We happened to be looking at an old Mustang in a lot and a tow truck had been parked at the crest of a grade that dropped maybe 2 feet over say 100 feet or so away, not real steep but enough to get up some steam.  Truck was left running, nuetral, no brake set from what we could tell.  Truck must have started rolling because one of us caught it out of the corner of the eye, we both tried to stop it, but soon realized best to jump out of the way.  Truck smashed into the Mustang, crunching the front fender in and likely doing a lot more damage.  (Garage owner/manager comes out eyeing us suspiciously, we explained what happened and left.  Today, he would be counting his blessing we did not get hurt or sue for a traumatic experience!)

John Utz, long time editor of the Flying Lady taught me how to spark start a car. He would pull the choke just a little before shutting a car off to load the cylinders a little, then advance the spark all the way. To start the car he would swing the spark lever to get one snap at the points. That kick would do one cylinder and rest rest joined in.

The Startix I have worked on sensed current flow from the generator. Just turn the key and they would start. Restarting on the stall was close to the equivalent of an automatic transmission. A car like that Packard doesn't need to be shifted even driving around town all day. Accidentally take a corner too slow and they restart with hardly a hiccup.

It may not have been a standard feature on that model Packard but they were available into the 1940's, even on boats.

My concern was the article mentioning a "helper" near the car. The potential for some short attention span help with keys in their hand is probably more of a problem that redesigning a wheel chock. It is good to train and screen the field help.

8 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

As to the use of a fire extinguisher as a chock.  Sometimes you need to make do with what you have.  Not sure anyone in that area knew they would be on an incline.  I do know this, at least two major concours, including the Elegance will be reviewing all the areas on the show field and assessing the need for having additional protection.  We are already in the planning stages to have some chocks built just in case we have some early cars that might need them in our sloped area of the field.

I don't agree at all. A simple wood block should be in the trunk of all cars that attend a car show (mine are all equipped) if not mandated. Anyone should know a smooth round object is not going to hold anything, especially in grass. The topography is moot as blocks of wood would secure it even on an incline. Making due in an emergency is one thing, but "making due" when securing a 7 figure car in an open area with countless people meandering about is quite another. That put lives in harms way. Its a truly sad event to be sure but it could have been prevented at zero cost. (maybe a few bucks if he wanted some really nice rare wood blocks, which I would say would be a nice addition)

The e brake is not enough as we all know that people can be stupid and get in cars and play, possibly releasing the ebrake or putting it into neutral. I've seen it myself. 

Not to say I have never made a mistake, but this had the potential of loss of life. I can see the insurance facing a $1m loss may be well within their rights to say that the car was improperly secured therefore the owner has XX% culpability. I'd be shocked if they don't assign some if not all culpability to the owner.

Also, consider the soil condition of the field. If the ground was soft the fire extinguisher may have simply sunk into the ground under the weight of the car. My sympathies go out to the owner. I've had enough accidents in my lifetime to feel his pain. Zeke

Nice car, too bad it happened.   Saw the car at Hershey and like a lot of others, really thought it was an amazing restoration.  I'm sure it will be back again and I'm looking forward to seeing it again.  Keep us posted on the details.

Terry

Guest j.Illeney

I saw the the car just silently roll back into the water- yep We were their set up just across from the car with antique Victorian era  bicycles, and yes he did have a fire extinguisher under one wheel as well as a good size log  under the other, and yes their was a report about the person reaching in moments before the car went over .  The insurance guy was right their on the spot ( you know -all the big companies have booths at these shows). We were all shaken up .....

• 7 years later...
On 11/8/2016 at 1:35 PM, Steve Moskowitz said:

There is more to this story.  I just spoke with the owner and although I do not have permission to say everything I can tell you that everyone in the class had the rear wheels chocked with their fire extinguishers due to being on an incline.  Also, the owner was not with his car when this happened but someone was seen to reach in it before the event occurred.  That is all I will say at the moment.  The owner reiterated his appreciation that no one was injured or that the divers did not encounter the alligators that were in the pond.  He actually made the crack about a new "submarine class"!  Ralph is an amazing car guy and is handling this so much better than most people would.  Total class act.  I wish I could say more because the rest of the story is a bit mind boggling.  After waiting for 13 years to finish this car it will now go through restoration again. 

It's now getting to be 8 years since the mishap.  How is the re-restoration coming along?

Craig

It is now mandatory to have tire chocks at the Hilton Head Concours. Learned about that last year before the Concours.

1 hour ago, philip roitman said:

It is now mandatory to have tire chocks at the Hilton Head Concours. Learned about that last year before the Concours.

Not a surprise and probably a good idea whenever you're parking on uneven ground. I recon the concours' insurance company probably paid for a significant portion of the re-restoration...

2 hours ago, philip roitman said:

It is now mandatory to have tire chocks at the Hilton Head Concours.

Too bad it takes an incident such as this to make organizers take action.

Here, someone has to get seriously injured or killed before they install traffic lights at a crosswalk.

Craig

• Like 1

On 11/8/2016 at 1:35 PM, Steve Moskowitz said:

There is more to this story.  I just spoke with the owner and although I do not have permission to say everything I can tell you that everyone in the class had the rear wheels chocked with their fire extinguishers due to being on an incline.  Also, the owner was not with his car when this happened but someone was seen to reach in it before the event occurred.  That is all I will say at the moment.  The owner reiterated his appreciation that no one was injured or that the divers did not encounter the alligators that were in the pond.  He actually made the crack about a new "submarine class"!  Ralph is an amazing car guy and is handling this so much better than most people would.  Total class act.  I wish I could say more because the rest of the story is a bit mind boggling.  After waiting for 13 years to finish this car it will now go through restoration again. 

Can we hear the rest of the story now?

• Thanks 1

Now you have scared me. I am going to take the wheels off my '38 Packard 12 so it doesn't roll into the lake.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, BlueDevil said:

Now you have scared me. I am going to take the wheels off my '38 Packard 12 so it doesn't roll into the lake.

Or from getting stolen.  

(Which would be worse?)

Craig