What did you do to your classic today?

Guest Guest

Hey Steve, while no where near as ambitious as Mrs. Stock Steve's work on the Ghia, last night I went out to the garage "for maybe ten minutes" to pull together some aging brake fluid, etc. for our annual "Hazardous Waste" collection - well, somehow I got to thinking, wouldn't it be a good time to put a second coat of wax on the SL... :D

That's got to be one shiny SL, Steve. Have you posted any pictures of it anywhere yet?

What's your wax of choice for it, by the way? I remember my wife used to use "nothing by Zymol" when she got her brand-new black VW Corrado back in 1990.

Hey Steve, using McGuiars (sp?) mainly but admit to having way more different cleaners and waxes than necessary, but I have seen folks waste a lot of money on worse things... :) I thought there was a thread here on spring cleanup technique and different care products but I could be mistaken. Once every few years I like to re-read Mike Antonick's Secrets of the Show Cars which has a lot of good detailing tricks in it.

Here is the MB, all original paint, interior, etc. We were pleased to find the interior cleaned up well, there is some cracking in the armrest leather and a crack or two on one of the burlwood console pieces but I am not sure if that is just the finish or the wood itself. MB numbers all of the body panels, which all match so we are pretty confident it has never been hit but it did require a major clean up in areas like the door jambs, etc. Sometimes crud can be a decent layer of protection over the years! :D

post-50141-143139118192_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Meguiars is good stuff--no argument here. I've been using their "Tech Wax" on our driver cars in recent years and it seems to perform well (though I also admit I am not a scientific evaluator of stuff like wax in general--mostly just try to buy decent brand names).

Wow-wee, all original and never-been-hit--can't beat that! And what a pretty car! And in a great color! Good for you!

Would that happen to be Route 17 in Durham in the background?

At this end, my "tales of woe" regarding the running issues with the gnarly project '69 Bug *may* be coming to an end, based upon my limited neighborhood-area test-driving yesterday afternoon, with the new carb, distributor, and wires installed and adjusted (never got around to plugs, but they're coming as soon as I find the time--and also an oil change). I snapped a couple of pictures right after I got back from the little test drive, to "show off" (ha ha!) the current engine compartment configuration, and also a view of the car sitting in one of the "prime spots" at the garage door opening, next to my wife's '73 Super Beetle (the nice looking one with the rich yellow paint job on the left).

post-34222-143139118568_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143139118578_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143139118644_thumb.jpg

P.S.: A new vanity EA plate for the '69 is in the works--hoping DMV gives me my first choice... "OLDIE" was used on my (former) '68 Bug for several years, and then I just transferred it over to the '69. But now that I've "lived with" the car for a few years now, and experienced its "aura," I was inspired to get something more specific and appropriate. Not going to spill the beans for now on the new vanity plate idea, but will show it off, with explanation, once it arrives...

Edited by stock_steve
to re-arrange the photos a bit, and also comment on vanity plates (see edit history)

Glad to hear of your swap meet find, Steve! Again, it was fun seeing you and The Mrs. at the show! I will track down an "as-received" photo of the Ghia next chance I get and post it--it was quite a visual transformation. Luckily the car spent all its previous life in California, though, so we did not have *rust* to deal with--which is never a good situation when it comes to early Ghias...

Tracked down a seller's photo of the '63 Ghia, circa 2009 or so, resplendant in its (unfortunate) faded metallic dark blue repaint...

post-34222-143139118647_thumb.jpg

And here it is getting unloaded from the truck, at the "T/A" truck stop right by Interstate 95, Exit 56, in Branford, CT. The date was March 1, 2009. "And the rest," as they say, "is history"...

post-34222-143139118665_thumb.jpg

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

Guest GeorgeCagle

I have a rust problem in my gas tank on the '37 Studebaker. It caused my fuel filter to stop up a few weeks ago. I pulled the tank and using a water hose I removed about a pint of what looked like coffee grounds. The tank is now full of a molasses bath mixture and I will let it soak for a few days. I have used the molasses bath for derusting many times and it works great. I will use a rust converter later and then plan to keep the tank full so rust will not easily reform.

I also replaced the "rubber" fuel lines on my TR3A to make it more compatible with this cheap gas we now have.

I've been working on bringing this 98% original 1941 Cadillac 60 Special I bought two months ago back to life. As far as I can tell, all it has ever had is tires, exhaust, battery, belts, hoses, and maybe plugs. The first thing I did, even before they were done pulling it off the trailer, was to remove the seat covers that have been on since April of 1941. I discovered a gorgeous original interior that's in amazing condition. I took a bit of a gamble without ever seeing the upholstery, but I'm pleased it paid off.

Two weeks ago we did a light wet sand and buff to revitalize the original Antoinette Blue paint. It looks black, but it's definitely dark, dark blue, and while it's a bit thin in a spots and shows some signs of use, it shined up remarkably well. I might repaint the passenger's side fender skirt, which has some touch-ups that are fairly noticeable, but since it's original, I'm not sure I should.

Then just last week I added a set of fresh wide whites. Voila! Instant heart-breaker. Seriously, none of you blackwall tire guys can argue that this car doesn't look about a zillion times better with wide whites, can you? What a difference!

Better yet, with a fresh fuel pump, it starts instantly, idles almost silently, and drives like a million bucks. I'm so impressed by how well it goes down the road. No wonder the CCCA guys love these cars for touring. I'm extremely pleased with the results on this one. If I still own it in October, I'm planning on driving it to Hershey for HPOF competition. Hydramatic all the way!

post-31138-143139118714_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139118716_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14313911872_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139118743_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139118768_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139118772_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139118775_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139118778_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139118779_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139118849_thumb.jpg

Stock Steve, that is indeed Ken M's lot on 17 - aye, a sharp eye he has that one... ;) I took Ken's winter project away as he wanted to take the SL home to clean it himself, he has had some very interesting older MB over the years, although the last time we spoke he was looking for "something different" for a personal project...

Matt, +1 on the WWW on the Caddy - it really dresses the car. Glad it has cleaned up so well for you. Really the way to find them if you can...

George yes, now that summer is in full swing the Ethanol woes seem to be rearing their ugly head...

Guest bofusmosby

Matt

That car looks unbelievable! The original seats look brand new! Oh, and BTW, I too thini that the wide whites gives the car more class.

Unfortunately, I have barely had my cars out of the garage this year. Haven't been to any car shows although there is a local one coming up Sunday that I might go to, depending on the weather. I have washed, cleaned and serviced them but I've only put about 40 miles on the LTD and maybe 20 on the Buick. The LTD is still running on the last tank of gas I put in on the way home from Hershey last year and I don't remember when I last put gas in the Buick.

Speaking of classics, What a week this has been. A 1918 Stutz roadster on Monday, A 1925 Cunninham on Tuesday. A 1929 Pierce Arrow on Wednesday. A Caterpillar 215 Excavator today..... And tomorow, A brake job on a Ford truck. how can a week get better than that! LOL... Dandy Dave!

Guest Kingoftheroad
Matt;

That car looks amazing, the wide whites set it off so well, and those seats are fabulous!

Keith

I agree, between buffing the paint & the new white walls, it looks great !!

First of all, let me add to the chorus regarding Matt Harwood's exciting updates on that wonderful original 41 Cadillac. Whatta car! I agree that the wide whites are postively perfect also!

Speaking of whitewalls, my skinny-whitewall (3/4") tires arrived yesterday from Universal Tires in Hershey (via super-quick FedEx ground shipping--I only ordered them the previous afternoon). They are going to be used on the gnarly project '69 Bug that I have been working on lately. I realize that the car needs tons of cosmetic help, and fresh new tires are probably overkill *at this point,* but I'm kind of a wheels & tires enthusiast, and so I couldn't help myself! They're 165R15 radials, "American Classic" brand, and so not *totally* correct for a 1969 Bug, which probably would've had 5.60x15 bias plys originally--but I really like these tires, having put a lot of miles on another set that are on my '70 Bug, and the '69's most certainly going to be a *driver* (as opposed to show car).

A couple of other things influenced me toward getting the whitewalls. One was getting the car's "birth certificate" from the Stiftung AutoMuseum Volkswagen </SPAN>(they provide this service for a small fee; you provide them with your car's VIN), and finding out that the car was originally delivered wtih "M128 White wall tires</SPAN>" (under the "Extras/Options" heading on the birth certificate).

As for the car's actual birth date, the certificate states: "It was produced on 23 August 1968, in Osnabrueck, Germany, and left the factory as 'model year 1969'..." - which also means that the car will be turning 44 years of age later this month.

And the second thing that led to my going for the ww's was seeing this very cool photo (see below & click on it to enlarge) received via an internet contact in Europe, showing the Karmann production line in Osnabrück. The date of the photo was not identified, but was theorized to possibly be from around 1969 or so, with some of the evidence being the line of Porsche 914s in the background (Wikipedia states that the 914 was introduced in 1969). I also noticed that the Bug Convertibles have the smaller pre-1970 front turn signals (they got a lot bigger for the '70 model year). But also noticeable is the skinny whitewalls on the Bug Convertibles and Karmann Ghias--on single-color black wheels--they would also get a shiny slotted trim ring that was held on by the hub cap, so there was no need for two-tone black & white wheels like Bug Sedans up thru '69 got. And, so, yes, I also already have a set of wheels that I refinished in black, onto which the new ww's will be installed.

Happy Friday!

post-34222-143139119954_thumb.jpg

Edited by stock_steve
a bit of clarification amd also to fix a typo (see edit history)

Warmed up the old '31 to see if I could get it to cough and die like it did earlier on the road before I pull the carburetor off and open it up. Mmmmmm.....didn't do it. I guess I will have to test drive it again......

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Brought four brand new 165R15 tires, plus one good used bias ply to keep in the car as a spare, plus five nicely gloss black painted stock 4" wide Bug wheels to the local garage yesterday for mounting and spin balancing. Probably pick 'em up this coming week.

Photo before I brought everything to the garage:

post-34222-143139122178_thumb.jpg

Edited by stock_steve
clarification (see edit history)

Nice tires, Steve. Picked the hottest, steamiest weekend of summer to clean the garage - 8+ hours each day, I can now see my workbench, and am working very hard to convince my wife we do indeed have the room for another car now... :D

Nice tires, Steve. Picked the hottest, steamiest weekend of summer to clean the garage - 8+ hours each day, I can now see my workbench, and am working very hard to convince my wife we do indeed have the room for another car now... :D

Oh Boy! Nice job, Steve!

I'm sure you sweat a ton--what oppressive weather this past weekend in Connecticut!

Potential space now for another car... as Arte Johnson used to say on Laugh-In: "Verrrry Interrrresting..."

post-34222-143139123097_thumb.jpg

BTW, our mutual friend Bill from Glastonbury (the black '63 Sunroof Bug driver) says he has a nice red '65 Bug that could conceivably fit nicely into small recovered garage spaces...

Edited by stock_steve
Added additional comment... (see edit history)

Not easy having to work a full-time job, and then also have kids who require all sorts of driving-around to and from various activities...leaving little time to accompish important old car project progress...

Amidst it all, though, I got two of the four new sneakers onto the '69 Bug yesterday evening, and adjusted the clutch too, while I had the left rear wheel off...

Hopefully a few free minutes this evening to get the other two mounted up...

Also still need to check the stock of used hubcaps to see what I might have available in the way of semi-dented ones (the balance most likely being "really" dented)...

Also got kool new CT vanity plate for the car two days ago--will effort a photo of that also, next chance I get...

Finally, one of the two big-time VW enthusiast events that happen every summer in the northwestern part of Connecticut is coming up this Sunday (8/12), in Terryville, CT, and so there exists the possibility that I may be able to drive the project '69 Bug up there to take a bit of it in--might make a good shakedown run...

Happy Thursday!

Planning a few days, this Fall, when North Carolina isn't 120 percent humidity, as to when, (what date), to spray a coat of 2 part epoxy primer and 24 hours later a coat or two of 2K sealer.

BODY OFF chassis. Waiting on the weather. Radiator shell will be shipped to Qual Chrome, tomorrow.

Bill H

New w.w. radials on refinished wheels finally onto the car as of this past weekend, along with best four used hubcaps I could find in my stock, and new repro trim rings. Also fitted new CT vanity plate (in addition to the obvious image of a creaky old car, I also live in the Stony Creek section of Branford, so a bit of a double meaning), and AACA "MAP" badge too. Even drove the car to work today--which showed me that I still have more adjusting to do, toward getting it to really run right. But still a ton of fun!

Photo below is from yesterday:

post-34222-143139130817_thumb.jpg

Maybe a POST LADY..........................lets be fair, hehehe.

Dale

Actually, I pick up my mail from the post office, so there are four postladies there and a postman. Since my town here and post office are so small, they also put my letters and packages in my p.o.box even if the address is missing or wrong!

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Just got around blocking off my heat riser on my 1925-25. Am trying everything possible to combat the overheating. I made a plug for the exhaust butterfly port, Bought a sheet of high temp metal composite gasket material from NAPA. $10.00. Made up gaskets for top of riser to intake manifold, which looked to be in bad shape. The exhaust port to heat riser without the hole. Also cut a copper plate to go on the heat riser side. Had some .032 copper around and was real easy to cut. As you can see from the photos the side riser to exhaust manifold gasket was leaking. The carb gasket was paper type instead of the high temp copper. After work today I reinstalled all. Tried to start but "Beuhla" was not cooperating. Found that the electric fuel pump not pumping!(I have to install that vacuum tank)! Replaced another leaking piece of hose to the regulator. Now she has fuel!! Started right up and she seems to be running smoother and will idle down better. The manifold to head nuts needed to be tightened also. After about 10 min of running the intake manifold was barely warm. Before, after less than several min you couldn't touch it. While all that structure was off I decided to scrub down that side of the engine and paint it Buick green. Much better than the Model"A" turquoise that was on it. I will try a drive tomorrow and see what happpens. 150180d1345172883t-blocking-off-heat-riser-ok-dscf1770-1024x768-.jpg150179d1345172881t-blocking-off-heat-riser-ok-dscf1769-1024x768-.jpg150177d1345172876t-blocking-off-heat-riser-ok-dscf1767-1024x768-.jpg150176d1345172874t-blocking-off-heat-riser-ok-dscf1766-1024x768-.jpg150178d1345172879t-blocking-off-heat-riser-ok-dscf1768-1024x768-.jpg<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

It FINALLY "cooled off" to 98 degrees here today, so I was able to get back to the fuel problem on my 1931 Dodge coupe. I turned the key on, hit the "ON" for the electric fuel pump and heard the usual low "DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD" from the pump. Mmmm.....it used to stop when the fuel line and filters were partially filled with gas.....not today. Replaced the fuel pump and took it for a long ride. Then I took it for a longer ride. Then I put $20.00 worth of fresh regular gas in it for tomorrow's old car tour. It will be our annual "poker run and picnic in the park" tour that my wife and I put on for our little old car club here in Phoenix, Oregon. I will keep you informed as to how it went. Wish me luck.

post-37352-143139137731_thumb.jpg

JUST ONE OF THOSE DAYS

Well, with the best of intentions to start the Whippet Saturday afternoon for a show on Sunday I had to get the 1952 F1 started and out of the way first as the 1958 Buick is beside the truck up on stands waiting for a complete brake job and the Whippet is in the back (As George Carlin used to say, A bigger place is for MORE STUFF, so a bigger garage can be a curse for me?)

After charging the truck battery (6V) for the night I hop in, turn the key and press the starter button. Turns over really slow thinking I might have to boost it. Hook up the battery out of the 1920 Overland with ever so slight more speed but..... dump a bit of gas down the carb and with only one slight attempt to fire just cranks and cranks. Thinking I've flooded it, stop, let it sit for 15 minutes and start checking things, connections, wires etc. Clean the battery quick disconnect (not really bad), put a wrench on the other cable (not loose) and jump back in the cab. No choke, cranks.... no fire. Half choke, cranks...... no fire. My Son comes by and we pull plug wire off no 1 and check for spark. No problem, plenty of spark. Hop back in (after straightening out my back from bending under the hood) crank and crank till I see smoke coming from under the hood and that smell of burning rubber! It's the battery cable going to the starter solenoid on the firewall. What??? Find the post is a bit loose so put a wrench on it and turn on the battery disconnect only to see sparks and more smoke! Naturally have to change that out and start to look for my spare truck parts (that bigger space more stuff thing). Having no luck with that find (and less and less patients) call on a fellow car club member and yes he has another 6V solenoid. Drive over and he says, try it and we'll settle later. Back to the garage, hook it up and now the started button won't work! Jump the solenoid and she cranks but still no life. Decide to pull a plug or two and........ Holy, Holy! I knew the old flathead blue a bit of oil but...... no wonder there was no attempt to start! Now to look for spare plugs???? See where this is going?

So........ off to my local parts store this morning and see if by chance they have a few things or not. I'm figuring the way things have been going that my College Alumni Car Show will find me as a spectator only today.

I love my cars but....... are we having fun yet? ha ha.

Dusted my '65 Corvette off after lunch yesterday, while trying to get her started. I had not driven this car since April, and since it is fuel injected, it does not like to start the first time after prolonged sitting periods. I'd crank a while and wait a while, crank a while, wait a while. After 4 cranking sessions, I got the old screw driver out and removed the intake hose. I poured a little gasoline into the intake, quicky got inside and cranked once more, she lit right up. Darn! I was aggravated that I had burned the battery down that far before pre-fueling the 327!

Reinstalling the intake hose, and moving out outside the rented garage, we took off for a 40 mile trip down to the small town of Reedville, Virginia where the Northern Neck Region was having it's annual picnic. First, I stopped at the local gas station, filled the tank up and added a whole bottle of Seabrezze additive. Needless to say, this car has a little stumble off-power. (the worse thing in the world to do with your antique car.....not drive it)

Well, the rest of the day was uneventful, although I was late for lunch and all of the chicken was gone...DARN!:(

I drove her back home, and it sat outside overnight, the first time in ages. I will be driving to Richmond Virginia today to take in one of Mike's guitar gigs at a local restaurant. All together I will have driven her about 150 miles this weekend, hopefully burning all of the old gas out of the tank. A real shame, I don't drive this car more. A club member yesterday suggested I hire a teenager to keep her loose.

Ummmmm, teenager? I remember those days! :confused:

Nope, it won't be a teenager! :D

Wayne

post-31395-143139138404_thumb.jpg

Edited by R W Burgess
Incorrect Year Model-Thanks Dale! (see edit history)

Went out this morning to try to figure out why my '31 dies. Thinking that the problem might be a loose piece of flaky rust, I removed the DRT-08 carburetor, took of the bowl and cleaned it out a bit. No real sign of crud. Put it back together and re-mounted it. For some reason, the choke cable was kinked or on wrong and I could not get it to work freely. Pushed a little too hard and the whole cable fell apart. The crimping came loose and the spiral cable cover slid out of the handle base. Tried to fix that and got the car running again. It ran really rough and when I went to look at the carburetor to see what was going on, fuel was pouring out of the air cleaner hole!! I will be riding in my wife's 1997 Buick Skylark on the old car club tour today.......she will be driving and I will be handing out playing cards on the annual poker run. I am giving up on the '31 for today.