Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

I'm doing a bit of catching up here. We took the '56 Roadmaster to a cruise in on Tues evening, a nice group of about 130 cars. My new friend's '32 McLaughlin Buick was the "car of the week" this time, and a nice '65(?) Skylark was the only other Buick I saw there.

The AMC Matador was not an uncommon car here in the 70's, but this is the first one I've seen in many, many years. I good friend of mine had one of these with the biggest engine available, a 401 cu in., and roared around in it till he smashed it up. He survived, but the car was total wreck. The rest just rusted to bits I suppose, like so many others of the era.

It was a very hot day, and a warm night. and great to be driving along the road with the windows down. Kind of brought back memories from long ago.

About 45 miles or so all told.

Keith

Tuescruise1.jpg

TuesCruise2.jpg

TuesCruise3.jpg

TuesCruise4.jpg

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 7

On to Wed night. We drove back into the city to do some shopping, and go a cruise in that I used to go to often before the move. I felt like a was a bit of celebrity, as  no one expected to see me!

A very small gathering of 35 cars, and some left before the end. It was great to see some of my old friends.

The Reatta this time, the first since the brake job.

This was a long drive, about 100 miles each way, so about 200 total. This was the hottest day of the week, and here in Toronto we broke a record from 1945. The exterior temp were running from 95 F to a top of 102 F. The A/C was not working too well, and the "A/C service" light came on late in the afternoon. So I guess I need to get the looked into now.

Otherwise it ran great, and kept its' cool even in traffic. But no A/C on the way home, of course.

Pictured is my wife, Glenda, in the car, and a picture of both of us in front of the Reatta.

Keith

GlenReatta.jpg

KetGlenRett2.jpg

• Like 6

TuesCruise4.jpg

8 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

My new friend's '32 McLaughlin Buick was the "car of the week" this time,

Keith, I'm guessing that car would be Tony's?

If so, he has a beautiful 1958 Buick Limited too that I have seen and would love to own.

He and his wife are great people! 

Here I am again.

I've had a busy week with my Buicks. For several years now I had been invited to bring a car to a small town some distance away, for a once a year, Friday evening display. One of the issues I had in the past, was the traffic with having go through Toronto on Friday afternoon, which is very sprawling, but now I'm outside the city, and though it was quite a drive, not too much traffic.

For this trip I choose the Electra, as there were going to be three of us, and a lot of driving, then returning home rather late. First I had to pick my son up from college for the weekend, a distance of 70 miles or so, then about 1 3/4 drive to the town of Fergus, where the show was, and home again.

A great display of nearly 200 hundred cars, lots of Fords and Chevies, but mine was the only Buick. An ultra rare 1937 Triumph Continental, well restored, with right hand drive, and "trafficators", the flip out turn signals found on most British cars till the early 50's. A '63 Corvette fuelie, with a working fuel injection unit, and owned by the same man for 31 years (and counting), Another one of my British favs, a red MGA, and two Chev Parkwood station wagons, a '59 and a '60, though both were modified to some extent. So many other interesting cars!

A lot of modifieds of course, but other nicely restored ones.

The other thing were the number of regular townspeople that came to see the cars. The area was very busy most of the night, with live entertainment provided, many nearby local businesses were open late as well.

About 250 smooth and trouble free miles in the "Big Yellow".

Keith

FergElect1.jpg

FergTri2.jpg

FergTraf5.jpg

FergTri3.jpg

FergMG3.jpg

FergFuelie4.jpg

FergTbird5.jpg

• Like 7

Was up early to get the Special out to bring back home to load things for a car show today.

IMG_3669.thumb.JPG.3d22421cc248ac3e981d68d34ea006af.JPG

Being in town it wasn't far but went with friends and had fun watching parents showing their kids the food tray with my A&W mug and fake sundae on it while at the back of the car. I'm sure the young mothers might not have experienced the car hop experience let alone their kids...

IMG_3690.thumb.JPG.c2f4381c307a8d2a7f999df27d883429.JPG 

There were about 250 cars or so and the street was large enough for people and cars without congestion. 

Again not many miles but she performed great and I have a gas gauge that appears to be reading correctly! 

• Like 4

Weekend before last we had the 50th Annual Bug Tussle Trek through East Texas.  We had 73 registered cars and a few tag-a-longs for the departure from Farmersville.  First stop was Leonard, followed by Bonham and then a stop where Bug Tussle used to be for some cheers and general foolery with photo evidence to embarrass the participants.  Next stop was Honey Grove for sack lunches we each bought with us.  Honey Grove provided their Community Center (with A/C) at the cost of two cans of food per person for their food pantry.  From Honey Grove we proceeded to Paris for our banquet in a building at the fair grounds.  Hospitality room at the hotel following the banquet was well attended and lasted into the evening. You can view a video of some of the cars here: http://bugtussletrek.com/

A couple of photos of our car I took after we got home from the tour - about 275 miles.

IMG_0851.thumb.JPG.9cd3d0a0c9b5b35ebfba4734bd31fd15.JPGIMG_0850.thumb.JPG.47fff53099c834d3f6e2c4eaf60492e0.JPG

• Like 7

Cloudy and cool today, but no rain in the forecast, so I decided to take Goldie out to the AACA show in Wampsville hosted by the Mohican Model A club.  Lots of cars of all types.  Here are a few of the Buicks I saw, starting with mine...

IMG_0992.JPG

IMG_0994.JPG

IMG_0995.JPG

• Like 7

For once I wasn't the only 2nd generation Riviera on the field -- saw this gorgeous '66.  It was the only other Riviera I saw aside from mine.  Spoke with one of the owners who said she saw it out front of a house for sale and told her husband they had to go back and buy that car -- 40 years ago!  She has certainly aged well!  I really like the look of the cloth & vinyl upholstery.

IMG_0997.JPG

IMG_0998.JPG

IMG_0999.JPG

• Like 4

Spent Thursday  & Friday on the HCCA Lansing-Dearborn tour as part of the Old Car Festival and Saturday & Sunday at Greenfield Village. 

Joyce and I were one of the chase trucks for the tour but drove the '15 truck around the village some.  The gray building behind the truck is the Edison Laboratory and the brick building is the machine shop.

Greenfield Village OCF 2018.jpg

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 12

Bev and I attended the Old Car Festival ( OCF ) for our twentieth year with this 1913 Buick model 31.  Since the OCF is not a static display we gave rides including leaving the park, driving on Dearborn streets and re-entering the park via different entrance, by the back workshops.  With parents permission I must have had a dozen children learn how to crank start an engine, they were all successful.  I have the car in such a high state of tune it will start on a quarter turn and the impulser means if the kids can turn the engine it will start.  The engine has never. ever kicked back.  Great weather ending with showers late in the afternoon Sunday and huge public crowds.

I should mention the OCF had 4 Model K Fords and 8 Sears high wheelers too.

Regards, Gary

DSC_5102.JPG

• Like 10

21 hours ago, cxgvd said:

Bev and I attended the Old Car Festival ( OCF ) for our twentieth year with this 1913 Buick model 31.  Since the OCF is not a static display we gave rides including leaving the park, driving on Dearborn streets and re-entering the park via different entrance, by the back workshops.  With parents permission I must have had a dozen children learn how to crank start an engine, they were all successful.  I have the car in such a high state of tune it will start on a quarter turn and the impulser means if the kids can turn the engine it will start.  The engine has never. ever kicked back.  Great weather ending with showers late in the afternoon Sunday and huge public crowds.

I should mention the OCF had 4 Model K Fords and 8 Sears high wheelers too.

Regards, Gary

DSC_5102.JPG

Shoot. I did not make the connection between this car and Gary.  Next year.

I was there too with my 1923 on Saturday.

144 miles round trip from Fenton.

I had several people doubt me that I drove.  Heck that's half the fun.  The other is seeing all the early cars and their owners.

One of the more chilly rides I recall.  Stopped for coffee both ways to warm up.  I should have grabbed a heavier jacket, the golf pullover with the top down was 'refreshing'  shall we say.  Left my cell phone at home on the kitchen counter too (who was excited to go?  Ha.) 

We all get 4 wrist bands so next year if some of you plan go, get in touch with us and we can set you up as our guests and you get in free.

IMG_7813.jpg

• Like 5

Attended North Cyprus concours event , where Ruby won best in show two years ago , so wasn’t expecting anything

thought may win best American until a $100k restomod mustang turned up!. However won second best in show , very pleased as some great cars in attendance. Show winner Jaguar XK 150S rare one apparently only 9 the same left , amazing condition, met the owner nice guy , told me he’s had the car 38 years and when he purchased it , he had a difficult decision with the jag and an Aston Martin DB5 for similar money !

FF4D6D46-0877-4067-9B42-DEE239F626F7.jpeg

569763DB-208C-4AE9-BAF8-74D352F30A1C.jpeg

FAC0ACC7-A959-4580-A0E0-F6DEF0A9AD66.jpeg

13514A47-03F9-4936-A8AE-1226F0E630FC.jpeg

7A7F024B-2D22-4962-8E1F-6C060B9DA484.jpeg

• Like 5

Hey Brian, sorry we missed you, Saturday was a busy day for us, pass in review and we had company.  I did see this Buick driving around quite often and I thought of our friend Lawrence.  Regards, Gary

DSC_5112.JPG

• Like 4

Perfect day for sunshine, four windows rolled down on a pillarless flattop, and a 60 miles ride out to lunch.

We headed out RT 104, the old Honeymoon Trail that could take us the Niagara Falls. We cut off to the south heading for the Medina Town and Country Family Restaurant on Main St.

009.thumb.JPG.7d787173230c950bf27188808ab5b6b7.JPG

Medina Sandstone blocks shipped worldwide on the Erie Canal through the 1800's.

Even the NAPA store is made from it.

012.thumb.JPG.d5381de14b8f7902c0a9f610ea4a7998.JPG

013.thumb.JPG.1f3b42d8ee802fb50774a8e5ead7805c.JPG

That's the Medina Basin. The wall on the other side is about 60 feet down.

Cruise nights on Fridays in back of the buildings on Main St. but it never fits my schedule or habits.

014.thumb.JPG.87becb728a1ec64fb80383b94567353f.JPG

015.thumb.JPG.d7b2df8589cc2d0883e0e382ba02678d.JPG

Stayed along the canal most of the way back. Good for the car.

Bernie

• Like 6

On 9/12/2018 at 6:20 AM, Scott Farrington said:

Took the 57 Estate Wagon to the mall.   Did some shopping,  then a long cruise home.   Stopped to top off the tank as the wife used it Monday,  and was reprimanded by a gent in a KIA for driving it around like a...car.?!?

Presume it was because your "car" looks so nice but seriously, some people just don't get it do they?!

14 hours ago, dei said:

Presume it was because your "car" looks so nice

No, most likely he was upset about being stuck behind an 'old jalopy' not driving 10 mph over the posted limit, riding the bumper of the car in front and actually stopping at red lights & stop signs.  That guy was simply in a hurry to get nowhere... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just got home from a 6 day trip to Atlantic City and then the NE Buick races at Cecil County Dragway in Maryland. The '75 Electra ran flawlessly. We did some touring, went back to the Strasburg Pa. area and more. The car won a trophy at the car show part of the event as icing on the cake for my wifes birthday. ? The trip was 651 miles all together. The car now has 23238 miles.

IMG_4279.JPG

IMG_4401.JPG

IMG_4269.JPG

• Like 7

Had a little September 11th car show and BBQ at my work. Just starting to get cars in place. Had a nice little selection of old to new. 48 Willys in the background. Had a 66 MG, 1966 GT350, On the modern side a 2016 Charger Hellcat, BMW I8 and a brand new McClaren.

Everybody loves the Roadmaster!

roadmaster VSE.jpg

Edited by andyp3 (see edit history)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, philip roitman said:

The '75 Electra ran flawlessly.

I'm a sucker for those black cars all day long.

After a nice ride in the '60 Electra I begged her to go out in the convertible today. No luck. Maybe later by myself.

Did go to the same places as usual.  Would you believe this is a Lucerne?

001.thumb.JPG.d3892dc48e8cf721921ccfd617ae011d.JPG

oops!

003.thumb.JPG.35562c32b371ae8f0d6c3763894eb1db.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I'm a sucker for those black cars all day long.

After a nice ride in the '60 Electra I begged her to go out in the convertible today. No luck. Maybe later by myself.

Did go to the same places as usual.  Would you believe this is a Lucerne?

001.thumb.JPG.d3892dc48e8cf721921ccfd617ae011d.JPG

oops!

003.thumb.JPG.35562c32b371ae8f0d6c3763894eb1db.JPG

Why the BMW wheels? Also I do not remember Buick making a V12.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Today we drove the Reatta 220 miles to meet up with a group we are members to tour Eastern Ontario/Bay of Quinte area till the weekend. One upgrade I recently did to the car was to install a new radio, as the original didn't work properly. It is a nice upgrade from the old Delco, with all of the mod cons, and the appearance doesn't jar me too much. Still have the old one if I ever want to go back to it.

Keith

Reatta Radio.jpg

• Like 2

Only about 65 miles today, here's a couple of shots at one of our stops. A bit of a gloomy day at times, though no rain here today. Touring through the Prince Edward County area of Ontario, known locally as simply "The County". This area used to be predominately farming for local canning factories, and fishing for many years, but now tourism and wineries are taking over. Lots of corn still being grown here though, but about 60 different wineries have sprung up in recent years in this area. A scenic and laid back area to visit still. These couple of pictures were taken at a local art studio, which is also a growing trend here as well.

Keith

ReattaStudio.jpg

ThursTour1.jpg

• Like 5

Perfect Fall day. No color yet. 

For those who have never gone to a real cider mill and had hot fresh donuts out of a sack that is starting to grease stain, you don’t know what you are missing. 

Forgot Finn’s water bowl so had to stop and let him romp in a creek. 

Now where did the Wife hide the rest of those donuts . . .

85 miles.  68F.  Deep blue cloudless skies. 

A499EF73-0417-4956-AA8C-A0EDEBE69F3F.jpeg

• Like 1