What did you do to your classic today?

Guest Guest

Probably last photo of "Doug" the '60 Bug for a little while, as I've switched him to a less-accessible spot just this week, so that I can drag the '70 Bug out for a bit more winter driving (hopefully, that is), while the roads still remain clear & salt/sand-free here in Southern Connecticut.

This photo was from last Saturday (1/7/2012), when I drove Doug over to the center of Guilford again for some errands:

60VW7Jan2012Drvg1k.JPG

Something about being able to get behind the wheel of an old car from time to time for a little driving... spiritual renewal...

I walked by mine in the dark, to get my generator out in the early hours of the morning. We lost power for a couple of hours from the wind/snow storm that roared in last night. Oh then I walked by them again to put the generator away later in the morning.

Turned the heat on in garage this morning to hopefully get some bits back together on my '41 McLaughlin Buick coupe, got some work done, but then other stuff got in the way, and I didn't get as much done as I hoped! As usual!!

Getting very cold tonight, so I'm going to work on some of the interior parts in the basement tomorrow rather than heat the garage.

Keith

Guest kansheib

Today I dropped off all of the chrome at a plating shop to get prices.

Now, having heart palpitations waiting to hear what the price will be for every piece of chrome off my 57 Special convertible, some in excellent condition, but some that will require some serious repairs.

Anyone care to venture a guess at the final cost?

Being in Alberta Canada I believe that the price will shock some of my American friends and fellow car buffs.

I will post the estimate if I survive the sticker shock :)

Picked up another wiper motor for my 55 sunliner and going to check it out by hooking it up to my 65 galaxie today to see if it works,if its good it will probably be spring before it goes in the 55. The 65 has a vacumn line thats easy to get to for checking and its easier to get to then the 55 right now.

So happy to have been able to get the '70 Bug out for some local pleasure driving today (Saturday, January 14, 2012), to take advantage of more of this unusually clear January here in Connecticut. Didn't realize how much I missed being able to drive it!

Here's a sample shot down by the water at Stony Creek village (section of town at the very southeastern-most corner of Branford, CT), around mid-day today:

70VW14Jan12SCFr1k.JPG

Drove the 66 Mustang convert over to look at another one that is for sale.. Well, just how many Mustang converts does anyone need??? Well, how many colors did they come in? Then back home I Test drove the 57 Buick after I finished up inspecting and detailing it. Pulled out the 49 Dodge pickup and put in the new speedometer, then drove it around the valley. Back home I looked at the 41 Cadillac sitting outside and figured I best wash it and put it away. Then drove the 51 DeSoto to play with the fluid drive M6 shift problem. Then finished off the day by working on the restoration of my wife's 61 Rambler American Convertible.

Guest Jim_Edwards

Gave the whitewalls on the '78 Lincoln a cleaning with a bit of Bleach White, which really doesn't work that much better than a good household spray cleaner or Dow foaming bathroom cleaner. Next planned task on that car is sealing the edges of the half vinyl roof with silicone sealant and then the top itself with a UV resistant flexible clear coating.

Those half vinyl roofs look good on some cars but are a real pain to seal up so trapped moisture will not eventually present major rust issues on the roof, "C" pillars, and below the rear window.

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

Guest Jim_Edwards
Jim, try mineral spirits. It will melt off the yellow layer of white rubber leaving a pristine surface below.

The whites were not yellowed, just had a coat of road grime from being driven. I believe in driving our vintage cars as frequently as opportunity permits and that means the whites are going to get dirty, especially following a rain.

Since I acquired that '78 Lincoln I've made it a part time daily driver. Love the ride and particularly the seats that give adequate leg support unlike most cars produced after 1980 and certainly after 1990. The seats in the typical car today are not made for anyone over about 5' 6" tall, but then you know that far better than I as tall as you are.

• 2 weeks later...

Mostly just idled around the driveway yesterday (Sunday, January 22, 2012), after I got myself shoveled out from the previous day's snowstorm (note the snowbound '92 Taurus in the background). I have a healthy respect for what salt does to old car bodies, and so I'm going to have to wait now for some more rain to come and wash the roads down a bit (possibly coming this week, combined with some possibly continued relatively mild temps), so that I can actually get out for another pleasure drive with the '70 Bug...

70VWRr22Jan121k.JPG

Edited by stock_steve
correct a spelling mistake (as usual) (see edit history)

I was scheduled to meet one of the newly-elected HCCA directors for lunch, so he could learn from my vast experience (one whole year's worth!) as a director. He lives in PA, I live in NJ, and we agreed to meet at a Thai restaurant in Flemington. It was a crisp, cool day, so I put on the snowmobile suit and drove the '13 T. It was 40 degrees when I left at noon and 38 degrees when I got home at 4:45. Vermont beer, Thai food, good company, and 56 miles (including 4 on dirt roads) in a brass T with the windshield down and a breeze in my face. What's not to like?

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

With the snow flying in upstate NY. Opened up the garage. 1 pump of the pedal and fired up the 1936 Pontiac Deluxe 8. Let her get up to temperature. Then quietly tucked her back away for a couple more months before this white stuff finally goes for the season.

Soon to take the carb off and rebuild it with a NOS kit. Hoping it is as easy as they say.

Guest bofusmosby

Soon to take the carb off and rebuild it with a NOS kit. Hoping it is as easy as they say.

Keep in mind that the new gas today will probably play havoc with the old rebuild parts you will be using on your carb.

Guest Jim_Edwards
What rebuild kit would you recommend?

One that is "fresh" stock. Or better yet send it to one of the Carburetor rebuild guys that are members here. That way you'll know you are getting as close to Ethanol immune as possible.

Hoping to get a bit more put back together on my '41 Roadmaster tonight. Nearly ready to get it running again, hopefully it will be soon.

Nice and mild here in Southern Ontario (about 50 F), and almost all the snow from last night is already gone! So I don't need the heat up too high in the garage.

Keith

still being new...where do I look to find the guys that can help out with the rebuild.

My appreciation is greatly appreciated.

You may want to check out the Pontiac boards - from the AACA home page scroll down till you see the Pontiac Boards.

Good Luck,

John V.

I've been taking advantage of the wonderful weather the last few weeks to work on my '58 Super.

Removed and cleaned out the oil pan. (1/4" of sludge built up over 50 years)

Flushed the block and had the radiator flushed

pulled the valve covers and replaced gaskets after wiping some sludge out

pulled the crossover and replaced the gaskets and o-ring

Got everything reinstalled yesterday and did a compression check. 1 weak cylinder. Looks like worn rings. :(

However, I took it for a 45 minute drive today and the overheating problem seems to have gone away!

Going to clean the garage tomorrow. 60 degrees in February! :)

Guest fossiltin62

I went to breakfast with the wife in our 1932 Essex Terraplane. Worked on the speedo for the 1919 Flint the rest of the day. Almost done.

• 3 weeks later...

Packed up another box of NOS parts and stuff to send to Marty Lum as payment for his help, advise and inspiration, on my 30 Chrysler CJ project.

I've been pushing around a lot of NOS parts for 30 years. They won't sell on E Bay, so I'm sending them to Marty. I don't have the heart to throw them away.

The best of the lot is, the wire hose clamps, new in the box, and the new king pin sets, new in the box.

Bought the biggest 120 volt air compressor I could find for use in my RENTED storage building. As soon as the weather changes to some constant 70 degrees temperature..... she's getting a coat of PPG epoxy and some 2k sealer.

Front shocks went to Apple Hydraulics and the radiator shell is going to Qual Krome this week.

Bill H

Trying to reinstall all the parts I removed from my 37 Buick 24 years ago to get it rolling. I am sending it out to a local shop for a "Driver restoration". They said that they could have it done for the BCA meet in North Carolina this June. So far this week. Sorted out boxes of new and NOS parts I purchaced over the years,some more than once!... Had to remove the shoes from the left front(locked up) because of broken springs and the right side was adjusted but still a bit of drag. Reinstalled clutch (the original cause of it's lay-up). Last night got the transmission up high enough (with a web sling)to get it on a jack. Hope to install tomorrow. Then the axle and springs.

Larry