Is there any "really good" food at Hershey?

Guest Paul Christ

It shouldn't be an issue as they are cooked on a griddle rather than deep fried and it is mostly back fin lump meat real crab and not the fake stufff. And there is so little filler that it is a wonder they hold together at all. And they check the internal temperature of the crab cake to make sure it is properly cooked. :)

The "fake stuff" is actually better for you than real crab, it's mainly alaskan pollack. So is the filler, unless you have to limit your sodium like me.

I'm probably not going to make it this year, but if I do I'll give 'em a try!:)

Being a local and a big fan of food, I have to point out a few restaurants that you shouldn't miss. For bar food, the Penn Hotel on West Chocolate is excellent. Great wings and burgers! Drink prices are very reasonable and it is a clean and friendly kind of place.

If you are interested in Italian, visit Fenicci's. They make an upside down pizza there that is out of this world! Thin crust, the cheese, and the sauce on top. If you are looking for a meal, I highly recommend the Veal Saltimbocca or the Lasagna.

Devon's is a must if you are interested in fresh fish and seafood. Excellent service and very good quality food can be found there.

For breakfast or "upscale" diner type food, The Pantry on Chocolate down by the Hampton Inn can not be beat. Their breakfast is the best in the area.

If you are interested in Sushi, Sakura Do on East Chocolate is the best in the area.

Eat well and enjoy Hershey!

Guest Stonefish

Food at the show has been standard fare since they "shooed" all the church and civil orgs away...

outside of show grounds...hit these:

Penn Hotel & Sports Bar - Good burgers and bar food 717-533-9260 600 W Chocolate Ave Hershey, PA 17033

Marco Polo - Chinese food Chinese 21 Duke St, Hershey, PA 17033 (717) 533-2288

Harper's Tavern - diners & bar food Harrisburg Restaurant - Harper's Tavern - Wedding Receptions - Lebanon - Annville - Route 81 Exit 85-A

The Boro Bar - Boro - Bar & Grill

The Corvette - The Corvette Grille - Home Page

Cross Roads - Welcome to the Cross Roads Cafe

The Grill - Chocolate Avenue Grill

Fire Alley - Fire Alley, a Herhey PA Restaurant, About Us

Soda Jerk - Cuisines: American, Diner, Hamburgers, Ice Cream

403 E Main St, Hummelstown, PA 17036

(717) 566-7707

Gas station - Driving directions and map to the Gas Station in Hummelstown, PA

Sopranos, for Italian...small but awesome food/big portions. 50 Lynmar Ave, Campbelltown, PA 17010

(717) 838-3895

Edited by Stonefish (see edit history)

1254 views about food! I think we may have found the secret to growing this site!

As well as our waistlines. :eek: But hey, we walk most of it off in the fields, right? :rolleyes:

Mike, I have never been able to get past the sign at Sakura Do to try it. Italian/Sushi Restaurant???!!! It just does not sound appealing. Sort of like Chinese Pancake house or Kosher Deli and Thai Food!

Steve, I not sure, but I think you may be a bit confused. I think it is two different places for the Italian food and the sushi.

In W. Va. we never eat sushi from a restaurant that is next to a bait shop. Too risky. :P:D

1254 views about food! I think we may have found the secret to growing this site!

Mike, I have never been able to get past the sign at Sakura Do to try it. Italian/Sushi Restaurant???!!! It just does not sound appealing. Sort of like Chinese Pancake house or Kosher Deli and Thai Food!

Allow me to explain, its a long story so I will do my best to shorten it. The place for years was one of the better Italian places in the Hershey area, called Vacantes. It changed hands in the late 80's but remained a great place to eat.

From what I understand, when the folks who have it now let people know they intended on turning it into a Sushi place, the original owner and long time patrons requested the cook and recipes stay and they serve some of the original menu items that had been served there for 40 some years.

Apparently the new owner liked the idea and said he would give it a try. Lo and behold, it worked icon7.gif Now, the people who had been going there for 40 some years can still go and get their favorite Italian dishes and Hershey finally has a decent Sushi place.

The nice thing is if you are in a group of people and one of them doesn't like Sushi, they can get a plate of spaghetti!

If you like Sushi, give them a try when you are in town!

That does clear it up for me. :) I was looking at the original post and it listed an Italian place, Fenicci's, at the top of the post and the sushi place, Sakura Do, at the bottom. Sorry Steve, I thought you had put those two together. :o I didn't realize, because I don't live there, that Sakura Do's has both. Sounds like a place worth trying since we will be there Sunday through Sunday.

We stay in lebanon and our diner went out of business a few years ago, so we make breakfast at our spot on the field, we have a dentist as a breakfast chef, and she always feeds us well! I do steaks every Friday at lunchtime, and usually make some mushroom sauce to go with the steaks. In the evenings we love the Kum-Esse diner in Meyerstown, well worth the drive, they make many varities of pies, and a personal favorite, apricot.

We are constantly delighted by the "regional accent" that the diner waitresses all have (and most of the locals) where the pitch of their voice goes up on the second to last word in a sentence i.e. "Are you guys here for the car show".

Guest Austin12600
Mrs. T's perogies hot from the fryer. Yum, Yum.

On Thursday's we do lunch in the Hershey Cafe. Hot fudge sundaes with whipped cream and a cherry on top. **drool**

Sherrie's Crab Cakes are the other treat we look forward to. But if you can't eat shellfish then those of course are out.

The Hershey Cafe is no longer. It's some Italian restaurant, now... I live less than 5 minutes from it :P

And on another note, Sakurado is Italian/Sushi. My family eats there every once in a while... The sushi is great, but I don't think we've ever tried anything from the Italian part of the menu...

Edited by Austin12600 (see edit history)

The Hershey Cafe is no longer. It's some Italian restaurant, now... I live less than 5 minutes from it :P ...

I might not have put the correct name. Where I was talking about is the food court area of Hershey World. Pleeease don't tell me they turned that into an Italian eatery. :eek: I would never be able to get Bill back to Hershey if he can't have his ice cream sundae lunch one day. :o

Guest Austin12600
I might not have put the correct name. Where I was talking about is the food court area of Hershey World. Pleeease don't tell me they turned that into an Italian eatery. :eek: I would never be able to get Bill back to Hershey if he can't have his ice cream sundae lunch one day. :o

Ahh, no, the one I was referring to was an actual restaurant :P I haven't been to Chocolate World in ages, but I'm pretty sure you're still good on that :)

Last week the Durant Motors Automobile Club had their Annual meet in Lancaster. On Saturday the group went to the AACA Museum for a tour and then off to the Soda Jerk Diner for lunch. We did not call ahead of time and just showed up with about 40 of us. They were very gracious to fit us all in, the service was excellent and quick and the food was great. I recommend them highly.

Soda Jerk - Cuisines: American, Diner, Hamburgers, Ice Cream

403 E Main St, Hummelstown, PA 17036

(717) 566-7707

How do you fit eating into the day when there's never enough time to see all the cars and talk to a few people? I carry things such as jerky in a back pack and stuff my jaws when I feel my sugar dropping. Then dinner in a restaurant after I leave the show and take time to give my tired legs a rest.

Edited by john2dameron
correct my carelessness (see edit history)

Been a few years, but I've been to the Soda Jerk in Hummelstown; if it's still like it was back then, classic '50s style diner, food was great, but again, been some time ago. Sounds like it's still the same, though.

Yes, beef jerky is always in my shoulder bag to gnaw on when I'm making the rounds at Hershey or Carlisle; another favorite are the assorted snack crackers like those peanut butter and cheddar cheese crackers; they come six to a package, and a box of them has eight packs. But, that's just to keep me going until I get to one of the vendors who happens to be in the right place at the right time.

I also stock up on some Hershey product while I'm there; glad they always have a tent close by to where you pick up the registration packets for the car show. I always pick up some Rollo's, which were a favorite of mine when I was a kid; always take something home for Mom and a couple other folks (as well as myself).

I know there's another place on West Chocolate Avenue that has an all-you-can-eat pizza/stromboli/Italian buffet Wednesday nights, kind of in the vicinity of Friendly's, and the Reese's building, but doggone it, can't remember the name. Lots of help I am, eh? Maybe someone can tell me which restaurant I'm thinking of.

I know there's another place on West Chocolate Avenue that has an all-you-can-eat pizza/stromboli/Italian buffet Wednesday nights, kind of in the vicinity of Friendly's, and the Reese's building, but doggone it, can't remember the name. Lots of help I am, eh? Maybe someone can tell me which restaurant I'm thinking of.

It's called Your Place and is located on 322 directly across from the Hershey Medical Center. Just around the corner from The Friendly's and Reese's.

Guest windjamer
:D I bring a cooler full of goodies,a camp stove coffee pot and a kettle and fry pan. The only food I buy is a order of Brickers french frys maby 50 yards from me and a ice cream from the guy all the way in the cornor of the field. Mornings I enjoy my own bacon and eggs fresh coffee and maby a cin.bun. Just the smell of my bacon makes my neigbor drool. I have to shair. I do go to the fire house for speget. on FRi. and your place sounds like a winner for Wed. I will try it this year. Sure wish there was a Golden Correll close by.:D Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)

All the information above this post has been compiled into a list to be posted on Friday or Saturday of this week. It will be a separate list from the all-in-one who will be at Hershey annual list. :)

If you need a copy of the lista before Friday let me know and I will e-mail it to you.

we go to the coco grill ( by wendys and mc ds on 39) for breakfast you can get eggs, toast and meat, hash brown potatos and coffee for under $5.00 bucks with tip and it is enough till dinner time. :):)

I was thinking that it was the Cocoa Diner. We found that place last year. The food is cheap and plenty of it.

• 2 years later...

Ok, I posted elsewhere but here goes: The field..hey, it is junk food mostly although there is a tent in front of the Giant Center that has a more sit down fare. Sherrie's crab cakes are always a hit and there is some BBQ and pizza that seems to sell well.

In town, if you have an unlimited budget. Devon's is divine (seafood), Fenucci's is great, Dafnos another great Italian place, What If, Chocolate Avenue Grille, there is a new bbq place called Smoke, a great restaurant called the Harvest up at the Hotel Hershey, a new amazing sweet shop on Chocolate avenue near What If but I can't remember the name tonight (something to do with sweet). Oh, and Troeg's Brewery is real popular to eat and sample their beers and it is right on Hersheypark Drive

For Old Car Fan, Shop Rat, and others who might miss the long gone Hershey mud, I will once again have some genuine vintage Hershey mud for you to see at my space, CE76. As a sideline, , I'll also have Model A, XK 120 Jaguar, and mixed make parts, plus some tools and literature. (yeah, I know, it's a sneaky way to put in a plug in a thread about food....)

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

• 4 years later...

The Walton Hotel is another of my favorites.  It has tremendous atmosphere and the good is great.  Really enjoy an evening outside there, and a stroll through the wonderful shops nearby just to walk off have eaten too much.     Glad to see the crab cakes are so popular, I usually eat my lunch there.  It's almost directly across from my spaces.

Terry

On the east side of the river in Harrisburg, on RT 22 just south of the farmer's hall, there is a polished steel diner, I think it is called The Est Shore Diner now. I used to get breakfast there on Saturday mornings when I stayed in Highspire.  It is standard diner food and pretty good. You may want to stop. If you look across the street there is a building with your logo wheel cast into the peak of the roof, minus the arrow. It looks like an old dealership or garage. I always enjoy seeing the building across the street as much as the diner.

On the grounds at Hershey, I always look forward to one of the overcooked turkey legs. I make a point of pointing to the one I want.

I am staying in Hershey and will probably ride over to the diner in the back corner of the Hummelstown plaza Friday night. I have been there a lot of times and it has good Hershey memories attached, around 7 PM. I will have a hat with USS Soley DD-707 on it and be sitting at the counter. I am friendlier than I look, MOST OF THE TIME.

I come from an area of the country that has a lot of Family Diners. If we are out for a ride in western New York I can ask my Wife if she wants to stop for lunch and we are usually within 20 minutes of a diner. A lot of places I travel don't have the economy to support those little businesses. So it is a standard for me and the taste buds can sense the grease. Booths and stools at a counter attract me more than tables and chairs. And five blaring TV's in a sports bar really have no appeal. If you are on RT 15, the New Buffalo Diner is nothing sterling in the food, but I ended up shooting the bull with a bunch of people there for an hour on a work trip.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)