38Buick 80C

Are you a BCA Member  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a BCA Member

• Yes, and frequently visit and/or post
    • Yes, but infrequently visit and/or post
    • No, but frequently visit and/or post
    • No

OK I'm just curious more than anything. How many BCA Members use the forum and how many non-members are visit the Buick-General section too.

I'd just like to learn more, so please take a second to select a poll option above.

I'll keep the poll open until April 30th.

Edited by 38Buick 80C
noting the exact date the poll wil close. (see edit history)

Brian, I would like to think this is a fair poll but if I were not a BCA member, I would not participate. A paranoid person might think this is some way to get them to join or maybe tag them as non-BCA members. I know this is not something the BCA or you would do.

Maybe I watch too much TV but it appears everytime we get on our computer, someone, somewhere knows it and is compiling the data.

Good luck with the poll.

I dont know about polls, I am sure that some people say one thing and do another. I for one belong to the BCA and the AACA and I think the AACA does a good job in making the forums available. The way I look at it is that it costs nothing to belong to the fourms so you should have money left over to join the BCA and the AACA. There is a lot of free information here and everybody should be willing to provide some support for the clubs that make this possible

I am proud to belong to both.

Chuck Kerls

booreatta@cox.net

Brian, I would like to think this is a fair poll but if I were not a BCA member, I would not participate. A paranoid person might think this is some way to get them to join or maybe tag them as non-BCA members. I know this is not something the BCA or you would do.

Maybe I watch too much TV but it appears everytime we get on our computer, someone, somewhere knows it and is compiling the data.

Good luck with the poll.

Barney,

If there is a way for me to tell who picks "no" (or any other choice) in the poll section I am not aware of it. When I began the thread/poll, there seemed to be an option to select so that everyone to publically could see which way any voter voted. I didn't select that option.

Regardless if the result on non BCA members is off, at least the numbers on BCA members will be interesting to see.

Guest Caribou

Speaking personally, I think the idea of the BCA is great and wholeheartedly support it. Being Canadian though, I don't have a chapter and don't really understand the incentive to become a member.

I haven't been thrown off the forum for that... yet. :P

I suppose I might as well sign up here, and I probably would have long ago if I had a local chapter. I support this kind of group and am involved in similar groups in other fields that are local to my region.

Caribou......... funny that you are not a member because there is no local club.

I am sure Brian will have comments, but when you belong to the BCA you are eligible to attend any National or Regional event. For reference, both have been sponsored by local Chapters. If a local chapter anywhere has an event or show, they receive insurance coverage thru the National club and therefor you are welcome there as a BCA member.

We have many Canadian members that come to the US for BCA sanctioned events. With a little planning you can work them into your travels/vacation. The Bugle alone is worth the price of admission.

Speaking personally, I think the idea of the BCA is great and wholeheartedly support it. Being Canadian though, I don't have a chapter and don't really understand the incentive to become a member.

I suppose I might as well sign up here, and I probably would have long ago if I had a local chapter. I support this kind of group and am involved in similar groups in other fields that are local to my region.

Boy do I know what you are talking about. I belong to the BCA Chapter and we have 5 members but we are always working to get more. There is not a AACA chapter in Wichita Kansas and very few members but all I can say is I really enjoy getting the Buick Bugle every month and the AACA magazine every other month. There is a lot of great information in both magazines and If I didnt belong, I cant imagine what I would be missing. That alone is worth the price of membership. I would encourage anyone to join the BCA if they own a Buick. There is a lot of info in the Bugle that you cant get anywhere else. The fourm can olny do so much and the information sometimes is opinion rather than fact. I have found all 3 sources of info very valuable

Chuck Kerls

booreatta@cox.net

Brian,

Responding as one who frequently visits/posts but frequently is not defined. If I were to compare myself with Lamar or Bill (or any of the other "heavy hitters" I would not be at all frequent.

I purposely left that vague so people could decide themselves. Again this is strictly for my own curiosity so it doesn't really matter.

There has been talk of Canadian chapters before but it has never came to fruition. We'd certainly be open to it. Any group of ten BCA members can form a chapter. I would personally be glad to assist anyone interested with the details.

As for not being in the BCA I wasn't looking to make this a sales pitch to non-members, so I'll just say we'd love to have you if and when you decide it's the right time to join! :)

Caribou,

I understand your point about a local chapter. But, I find we often have the opposite problem. There are many BCA members in the US that do not belong to a local chapter, and I think a good number like the National, but may not share your interest in a local chapter. As Brian says it is not hard to start and maintain a chapter. So, if there is any interest in the anywhere contact the Regional Coordinator of your area, the National office or Brian (as he has stated). I would be glad to help anyone in the NE (we have two new chapters in the past year).

John

Yes!!!!!

AACA, BCA and ROA Member. I have attended meets from BCA and AACA. Each has it own personality which is good. Why belong to both if they are the same. Our AACA Chapter here in the Buffalo Area is very active. The BCA Chapter is trying like hell but it is always the same people but it gives everyone a chance to get together and talk Buicks on a Buickful Day. (Stole that one from JD) The ROA Chapter is virtually defunct.

That's enough from me, Brian.....GREAT JOB!

All three magazines are great in their own special way.

I applaud Brian for being proactive and putting up the poll. Whatever 'margin of error' that one can apply, this is good information to know to further mold the forum and general services the BCA can offer its members (presently and in the future).

I think the real concern is why aren't there more BCA members regularly on this forum? I understand some of the over 70 years of age generation is computer averse (some) but with a membership in the 7500 range, it would add greatly to the conversation if even 10% of members used the forum.

So, I am looking at the number of the BCA members voting in the poll as a snapshot indication of how many BCA members use the forum regularly since your poll is up for about a week.

I think the real concern is why aren't there more BCA members regularly on this forum? I understand some of the over 70 years of age generation is computer averse (some) but with a membership in the 7500 range, it would add greatly to the conversation if even 10% of members used the forum.

So, I am looking at the number of the BCA members voting in the poll as a snapshot indication of how many BCA members use the forum regularly since your poll is up for about a week.

While older folks tend to not be enticed by the electronic communication, I don't think thats the only factor. I know many members who aren't senior citizens that would be able to contribute regularly because of their knwledge but they just dont have interest in sitting in front of a computer using forums for various reasons. Its hard for us regulars to understand but its reality.

Thats why when I see a potential BCA or ROA member who thinks they can get all the info they need for free on the forum, I try to explain that a tiny fraction of knowledgable Buick people frequent the forum and that by becoming a member it provides a much greater number of technical resources to obtain assistence.

This tends to not be true with the mainstream classics like camaros and mustangs where there is a wealth of tech info online because the interest base in those models is so many time greater than Buicks.

I know many members who aren't senior citizens that would be able to contribute regularly because of their knwledge but they just dont have interest in sitting in front of a computer using forums for various reasons. Its hard for us regulars to understand but its reality.

Jason,

If I spent half the time in the garage as I do on these forums (AACA/V8Buick, etc) then I would have some completed cars by now so I see their logic.

I way over-use the forum as entertainment, drinking coffee or an adult beverage while going back and forth. I often wish I could go cold turkey.

So I get that part. I just wish we could get some more folks on here that have the interest in maybe 200 posts a year, something not crazy high like mine but just so they are visiting and hitting interesting topics or bringing up new ones.

Sometimes a really experienced member or serious collector will get on and I will check their post count and it's, like 15. And their join date is 7 years ago.

I'll throw in my tuppence.

I joined the BCA a couple weeks back, about 2 days after getting my buick. I'm going to my first local chapter "function" tomorrow -- breakfast, really.

The main reason why I came here was because I don't really know very much about keeping an old car, and I want to be a good steward to it. (It's getting out of the garage today, actually, with a host of engine & steering problems fixed.) Everyone here has been really helpful and very kind, and that's marvelous.

I don't plan on doing much to my car, other than keeping it in roughly the same state that it was in when it got out of the factory (the mileage is way different, obviously).

Oh, there are a few things that I'll probably change over time (like fuel injection), but by and large I'll have to depend on a lot of advice about all kinds of things -- upholstery, paint, all-things-mechanical, etc. I'm about to post a question about how to solve the radio problems without messing things up, actually.

Leaving myself & my car aside for a moment, I enjoy reading the other posts when I'm here, and I check in to see what activity has transpired. I find it interesting.

So there's my two coppers.

-- Randy

I am surprised at the low response numbers to be honest.

400 views (some double, triple, quadruple, etc views of the same individual surely) but only 60 answered the poll so far. Are their really that few of us on here? :eek: Even if the actual numbers of BCA members quadruples by the end of the poll, that's still like 220 BCA members out of 8000. WOW. Kinda disappointing so many are missing out on all the fun we have!

This may be straying from the original subject, but some of the comments made me look at the BCA Roster. There are 18 states without BCA Chapters. This includes Hawaii which has 4 BCA members.

There are a couple of areas, with connecting states that have no BCA Chapter coverage .... .Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, North & South Dakota, a huge area with a total of 111 BCA members. Granted if you live in Grand Forks ND and the Chapter was in Kemmerer Wyoming, you would need to stop overnight to get to the meeting.

Another area of states without BCA Chapter(s) is a little more supprising.... Oklahoma, Arkansas, Lousiana, & Mississippi with a total of 95 BCA members.

The question arises, if we had a BCA Chapter in Little Rock AK, would there be more BCA members? I suspect the answer is YES, but in these larger (by size) states, travel can be an issue. Example, Little Rock could draw Buick people from Memphis, but that is a distance of 130 miles. But the Memphis Buick owners would need to drive 211 miles to attend meeting at the existing Nashville Chapter.

Kentucky does not have a BCA Chapter, you would think that the Louisville/Lexington area could support a Chapter.

In rough numbers, about 5% of the BCA members live in a state without a Chapter. That is not the total percentage that does not belong to a chapter, and that is difficult to calculate.

Texas has 3 BCA Chapters, but if you live in El Paso (500,000 +) the New Mexico Chapter is closer than any of the Texas Chapters. Lubbock (200,000+) is mid- way between Dallas and Albuquerque, or about 350 miles to either.

This electronic forum gives all these remote Buick owners a way of keeping in touch. I would also encourage Buick owners out there in areas without BCA Chapters to consider organizing a new Chapter. Contact the BCA office and they will help you contact other BCA members in your area and give you guidance in forming a Chapter.

In rough numbers, about 5% of the BCA members live in a state without a Chapter. That is not the total percentage that does not belong to a chapter, and that is difficult to calculate.

From recent chapter surveys it appears roughly 60% of BCA members are not members of a BCA chapter (non-geographic Divisions are not included).

Back in 2009 I researched the biggest metropolitan areas in terms of population without chapters. They are (in no particular order)

Miami / South FL - An attempt to get chapter created about 3 years ago never got off the ground

Jacksonville, FL

Memphis, TN

El Paso, TX

Kentucky (Louisville / Lexington)

Oklahoma City

My feeling is that many on the forum are shying away from voting. It is always difficult to gage peoples feelings in a poll (politicians always seem to think they work, but I am not so sure). But, I too am surprised to see so few voting, as It times I think we have as many peopkle "viewing" the forum than have voted thus far. I know I check this thread at least once a day, and I am surprised that the number is not already in the 100s. I believe we have more people viewing some forums at any given time than have already voted. SO HOPEFULLY, THEY WILL STEP UP.

I too feel we need more local chapters, and i do not think they all have to be large with monthly major functions. Our local AACA club has a function (Speakers, shop visits, museums, collection, etc and even piano repair shop, one month) each and every month, so there is always that activity. But I like the BCA Chapter for Buick only gatherings, drives, shows , etc. and maybe brunches several times a year.

John

John

I just got back online after having some "old people" problems. I like the earlier comment about the combination of opinion and fact. I strive for that!

Regular people don't usually show an interest in Buicks until they are 40-50 years old, so after 15-20 years of happy ownership, collector status comes in the mid-fifties. Stereotypes come from somewhere and I do my best to live up to them even though I got into Buicks around 12. Luckily, I got into computers around 1974.

I am a member as well. Check out the number I got in 1978. 34 years down and 40 or so more to go.

Bernie

The only club I currently belong to is The Rivera Owner's Assoc.

I visit the BCA section here along with most all the others. I log in and hit the new posts icon and check all posts that interest me. I occasionally post comments in sections other than the ROA area as I am doing now since the topic seems to be an invitation to do so.

Edited by Sweepspear (see edit history)

Guest rsteere

Yes I belong to the BCA and the ROA. I don't belong to the local club. I use the website several times a week to check for parts wanted by me or others. Some of the other articles are interesting to get a feel for how the rest of the country is doing and the types of Buicks that are of interest.

According to Flattop I must be a strange one. I have belonged to the BCA for decades (#19286) and consider myself to still be a young man. My 2 sons are in there late 20's are both Buick nuts. Both of them had there first Buicks when they were 14/15 years old. Mine didn't come until I was 19. My little brother got hooked on one of my old Buicks when he was in his 20's and still has it along with a few more he had to have.

What I have discovered (opinion)is many of the younger people like Buicks they just don't know where to go for help. I tell them all about the website and the BCA if they want to join. There is a wealth of information here that can't ever be replaced. I figure people that drive Buicks have one up on the rest of the population, they know a good deal.

Randy

Guest Ric's62

I joined the BCA and started viewing the forums when i bought my special back in 2000, but didn't actually "join" the forum until years later. I love all the wisdom and mechanical knowledge here, but don't post much, because there's not much chatter with the '62 special/ skylarks. As everybody says, the bugle is worth the price of admission.

Well, I put myself down as an infrequent visitor...time / life situation forced me to think and wound up spending a lot less time on the computer. Once I build up my business and quit my day job (probably another year or so), I'll have more control over my time. Granted, I may not spend much more time here (although I do miss it), one of the goals will then be to set up a Manitoba chapter of the BCA. We have enough members...and that will give anyone from Grand Forks an option closer than the Twin Cities.

Yes I am a member and will be untill the next price increase. Than so long.

That was me at the last price increase. BTW, the Chrysler club requires WPC membership to enter a car at their National show but they will sell a one day membership for the show for $5. That encourages car entries and also introduces prospective new members to the club. BCA should explore that option..............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Bob,

Interesting comment. Do you know if that $5.00 gets them anything more then entry to the show and judging (or whatever option they chose). As you know the BCA is $20 for the same arrangment, but that includes "full participation" (hospitality, goodie bag, etc.) It would be good to know if they are doing that as a "loss leader" type deal. A $5.00 charge would mean some of the expenses would need to be borne by active full members, but is something to consider. I think what Bob is saying that BCA should consider lowering the $20 charge to $5, to possibly attract some new members.

We do know of one non-BCA person that drove from CT to Danvers last year and expected to get in on Saturday morning (without Registration), after Qual-check was completed and was not happy he was turned away. At least that is my understanding of the situation, so that situation can get messy also..

John

Not sure of all the details, John. The WPC club's Nats are in Fredrick, MD in July and I'll most likely take my 56 St Regis. I'm not a member but the flyer says no pre-register required and a 1 day $5 membership gets you the club newsletter for the remainder of the year. I thought a smart way to possibly snag a few new members for minimal cost. Oh yeah, FREE trailer parking on day of show............Just sayin...........Bob

Not sure of all the details, John. The WPC club's Nats are in Fredrick, MD in July and I'll most likely take my 56 St Regis. I'm not a member but the flyer says no pre-register required and a 1 day $5 membership gets you the club newsletter for the remainder of the year. I thought a smart way to possibly snag a few new members for minimal cost. Oh yeah, FREE trailer parking on day of show............Just sayin...........Bob

Bob,

Perhaps you can scan and upload the flyer. I checked their website and couldn't find that information. In fact it shows their National is in Kalamazoo, MI for 2012.

Regardless, I can say that $5 would not even cover the postage for 6 months of the Bugle, so not sure how they would make that pencil, but I guess it works for them, which is great that they can do that. If we were on calendar year dues instead of rolling dues, we would be able to probably offer a half year membership or something similar at the national meet, but with rolling dues you get 12 months from the date you join.

***I know your were referring to the AACA meet in Reading, PA with your trailer comment, but I wanted to clarify in case anyone misunderstood. The BCA National also has free trailer parking.

Also I don't for see any dues increases for the BCA in the near future unless inflation goes through the roof or the post office decides they want to charge significantly more.