What did you do to your classic today?

Guest Guest

Finished reaming my spindles fot eh new king pins. Now I can finally start to bolt the front suspension back together in the 48 plymouth. I also found a steering box and a complete set of brakes. Backing plates drums bearings shoes cylinders hoses and even master cylinder all new from a guy hot rodding one so for 400 plus shipping I'll have all new brakes on my 48. Can't beat that deal. Now to find a set of good 15 inch white walls.

Guest ken bogren

Drove our 63 Falcon to a family gathering. While we were there my brother-in-law and I checked the compression and changed the spark plugs in the Falcon.

In between we walked across the street to check out a neighbors "new" 49 Chevy pickup.

I need more days like this!

CLASSIC?

Drove My newly inherited 1928 Whippet Cabriolet for the first time since 2007 with my 22 year old son and girlfriend for about a 5 mile run.

I personally grew up with this car in Dad's garage being restored over 28 years from what some today would class as a basket case.

While not a speed car it sure drew the looks and waves.

post-36036-143138636518_thumb.jpg

Took the 1970 Caddy convertible out of her storage today -- drove her home, gave her a quick bath, and admired her new black leather interior -- BOY, am I glad her A/C works - another 90+ degree day with lots of sunshine here in New Orleans.

We drove 30 miles to Chalmette, Louisiana to our St. Bernard Chapter of Louisiana AACA Region's cruise night at Brewster's on Judge Perez Ave. Club President Johnnie Waguespack served as DJ, and has a great collection of 50s & 60s tunes -- the food was great -- lots of folks got to see our cars, and we often attract new members to our chapter at Cruise Night, held from March through November.

THE BEST PART:

After Cruise Night, Dale and I left the convertible top down and cruised the French Quarter in the Big Bad Triple-Black 1970 Cadillac Convertible -- there were huge crowds, especially on Royal St and Bourbon St. -- Jackson Square was another hot spot, and the crowd outside of Pat O'Brien's really enjoyed our "ride".

Back home, we are all tucked-in for the night. She will probably be our choice next Sunday, August 28th when the St. Bernard Chapter cruises to lunch at the"The Cabin Restaurant" in Burnside, Louisiana -- this has been one of our favorite places to take guests, as their food is good, they have a Cajun Fiddler most Sundays, and the water-garden out front has a huge log which is carved into the shape of an alligator (the kids love it - especially those of us who are recycled teenagers).

post-54863-14313863655_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138636552_thumb.jpg

Guest danceswithpumps
CLASSIC?

Drove My newly inherited 1928 Whippet Cabriolet for the first time since 2007 with my 22 year old son and girlfriend for about a 5 mile run.

I personally grew up with this car in Dad's garage being restored over 28 years from what some today would class as a basket case.

While not a speed car it sure drew the looks and waves.

Wow! Awesome, an love those wheels!

Rod

Guest sonnyheg
:D Just got done cleaning up my 1932 Chevrolet Sport Coupe for the 2011 Santa Fe Concorso Show to be held on Sept.23rd.-25th. It only took 4 days to get it done!!

:D Just got done cleaning up my 1932 Chevrolet Sport Coupe for the 2011 Santa Fe Concorso Show to be held on Sept.23rd.-25th. It only took 4 days to get it done!!

And yer not gonna show us?

Oh....here it is! GORGEOUS car!

post-37352-143138637749_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138637751_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138637752_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest greg walsh

Not really a classic yet but my wife inherited her dad's 2000 Olds. Intrigue with only 61000 miles on it. Anyway it has a weird wheel noise. I thought it was a wheel bearing but it turned out to be a tire sepperating. Tomorrow we'll get some new ones.

Guest danceswithpumps

AWESOME Chevy. Thanks for posting!

Rod

• 4 weeks later...

Lessee, now. Saturday morning I drove the '11 Stanley to Cars & Croissants, a local show mostly for modern exotic iron but welcoming of pretty near anything. In the late morning I drove the '13 T about 45 miles to a horse show, returning in the afternoon. Monday I drove the 1906 2-cylinder Buick to yoga and found I had a water leak, which I have not yet tracked down. Today I drove the 1907 1-cylinder Cadillac to take a bunch of stuff to recycling, and some of the exhaust system came apart. Bought replacement bolts and nuts at NAPA and will fix tomorrow. So all four cars have been exercised this week.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Guest danceswithpumps
So........

Again, not a classic but....

Took the Whippet out to a Labour Day Show with Dad that we are members of and thought I'd post a few pics.

Found the picture from the day Dad bought her. What a come back!

AWESOME Whippet! Love the before and after pics too.

Thanks for posting!

Rod

The Antique Steam Touring Club, an affiliated register of HCCA, had a social gathering today at Don Eckel's home and museum. Don's father, Earl Eckel, was (I believe) a founding member of AACA, a steam car enthusiast, and an early commercial operator of Pitcairn autogiros. The museum has a 1903 ad a 1908 Stanley restored by Earl over a half century ago, that still look as though they were recent Grand National winners. In honor of the occasion, I drove my '11 Stanley, about a 50-mile round trip with one serious hill each way.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

I removed and cleaned the sand out of the throat of my Carter BB-1. I was blowing out the cracks and crevices under the cowl of the Chrysler and the upturned throat of the carburetor was a "catch all" for the sand blasting left overs from years ago.

Most definitely don't want sand on top of the pistons. Lucky I saw it before I started the motor. Don't want scored cylinder walls.

Bill H

post-55453-143138663231_thumb.jpg

i have 2 1954 chrysler windsor deluxes. i have been driving the sedan lately because it is so hot that the convertible runs too hot. well, we had a little cooling so i had to put a little gas down the carb in the convertible, started it up and drove around town with the top down and filled the gas tank. i will address my temp problems in the conv. as soon as the weather stays a little cooler. i am in wilmington, NC. i hate to ignore my classics and i drive them fairly often even if i have no place in particular to go. capt den

Got the '71 Lesabre out of the garage and gave it a good bath yesterday. Drove it around town on errands then again this morning. I've hardly used it the last couple of years, am just shy of putting on 200 miles since July '09. It does need some work which keeps me from taking it long distances, but it still looks good when cleaned up. I'd like to have everything fixed on it so I could really drive it.

Guest greg walsh

Started my 35 Buick with the aid of a battery charger, it's a 6 volt battery about 4 years old and needs replacing, won't hold a charge. Also painted some POR-15 on some of my frame and rear springs until I ran out of paint. Good stuff but kinda' pricey.

Taking advantage of the nice weather, we elected to drive out to a nice local antique car show in Westbrook, CT yesterday (Sunday 9/18).

This was an annual show that usually happens on Labor Day weekend, but since the field, which is right by the ocean, was still recovering from having been *under water* just a week before the scheduled show date (thanks to Hurricane Irene). The location was the Westbrook Elks Lodge.

Unfortunately there were also many other antique auto shows happening on the same day--some, like Westbrook, having been rescheduled due to the storm--and others that were scheduled for the 18th all along (such as the so-called "Big One" in Southbury, CT, plus a few others). But we sort of feel an allegiance to the Westbrook folks--plus it's a nice leisurely drive to get there (though the town of Clinton was having a seriously big firetruck parade & shindig, and so we got a bit delayed having to drive thru there on our way to Westbrook--still a lot of fun, though!).

I elected to ride while The Mrs. drove her '63 VW Karmann Ghia, and we had a great time at the show, checking out lots of cool old cars, and seeing many old friends. On the way home, for part of the ride we even had fun following a seriously beautiful '35 Ford that had been at the same show--I'll attach a photo...

post-34222-143138664957_thumb.jpg

Saturday, drove the '70 Caddy convertible - crossed the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway's 24 mile bridge - continued to Abita Springs, Louisiana to the abita brewery for the tour and tasting, along with members of the Slidell Antique Car Club, a Chapter of the Louisiana Region. Following an hour or so of "tasting" (their root beer is exceptional, too) the group headed to Mandeville for a catered lunch at Benedict's Plantation.

Saturday night we drove the 1930 Packard to Chalmette, LA for the St. Bernard Chapter Cruise Night for some 1950s Rock 'n Roll music, great dinner at "Brewsters", our host, and the winner of the 50-50 got $180 (no - not us).

Today, drove the '70 Caddy to a friend's mother's funeral

This coming weekend the Baton Rouge Chapter hosts its Fall Tour -- we plan to Drive the Packard from New Orleans to Baton Rouge and back, in addition to an estimated 100 miles on the tour itself --

See You Down The Road

Yesterday sprayed 3 coats of high build primer on the rear fenders. Today I blocked sanded them with some 180 tomorrow a few more coats of high build primer sand with some finer grits then I will spray some epoxy primer as a sealer coat (hopefully weather will warm up some for that stage) then spray the Black top coat and then finally get them reinstalled on car.

Decent road trip yesterday in the '70 Bug: Drove first up to Wingdale, NY (just a little northwest of New Milford, CT--Wingdale is also the home of Hunt Furniture, where we stopped for a photo-op, since my parents bought a dining room set there back in the '60s--cool to see it still in business!) to run an animal-rescue-related errand.

We then headed eastward on all secondary roads toward West Springfield, MA (the Eastern States Exposition or "Big E" was our target destination), enjoying magnificent weather and scenery all along the way. Even drove across an actual covered bridge (I think it was called "Bull's Bridge," in Kent, CT) along the way.

The Big E was our ultimate target due to having signed up, via an antique car club (& AACA region) based in that area (of which we are dues-paying members), to drive our VW in that day's 5pm parade around the show grounds. Yesterday was also "Connecticut Day" at the Big E, which made it even more exciting for Nutmeg-staters like ourselves.

In all, we put around 200 or so miles on the '70 Bug yesterday, and it ran great the entire day, getting us all the way back home late last night (windows up & heater on, but TOP STILL DOWN!) with nary a hiccup...

post-34222-143138668176_thumb.jpg

Guest Harold Phillips

Last week end took my 28 Lincoln to the route 66 shin dig in down town San Bernardino, one of the few non hot rods there and it was very well recevied. First time I have ever entered a car as do not like non original but had a good time

I took my A pickup to a show put on by a major antique car insurer in Moorestown,NJ. When I got there they had a sign saying: Sorry, show has been rescheduled due to rain.

It wasn't raining, just cloudy and they had"Rain or Shine" on their flyer. I even checked their site the night before, there was no mention of a cancellation.

A dfferent insurer had a show on Father's Day in Cherry Hill that I was all set to go to but there was torrential rain so I didn't go but they had it anyway. I can't win

post-66242-143138670143_thumb.jpg

post-66242-143138670147_thumb.jpg

post-66242-143138670151_thumb.jpg

Guest Kingoftheroad
I took my A pickup to a show put on by a major antique car insurer in Moorestown,NJ. When I got there they had a sign saying: Sorry, show has been rescheduled due to rain.

It wasn't raining, just cloudy and they had"Rain or Shine" on their flyer. I even checked their site the night before, there was no mention of a cancellation.

A dfferent insurer had a show on Father's Day in Cherry Hill that I was all set to go to but there was torrential rain so I didn't go but they had it anyway. I can't win

That stinks... Things like that happen to me too. Of course then, I try to avoid getting rained on if I can... I was at a Buick Show with my car on a day I thought was gonna be sunny. As it turned out, it rained on & off through out the show. I ended up wiping down my car like 2 or 3 times through out the course of the show..lol

Drove the 1930 Packard all weekend on the Baton Rouge AACA Chapter Fall Tour:

"Hollywood South",

Priviate car collection,

LSU's Tiger Stadium,

National Hansen's Disease Center,

Great hospitality,

Great Jambalaya prepared by Tour Chairwoman's son,

Great banquets at Boudin's Restaurant and at Ralph & Kacoo's Restaurant,

Easy driving routes,

and then drive 81 miles back home this morning in an 81 year old car ---

LIFE IS GOOD -- especially when I get to share it with good AACA friends

Guest Kingoftheroad

Took the old Buick out for a little ride, used some gas, and got the fluids circulating. It felt good to get her up to speed and just cruise.....:)