Hershey Car Corral Pictures

cutlasguy

Apparently a lot more cars there than when I went on Wed. Thanks for sharing.  I didn't see a photo of the car I most wanted to drive home, however, the 61 Olds bubbletop.  Saw it Wed morning, by Wed afternoon it was marked SOLD.  Might have been gone by Friday. Very cool looking car.

20161005_134010.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Thanks for the pictures. Are the pictures a good example of what was there? It looks to be a little light on early cars?

My totally unscientific evaluation on Wed was primarily 1950s and 60s.

3 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Can someone that understands the 120 market explain why this guy was having trouble selling this car.  I think it could be bought for about 45k.  Just a great honest car.

DSC06485_zpssb0pfdq4.jpg

Myself it is a read drab colour but I see many painted this way. But it would make a great tour car on any road speed.

I told my wife the next car will have to be a pre war Packard just so I can fill my truck at Hershey with parts.  I couldn't believe how many Packard parts were their.  Rechromed Bumpers and guards,  All sorts of grilles and lot of bits and pieces.  Many seemed to have pretty reasonable prices.   Cheaper than rechroming your own.  Especially if you were looking to put together a high quality driver but maybe not truly concourse car. 

I liked the unrestored 59 or 60 elcamino.  Lots of other 30's cars caught my eye. 

One reason he was having trouble selling is color, the other is, that while it's a great Packard product, it's a Junior series car.  What this means is that it's not accepted at any Classic Car Club of America events.

Now, I won't go in to any of the discussion of the CCCA organization itself, nor the events it puts on...but there's a HUGE difference in value between a Full Classic Packard, and a Junior series Packard.

A lot of people have bought a Packard, thinking they could then tour on Caravans and go to Grand Classics after joining the CCCA, and been disappointed.

I have VERY mixed feelings about the CCCA, which I won't go into here, but if you do your research, the Junior series cars were very nice, but just not upscale as a lot of Packard's were....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alsancle said:

Can someone that understands the 120 market explain why this guy was having trouble selling this car.  I think it could be bought for about 45k.  Just a great honest car.

There wasn't much money at Hershey this year. A few cars sold, but most everyone else was just kicking tires. Add in the fact that it is, as David says, "just" a 120 and the paint job that is both incorrect (fenders should be same color as body) and very dated, and it's no surprise why it was tough to sell. I like 120s a lot and think they're the best-driving Packards of all, but the price would have to be much lower for me to consider owning one that hard to look at. I certainly wouldn't buy it to flip and if I bought it to keep for myself, I'd need to leave room to put $15,000 worth of fresh paint, and possibly a new interior in it.

Color is everything in the market today. Resale red is a real thing. Oddball or dated colors absolutely kill a car's value.

One of the reasons that Hudson dropped the Terraplane line, is that sales of the Terraplane past Hudson sales numbers. So you got all of the Hudson styling and engineering in a lower priced car. A junior Packard is the same thing. If people chose to turn away from another car on a tour, another car renting a hotel, another car raising money for what ever, another car pulling in more people to the tour, another car drawing attention to the Packard name. Then it is their loss. 

No loss. The Packard 120 has fantastic styling and they bring very good money. I guess 80-90k for a perfect one makes more sense then this car. I was just wondering if maybe there was a difference in years.  Seemed like an ok deal in a sea of crap.

As far as I know every caravan seems to sell out so no need to water things down any more than they already have.

Venting.....CCCA views of the Packard Juniors is the reason they will never see my dues.  Same thing for my 1938 Lincoln Zephyr.  Much rather let the 'common people' see what great cars America was producing back in the day rather than someone telling me I've got the wrong type of spark plugs installed.  

Let me add, as Matt stated, the 120 was a great car.  I've driven a well restored 120 convertible coupe,  and what a pleasure...lots of power, nimble and responsive.

The CCCA had a great original goal, to recognize the higher quality cars of a certain period. Worried about membership dwindling, the later leaders did, as mention, dilute the meaning by letting in other cars that are debatable.   It's hard to say it's exclusive, when research has shown that there were over a million cars produced that would now be considered what the club calls Full Classics.  Had it not been for WWII scrap drives, we'd be tripping over senior Packards....

I won't go into the membership of the club, but don't think it's fair to call all such members snobs, any more than it would be to put a generalization on the personality of a Model T club or a Chevrolet club, just people with different interests.....

• Like 3

10 hours ago, padgett said:

Anyone know what the 57 or 8 Caddy Brogham (page 4) was asking ? Did it have a cracked vent window ?

Have always had a soft spot for 3/4 size replica dual quad Caddies.

I think they were asking 115,000 for the Caddy.   But I was in a hurry and didn't get a close look,  just a passing glance at the price scrolled on the windshield.  Seems about market for those. 

I didn't see any pre step down Hudsons from the 1940's.  There was a beautiful 33? Convertible in the Dragone?  I think it was tent for sale.  It might have even been a Terraplane.  I only took a quicky look at it as that tent is out of my price range. 

I do not look at any club as being above any one else. (or snobs) You are ether a stand up person, or you are not. There is nothing wrong with having a club that is make, model only. But do not be surprised if over time your member numbers decline. And little power struggles rise up for who is the most important and why. I have stayed out of clubs for the most part. When I was 17, I was threatened to be kicked off the national registry for a rare make and model of car. Because I was going to modify it. I did anyway, O how I have fallen from grace. I had a bunch of Jaguar people harp on me for what I am doing to the jag you see in my display picture. Some Jag guys liked it, and ran stories on the build in the jaguar magazine.  Clubs can be a lot of fun, and they can also get bad apples at the top, and use a club for personal benefit. Who ever receives ads for cars or parts for sale, is in a pretty unique spot. That is what is nice about this forum, you can post a ad, and there it is for every one.

Does anyone have the contact information for the 1936 packard convertible? I was in Hershey on Wednesday, and I saw the car but the owner was busy talking with other customers, and I had to fly out early Thursday. 

There is evidently some flaw in the software

that gives some new forum users 10 "likings"

when they start.  I've seen that several times,

yet they made only one or two postings and 

none of those postings were specifically "liked."

Otherwise, the total starts properly at zero.

I pointed it out to a moderator once or twice

but never heard back.

Re '57-'58 Cadillac Broughams. Having worked on several of these I can tell you that if there is one car that will make you drop your tools, swear you will never look at an old car again and go screaming into the night out of frustration it is the '57-'58 Caddy Brougham. Beautiful cars, nightmares to work on. I am convinced an evil twin of Lucas designed  the electricals on these cars as a joke on anyone who ever disparaged Lucas electrics.

19 minutes ago, bdc said:

What does 10+ stand for? I've been lurking around for years, signed 2 years ago but never posted. I enjoy reading posts that interest me. 

The forum software computes a "reputation number" based on several factors. Number of post likes, length of time registered, etc. I don't know the exact forumula but it also seems to do some strange math at times. Generally it increases with the number of your posts for which people click "like". It does not mean much but it might help you evaluate someone's reputation if they were attempting to sell something. 

4 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

The forum software computes a "reputation number" based on several factors. Number of post likes, length of time registered, etc. I don't know the exact forumula but it also seems to do some strange math at times. Generally it increases with the number of your posts for which people click "like". It does not mean much but it might help you evaluate someone's reputation if they were attempting to sell something. 

Does the computer software delete stuff? Or are there people doing that?

Cleaning up off topic posts, such as asking a new member how he has a paticular "reputation level", is done by human moderators. If you have questions about how the forum software works, you will find most questions have already been answered in the Forum Software Questions forum. A review of that forum or a search in that forum will reveal a lot of good information. There is no need to sidetrack an automotive discussion with such questions. Now, back to the original topic...

• Like 1

On 10/9/2016 at 8:36 AM, cutlasguy said:

Weather was great Friday. Sunny and warm all day! Wish I could have taken home a gallon jug of that ice cold cider! Picture link below. I took over 200 of them.

http://s916.photobucket.com/user/BOOWAH/library/Hershey Car Corral 2016?sort=2&page=1

I am glad to hear that the weather was great on Friday, you can not ask for anything more then sunny and warm. What do you think was in the cider? powder mix? or a personal recipe? Again, thank you for taking  the time to post the pictures.

I think it was Cocaine! I swear I was experiencing withdrawal on the way home! I should talk! My right heel was throbbing like a toothache and I couldn't even walk on it Thursday at home. "Not now" I wailed! "This is the last show of the season" Then I remembered the Oxycodone pills that the oral surgeon gave me last month when he took out my impacted wisdom tooth.I gave them a dry run and the pain seemed to ease, so I took them with me Friday! They got me through the day! Can you imagine? I didn't even take a single one for my extraction. My daughter whose a nurse says maybe Plantar Fasciatius. Next month's visit to the Podiatrist will tell the tale. I've got 6 months until Spring Carlisle to recuperate!

• Like 1

I have never had any cider with that stuff in it. I find that a hot cider is better then iced cider. It really warms the belly. Sorry to hear about your right heel, that is a bummer. How long did it take your daughter to get a degree in nursing? I have heard that can take awhile? Have you seen the problems that this country is having with pain pills?

Edited by Xander Wildeisen (see edit history)

I was joking about the Cocaine! The Cider was so good I couldn't stop drinking it.Every time I passed a stand, I had to have another! Thanks AACA!   Don't worry about me becoming addicted. My pain threshold is extremely high. If I didn't have to walk Friday, I wouldn't have taken anything. I didn't want to miss my pictures. Haven't taken them since!

I also spoke for few minutes with the owner (or his son), as it was a family that had brought the car by trailer from Utah.  I looked at my pictures of the car to see if there was any contact info, unfortunately nothing but a homemade sign.  IMO if I'm bringing a car to sell, I'd have very prominent signage with all my contact info as well as handouts available..that is taught in the pre-marketing 101 class.

I did like the car, but the colours did not really appeal to me, maybe if it had been dark green or maroon, even with the Canadian dollar exchange so low, plus our 13% tax to register the ownership it would have been tough to walk away. 

I do have an empty spot in my garage but I left home with a promise to my wife not to fill it, she dodged another Hershey car corral bullet.

Bob