Cost of whitewall tires?

Paul Dobbin

I know we've discussed the use of white wall tires and that some us of love them andothers don't share that emotion. This thread is not about choice, it's about cost.

Aside from the personal choice part of whitewalls for early cars, for many cars now

eligible for AACA membership under our 25 year rule, white walls were common.

Remember the days when whitewall tires and blackwalls were the same price? The

dealer would install them inside out if you preferred the “European Look”(Blackwall

tires where a choice)

Now if you own a 50's, 60's, 70's or 80's car, it's blackwalls only for $62 to $100

each. If you want to be more stylish and correct you must go to a specialty tire

dealer and pay $200 & up per tire, just to get white walls. Apparently they cost

about the same to make, so why don't we see them for sale at reasonable prices?

Three of our cars have radial whitewalls that are 5 years old or older and look likenew but are of the age that cord separation begins. Time to tire shop. Last year Ireplaced the whitewall tires on the 34 Ford Fordor at a cost of almost $1,000, now

our 36 Buick, 66 VW & 81 El Camino all need new radials, in whitewalls. I'm getting prices over $3300.00. That's NUTS!

I don't get it.

Are we being gouged?

I think so and I'm not happy about it and blackwalls are still not acceptable

because they all came with whitewalls when new.

Your thoughts?

• Like 1

I figure routine repairs and general maintenance averages about $600 per old car per year. Some years it is a little lighter, some years more.

Owning 4 old cars for ten years one should "budget" about $24,000 and that is close to the life span I get from tires.

Two import things can be done to improve the outlook. 1. Own less cars. 2. Don't use "remember when" in reference to anything money related.

If the sickness is so bad that you have come to the realization too many cars is just the right number; be sure a few are Buicks. They tend to cost less and need less repair in the long run.

Bernie

The cost of the 220-55VR390 Michelin TRX metric radials for my 1984 BWM 633 CSi are ridiculous, $429.00 each.

The other original size and style tire for this car was the Michelin XWX  205/70VR14 and they go for $440.00 each, but at least I could get other styles and brands in this size for cheaper.

I have a set of 5 rims in both sizes, but like the look of the TRX tires.

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

Unfortunately it is the price of being in the hobby ! I also budget at least $1500 each year of each of my cars. If you don't spend it as you go along it will catch up to you. Wayne

I just spent 1099.76 for 4 new white walls for my 34 Buick from Coker Tire. And another 100.00 to have them mounted and balanced by a local tire shop.  Well worth the money to me . Better ride and 

just knowing i have NEW tires makes me feel at ease about dry rot on the old ones.

• Like 1

Not only do they not make whitewalls, they don't make larger 15" tires anymore either. Anything past a 205-15 is likely to be very old stock or Chinese production. A large 14" tire? Fuhgeddaboudit!

Vila, I passed on a couple of very nice 80s Fords because they had those TRX 390MM wheels and tires. I just could not see being held hostage to one brand of tire.

I just spent 1099.76 for 4 new white walls for my 34 Buick from Coker Tire. And another 100.00 to have them mounted and balanced by a local tire shop.  Well worth the money to me . Better ride and 

just knowing i have NEW tires makes me feel at ease about dry rot on the old ones.

Would have been nearly $1800 if you had also replaced the Dual Sidemounts as well, like I did on mine...

But the new tires will give you comfort and safety

Amen!

Has any body tried the white wall "Flappers" ....Good or Bad ??..... What are your thoughts?

R.

Look good for a while then they start to sperate from the tires. Not worth the time or money no matter how cheap they are.

Guest Skyking

Look good for a while then they start to sperate from the tires. Not worth the time or money no matter how cheap they are.

Plus they discolor from the black bleeding through........

So you buy new safe replacement WW tires to feel good and be safe...  but then in five years they need to be replaced again because of cracking.

It seems thats the way it goes with these low production antique tires.

This does not make me feel good.

I agree that whitewalls are expensive, but considering what we have in our cars, and how much we enjoy them, we might just have to say "grin and bear it", spend the extra bucks, and just get out there and enjoy wearing them out. The other options may just aggravate an ulcer. 

A guy died and found himself at the Pearly Gates. St. Peter opened the big book, thought deeply, and then raised one eyebrow. "You died with high tread, dry rotted tires and money in the bank," he said with a scowl. "Do you have no sense of the meaning of success?"

Bernie

I'm really none too pleased that there's really only one game in town for antique tires. Radials? Not really a problem, but when I went looking for new 20-inch tires for my '29 Cadillac, I discovered the Coker makes them all, regardless of what brand is on the sidewall. I paid $465 per tire (times six--sidemounts, don't you know) plus $90 each for six innertubes, plus $45 each for flaps, plus $40 each to mount and balance, plus shipping, and wouldn't you know it, they turned yellow within weeks. Many headaches later, second set of tires, wheels beat up by a second dismount/mount process, three new inner tubes, and I have a different set of wide whites that turn yellow even faster than the first. I can scrub them and they'll stay white long enough for an afternoon show, but by the following weekend, they're yellow again.

So yes, I do think we're being screwed. Quality sucks and since there's no other game in town the lone manufacturer doesn't have much incentive to work out the problems.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

100_1234.jpg

Looks like buy the modernl tyres and add whitewall flappers, cheaper to replace than the whole, Ok then !!.... .Spelled Tire.

Dicky,

Over here in the states we call them "Portawalls" and they were the rage in the early '60's.

post-70733-143142382668_thumb.jpg

Paul,

I just priced a set of Lester 7.50-16's for my '40 LTD from Universal tire @ $238.00 each. They have a 5" whitewall. Coker's Firestone's have a 4 1/2" whitewall, and that ugly "piecrust" edge. The Lester's have a smooth edge.

Right now I'm running Martin Custom Tires, and according to the court documents I've found, they filed for bankruptcy in 1942. No I do not believe in time travel, so where did they come from ?

Mike in Colorado

Guest Skyking

Anyone buying radials from Coker ---------- BEWARE!!  Remove the tag inside the tire before placing the tubes in.  If you don't, the metal-like tab will puncher the tube.

I bought my first car when I was 12 and then there was this 38 year old woman when I was 15. If it only could have been whitewall tires all these years.

Seven cars, one wife, and never divorced; where do I send the check for the tires?

B

Guest Skyking

They turn brownish, especially the edges, from bleeding through.  If tubes are used, the edges along the bead start to bulge out.  If you like that look, fine.  I didn't,  so I spent the money and bought 3 sets of wide whites $$$.......

Re: Portawalls. Apparently they were an invention for bias ply tires only.

I tried them on our 66 VW with radials. First set turned brown

as they leached the black dye from the tire. On the Second set

I painted the back side with elastomeric paint and they stayed

white for a few years. However the constant flex of the tires

wore a ridge in the tires at the edge of the portawall. I had to r replace the tires with wide whites from Coker. I love then except

for the price.

Re: Whitewalls, White wall tires are like additional trim on vehicles. I happen to like flashy cars instead of what I see in old black and white

movies.

Re: White rubber tire: A few years ago I heard that nobody was making the beautiful

whote rubber tires for the early brass era cars. What a shame!

Re: Price and availability of whitewalls in the original post. I know several posts

have said "ït's part of the cost of the hobby". That I agree with

however I still think it's a rip off to charge 150% more for the

whitewall.

Re: Tires needed: Some said they are available, but I can't find them. I need some

165/75/15 for my VW or 175, 185 or 195 in whitewall.

I need 215/75/14 for my El Camino, or others that may fit in

whitewall. Anybody out them found them for under $100 each?