Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

19 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

I had the Electra out for the first in a few months. I had snuck it out during the winter on a dry day but now with the weather a bit better I took it out for a nice drive on Monday. I don't have the outside water on yet as the nights are still below freezing from time to time, so to the car wash I went!

Then I went for a drive to dry it off, etc. All together about 25 miles.

ElectraNixonApr.jpg.c14734e6ece9946a96f0149297ddec73.jpg

admiring your 225 i notice that your top is gleaming in the sunlight. i have just rejoined the vinyl top crowd and am looking for advice on products for the vinyl, it has been quite a few years since i owned one, and also if they are temporary (wash off) or more permanent. if i may please open it up to all suggestions and maybe we can get a consensus on great products. thanks in advance

Edited by MRJBUICK (see edit history)
  • Like 1

When I owned my '92 Rivieras with the landau vinyl roofs, I used "303 Aerospace Protectant" spray.  I was very happy with the product, and it had/has UV protection.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, MRJBUICK said:

admiring your 225 i notice that your top is gleaming in the sunlight. i have just rejoined the vinyl top crowd and am looking for advice on products for the vinyl, it has been quite a few years since i owned one, and also if they are temporary (wash off) or more permanent. if i may please open it up to all suggestions and maybe we can get a consensus on great products. thanks in advance

Yes, that is a top protectant I put on several years ago now, though the car is garaged most of the time. At this point I'm sorry I cannot remember the brand I used except it was one of the more expensive ones and was a cleaner, then when dry you applied the protector.

If I find the propducts I used I'll let you know,

• Thanks 2

Broke the Queen out for tonights Buick Club Chapter meeting.

20230412_201921.jpg

Also had it out yesterday and if I say so myself, the reaction to this car has been amazing. 

20230411_160219.jpg

And it really drives Buickful. And the a/c is still blowing ice cold. 

• Like 8

Although it is not the weekend, I attended my first local cruise-in today for the 2023 season.  Two other Buicks were there besides my '91 Reatta.  I spent copious amount of hours spiffing the Reatta up prior to the cruise-in.  The rag top belongs to a fellow BCA Minuteman member...don't know who owns the GS.

IMG_0593 (002).jpg

IMG_0597 (002).jpg

IMG_0594 (002).jpg

IMG_0595 (002).jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

I stopped to visit one of our local BCA /Mason-Dixon members since we had not seen him for a while. He owns a 1967 Electra 225 4 dr Hardtop. He bought it NEW! As I was leaving he snapped this photo of Beulah and I.

AtBarryEmsingers4-14-23.png.f2f81a4ad5d779dabf7ab3b40f5ff0fd.png

That is a wonderful photo Larry!  

• Like 2

My wife and I took the Skylark down to Oak Island, NC to visit our daughter, and then we continued south to Goose Creek, SC to visit a friend. We made a few side trips along the way before heading back to NJ after an additional 1,900 miles were added to the odometer. I have one more road trip planned so far, up to NH next weekend with a friend for a ham radio meet. Unfortunately that will be the last road trip until Fall, when the temps moderate to the point where my wife will be able to tolerate the heat. That car is such a pleasure to drive that I wouldn't mind using it as a daily driver. Unfortunately I'm not willing to "use it up." 

• Like 2

I went through that exercise last year. I installed a heavy duty radiator and fan last year in preparation for installing A/C. After consulting with one of their authorized dealers/installers in south Jersey I gave up on the idea due to having to fabricate brackets, source pulleys, and the associated cost and headaches. My recent concerns with creeping coolant temperatures put the idea of installing A/C out of my head completely.

Ruthann and I usually take only one or two road trips a year anyway, and now that we're retired we can choose when to go. Spring and Fall work for us. As for my personal riding season, the car gets more than its share of use during the Summer. I'm pretty heat-resistant.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Took Annie to a family event yesterday. Drove 260 miles or so round trip. Other than the voltage regulator issue documented elsewhere I was very happy with the performance and I think it is fair to say several heads were turned as the ole girl passed a few cars and trucks on the highways.  Uncharistically I did not take any pictures. Mostly because I was trying to use my phone with a GPS app to monitor my speedometer.  And secondly I was spending way too much time monitoring the ammeter.  Oh well.  It was a wonderful driving experience and the family party was great too.

• Like 8

On 4/23/2023 at 6:51 AM, Machine Gun said:

I went through that exercise last year. I installed a heavy duty radiator and fan last year in preparation for installing A/C. After consulting with one of their authorized dealers/installers in south Jersey I gave up on the idea due to having to fabricate brackets, source pulleys, and the associated cost and headaches. My recent concerns with creeping coolant temperatures put the idea of installing A/C out of my head completely.

Ruthann and I usually take only one or two road trips a year anyway, and now that we're retired we can choose when to go. Spring and Fall work for us. As for my personal riding season, the car gets more than its share of use during the Summer. I'm pretty heat-resistant.

We are going through a similar thing with the '68 Wildcat I'm restoring for my wife, I have all the stuff to install A/C on it off a car I parted out a few years ago, though major parts are likely non operative and was looking at a mostly new system for it. Expensive, and nice to have but then how much will it get used I wonder so will it be worth the money. Not sure yet.

Keith

We had a great Buick afternoon here. I started the '56 Roadmaster for the first time this year and it ran great and started easily once it got fuel into the carb.

I had to move the '41 Roadmaster to get the lawn tractor out, it started quickly but was running terrible, so I took it out for a short spin to warm it up then it smoothed out. Though I fear it needs a bit of attention!

Then my son started his '55 and we took it for a short drive to give that one a bit of exercise. We do check the basics before we take one of these babies out for the first time in ages.

The '41 had been out to show a friend who has a similar model, the difference in ride and drive with the radials instead of the original bias plies on his car.

Keith

Buick41Vert.jpg.0d12a3e85d38858b29e857007c8d5ff2.jpgBuick41Hor.jpg.1cfdd505c7c85d287d98d6e19f8c0fa4.jpgBuick55.jpg.25dffe489e1e225c6f99b7654d9cfcda.jpg

• Like 6

I went up through town with my '60 Electra this morning and had coffee at the convenient store. It is supposed to start raining this afternoon and continue until Thursday. I topped off the tank for about forty bucks and slid it back into the garage, probably be two weeks before it comes out again. I sure am happy with that Dynaflow rebuild.

Still bumping the garage furnace up on occasion. It has a new little black stablemate receiving very small details and the paint stripping on the '64 Riviera continues with hopes of getting it in primer in the next two weeks.

IMG_0205.JPG.2a1c4ef7a3cb72b5ca30d7a3717a89f6.JPG

• Like 8

I put another 500 or so miles on the Skylark this weekend on a trip up to New Hampshire. That's the last road trip I plan to make in the car this year. All went well until on the drive home I began to hear what sounds like a rear axle bearing going south. Diagnosing the noise will be my car project for the week.

Edited by Machine Gun (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I attended my first cruise-in of the season on Friday evening.  The weather has been mostly dismal, but Friday was glorious, and it was one of my first-ever car events with the Wildcat.  

The big cat stood out among other examples of GM's "heavy metal" that showed up.

captured-1.jpg

captured-2.jpg

capture-3.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I had a good Buick day today, I drove my friend's '40 coupe about 40 miles, and then later I met some friends for a burger dinner at an A&W, and drove the Electra though the heavens opened up, but unlike the '40 the wipers work well on it!

Buick40.jpg.e380b38780ce9c3dd8df48510ae56950.jpgBuickElectraTob.jpg.a9c4f13102823cb08d04760e4ba5262f.jpg

• Like 7

Yesterday morning, I drove my 1937 Model 80C to our local Cars and Coffee, a trip of only about 6 miles. Last night, I drove a friend's daughter and her new husband from their reception to their honeymoon, a round trip of 40 miles. The second photo shows the car while waiting for the couple last night.

DSC_2106.JPG

IMG_20230506_213454410_HDR.jpg

• Like 6

It was a local multi make car club's safety inspection on Sat morning. They require a valid sticker for the current year to participate in any of their tours or activities with your vintage car. I took the Electra and the '41 Roadmaster and they both passed without any issues. No pics of the '41, but here's the Electra with a first gen Mustang poking it's nose from behind the much bigger Electra. Actually some others commented how the Mustang disappeared behind it!

An old tree had this huge fungus growing out of it, amazing and so can see the size of it with my hand beside it. Of course no way on Earth am I touching it!

Keith

BuickElectra.jpg.55827b6c384e2bf6aca7c94b0944da8d.jpgBuickFungusClose.jpg.d8f921084f378af65e9befd65b99ab96.jpgBuickFungHand.jpg.9871ee15e58a4d1a739087f3aa86d0fa.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Machine Gun said:

@BuicknuttyYour Electra is such a beautiful car. Nineteen sixty-nine is one of my favorite years for Buick. I wish I still had my father's '69 LeSabre.

BTW, you were very wise not to touch the fungus. Remember "The Blob."

Probably a  very valuable delicacy that has "enhancement" properties. :D 

• Haha 3

Tonight was the first of the local cruise nights to start and we had lovely weather for it. I drove the Electra, and there were 160 cars there but I was the only Buick!

One car you don't see too often was this Cosworth Vega, and a very original example. The little screamer puts out in the region of 200 HP with 7,000 RPM redline.

Keith

ElectraCruise.jpg.ca06ed3e5c33cbea100461c1c6babf59.jpgCruiseVega1.jpg.87e42dd767de75e99377ad0d6e938940.jpgCruiseVegaEmblem.jpg.1bf3fac05b9bc7fd9e948ceeefe9739d.jpgCruiseVegaEng.jpg.acde2a0d9172a4003935c50284eb1b66.jpg

• Like 6

Like @EmTee mentioned, we were together at the Rhinebeck 2023 car show. I had taken Annie on Saturday because we have a new member in our Chapter and he wanted some information on the 54 convertible he just had delivered. So after a thorough trip thru the junk in the swap meet I headed over to his place on the way home.  Imagine my surprise when we arrived and found this 26k sweetheart20230506_174615.jpg

20230506_174655.jpg20230506_174630.jpganyway that would be a whole different story. 

Did the 180 mile round trip in the 56, and had a slight problem close to home.  Still not sure how to even describe it but Annie made it. 

Sunday I took the Queen right back there. That really is a fablous ride in that car. 

20230507_100702.jpgHere's the group touring together.  Everyone was offered the option of going on ahead of the 29 Model A, but everyone chose to slow it down and run with Lee.

20230507_114114 (1).JPG

Here is our Buick Club class. 16 cars to begin with. 

20230507_113636 (1).JPGFor a moment I was wondering if @Dandy Dave had painted the Chartreuse Lady, but no, this is a 2nd one in this area. 

The following were the three awards we were able to give out in our class.  No formal judging, just the assistant director and I made the choice and presented our awards

20230507_123714 (1).JPG20230507_125711 (1).JPG20230507_131242 (1).JPG

There were a lot of other Buicks on the show field, but I have shot pictures of them all in the past, 

• Like 10

Thanks for sharing that JD. 🙂 The 15 Buick you saw is a C-24 which is the small roadster. It is owned by Jeff Morton. He has photos of it when his mother was young and having fun in it. It is an excellent example of that model. Note that the fuel tank is just behind the seat and round. That is the easiest way to know the difference between models. 

IMG_5616.JPG.5606023d19ac485b756ffd2b7284120b.JPGIMG_5617.JPG.ec38ab4f114aaf6fe55aa3d8aa2e87e6.JPG

IMG_5618.JPG.db649544ea945742e3abd4d9951d45ae.JPG

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

the 54  that had just been delivered.   Typo or did he not know?    Beautiful car.

Ben

He did not know.  The short version of the story is this;  his family knew the original owners family as friends in New York City, where the car was purchased.  The Buick was used there and eventually wound up in Ireland with another relative of the original owner.  Stored more than used in Ireland, when that relative was done with it no other relative wanted it so they offered it to this fellow who had it shipped back to the USA.  

And since I brought it up @Dandy Davewas showing his restorative skills resurecting and now driving this White Truck, with a load of goods including a White sewing machine! What a blast!

20230507_155639.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

🤣😂🙃 Don't tell no body but them feed sacks is full of corn mash fer makin moonshine. This has been more of a "resurrection" project than a "restoration" One thing fer sur is getin by the DOT is easy as pie. They just roll on the ground and laugh when I roll by in this at the truck inspection stop. 😉 Code name for the White Whiskey operation is Al Coe, Hauling. One call does it all. 😁

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7