What did you do to your classic today?

Guest Guest

Good for you, John. Changed the plug wires to their proper plugs?? Sounds like a story here someplace.

Ben

Only a very short story. The guy I am working on cars with pulled the wires all off of without noticing which went where. When they went back on they were one hole off of correct. I wondered why it did not even sputter. Checked 'em, fixed 'em and off it fired!

Today I did nothing on my cars but I did go to a Car Show and swap meet put on by the Northeast Texas Region in Greenville, TX. My first time attending, it was a nice show and swap, plenty to see but not so big you couldn't see it all. Pretty good mix of stock and modified cars, some nice cars for sale in the corral. I even found some stuff for my Lincoln so I guess I did do something for my classic. I took a few pictures, most are for the restoration crowd but the last three are of a 50 Ford coupe sectioned and built around the guts of a 95 Taurus SHO with the Yamaha engine and front wheel drive. Sacrilege to some but I thought it was well done and definitely different from the usual SBC.

post-51036-143138918942_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143138918946_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143138918949_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143138918953_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143138918956_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143138918959_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143138918962_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143138918966_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143138918969_thumb.jpg

I took a few pictures, most are for the restoration crowd but the last three are of a 50 Ford coupe sectioned and built around the guts of a 95 Taurus SHO with the Yamaha engine and front wheel drive. Sacrilege to some but I thought it was well done and definitely different from the usual SBC.

It probably is sacrilege but it does look very well done, and at least they didn't just drop a small block chevy in it. Grill looks like it probably started life as a 1951. I wouldn't kick it out of my garage as a driver.

I did the final painting on my rear fenders for my '41 Roadmaster this afternoon and evening. The clear is still soft, but they look fabulous!

Yesterday we got most of the front clip on, and the it starts to look like a real car again!

Incidentally, by "we", that was the whole family, my wife, 19 yr old daughter, and 11 yr old son and participated in the assembly.

Keith

Busy day on the convertible. Found some soft spots on the bottom of the door and repaired rocker panels. Welding skills are definately getting better. Also finally uploaded the picture of the "fat-bottom girl" with her skirt being fitted. Figured that now was better for fitting, than later after all was painted. Each day I have a chance to work on her, she's closer to paint! I can't help but get excited.:D Matt

post-72076-143138920026_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138920034_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138920043_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138920051_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138920058_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138920066_thumb.jpg

Edited by jackofalltrades70 (see edit history)

Well,

The fact that I just finished my winter restoration project my first concern was to get on the road and to see how the 81 y.o car is running.

At every stop light a lot of questions along with compliments.

A couple of nice pictures taken and happy to be outside in a company of a great piece of history.

Hope to put some miles on and to enjoy the driving throughout this summer

Guest Paul Christ
Some pics

Beautiful car George!

I see you're in PA, is there a story behind the European tags on the car?

Paul

Checked on my 1937 Buick-41 at Penn Dutch restorations. They have the front nose off and the radiator out and are sorting things out for a driver restoration. Want to drive to the BCA meet in

Concord NC. at end of June.

Larry

Hi Paul,

Thank you,my father in the late '50 wanted a Dodge and liked them very much ...but he never could get one, he leaved behind the eastern block and some how I made his wish come true.A little bit to late for him to see it but hope that from where he is ..he can smile.

I will post a picture with my PA.tag as well.

By the way I have some beautiful Motorcycles from 1938,39 German made I will post some pics.And they have a great history some of them where at the gate of Stalingrad WW2

George

Edited by GEORGE DANCIU (see edit history)

HA! Matt Started it.. So OK—Here I go for my “what am I working on today” report..

This one is for Matt, I began by working on one of the 1929 Cadillac engines. It is getting a complete rebuild. I have the crankcase all cleaned up and am ready to start putting parts back in it. BUT since the machine shop has not finished balancing parts, I went over to the 1929 Packard to fix the rear pinion leak. I want to upgrade the seal to a double lip style instead of the felt, so I am searching the books to see if I can come up with a decent seal to use. The yoke went out to be machined and hard chromed.

So on to the next task, the 1922 American LaFrance starter! Thanks to Jim at Special Interest Autos, I have the brushes and Bendix spring. I had already worked with my machinist to make up a new end plate, so I can build the starter now. Meanwhile, I had to check with the painter to see the progress on the 25 Packard project. Good that I did! I had to show him what I wanted done to the doors and hardware before he finished the metalwork. And that reminded me I needed to make some calls to continue the search for the COMPLETE OIL RECTIFIER system I need for the 2nd series Packard engine. ANYONE?

Then back here to the office to look at the Pierce Arrow cowl lamps I am trying to repair and add parts to my list I am making to take with them to the Annual Horseless Carriage Club Swap Meet in Bakersfield, Ca.

BUT – MATT Got me sidetracked here adding this message to the board…

HA! It is all you fault Matt!

post-46235-143138922742_thumb.jpg

post-46235-143138922767_thumb.jpg

post-46235-143138922789_thumb.jpg

post-46235-143138922812_thumb.jpg

post-46235-143138922835_thumb.jpg

HA! Matt Started it.. So OK—Here I go for my “what am I working on today” report..

This one is for Matt, I began by working on one of the 1929 Cadillac engines. It is getting a complete rebuild. I have the crankcase all cleaned up and am ready to start putting parts back in it. BUT since the machine shop has not finished balancing parts, I went over to the 1929 Packard to fix the rear pinion leak. I want to upgrade the seal to a double lip style instead of the felt, so I am searching the books to see if I can come up with a decent seal to use. The yoke went out to be machined and hard chromed.

So on to the next task, the 1922 American LaFrance starter! Thanks to Jim at Special Interest Autos, I have the brushes and Bendix spring. I had already worked with my machinist to make up a new end plate, so I can build the starter now. Meanwhile, I had to check with the painter to see the progress on the 25 Packard project. Good that I did! I had to show him what I wanted done to the doors and hardware before he finished the metalwork. And that reminded me I needed to make some calls to continue the search for the COMPLETE OIL RECTIFIER system I need for the 2nd series Packard engine. ANYONE?

Then back here to the office to look at the Pierce Arrow cowl lamps I am trying to repair and add parts to my list I am making to take with them to the Annual Horseless Carriage Club Swap Meet in Bakersfield, Ca.

BUT – MATT Got me sidetracked here adding this message to the board…

HA! It is all you fault Matt!

I'm so glad I was able to sidetrack you! Nice pictures and some very exciting projects you have there! I'm here to help, when needed! Ha!

Got my new cowl insulator set today. Gotta finish the hydraulic lines tomorrow so I can get the insulator installed. Wiring harness is up for final wrapping tomorrow and should ship to me before the weekend!

Matt:D

Well, The Boss 302s engine compartment is torn apart, detailing and cleaning in preperation for the upcoming Grand National in June'

Also our region had our first monthy car cruise tonight. It sure felt good to get back doing car events again with our car friends. Drove our new 1985 Corvette tonight. The first time it's been out to an event. We had a Great time.

Edited by dbirchmire (see edit history)

Wow, the '29 Cadillac crankcase is an absolutely lovely casting. Mine is a little dirty and grungy, but it's cool to know it looks like that underneath.

Thanks for all the advice you've been offering me, Rod. I'm sure there will be more questions, but your information has been invaluable for getting my car into top shape! I did tweak the the air adjustment valve on the front of the carburetor and it seems to have settled some of the tendency to surge. The exhaust still makes a chug-chug-chug sound instead of a smooth hum, but others I've spoken with say this is about the best I can expect given the limitations of the carburetor's design. And THEY ALL run rich is what I'm hearing, so perhaps my sooty spark plugs are not an anomaly after all.

Keep us posted on the rebuild--I want to see all the parts!

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

Drove "Doug" the '60 Bug over to a cool local old car repair shop "Open House" gathering yesterday (Sat. 4/14) in Westbrook, CT, ref: http://home.comcast.net/~shorelinesteve/CardoneAndDaughterAutoOpenShopFlyer14April2012.pdf

Then stopped by the historic Town Green in Guilford, CT, where I managed a couple of photo-ops:

60VWGlfdGrn14Apr2012B1k.JPG

60VWGlfdGrn14Apr2012D1k.JPG

Sure was a beautiful day to be out and about in Southern Connecticut with an old car...

Today looks to be "more of the same"--nice job by Mother Nature!

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

Got the car out this morning to go get a cup of coffee and on the way to the restaurant, I had a little dashboard fire. Just when I thought I was ready to tour......note to self....do NOT grab hot wires without some insulation.

post-37352-143138927228_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Got the car out this morning to go get a cup of coffee and on the way to the restaurant, I had a little dashboard fire. Just when I thought I was ready to tour......note to self....do NOT grab hot wires without some insulation.

Ouch...been there, done that. Hopefully no serious damage?

Ouch...been there, done that. Hopefully no serious damage?

So far only two wires burned. One is from the coil to the distributor and one is from the alternate fuel pump switch to the coil. The latter wire was lying on the oil pressure instrument line. When that burned, the solder from the oil line melted and got all over my shoe, the car floor and the side of the engine. Now I need two wires and an oil line.

Last week I rebuilt the weird spark plug on my one-lung Cadillac, rerouted the bulb horn tubing, cleaned and lubricated the car. Today I drove it 32 mostly rural miles round trip to the new Cars and Croissants venue, where I saw plenty of eye candy. A '60s DeSoto hard top still with its original owner, a woman who took it to her first prom. A Fiat cinquecento, a TR6, an Austin Healey, a fabulous supercharged MG with the carburetor and blower mounted in front of the radiator. A new four-seat (real back seats!) Maserati rag top. Wall-to-wall Ferraris. Good weather. Good people. Good day.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Been very busy on the convertible......Got the new firewall insulator I ordered from Bob's. gotta finish the hydraulic lines so I can install it. Still waiting for the wiring harness..........................

Dunno how I did it, but I put the front clip on myself. I waited and waited but never had any help show up. Matt:D

post-72076-143138928974_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138928983_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138928991_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138928998_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138929007_thumb.jpg

O.K.....it was yesterday, but took the car to the alignment rack, fixed a bunch of mistakes that the previous owner had done and took the car for a REALLY nice and smooth ride down the highway. It tracks beautifully! The previous owner(s) of the car had shims between the axle and springs. That's all well and good except for the fact that the shims were too thick and the spring center alignment pins did not mate up with the axle holes. Brought a whole new meaning to the term "floating axle"! Filled the shock absorbers/dampeners, balanced the wire wheels and lubed the whole thing. No more death wobble or bump steer. Looks like I will be ready to cruise on our local car club event on Sunday. YIPPEE!!!!

Guest Kingoftheroad

Washed the wheels & hubcaps on my 64, trying to get a little more life out those old whitewalls...lol

Now I'm thinking its time to take something apart, room for improvement.... Lots of little things to do yet...:)