Is there any "really good" food at Hershey?

Guest Paul Christ

Guest Paul Christ

Whenever I travel, I love to search out great food - this even applies when I'm attending car shows and swap meets. For instance, at the Carlisle shows I make a point of eating at Stoltzfus PA Dutch Foods (located in the food court on the backside of the grandstands). Their ham and cheese sandwiches are incredible, and the potato salad is so sweet that it could be dessert. They also have great homemade pies and soups that I like to sample. Stoltzfus has become a part of the Carlisle shows for me, and because they're centrally located I don't even have to leave the fairgrounds.

At Hershey, however, I've consistently failed to find good food. I've had some food that was 'Ok' and some that was 'not-so-Ok', but I'm still searching for someplace that will become my "must stop" destination at Hershey. Can anyone recommend a food vendor - on the grounds at Hershey - that sells great tasting food?

:confused:

I've never found anything that good on the grounds at Hershey. I've bought pizza that was cold, sandwiches that were dry, drinks are expensive, yada, yada, yada. I keep a cooler and in the trunk, bring food and make my own lunches. One of our favorite places to go out to eat, though, is Silk City Diner in Denver. We always make the trek out there at least once for dinner.

• Like 1

Mrs. T's perogies hot from the fryer. Yum, Yum.

On Thursday's we do lunch in the Hershey Cafe. Hot fudge sundaes with whipped cream and a cherry on top. **drool**

Sherrie's Crab Cakes are the other treat we look forward to. But if you can't eat shellfish then those of course are out.

Probably not the healthiest thing on the grounds but I have to have Bricker's Fries once during Hershey. Not as good as the fries in Harbor Place, Baltimore, but they have a good unique flavor that has become a bit of a tradition for me. Most of Hershey's food is only OK to me.

I vote for the crab cakes as probably the tastiest thing there, expensive but worth it. The french fries are OK, main reason to eat is carbs to keep the legs moving past all the rusty iron. Like the coated almonds and pecans too, but that's just nuts to some people, not real food.

Interesting question though, but usually Hershey is just fuel food for walking, not gourmet for sure......

Sherrie's Crab Cakes are the other treat we look forward to.

Sherrie's Crab Cakes are a treat I also look forward to each year at Fall Hershey.

After a long morning of walking the vendor fields on Friday and on Saturday at the Car Show they really hit the spot.

OK, my two cents (and keep in mind, I've lost 50 pounds since February, so I'm really, really trying to behave myself until the last three days of Carlisle, and Hershey week!).

At both Carlisle and Hershey, the one stop I always make at least once (and usually more often) is Sherri's Crab Cakes--like others have said, they really hit the spot! Anyplace with old-fashioned freshly-cut fries also gets my vote.

Usually try to behave at Hershey during the day, because that's what the evenings are for; try to hit places like Funck's or A&M Pizza just east of Hershey on the main drag as E. Chocolate Ave turns into Main St. in Palmyra. Any Cracker Barrel is worth a visit, and the one ritual me and my roomate Dick make sure we frequent is the all-you-can-eat Spaghetti Dinner starting late Friday afternoon at the fire station in Hummelstown.

I thoroughly enjoy the banquet on Saturday night, and the food there is usually good, though not enough for a growing boy (haha). Was severely disappointed a few years ago when the dessert of something that was supposed to be chocolate-laden (what else would one expect in Hershey?), only to be told that it would be substituted for Bananas Foster (bananas are my number one enemy--you don't want to know why).

Back to Carlisle, I usually go to the big breakfast vendor under the grandstand, toward the west end (forgive me, can't remember their name, but you can't miss them--they wear the red aprons), and load up so I don't have to eat until mid-afternoon (and those crab cakes). Always got a kick out of a couple of the old codgers (and I say that with much affection) that serve you up; the one fellow retired a couple years back, but the other old guy is still as gruff and lovable as ever.

One more thing about Hershey, love the apple cider that the AACA folks have for us at the various locations around the Giant Center.

OK, that was more like a dime's worth than two cents, but hey, someone asked!

Edited by starfireelvis (see edit history)

Just up the road from where we camp in our RV, out toward's Elizabethtown, is a small restaurant called Martins. It is just across the road from the place that has a pedal car show and sells peddle car parts. We always go there a time or two while in the area.

Martin's Country Kitchen and Randy Lee's BBQ

2853 Hershey Road Elizabethtown PA 17022 - 717.361.4442

Two years ago I finally got the courage to try chicken and waffles. Not sure who got the idea to mix those two but it's a wonderful combination. :)

Edited by Shop Rat
Add info. for Martin's. (see edit history)

Miss the breakfast tent when it was in the Chocolate field and I believe run by the Hershey Region.

Second the Silk City Diner in Denver - we used to stay there and would eat there one or two nights. Now we stay in Lancaster, 30 minute drive but great accomodations - and plenty of Amish food to end the day with...

The permanent stand in the Chocolate field does a nice light strawberry waffle breakfast.

Funck's Family Restaurant on Main St in Palmyra -- always crowded but worth the wait, and you can ask for a free sundae on your birthday (mine is Oct. 5th -- good timing, huh?)

The turkey legs are a good bet

(Mrs T's ?) Pierogies - we can't get that in New Orleans

(Mrs T's ?) Pierogies - we can't get that in New Orleans

Have you checked the freezer section in places like WalMart? They sell them here and also Kroger has them in the freezer section.

To paraphrase a line someone sent me in a PM, it isn't the same without chocolate in the air and a rusty car part in your hand. :rolleyes:

Susan,

I suppose we could get frozen pierogies here, but I grew up in NJ - you stopped by St. Theresa's Church on a Friday after work - everything was hot and fresh,

--or if you wanted a good sandwich there was always a great Kosher Deli nearby,

-- and after our band finished playing at 2AM, there were all-night Diners with 112-page menu and a liquor license.

New Orleans has fantastic food -- but a real pierogie once in a while is as much of a treat here as Louisiana Oysters, Shrimp, Crawfish and such are in Morgantown or Hershey.

Susan,

I suppose we could get frozen pierogies here, but I grew up in NJ - you stopped by St. Theresa's Church on a Friday after work - everything was hot and fresh,

--or if you wanted a good sandwich there was always a great Kosher Deli nearby,

-- and after our band finished playing at 2AM, there were all-night Diners with 112-page menu and a liquor license.

New Orleans has fantastic food -- but a real pierogie once in a while is as much of a treat here as Louisiana Oysters, Shrimp, Crawfish and such are in Morgantown or Hershey.

Marty,

I didn't realize you were a Jersey Boy, like Bill was. And you are correct about the difference in the foods from all those areas, since we have been down to where you now live. Nothing beats fresh food from the area you are in.

There is a Red Robin restaurant across the street from the end of where the old Blue Field was, where the wooden roller coaster is now. Bill and I went there last year and the food was great.

The "Red Robin" looks like a pretty popular place - kind of a "hang-out" - always busy.

We usually go to Funck's in Palmyra, and then Thursday is "meeting night" for many of our clubs. The Oakland Owners Club, International usually has a dinner in the Chapters and Regions Room at the AACA Museum; Lincoln Owners Club is at to Hershey Lodge, etc.

BTW - I sing like the JERSEY BOYS (if you don't listen too carefully), but do play backup on the brass instruments (and Klaxon, too).

Although I haven't been there in probably four or so years, we always liked Fenicci's Italian restaurant on the main street in Hershey (I think Chocolate Avenue). A tad pricy, but not fancy at all...just good ol' italian and good rolls and salads and soups. We'd always go with a big group and have a good time (gently) harassing our servers, but they always took it in good humor and treated us well in return.

Bill

I'll have to check these pierogies out. Everybody always has to tell me about a "wonderful" Polish restaurant they went to somewhere. I have yet to see any place that can come anywhere close to my Polish grandmother's cooking.

Every restaurant here is Polish!!

If you stay in the hotel ..... they take you down the hill in a van and will bring you lunch and pick-up the stuff you've brought..... always the best!

Yes the crab cakes ARE wonderful on the field.

I wish we could come this year maybe next......:)

Every restaurant here is Polish!!

Good one! :D

..... Yes the crab cakes ARE wonderful on the field. .....

Two years ago I spoke to one of the folks manning one of the Sherri's Crab Cake Sandwich booths at Hershey about the Crab Carnival that is held the Friday and Saturday before Hershey in West Point, Va. I suggested that they should apply for booth space and come down for that.

Last year they did show up and the line was down the street and there was almost no let up for those folks. AND they sold out while they were there for only two days. :) By comparison none of the other cab cake sellers come close to the quality of product that Sherri's puts out. And the prices were very close. Many that sell crab cakes at the Crab Carnival do so to support charities or their churches. So if they are going to keep their support they are going to have to up the quality of their crab cakes, or sell something else. :rolleyes:

Marty, I think we need to open an oyster poboy stand at Hershey, give those crab cakes a run for their money.......on site I still think the crab sandwiches are the best food on the field.....off site, the Italian restaurant is good, Funck's is just good old home cooking...and if you want a one pound hamburger Fuddruckers is just down the road.....and I can also attest to Marty's talent on brass instruments, we used to have great parties back in my home town in Louisiana, I and a couple other friends played guitar, Marty would bring his trumpet, and a good time was had by all.....

All that David describes was as wonderful as one can imagine.

Each year David Hosted his "IDES OF MARCH" party in his home town of Alexandria, Louisiana.

The Import-Car Dealer - Johnnie Casey played one heck of a guitar, and his partner, and also local CORONER (as I recall) played accordion. I brought my trumpet, trombones (both valve and slide), and as the Cajuns among us would say:

"We would pass a good time".

I don't know how many of the folks ever caught on that it was really David's birthday party, but eventually he had the good fortune to meet and marry Georjean.

I agree with David's restaurant selections: The Italian place on W. Chocolate Ave, Funck's, Fudruckers, and should also add Lucy's , just down from the phamacy on W. Chocolate Ave, good food and a decent bar.

Do y'all think that a Louisiana-style Oyster Po-Boy stand would be a smash-hit at Hershey? Probably would be! But then David and would have less time for our real interests - OLD CARS.

.....Do y'all think that a Louisiana-style Oyster Po-Boy stand would be a smash-hit at Hershey? ......

That would be two YES votes from W. Va. :) Also offer some hot, fresh beignets and cafe-au-lait for a breakfast or snack and you will have a hit for sure.

And some red bean and rice for supper would be nice.

• Like 1

My wife wants me to add her favorites. Brickers fries, ice cream from those guys with the hit & miss engine churn & dinner at the Crossroads diner, My sons always want Penn dutch chicken soup at Chocolate world. The soup however has gotten expensive & portions smaller. I got very very sick one year eating at the wrong stand so now I am very careful.

I haven't eaten anything at Hershey itself that didn't come from the Herco Pavillion food court in 20 years. They have some very nice, and reasonably healthy, wrap sandwiches which is almost the only thing I eat there since the Dr. told me what my blood pressure was. I'll have to try the crab cakes some time, just don't tell my doctor.

My big beef against Hershey food was always the coffee, until several years ago. I spent years looking for coffee that was at least warm. Taste was optional at best, and usually more like chicory than coffee and usually burnt. Then a specialty coffee place started coming to Hershey, setting up along the main walkway in the middle of the chocolate field. They're not cheap, but it is genuinely good coffee (FINALLY!!!!).:cool:

945 views about food! Sure tells me a thing or two about all of you!:D I have told others that we are a donut club disguised as a car club. The crab cakes are a favorite of mine but the chicken kabobs on the Chocolate field are mighty good too. Bricker's fries are great but way too tempting.

HERCO will have a food court IN the Giant Center so check their offerings out.

Lobster??? Tell me more...

There are some new restaurants in the area and for those with a healthy budget, Devon's downtown is an incredible seafood place. The biker bar "Parkview" usually has pretty good food as well. There is a new place called the Gas Station near the Soda Jerk (the old gourmet restaurant).

None of you will starve and most of us do not look like we missed too many meals so I am sure we will all survive the culinary offerings of the area!:)

.....I'll have to try the crab cakes some time, just don't tell my doctor. .....

It shouldn't be an issue as they are cooked on a griddle rather than deep fried and it is mostly back fin lump meat real crab and not the fake stufff. And there is so little filler that it is a wonder they hold together at all. And they check the internal temperature of the crab cake to make sure it is properly cooked. :)

My big beef against Hershey food was always the coffee, until several years ago. I spent years looking for coffee that was at least warm. Taste was optional at best, and usually more like chicory than coffee and usually burnt.

Good point Dave, I had forgotten how right you are about bad coffee in the past.

Regarding hot drinks, I do not know if they are still there, but there used to be a place at the stadium with good hot chocolate and THAT was really nice on a cool cloudy day in Hershey! Todd