What did you do to your classic today?

Guest Guest

Guest billybird

Dropped off my 56 T-bird at the upholsterer for a new top. I've spent the last year { off and on } Powder coating the frame, new pivot pins, new chrome latches, new rubber; the whole nine yards. I can't wait to get it back and see the fruits of my labor.

• 2 weeks later...

The combination of having had to make our Hershey pilgrimage a bit briefer than usual this year, and Mother Nature serving up one of the most beautiful October weekends in Connecticut ever, spurred me into getting out to two very nice local-area antique auto shows, with the old '70 Bug, thru the weekend-just-passed.

The first one was on Saturday, at a shopping center over in Westbrook, CT, and I believe benefitted a regional hospital in the area. My son Matt who was home from school for the weekend, and our nephew Chris from CA, who also attends school in our area, and who was also visiting for the weekend, both accompanied me out to that one. We had some fun checking out lots of cool cars, and enjoying the sunny day with the top down in the car:

WbkTgr8Oct2011MttChrVWr.JPG

The second local car event I was able to take in was on Sunday, and I flew solo for that one, just over to nearby East Haven, CT, for a police union benefit car show at the high school:

EHPol9Oct2011GenFVWr.JPG

(yes as a matter of fact, I ended up parked next to the very same '66 Corvette at both events!)

Wow, sure wish that weather would last forever! But at least I have more pleasant memories to look back upon...

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

Last week I trailered my 1907 single-cylinder Cadillac to my son's home in Lititz, PA, about 28 miles by beautiful back roads from the Hershey show field. Saturday morning I drove the Caddy to the show, my son drove his 1909 E-M-F, and another fellow drove my son's 1912 Ford commercial roadster. We parked with our respective judging classes, with "Do Not Judge" signs. Perfect weather, but mighty cold, especially without a windshield. After the show we drove back, but the Caddy developed a high-speed clutch problem 3 miles from the end and had to be retrieved on a trailer. A good day!

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Today was a gorgeous fall day. I decided to put the top down and go take a few photos. Except the top would not go down. Out came the back seat and in went the hydraulic oil. I went to the dock. I saw the old workboat by the dock, so why not? Then a couple of nice trees, an ash and my neighbour's linden. I drove up on his lawn and parked right under the linden. All in all it was a nice drive. We'll look for the leak next spring. :)

post-59904-143138690354_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143138690357_thumb.jpg

post-59904-14313869036_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143138690362_thumb.jpg

Guest another Ratman

Color tour in Michigan in Miss Daisy our 1950 Chrysler Saratoga. She had a fine weekend with no rain 80 degrees and no skunk or deer hits. We are bonding as a family. We adopted her from a family who had her for over 40 years..:)

Almost screwed up the new intake for the 37 while trying to get the remenents of the busted vacumn hose nipple out of it,it was real close to the top of the intake close to where the carb mounts and broke about a 1/2 inch off of it trying to use a easy out but was able to run a tap down in it and ran a die on a piece of brass tube so it would screw all the way in and smoothed off the broken area with JB weld. The existing intake has it much further down where I could not have screwed it up.

I got to drive a gorgeous, restored 31 Dodge rumble seat coupe yesterday. It was a beauty day in a fantastic car. Then I got back to reality and sprayed the front frame rails with rust inhibitor on my '72 Imperial. Soon time to put away for the winter.

What??? No photos???

Hi,

2 week's ago my self and wife took our 1903 curved dash old's and my

old 1922 REO to a fund raiser for vet's. Had a great time! Thought she may win somthing with her 03 but guess what the old 22 REO took a runner's up

plaque home. Now she want's me to get the 1917 REO ready for her next year!

Keep all the old car's out of the chrusher guy's/ ladies. I know with the price of scrap a lot of people try and get quick money but we loose a bit of history with every stroke of the ram!!

Take Care all!!

We finally got home from last month's Glidden Tour in Maryland. Well we didn't come straight home, we went to the Smoky Mountains to await the color change and drove the old 34 Fordor Ford all over the area. Then we put it back on the trailer and came to Florida.

Today was a survey of what needs to get done before the next big tour. For riding on an open trailer, a through wash job is in order and then a brake inspection, but everything else appears Ford OK.

post-32318-143138697516_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)

Took the 52 out for the first time since 2007 on a Fall Colour Tour with about 40 other people.

Figured it was time to do an oil change as...... the poor tired old flathead V8 blows oil something fierce. It's one of those "check the gas and fill with oil thing".

The whole trip was 140 miles and WINDY but no break downs for anyone and I went through 3.5 quarts of oil and 42 bucks (CDN) of gas. If it was not for the fact I have another low mileage flathead sitting on a stand I more than likely would not take a chance on driving it but naturally it seems like it will run forever.

All in all a great day!

post-36036-143138698822_thumb.jpg

Guest danceswithpumps

I decided to get my 57 GMC out of my mom's barn and take it to a local mechanic before winter sets in. I still can't get starter to work right. I might also take it to a student taking a brake repair class at our community college. She needs a project. I pay for the materials, she supplies the know how and gains the experience, hopefully, we both win.:)

Rod

20111021092702.jpg

20111021094859.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

My '73 MGB got bashed in the nose a couple of weeks ago, while parked on a busy street. Miraculously, the last honest person in this city left a note, apologizing and leaving his contact information. Because I drive this car to work every day, I haven't been eager to get it into a body shop, until the snow is ready to fly.

This week, the clutch started to fail because of a slow leak in the hydraulic slave cylinder. I can't top it up because the hood latch was damaged in the collision. Although I'm pretty good at matching engine revs for clutchless shifting, enough is enough. Today was my last autumn drive before the B goes in for repairs next week.

My '73 MGB got bashed in the nose a couple of weeks ago, while parked on a busy street. Miraculously, the last honest person in this city left a note, apologizing and leaving his contact information. Because I drive this car to work every day, I haven't been eager to get it into a body shop, until the snow is ready to fly...

Ouch, Rob--sorry to hear that. At least the perpetrator was honest--that's pretty rare.

Here in Southern Connecticut the weather is still pretty nice (when the sun is up that is!), and a few good friends have planned out a "mini foliage tour" with old VWs. We're going to leave the house shortly for our breakfast meet-up spot, and then hopefully enjoy a bit of old car driving & leaf peeping for a few hours.

Hope to have a good picture or two to share later on...

Steamed up the Stanley and went to a local show. Mostly Ferraris and their ilk, but a few interesting toys like a Deux Chevaux and a Triumph 1800 roadster with dual dickey seat. Lots of interest from the modern iron types, especially when I fired it back up to go home. Got a BOOM! followed by a good Stanley fire coming home. Lots of interest from pedestrians and dog walkers who wanted to know if they could help. No problem - just let the flames die down and start again. Steam - ya gotta love it!

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Well I cleaned the vinyl top on the MKV no easy task, and took it out, then I charged the battery on the 1921 Chevy, and I washed the '48 and I cleaned out the trunk in my Buick!

What did you use to clean the top? I haven't found anything that does much good.

I took my Buick out for a dump run and then drove around for an hour looking for roads that I haven't been on. Kind of an "oh, that's where that is" ride. Drove 34 miles on top of the 36 I've put on since last April.

Guest 1929model75

John its honestly the newest old car I have ever owned. It seems to be a fine handling and powerful gotta love the early Mopars

I finally got my 63 Starfire out of the shop on Saturday after a long absence, it now has new suspension, u-joints, and seals to stop the oil leaks. What a difference! It rides and handles like a real muscle car now. I washed it up and put the hubcaps back on yesterday, I look forward to some longer drives and further inprovement. I'll post more details in the restoration and Oldsmobile forums.

Guest sregenauer

every day i do one part to my car. i work in a custom chrome shop and i do all the meteal prep.

my plating is free " this is where eveybody goes I WISH " how many chrome parts on a 65 riv gs ? ill get back to you on that. need to find a friend who has a paint shop and old car lol

Magnificent day (or "about as magnificent as it gets for mid/late October in CT," anyway) for some fall foliage touring around the lower Housatonic River Valley area of CT this past Sunday, on beautiful secondary roads.

We drove our tan '70 Bug Convertible, and joined good friends driving '69 (Bug Convertible, pale yellow) and '63 (Bug Sunroof Sedan, black), and '64 (Karmann Ghia Convertible, white) Volkswagens.

There was a lot of picture-taking back and forth from one car toward the others along the way, to try and come up with at least a few decent shots (that weren't blurry, that is!). Here are a few selected shots from the day, in which we appear (photo credits to our VW buddies).

That second shot, by the way, is not of a right-hand-drive Bug--rather, it was shot by the Ghia driver through his outside rear view mirror--artful!

post-34222-143138709943_thumb.jpg

post-34222-14313870997_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143138709997_thumb.jpg

post-34222-1431387100_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143138710003_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143138710005_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143138710007_thumb.jpg

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice weekend happening here in Southern CT--going to take "Luigi" the old '56 Ghia out to a local Shoreline-area antique auto repair shop's "open shop" gathering. Will be nice to give old Luigi some exercise, plus take in a bit of old car camaraderie.

The event happens today at "Cardone & Daughter Automotive" in Westbrook, 10am-2pn, I think, ref: Vintage Car Service & Repair in Connecticut - Cardone & Daughter

Have a good weekend everyone!