What did you do to your classic today?

Guest Guest

Guest PhippsAuto

My husband, Dewaine, has a 1928 Jordan that his dad bought back in the 1970s, from a guy who had it garaged since 1944. It's been garaged in our family's auto repair shop ever since my father-in-law bought it. Dewaine took it out to the Pate Swap Meet a week ago to show it off; plenty of people stopped to look at it, having never seen one before. When he got it back to the shop, just for grins, he put a new battery in it. It started! On the old starter, old coils, etc. Unbelievable! And very cool! :D

Here are a couple of pictures of the car ...

PS: If this is the wrong forum for something like this, please advise!

post-53904-143138536841_thumb.jpg

post-53904-14313853686_thumb.jpg

My husband, Dewaine, has a 1928 Jordan that his dad bought back in the 1970s, from a guy who had it garaged since 1944. It's been garaged in our family's auto repair shop ever since my father-in-law bought it. Dewaine took it out to the Pate Swap Meet a week ago to show it off; plenty of people stopped to look at it, having never seen one before. When he got it back to the shop, just for grins, he put a new battery in it. It started! On the old starter, old coils, etc. Unbelievable! And very cool! :D

Here are a couple of pictures of the car ...

PS: If this is the wrong forum for something like this, please advise!

Nothing at all wrong with your post. It's the type of post that we LOVE to hear.....especially if the car has such a great history such as yours. That Jordan is a really rare beast. Love the '32 Ford phaeton in the background, too!

Thanks for the advice. My cars are actually 1931s. I just pulled the flywheel and took it across the street to the shop where they will "clean it up". I guess it's what they call a "staged" flywheel where there are two separate areas (one raised slightly from the other), so it'll be $35.00 instead of $30.00 Oh well....they will get it done in about an hour, so my car will be closer to touring this summer! I still gotta clean all of the grease off that was left there by the previous owners.

post-37352-143138536937_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138537196_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I replaced a few aftermarket parts with correct nos ones. When does it ever stop? It seems there is always something to do, to make your car better. :)

Hey Dave, I'm looking at your beautiful '70 Mustang Boss 302 right up on the wall next to my desk as I type this--May 2011 feature for the AACA calendar! NICE!!!

Oh, and this morning, I flat-towed my '56 VW Karmann Ghia out to a local car repair place who specializes in servicing older cars, and asked them to deal with the lug bolt that I *snapped off* in the drum this past weekend when doing a wheel & tire changeover--argh!

I didn't leave myself enough room to work, and I think I inadvertantly put some bending on the bolt, when attempting to untorque it (due to the odd position I was working in). Sure would have been smarter to just wheel the car outside and do the job properly!

Yet another lesson learned...

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

Guest PhippsAuto
Nothing at all wrong with your post. It's the type of post that we LOVE to hear.....especially if the car has such a great history such as yours. That Jordan is a really rare beast. Love the '32 Ford phaeton in the background, too!

Thanks! Dewaine works on all kinds of old cars and has helped restore several; kind of became a big part of his business when he wasn't looking! The only classic/antique cars he personally has are the 1928 Jordan and a 1951 Ford. Anyone ever in Dallas, stop by the shop and visit. He loves talking about old cars. Phipps Auto

post-53904-143138537297_thumb.jpg

I took my 37 Buick out of the barn yesterday ,and went for a check out ride. I gor about 8 miles and a guy pulled out in fron of me and destroyed the lefr front fender. I at least was able to get far enough off the road to keep from hitting the grille. A fender and head light ,and some possible suspension work and it will be OK again.

I took my 37 Buick out of the barn yesterday ,and went for a check out ride. I gor about 8 miles and a guy pulled out in fron of me and destroyed the lefr front fender. I at least was able to get far enough off the road to keep from hitting the grille. A fender and head light ,and some possible suspension work and it will be OK again.

Oh man--I am sorry to hear that, Old Guy--what a pain. Glad to hear you did not get hurt.

Guest bofusmosby

Old Guy, I too am glad that you are OK. Too bad about your car, but it could have been much worse. The last time I took out the 37 Pontiac, someone almost "T"-boned me at an intersection. I am very thankful that the old horns on my car sound more like the horns of a train. It stopped that lady in her tracks...so to speak.

Guest PhippsAuto
NICE '51!

Thanks. My husband says to be sure to say it's a Ford-i-Lac, as his dad put different Cadillac motors in it. It currently has a 1959 Cadillac 390 in it, and this car is FAST. This was my father-in-law's second car, one he bought right out of high school ... been in the family a long time! We take it out to Texas Motor Speedway when they have their "Laps for Charity" and speed around the race track in it with the kids!

Hate to hear the stories about people taking their old cars out and getting into wrecks, but glad the drivers were okay!

-----

Patty

Phipps Auto

www.phippsauto.com

Edited by PhippsAuto
Add signature (see edit history)

Guest bofusmosby

I walked over to my Pontiac, lifted the temporary cover, sat in the drivers seat, lightly "wiped" the top of the dash while saying "just give me another 2-4 weeks, and the garage will be rebuilt, then it's all yours". :D

Hey Dave, I'm looking at your beautiful '70 Mustang Boss 302 right up on the wall next to my desk as I type this--May 2011 feature for the AACA calendar! NICE!!!

Wow, this looks to be Dave's month indeed--judging by the just-received May/June 2011 Antique Automoile! Back cover--BANG!...Pages 46-47 feature--BANG!..Centerspread--BANG BANG!

And yet another overall "Bang-up" job with this AA issue, by West and Company!

Finally got time to fire up the FarmOroad and do a quick safety check and a short drive. Now they are predicting rain for most of the next week and I have to find a dry day to get it in for state inspection before the end of the month.

The F1 went on it's first long drive of the season with our cruising group ending at a nursing home show on Tuesday afternoon.

Depression strikes! I found out that in order to verify the vin on one of my cars that I have to dig it out of my shop and trailer it down to the DMV for them to verify it. Neither the Phoenix Police nor the Oregon State Police can come to your residence and do that any more. OUCH!!

post-37352-143138538426_thumb.jpg

Guest maudsley

So, after a long winter taking the truck apart, taking the engine out and carting it one town over to get rebuilt, then painting eberything and putting ut all back, With front end back on, water in rad, and oil in motor, we started it for the first time. Took 12 volts to turn it over. Sounded good after adjusting the timing. The PROBLEM is.... oil leaking from the timing cover. Can you guess what I am doing later today, this weekend, and the foreseeable future?? O, just taking the front end back off draining the rad again, pulling pullys, and being pissed off the whole frickin' time.

Guest danceswithpumps

I used a buffing wheel on the DA wind shield wing nuts I got from Keiser. ran a thread chaser down them, turned a tap through the female piece on the car and they look great! Hopefully no idiot in the future will use a vice grip to turn them ever again! I also buffed a hup cap I bought on Ebay and put it on my wheel. Looks much better than my old beat up one.

Rod

...Oh, and this morning, I flat-towed my '56 VW Karmann Ghia out to a local car repair place who specializes in servicing older cars, and asked them to deal with the lug bolt that I *snapped off* in the drum this past weekend when doing a wheel & tire changeover--argh!

I didn't leave myself enough room to work, and I think I inadvertantly put some bending on the bolt, when attempting to untorque it (due to the odd position I was working in). Sure would have been smarter to just wheel the car outside and do the job properly!

Yet another lesson learned...

The old Ghia came back from busted lug bolt stud extraction surgery on Thursday afternoon, and I tried fitting a set of wheels & tires that I had assembled for another car--just for kicks, and a little driving fun & photo or two.

The wheels are Brazil reproduction Porsche 356'ers, 4.5" wide, painted black. Spun aluminum brake drum covers sit behind them (giving a bit of "faux porsche brake drum look"), and lug bolts have chromed plastic caps over the heads. Tires are 155R15 Vredestein Sprint Classics.

Presenting "The Phantom":

806883.jpg

Guest 4 bufords

did nothing today in the rain but wednesday i took the generater and regulater to a shop to get rebuilt,gen was cooked.hope to get it back tuesday,4 bufords from ct

Guest Amilcar1926

Spent yesterday extracting the oil filter from my '78 Nova, which some ASE jack-a.. must have torqued on with an air wrench, which required me to get the 16" jaws to rip it off and in doing so nicked the fuel hose to the pump (250 6cyl), which I could not see and then spent today trying to find and finally fix. cocktail time.

I just finished rebuilding a correct 352 for my 1960 Ford Sunliner. I did a complete rebuild including having the engine balanced. I also installed a NOS cam, lifters and oil pump. I dropped it in, timed the distributor and cranked it to get the oil pressure up. It started as if it had never been apart! It runs smooth at all RPM! The old engine had a vibration at 1200 to 1700 RPM. I'm very happy! I also rebuilt the steering gear box, installed power brakes and replaced the complete exhaust system. I installed the correct resonator and heat riser valve. My goal was to make the car as it left the factory.

post-59985-143138544391_thumb.jpg

post-59985-143138544394_thumb.jpg

post-59985-143138544396_thumb.jpg

post-59985-143138544399_thumb.jpg

post-59985-143138544648_thumb.jpg

Installed a intake heat kit on the 37,I put Fenton headers on the 235 and had a cold driveability problem since so with some heat to the intake it should run better. I would like to have installed a 53/54 corvette exhaust manifold for a more factory appearance but since I have seen them in the 700 to 950 price range the 49 dollars for the kit is more in my budget.

Just got back from the Brass in Berks County tour. Four days of superb routes and destinations in mostly rain. Put 305 miles on the '13 T runabout in three days. The other day I was a passenger in my son's '09 E-M-F. About half the folks who signed up for the tour drove their pre-'16 antiques despite the vile weather; the others went modern. One steady tourer was Herb Singe, Jr., who campaigned in the oldest Lozier extant - a 1906!

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Just got back from the Brass in Berks County tour. Four days of superb routes and destinations in mostly rain. Put 305 miles on the '13 T runabout in three days. The other day I was a passenger in my son's '09 E-M-F. About half the folks who signed up for the tour drove their pre-'16 antiques despite the vile weather; the others went modern. One steady tourer was Herb Singe, Jr., who campaigned in the oldest Lozier extant - a 1906!

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Thank you very much, Gil.

Being a local I received no less than 4 phone calls from friends asking why all those beautiful old vehicles were in the Reading area. Despite the weather my hat is certainly off to all of you for the dedication to the hobby. Glad you had a safe and fun time.

Regards,

Peter.

Took the 37 for a spin tonight and it was acting like it was out of gas,must have picked up some gas with too much alcohol in it as the seal in the AC inline fuel filter swelled up and the glass bowl was not sealing. I am suprised it did not leak but it caused the pump not to draw any fuel from the tank,need to do some research to see who sells the best gas around here.