Looking for a new insurance option...

DV8

I'm looking for recommendations for a new insurance company. My '65 is my daily driver in NV. I only carry the minimum insurance required by law. I don't have classic vehicle plates so it doesn't need to be smogged. Most of the providers I've requested a quote from say that they can't insure  a classic car as a daily driver. Any suggestions?

Guest flyinlow1

State farm will insure it, if you have another newer car that you also drive you can get great prices through Hagerty  classic car insurance. They don't insure daily drivers but there is no mileage limit.

Nevada minimum insurance is way too low to offer any real protection if you get in an accident. It will make it legal to drive but really doesn't help much. 

I've been with Grundy, Heacock and now Hagerty. All are fine carriers, but I must admit Hagerty is better. Aside from the mileage factor they simply offer broader practical features like 24 hour towing, a great valuation tool and other nice adds like newsletters, email offers etc. They are a very well run company with competitive pricing and heart in the hobby. Regardless of who you go with, you are going to be in a bind regarding daily driver use. Here's the bind: Any carrier will cover you as a daily driver, but the valuation of the car will be so low your coverage will be a joke. If you go to a specialty carrier, they will value your car appropriately, but you can violate your coverage if you have an accident on a freeway during rush hour traffic. It's all about the risk tables. A highly restored, highly valued car driven on the weekends is a far lower insurance risk than a nicely restored old car that gets driven on major highways during rush hour. Lots of guys (me included) drive their collector cars occasionally during the week, to work occasionally etc, but they are playing with fire. If you read the policies, it's pretty clear what you can and can't do. PRL

If you're driving it as a daily driver, you're probably going to have to insure it as a regular car, not a collector car. Many states are cracking down on guys using old vehicles and slapping historical/collector plates on them as a tax dodge (like the contractor who buys a 1978 Chevy pickup as his work truck and puts historical plates on it). Collector car insurance companies are doing the same. They will insure collector cars, which, in their eyes, your 1965 Riviera is not. It's a daily driver, a commuter car, and as such, doesn't qualify for the protection of a collector car policy. The reason collector car policies are so reasonably priced is because they know these cars get driven very seldom, they're typically driven only on nice days, and as a hobby vehicle, to events that are old-car related. Those are relatively low-risk activities. They also require you to have a different car that you drive daily, thereby proving that you aren't driving your collector car in high(er)-risk situations.

You're proposing to drive to work every day, rain or shine, in rush-hour traffic, park in parking lots with regular cars, and slice and dice with drivers who may not care one whit that your car is 50 years old. Your risk factors have just gone up exponentially. You aren't going to qualify for collector car insurance.

Call your mainline insurance company like State Farm and tell them what you're doing. See if they'll insure an old car as a daily driver. They should, but it's going to cost more, and the valuation on your car might be ridiculously low. Plus no ABS discount, no airbag discount, etc. There is no free ride in the insurance industry and sadly, they're just not geared to their customers using a 50-year-old car every day. So few people do it that it's a non-starter for them. But you need to be clear with them what you're doing and don't dodge the issue or try to trick them into giving you a policy, because if--God forbid--you need your insurance, they're going to find a way out of paying. It never makes sense to lie to your insurance company because when you need them, they'll vanish because it wasn't part of the policy.

Good luck.

Just spoke to Hagerty and they won't insure it for the reason that's it's my daily driver. Tried to get a quote from Liberty Mutual (who I have my property insurance through) and they won't insure it because it's a classic vehicle.  I suspect the latter will be the case with all of the big name insurance companies although for some reason USAA gave me a policy when I first bought it I get the feeling that they didn't really pay attention to what they were doing.  I've been straight up with all of them as to what it is and what kind of mileage and use it gets.  My intention is to insure it as a regular car with regular plates which it is.  Not having much luck so far.

Even though you've learned that Hagerty won't insure it as a daily driver, anyone considering Hagerty should be aware that they won't insure a car that cannot be parked under a permanent roof of some kind.

• Like 1

Grundy seems to make the claim that they specialize in collector cars that are daily drivers and I was able to obtain a quote through them. I'm still interested to learn about anyone's direct experience with Grundy.

Some regular insurance companies will insure your vehicle for its appraised value and values are all over the map depending on the condition of your Riviera.  If you are using it as a daily driver then by all means have it appraised.  My collector insurance specifies that I cannot use my car as a daily driver and I think you will find that most of them are that way.

That's good to know.  Like I said I entered in all the information as accurately and honestly as I possibly could including yearly mileage, not having another vehicle, driving it to and from work plus daily errands etc. and it spit back a very desirable yearly premium for a $100,000 property and bodily damage liability policy and an agreed value of $30,000.  So, so far it's looking like Grundy is getting my business.

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Even though you've learned that Hagerty won't insure it as a daily driver, anyone considering Hagerty should be aware that they won't insure a car that cannot be parked under a permanent roof of some kind.

I learned that. I wanted to use them for my '65. I keep it at my house under a carport in the summer, and I figure I will keep it at my Dad's house in his extra garage during the winter, even though we don't get a lot of snow and ice here. Hagerty not only said a covered roof, but a completely closed in garage was the only way they would insure my car. I drive it too often, especially in the warm months, to leave it across town, and have to go get it every time I want to use it. So I just stuck with State Farm. 35 bucks a month to pay up to 30,000 in replacement versus Hagerty at HALF that price.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jframe said:

I learned that. I wanted to use them for my '65. I keep it at my house under a carport in the summer, and I figure I will keep it at my Dad's house in his extra garage during the winter, even though we don't get a lot of snow and ice here. Hagerty not only said a covered roof, but a completely closed in garage was the only way they would insure my car. I drive it too often, especially in the warm months, to leave it across town, and have to go get it every time I want to use it. So I just stuck with State Farm. 35 bucks a month to pay up to 30,000 in replacement versus Hagerty at HALF that price.

Hmmmm.  The last time I talked with a service rep at Hagerty's I was told that a pole barn was an okay structure.  Perhaps their definition of a pole barn is different than what I consider a pole barn based on my experiences when I was in high school and I used to work on a farm for the summer.

Ed

Guest onedesertdog

Anyone had any experience with J.C. Taylor Classic insurance.....pros or cons?

I think it's underwriter is Foremost Ins.

Buddy

The reason antique auto insurance is so inexpensive is because the cars they insure have little exposure to situations where they can be damaged or be liable for damage to others. If you are using the car as a daily driver it seems unlikely that any of the antique car insurance providers will want to cover it. And if you deceive them to get coverage and you have an issue then I think you will be effectively uncovered once they find out.

If you are using it as an everyday car then you should get everyday insurance.

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)

15 hours ago, jframe said:

to pay up to 30,000 in replacement

Up to being the key words here. This is not an agreed value policy. State Farm does not write those. If you have a loss, you are at the mercy of THEIR adjusters. Hagerty is an agreed value policy. In case of a total loss, you both agree up front what the car is worth, it is insured for that amount , and that is what they pay. Big difference should you have a claim.

Pay big attention to what Steelman is saying. "Up to" is the issue. $35 per month may seem like the deal of a century until your car gets in an accident that costs $1000 to repair but they total it because it is valued as a 65 Buick worth only $800 according to their valuation tables. PRL

Not really, they have to give current market value of the car, and you can challenge their assessment by giving your own examples and so forth. I had a 96 Bronco totaled with farmers and they tried to give me like 4-5K until I showed them that similar vehicles with the condition and options went for $10K plus on eBay and so forth. I ended up getting $12.5K for my bronco. My assessments also changed at what point the car would be considered totaled. 

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)

Guest Kaber

I had to pay an additional $100 / Month when my Son was driving his Riv to High School. Thru Progressive.

I'm just saying be mindful about the real world usage, terms, limitations and valuations. It's bad enough to have something happen with your prized car, wrestling with your insurance carrier afterward just adds insult to injury. PRL

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RivNut said:

Hmmmm.  The last time I talked with a service rep at Hagerty's I was told that a pole barn was an okay structure.  Perhaps their definition of a pole barn is different than what I consider a pole barn based on my experiences when I was in high school and I used to work on a farm for the summer.

Ed

They told me right off the bat that it had to be a completely enclosed structure. Don't have a garage; we rent the house, so that was out. I keep it at Dad's place sometimes, but here in Alabama, the weather just doesn't get bad enough to justify it. Now if severe weather is forecast with hail, I carry it over there then.

On May 4, 2016 at 4:53 PM, DV8 said:

No kidding?! $35/mo at State Farm?!  That's insured as a daily driver, with no classic vehicle plates or an appraisal or anything?

I believe it.

My 1979 Caprice Classic (daily driver) is insured with State Farm & I'm paying just slightly more per month ... no classic plates (I wouldn't want those anyway due to driving limitations) & no official appraisal.

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)

"She became the envy of my dreams" __ Kenny Rogers __ 'Scarlet Fever'

• Like 1

My collector cars are insured through Taylor. I have been a customer since 1974. I follow the rules of the policy and appreciate that I can have my old cars. Higher rates might limit my toys. I asked about insuring my '38 Allis-Chalmers and Taylor said no tractors with attachments to the front end. It has a bucket loader. I took the No answer.

When my kids started driving they got their own cars and insurance specifically not to jeopardize the Taylor insurance.

Getting an old car insured to drive as a collector car or a daily driver are quite different intents. Once I wanted to add a 1935 Nash to my regular policy. The company refused because "the car was too old". When I asked what the age limit was they couldn't answer. When I told them I was going to change all my cars to another company they figured maybe there wasn't all the highway carnage they assumed with 1935 cars and just accepted the policy. Sometimes it's a little hard to get the BB in the agent's gray mush to roll in a different direction.

And everyone knows the $30,000 new car is going to sit outside with that valuable project gets protected like a baby. A $30,000 '65 Riviera as a daily driver, parked in a car port? If the owner's judgement is on the checklist I'm putting a minus next to that one. That's a red flag

Bernie

• 4 years later...

Anything changed in the classic car insurance market since the last post 5 years ago? I’m looking to get insurance for my newly acquired 71. Looks like the most discussed options are Hagerty, Taylor, Grundy’s, Heacock, and possibly the regular insurance companies. Any differing thoughts 5 years later? Thanks!

My '65 has been insured by Foremost(through J.C.Taylor) since I bought it in '92. No problems, although I've been fortunate not to have to use it. As far as I know pole barns & carports are covered but not daily drivers, as you must have full coverage on another vehicle for that purpose.

I'd like to revisit what RivNut said about Hagerty from 5 years ago.

I haven't had my Riv that long, but from day one of getting it a few years ago, I have had Hagerty and they never mentioned needing it under a permanent roof.  They even asked what the parking situation was in terms of the layout of the house, but never stipulated the permanent roof clause.  Anyone know if that is a policy requirement that doesn't apply any longer.  Specifically for me, the Riv lives under a carport so it doesn't get rained on, and I am hesitant to open up a can of worms with them by asking about this requirement which might not be valid any more.

I just finished-up with our 1st claim on our best daily driver last month where the 5-year Replacement coverage expired 18 months prior. Did I know we'd be left with a "Goose-Egg Policy" after that!

I've been with them since 1980 and 10 days of continual haggling got me an extra $2K on a total loss -whoop-dee-doo!   I'm 'done' with them, a bad experience overall.

I too am looking for insurance (for everything) and have been shopping here in Canada. I can actually go with my regular long time driver insurance as I've had fire and theft with them on my 2 projects for 30+ years. It will be good for liability only. For collision if I choose to have it, appraisals won't be recognized of course and will be at their mercy on my Riv's value. Given my recent encounter - not. Besides, I told the Claims department I'm switching away from them after their lousy settlement.

Hagerty will probably be my choice in the coming months. Up here in Canada, they know we are low risk because there's no way I'm exposing my precious ride to 5 1/2 months on winter crud with drivers that become 'brave' come January.

Also, in the old days when there was only regular insurance, I'd have to phone them to cancel insurance at Thanks-Giving and re-instate sometime after Easter, motorcycles too. So like the other classic insurers, I no longer have to do that and is one of the reasons for low rates.

Hagerty's agreed upon Value is like replacement insurance on a financed new car under 5-years. Along with the usual liability, roadside, magazine and low rates for year 'round coverage. Haven't found anything better - - yet.

Hagerty freely invited other drivers to go on the policy. So, I listed one additional, my son. Then there was some back and forth phone tag with that. Why? They wanted to be sure my son was not using it as HIS daily driver. That's all.

One more thing, I listed $40K for my '63 Riv because it is in Canadian dollars. Well the Quote came close to what regular insurance would be. Thinking of dropping back down to $25K, about $17K USD.

I have used Hagerty for 7 years and found their service to be superb and prices reasonable . They have never questioned the three claims I have had - 2 minor , and 1 major . I also have the tow policy which is worth every penny IMO. 
KReed

ROA 14549

• Like 1

Hagerty for any Classic car - guaranteed value.

I'm in Canada and only get 6 months of summer, but the premium for 25K can't be beat, along with all the Hagerty perks !

Hassle free dealing for a few years now, with no claims, and hopefully none in the future ! 

My regular driver, and house are insured with another company ! 

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2021 at 12:12 PM, RIVNIK said:

My '65 has been insured by Foremost(through J.C.Taylor) since I bought it in '92. No problems, although I've been fortunate not to have to use it. As far as I know pole barns & carports are covered but not daily drivers, as you must have full coverage on another vehicle for that purpose.

I too have JC Taylor for my '91 Reatta.  Have never had a problem with them...no fuss no muss.  It's insured for $15K and sits in an igloo over the winter.  They do require that you have a daily driver.