June Bugle

38Buick 80C

Guest 4 bufords

i won't get mine for another week,always after the 12th -15th of the month,4 bufords from ct

Got mine today, read most of it. Nice and very interesting article on the 56X Century convertible.

As usual, another great and outstanding job by our editor extrordinaire.....Pete Phillips!!!

The "B" Magazine makes the third one for us since Lana has a 2011 Lacrosse and I have a 2012 Lacrosse.

For those that have not seen the magazine "B" sent to Buick owners, you are in for a treat.

Edited by serb
Correct some spelling errors. (see edit history)

The "B" Magazine makes the third one for us since Lana has a 2011 Lacrosse and I have a 2012 Lacrosse.

OK good at least I know you got it. Sorry it's the third one, hopefully for those who get it the first time will like it too.

SO... whats' the feedback do you like the B Magazine? THe BCA has worked hard to build the relationship back with Buick-GMC after the bankruptcy when we didn't have the points of contact we used. Buick-GMC is interested in the feedback from the club and selling some cars too (Looks like Serb did his part already).

Received mine today as well.

Absolutely LOVED the '56X Century Convertible article!

The B magazine was a welcome sight! It's great to see Buick-GMC taking an active interest. Here's to hoping the marketing ploy works!

Sadly, my '96 Roadmaster Estate Wagon is the newest Buick I own. :)

I got mine today, too.

I really like "B" magazine, but it's not really got an instant tie-in to "BUICK" until you notice all of the Buick stuff in it . . . or see some really fine print on the cover. A very classy magazine! Great photography that shows Buicks in very nice "light", as desireable automobiles that make you smile when you see one (or more!) in your driveway (note the article about "the FIVE").

I've always felt that tie-ins with local dealerships AND the manufacturer are always good things to do, when possible! Thanks for getting those lines of communication open again!

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

My Bugle arrived today, so they made it to the West coast... I just scanned it.

I enjoyed to B magazine and I expect we will be test driving the new Buicks at our All Buick Show at the Buick GMC dealership in Portland August 18th.

Now I need to do my second read of the Bugle...

I see in the new Bugle they have added another tier of judging . Even the "archival " Buicks will be judged. Is there any question why you are losing members????

Well, soon you won't have to worry about it anymore as your membeship expires, and you will have to borrow mine if you want to read it, but you must give them back so I can continue my hoarding projects. and maybe you have to give me all 46 years of issues too!!!or at least the ones before 1987!

:eek:

Got mine today in the mail. Great article on the 56X as well as the Peterson Museum display. Very cool. The B magazine is pretty good as well. I hope it helps them with sales. I hear the Buick is the biggest GM brand selling in China, for what it is worth.

Well, soon you won't have to worry about it anymore as your membeship expires

:eek:

Joe, I hope that your membership is the ONLY thing of yours that is expiring! Might there be some way to bring it back to life?

The main thing I noticed in the "Archival" area was that they now had "qualifications" to meet to be in that class. Not quite the "slam dunk" it used to be to "Drive your Buick to the meet and put it in the Archival Class", BUT I do seem to recall that this particular orientation was one way to get more Buicks to the meet AND increase participation.

One year, we tried an "original" class in our Mopar club shows, to reward those who had original cars that were still in good condition, after all of those years. With these good intentions, that class turned out to be a total disaster! One man claimed that his paint was "all original", although we could find many places where it'd been spot-repaired (in acrylic lacquer against acrylic enamel factory paint), even under the hood. If he'd used a touch-up paint item, it would have been different, but these were full body shop style sprayed-on and blended in spot repairs. Not big, but still what they were . . . all over the car. We tried to explain our position, but he maintained they were "maintenance items". Eventually, his 5' tall wife (he was 6'2"), told him to move the car to the normal class he would otherwise have been in. We didn't do that class the next year! The orientation was to have a place for original and un-redone cars to be displayed and possibly receive an award, but with the great amount of tension which resulted, we said . . . "Not again!"

But, Joe, you also understand that whenever you get two or more people in the same place at the same time, doing the same thing, "competition" can result. And that means "winners" and "not-quite-winners". Which puts that whole "judging" situation into motion . . . for better or worse.

I certainly hope everything works as well as it can, but it might be necessary to put a 3 minute time limit for the owners to justify their positions as to what's original, maintenance, etc. on their vehicle. And THAT activity might be the most onerous thing of all! Many of the participants in this class will have unique orientations, tempered by what "other clubs" term "original", or what their local cruise-in operatives classify as "stock", too. Ultimate end result is that many feelings might become "raw" and that's NOT what's desired at what should be a "fun event". Considering the initial teething pains of the Driven Class, it might take three years for the enhanced Archival Class to finally settle into what the "enhancers" originally envisioned.

Sorry for the additional, non-"BUGLE" commentary.

I'm not sure what Joe's "born on" date might be, but I certainly hope his "expiration date" is many more years into the future!

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest shadetree77

Lamar, that mule must of got shot somewhere between here and your place because I got mine 2 days ago. Maybe it went to the wrong part of Atlanta. Tell you what though, if the warden hid your Bugle let me know. I'll send you a series of anonymous emails, each with a scan of a Bugle page hidden in it. Kind of the electronic equivalent of baking a file in a cake!:D

NTX 5467 ,

Everything evolves, and the BCA has evolved into a group that has its main emphasis on judging . I have enjoyed the group since 1969, and because I am not travelling as much as I once did, will not be doing as much as I did. The early meets were fun because , for the most part everyone drove their Buicks to the meet. Now it appears to me that all the emphasis is on the 400 point cars. That would be fine ,except for the fact that the system is flawed, and there really appears to be no way to fix it. There was NEVER a Buick built on the production line that was perfect, but if your car has a run in the paint ,or a part that does not fit perfectly , you lose points. I have maintained for quite some time that if the BCA REALLY wants to judge cars ,they should have members that are familiar with the different years look at the vehicles and tell the owner what they need to make it correct. If I understand the judging rules correctly, you can't judge your own class. Who knows better what is right and wrong than the person that has the car year he is judging.

I am cutting back on my car activities severely. I sold my 72 GS that was my drag car, and have my BDE car up for sale ( This is a 69 Sport Wagon with a 200-4R trans and AC ) My 40 convert is also up for grabs, but I don't expect anyone to want it ,as it is made for travelling ( 3.42 rear axle ,roadmaster brakes ,and a 263 engine)

I was a "Hot Rodder" before I got involved with Buicks, and will keep my 37 Special coupe ( it is equipped with a 455 Buick engine and has all the comforts of a late model . )As I said everything evolves, but they also run in cycles, and I am reverting to the Hot Rod phase of my life )

To answer your question, I was born in 1933, and hope to live to be 110 and then get shot by some jealous husband

Edited by The Old Guy (see edit history)

Hang in there Joe...

I bring my prewar cars to BCA events for display only. Some are peer judged events, which I think is OK because there are no rules or points and people just vote for cars they like.

Most of my cars are too old to be entered in the new class (I believe the age of the car does factor in here) and since I am not a trophy hunter anyway, I don't let it bother me.

I am glad to let others argue over who is right or wrong in judging cars because "I don't have a dog in that hunt".

NTX 5467 ,

Everything evolves, and the BCA has evolved into a group that has its main emphasis on judging . I have enjoyed the group since 1969, and because I am not travelling as much as I once did, will not be doing as much as I did. The early meets were fun because , for the most part everyone drove their Buicks to the meet. Now it appears to me that all the emphasis is on the 400 point cars. That would be fine ,except for the fact that the system is flawed, and there really appears to be no way to fix it. There was NEVER a Buick built on the production line that was perfect, but if your car has a run in the paint ,or a part that does not fit perfectly , you lose points. I have maintained for quite some time that if the BCA REALLY wants to judge cars ,they should have members that are familiar with the different years look at the vehicles and tell the owner what they need to make it correct. If I understand the judging rules correctly, you can't judge your own class. Who knows better what is right and wrong than the person that has the car year he is judging.

I am cutting back on my car activities severely. I sold my 72 GS that was my drag car, and have my BDE car up for sale ( This is a 69 Sport Wagon with a 200-4R trans and AC ) My 40 convert is also up for grabs, but I don't expect anyone to want it ,as it is made for travelling ( 3.42 rear axle ,roadmaster brakes ,and a 263 engine)

I was a "Hot Rodder" before I got involved with Buicks, and will keep my 37 Special coupe ( it is equipped with a 455 Buick engine and has all the comforts of a late model . )As I said everything evolves, but they also run in cycles, and I am reverting to the Hot Rod phase of my life )

To answer your question, I was born in 1933, and hope to live to be 110 and then get shot by some jealous husband

I feel the same. I wish the judging was focused more on what's RIGHT on the car rather than what's wrong with it.

A '40 convert! With a 3:42. I would be interested!! But the bank account would probably not stretch that wide.

I did my'50 for driving. Not show. It has blemishes, sure, but I like it. Just changed gears to 3.4. And I LIKE that. Will be driving to Concord.

I too hope to live a long and happy life DRIVING my Buicks.

Ben

Joe, thanks for the comments and information. I hope you're around past 110, too! I also understand "thinning the fleet", too, as everybody will have to deal with that, one way or another, sooner or later, for whatever reason(s).

Regarding judging . . . even with a standardized set of rules and specific instructions, there will be some people who interpret the rules and instructions via their own perceptual filter(s). Still, though, you can't judge "fit and finish" of a 1955 car by the same specific standards you'd have for a 2000 car. Some body side molding alignments will not all be perfect on the '55, YET the misalignments on the '55 will probably be on MOST '55s, too . . . just as '57 Chevy lh rr door side moldings seem to be consistently off just a little bit on non-restored cars.

In one respect, I'd want the Archival Class to be "The Example Class" or "The Reference Standard Class" of what the particular vehicles were when they new. Might not be the most slick paint, even faded a little, but would have the correct OEM production level of metallic in the metallic paint for that color and that year. Rather than have a fully-restored or over-restored vehicle being held up as "completely correct, do yours like this one". With all due respect, some restored vehicles would meet that orientation, but NOT all of them.

But then, too, if you're going to do a full-blown restoration, why not fix some of the little things which kept the production version from being as perfect as we'd like to remember that they were? I can understand people wanting to make their car "better" (cosmetically), as long as "they're doing it", but it just depends upon WHICH car show you're more interested in "playing in", to a different set of rules than is used by the BCA. Do you want to please the BCA with a correctly-restored vehicle or do you want to please the weekend cruise night people, who like to look at flawless shiney (late model, multi-stage, clearcoat) paint and "show chrome"?

Thanks again, Joe, for your input and insight!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

To be honest, it's much easier to make a car perfect than "correctly imperfect." Ask the Corvette guys who get docked points if the paint is too smooth, the panels too flat, and all the production "errors" erased. Over-restoration is a no-no in those circles, and it takes an extraordinary amount of skill and time to duplicate what the factory did to make things easy and fast. In fact, the shiny paint and chrome are probably the same price as the "not quite as perfect" stuff the factory used, and perhaps even cheaper. Would you pay extra for an inferior plating job on your bumpers? No way!

Now, back to the topic at hand, I got my Bugle yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it, as usual. I burn through it in one sitting right after I retrieve the mail, and this was no exception. I guess the "B" magazine was OK (is that like "O," the Oprah magazine?), but I'm not sure what it's designed to do. It's blatant marketing, and I guess the Buick club is as good a place for that as any, but you can't read it looking for objective opinions on the new Buicks, and everything else is fluff. There was that travel piece that was wholly fabricated--much of the photography was stock stuff, including one photo I've used myself at another job years ago! Nobody from their editorial department took that road trip, they faked it. I don't like being lied to, even by the marketing department.

I recently rented a brand new Buick LaCrosse for a week while my beloved allroad was getting a new timing belt, and it was about what I expected: smooth, competent, quiet, but not much "wow" factor. I consistently found myself going 10 MPH faster than I thought, and the sucker was awfully quiet, but otherwise it was pretty "meh." Gas mileage was pretty impressive--I managed about 28 MPG on a long highway drive to Toronto at 75 MPH where my twin-turbo V6 allroad manages about 23. On the other hand, it must be somewhat under-powered, because even very modest throttle applications from a stoplight resulted in a 6000 RPM race to redline in first gear, followed by a blast to 5000 RPM in second, which always seemed odd--and this was at, say, 25% throttle, not flat-out! I thought maybe the transmission was slipping. No, it was just masking a very soft bottom-end and a VERY porky curb weight. Handsome car, glad I paid the extra $10/day to have it instead of the Mitsubishi Galant next to it, but I can safely cross it off my list of cars I might want to own.

PS: The Old Guy is my hero!

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

I did get it. The 56 66X article is most interesting! And , I enjoyed reading the update on the 55 43 in Spain.

And the '36 Century Sport coupe was very much like Dad's 36 Special business coupe.

I'm going to read the "B" magazine next. Its inclusion was a pleasant suprise

Matt, as with most "OEM Owner Magazines", there can be some "fabrication" involved. When I was in grade school and then junior high, I read "Ford Times" while my mother got her hair done. That was a highlight, to me (much better than the Hollywood Gossip magazines!). It was a pretty neat magazine, but also had other things in it, like things ladies might like . . . even Ford realized the dominant force which "wives" were to vehicle purchasing decision . . . as did Chevy (cue the '59 Chevy station wagon commercial on YouTube!) . . . back then.

Still, though, many "orchestrated" trips and such to showcase a particular model of Ford. There was one magazine that did a special issue for Chrysler, in the later 1990s. Several road trips were showcased around a particular Chrysler Corp vehicle. Sebring convertible, Jeep, etc. and sold it on newsstands as a supplemental issue of sorts.

With the new electronic throttle controls (which have been around for more than a decade!), "Fly by Wire" throttle control, there is no direct link from the accel pedal to the throttle body. The stepper motor is actuated by the ECM from input from the throttle position sensor in the accel pedal assy. This has allowed many interesting ways to do things!

IF you feather the throttle from idle, you'll probably notice that it takes more throttle input to move the car, as in backing up against a curb, uphill. This is "garage mode", with less throttle sensitivity. But if you use normal input, things work normally. If you move the throttle quickly, the computer perceives you're in a hurry and puts more throttle into the engine and possibly raises shift points to achieve that orientation. Similarly, if you slam the throttle open, the throttle might not be fully open by the time the accel pedal hits the floorboard, but modulated a little to decrease emissions and still get the driver that "WOT" feel by the time the engine rpm hits redline. It's all in the software.

When the current gen LaCrosse came out, I rented one for a weekend trip. It had the 3.0L DI V-6 in it. I was impressed with the acceleration and general power with the 6-speed automatic. Body rigidity was improved and the chassis was firmed-up to better handle the times when an owner might desire to "air out" the HO V-6, which was appropriate. The six-speed AT has a low gear ratio of about 4.50, so that'll get the engine through any "low rpm weakness" sooner, but I really didn't notice anything "weak" down there. Where "weak" usually shows up is at 1700rpm cruise rpms in 6th gear, by observation, when a downshift is needed for a simple road speed increase of a few mph. 5th gear is an OD also.

The one I drove got a solid 30mpg average without trying to get economy per se. I was pleased in the way it ran and drove and handled. Be that as it may . . .

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

The original thread was asking if you received your Bugle yet and for some reason here in Georgia (yea I live reasonably close to Mr. Earl) our mailman reminds me of the mailman in the Chevy Chase movie Funny Farm. We are always at least two weeks behind in receiving the Bugle.

As far as the judging at the Nationals, I believe that points should not be taken off for having radial tires, halogen headlights and dual master cylinders. These items make the cars safer and better to drive. Doesn't the Buick Club promote the preservation of Buick's? I realize that if you did make these changes, then someone might be fighting for improved radio's, tinted windows etc. I do appreciate what the folks on the Board go through in trying to run this club efficiently and trying to cater to everyone's wants and needs.

Also, since I am an Old Guy but not as old as "The Old Guy" I would like to say that how refreshing it is to have some young blood at the helm this past year. I have really enjoyed reading Brian's messages every month in the Bugle. Brian has made it a personal goal to come up with new idea's for the club. Thanks Brian!

Just got mine today. Interesting article about the 56X. A couple of corrections on the 1936 66S article:

-Style number should be 36-4657 or 364657

-engine number is short two digits - it should start with a 6 (for 60 series) and then the sequential portion should be one digit longer

-the production numbers are backwards, it should be:

-1079 with opera seat (1 export)

-1018 with rumble seat (17 export)

As for the B magazine, my wife was impressed with the LaCrosse and its optional 303 HP V6, I think she wants one.

Got mine here in PA yesterday! Nice articles. The 56X article was very interesting. I really enjoyed Pete's article on the hydraulic pump. Informative to say the least for some that might not understand them. If my truck was paid off......................then there would be a new Buick in the drive and the Honda would be no more......Matt

The original thread was asking if you received your Bugle yet and for some reason here in Georgia (yea I live reasonably close to Mr. Earl) our mailman reminds me of the mailman in the Chevy Chase movie Funny Farm. We are always at least two weeks behind in receiving the Bugle.

As far as the judging at the Nationals, I believe that points should not be taken off for having radial tires, halogen headlights and dual master cylinders. These items make the cars safer and better to drive. Doesn't the Buick Club promote the preservation of Buick's? I realize that if you did make these changes, then someone might be fighting for improved radio's, tinted windows etc. I do appreciate what the folks on the Board go through in trying to run this club efficiently and trying to cater to everyone's wants and needs.

Also, since I am an Old Guy but not as old as "The Old Guy" I would like to say that how refreshing it is to have some young blood at the helm this past year. I have really enjoyed reading Brian's messages every month in the Bugle. Brian has made it a personal goal to come up with new idea's for the club. Thanks Brian!

Hard to believe you haven't received yours yet. Down here in SW Georgia (aka the land technology forgot) I received mine a couple of days ago.

As far as the judging at the Nationals, I believe that points should not be taken off for having radial tires, halogen headlights and dual master cylinders. These items make the cars safer and better to drive. Doesn't the Buick Club promote the preservation of Buick's?

"Preservation" = "End of assembly line correct"

Remember, too, that many of us "old(er) guys and gals drove many hundred thousands of miles on bias ply tires (probably better than the current repros!), with weaker headlights, and single master cylinder brake systems . . . and lived to tell about it. No doubt that radials, halogens (or HID conversion kits), and other things make vehicles safer . . . but as they used to say back then . . . "It's that nut behind the wheel . . . "

But, back then, we didn't know any better! Many stories are around about racing to the next town, on bias ply tires, with weak headlights, etc., at night. Perhaps we had better night vision back in those eras when mothers came with "spring-loaded" right arms to keep the young kids (sitting beside here in the front bench seat) safely in their seat (before seat belts were standard)?

Respectfully,

NTX5467

"Preservation" = "End of assembly line correct"

Remember, too, that many of us "old(er) guys and gals drove many hundred thousands of miles on bias ply tires (probably better than the current repros!), with weaker headlights, and single master cylinder brake systems . . . and lived to tell about it. No doubt that radials, halogens (or HID conversion kits), and other things make vehicles safer . . . but as they used to say back then . . . "It's that nut behind the wheel . . . "

But, back then, we didn't know any better! Many stories are around about racing to the next town, on bias ply tires, with weak headlights, etc., at night. Perhaps we had better night vision back in those eras when mothers came with "spring-loaded" right arms to keep the young kids (sitting beside here in the front bench seat) safely in their seat (before seat belts were standard)?

Respectfully,

NTX5467

Also keep in mind that back then speed limits were lower, no large interstates, and all cars were equipped like the one you were driving (bias ply tires, dim lights, single m/c brakes etc.)

When everyone had single cylinder brakes, everyone always would allow more time to stop. Nowadays, it's speed up fast Abd stop on a dime with most drivers out there.

In my opinion, to keep an older car safe on today's roads with today's far more advanced cars, some upgrades are mandatory to be safe.