Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

34-mile shakedown cruise with this '69 Electra that I've been working on since February of this year. First time out on the highway since engine rebuild/replacement, new paint, new chrome, new vinyl top, new headliner, new brakes, etc. The tires have flat spots from sitting so long in one place; belongs to a BCA member in Oklahoma City, and I will be returning it to him next week, but until then, it is mine to enjoy!

Car was bought new in Oklahoma City, and has been in the same family since new.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

post-77451-0-73028000-1442020814_thumb.j

post-77451-0-72962400-1442020831_thumb.j

post-77451-0-12252700-1442020850_thumb.j

• Like 3

Spent the day at the Greenfield Village Old Car Festival.  Gave rides all day to family and friends through the village on the '15 truck. 

Had a great time and getting ready to do it all over again tomorrow.

Here is a picture of Joyce and I with our grandson Clay.

post-87831-0-23755700-1442107000_thumb.j

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

post-121302-0-81200400-1442170067_thumb. post-121302-0-88592100-1442170090_thumb. post-121302-0-11916200-1442170129_thumb. We got home at a quarter to 7 last evening. We stayed over night at the same motel in Bristol VA. We left there at 8:20 AM. So over 10 hours with stops. Probably 7 1/2 hours total actual on the road driving time.Total mileage since last Sunday morning when we left Chambersburg is 1,585 miles. I kept the speed between 55 and 60 mph on  routes 81 and 40 thru VA and TN. We would get on to routes 11 and 70 to cut the boredom of the interstates.  Except for the first 2 days when the temps were in the upper 90s, the water temp stayed at 160 degrees. Other than a few hard pull, uphill vapor locking episodes (when we had to use some ethanol gas) she ran great! 100% gas was very available once we were in VA and TN.
 We were the only ones on tour who had no problems! John Young from Louisiana trailered up a beautiful green 1938-41. Low mileage, pristine interior, flawless paint etc. On the first day of the tour his brakes locked up which caused the engine to overheat ( plugged return hole). This caused the same problem we encountered trying to go to Springfield. Sludge from the overheated engine plugged up the radiator. The first photo is of the on the road repair seminar with 38-41 stuck in the middle of the street. The tour leader Ralph Artall is trying to remove the master cylinder cap to clean out the return hole.  Ralph had the starter vacuum switch go out on his 1938-46 Coupe. Then one of the modern cars on tour with us a 2002 Park Avenue had a plastic fuel line split. The local Buick dealer quoted him $1,800 to repair and a five day wait for parts.  A local shop got him going again for less than $100 and now they are back home in Indiana.
This is the third "tour" we have been on. The second with the 37. We did have a great time. On the last night we had a banquet and all dressed in period 1930s costume. Right up my alley. But now Joan wants vintage jewelry.

Nice, Larry! Love that car, Pete!

Keith

Thanks but it is a truck. 

Spend all day Sunday on the second day of the Old Car Festival.  Had a great time and probably put on another 25 miles driving friends and family around Greenfield Village.

The weather was a perfect early fall day with the temperatures in the mid to high 60's and the crowds were good.

This show is the capstone event of the driving season in Michigan for the pre 1932 vehicles.

• Like 1

I joined Larry at Greenfield Village on Saturday, driving my Buick 68 miles each way.  Great event.  Lots of rides given also at GFV.

Then on Sunday, picked up friends and went on a 60 mile round trip cider mill and donut run.  Beautiful day.  Well over 200 miles for the weekend.

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Well, I had the '56 Roadmaster out tonight to a local cruise night, and it was packed with cars and spectators.

I will post some pictures later on, but one interesting thing happened on the way home. We stopped at Dairy Queen for small ice cream treat, and as we were finishing a woman and her daughter came up and asked us if that was my car. I said yes, and then they asked if she could take a picture of it, of course I said yes. The daughter would 16 or so, and was studing auto in school with intent of making that her career choice. Anyway, since they were fans of my car, I followed them out and let her sit in, and her Mom took her picture sitting behind the wheel. She was really hopping with excitment by now, then she asked to see the engine, and I started it as well. It was quite a memorable experience for her and her Mom. Its' neat to share the car with someone who realy likes it, and of course, helps to keep the interest amougst younger people.

Keith

• Like 5

• Like 2

Today I had the '41 Roadmaster out to Parkwood Estates, in Oshawa, as they wanted some WWII era cars for a documentary the CBC is doing about Camp X. Camp X was like a spy school, used by Canadian, British and even some US personel, to learn the "dirty tricks" associated with spying during the war.

I took a couple of pictures of my car in front of the main entrance.

Keith

post-119367-0-16348600-1442540983_thumb.

post-119367-0-87568300-1442540996_thumb.

post-119367-0-27883200-1442541006_thumb.

• Like 3

We are now home from the McLaughlin Buick Club's Fall Tour. We drove almost 600 trouble free miles, over about a day half.

One of the folks whose collection we visited daughter shot and posted this cute neat video of us leaving their place. I hope the link works, I've never done an insert before!

Keith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvBL-Cw66YY

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 1

There were 19 altogether, I believe, she may of missed a few. The oldest was the '37 McLaughlin Buick Limited Limo, an ex CP Rail car. It was bought new by the Canadian Pacific Railway, and the road wheels were removed, axles modified, and flanged railway wheels put on, so it could "ride the rails". Being a top of the line car it was used by execs of the railway to travel in. The car was driven to the meet, about 6+ hour drive from where he lives.

Keith

• Like 1

It was the first day of the week, but John D. should like this. Scot Heise showed up about noon driving the 1973 Centurion convert he bought in 1975. We went out in the garage and looked at the slow progress on my '64 Riviera that I bought in 1978 and drove to my first BCA meeting at the Falcons club in Batavia.

Then I fired up the Packard. It was the first time he had seen it.

We got out my Park Ave convert and Scot got the be the first BCA member to get a ride in it, top down, of course and we drove over to his home town, Holley, NY, about 5 miles away for lunch. It took a couple hours to finish lunch at Sam's and I can assure you we talked about nothing but cars. John D. was mentioned when we talked about the old Western New York BCA Chapter.

Coming back I had a profound realization. I like temperatures above my age for convertible driving. And I like temperatures above the reading on the speedometer.

Oh, Scot thought the '86 Park Ave was a pretty nice car.

Bernie

• Like 1

It was the first day of the week, but John D. should like this. Scot Heise showed up about noon driving the 1973 Centurion convert he bought in 1975...

... John D. was mentioned when we talked about the old Western New York BCA Chapter.

Oh, Scot thought the '86 Park Ave was a pretty nice car.

Bernie

Interesting!!!  It was just about that time that my back gave out!!!  :huh:

Thanks for the post though Bernie!  Would like to meet up with Scott again!  Always a gentleman and positive guy.  Thanks to the both of you for thinking of me.  Now if my back would just stop hurting..... ;)

Thanks Keith. Glad to see you recovered from that ordeal. I am grateful this is no where near as bad. Pretty much gone right now. Just trying to keep from pushing it backwards today. I must have just picked something up the wrong way.

Thanks, Ben.

Here's a few pictures from our weekend away in Leamington. This area is the Southern most place in Canada, with a latitude level with Northern California, and Rome Italy, which is something that most don't know. As a result many crops grow here that don't grow in more Northern areas of Ontario. So much for the geography lesson.

One gentleman that we visited liked to build various horse drawn coaches, and two were on display, a Cinderella pumpkin coach, with a picture of my lovely lady sitting in it, and a stagecoach. Also I posted '37 Chevy pickup that looked very solid, a sad '49 Roadmaster in a field, plus a few others.

Keith

post-119367-0-42808000-1443060395_thumb.post-119367-0-57867000-1443060639_thumb.post-119367-0-15691800-1443060660_thumb.post-119367-0-72243700-1443060676_thumb.post-119367-0-00224500-1443060695_thumb.post-119367-0-15196200-1443060710_thumb.

• Like 1

We had the Electra out for a couple of short drives this afternoon. My daughter (who is quite a car person) wanted to see it and go for a ride. After supper I let her drive it home, the brakes and steering are much more sensitive than on modern cars, but once she got used to it, did great. She gave a healthy (not floored) shot of gas and was impressed by the power.

We're out to winterize our trailer tomorrow, about a 65-70 mile drive each way, and mainly highway, and I'm going to take it. It is supposed to be a very nice day here in the Toronto area, so what can be better than going for a drive in the country in an old car?

Keith

• Like 2

On Saturday, drove the '91 Reatta 40+ miles round trip to a car show held at the Heights Crossing Assisted Living Home, Brockton, MA.  Couldn't believe that a number of folks actually knew what a Reatta was!  Over 100 cars displayed including a '70 Buick GS, a '66 Riviera, a '54 Special modified, and a '65 Wildcat convertible.  I think what brought the cars was the free New England clam chowdah and burgers/dogs.

Edited by DShip (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Last weekend with the Gold car @Cecil county NE GS/GN club races. Yesterday cruising and shopping in the Black 4 speed. (3500 miles this season so far) Yellow SunCoupe yesterday at local S. Salem NY Fair/Show. Taking advantage of the beautiful weather.

post-102025-0-93491000-1443377492_thumb.

post-102025-0-78866500-1443377539_thumb.

post-102025-0-30212600-1443377744_thumb.

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)

We took the '69 Electra to a few stops, visited friends, and drove home, about 150 miles round trip. That makes over 300 miles that I've put on it since I bought it on Wed., last week.

Running great, lots of power on the highway, and the disc brakes give a lot of stopping power too.

I love all my Buick babies, but I could get spoiled by this car!

Keith

post-119367-0-19715900-1443404960_thumb.post-119367-0-69414000-1443404982_thumb.

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)

The Upstate NY Chapter held the annual Fall Tour this past Saturday.  Was a great time viewing three separate collections.  Was also a delicious lunch at Gibbys Diner in Duanesburg, NY, and a very satisfying 110 mile round trip in the GS.

• Like 3