what 1 buick would you want or do you have it already?

my65riv

I agree with Barney.... but if I had to pick the car I lusted after for years it would be a 47 Roadmaster convertible. I now have that car , through a series of good luck coincidences, and it is in fact the very car that I had heard about probably 30 years ago. It was a car owned by a guy here in town, that he told me he had this car, but I was never able to see it. He said it would never be sold, and was 'in storage'. I learned many years later that the storage was in fact under a leaky tarp, and about 13 years ago, I learned that a another friend of mine had acquired it, and at that time he said now that he had it he would never sell it.

I told him, if he ever decided to sell to call me. Well, about a year after that another car friend told me that the current owner offered it to him ( almost a basket case by now), and he wasn't sure it was worth it.

I called the owner asap and made the deal.

So, there's the long version. I have always loved the style of the 46/47/48 convert's. Turns out the original colours are just as I would have picked.... light blue poly, red leather trimmed interior and a white top. They don't get any prettier than that.

I guess I have upped the topic subject line to

what 1 buick would you want or do you have it already, and,if you have it what's the story behind it.

Cheers!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barney Eaton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a fair question, like potato chips....one is not enough. </div></div>

Absolutely..

But I am a big fan of the 66 Wildcat coupes and convertibles.

Of course, I'll take one of every body style 71 LeSabre and Centurion...just to round off the collection laugh.gif

Guest 63Stude

Mine would be a '65 Riviera Gran Sport, probably followed by a '65 Wildcat Custom Sport Coupe with bucket seats and console, followed by a '71 Riviera GS, followed by a '70 Wildcat Custom Sport Coupe with bucket seats and console...but oops, that's not one, is it? Color is way secondary for me, any color would do on a really nice car!

Bill P.

Guest my3buicks

Antique Ivory & Black or Shell Beige & Gray 57 Roadmaster Convertible or a 53 Roadmaster or Super Hardtop Cpe or Convertible (to replace the beauty I lost in my divorce)

Guest DaveCorbin

Can I have the Blackhawk for Christmas? Built by Buick in 2000, looks like a convertible coupe of my 39 Roadmaster sedan, and about 680HP from a crate 455 Buick fitted with 2005 fuel injection technology, black with a cream leather interior, power everything, 140 MPH in the quarter.

Yes, I got to ride in it at Richmond BCA National in 2000. A really astounding set of wheels!!! If I claim it before Roberta, will it be in my stocking for Christmas morning?

DROOL, Dave Corbin

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Hey Hey hey Dave .... just stop right there..... thats <span style="font-weight: bold">MY</span> Blackhawk your talking about laugh.gif. I too got to go for a spin at the 2004 Great Lakes Regional and the only thing that would have made it better would have been getting to drive it. However if I had gotten the chance to drive it, chances are I would just be coming up for a probation hearing right about now, cause I seriously doubt I would have brought it back.

Its hard to pick just one Buick I would like to have. This list is in no particular order :

75 & 76 Regal pace cars

78 LeSabre turbo sport coupe

72 Skylark Sun Coupe

65 Riviera

79 LeSabre Palm Beach

70 Wildcat

74 LeSabre convertible

Dan

Guest DaveCorbin

Hey, Dan:

Note that I've got 4 years seniority on you in the "I want the Blackhawk !!" line. But, anything for a friend. Can I have the Y job as my real choice for the sexiest Buick ever built?

If it wasn't a Buick show car, a nice 1933 Model 96C or a 1930 Cord L-29 roadster would be my nominees for "sexiest car alive." This from a guy who has actually driven a Bugatti type 57C, a P3 Alfa, 2 dfferent Duesenbergs, and a 12 cylinder Packard convertible.

The oddest was a 1939 Roadmaster sedan, just like mine except RHD. Strange "twilight zone" feeling in England in 1986.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Dan:

As a guy who spent 29 years building heavy trucks, the most interesting part of the Blackhawk to me was the frame stiffness under heavy acceleration.No twist or warp of any kind and no body shake at full power. Unlike many show cars and prototypes, it gives a very real sense of being a "real (and very serious) car".

The RHD 39 Roadmaster was a mirror image of my car right to left so I knew what and where everyting was. It was built at McLaughlin and had a sunroof and leather interior, both original to the car.

Just imagine trying to drive your car thru a mirror and you'll get the idea.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest windjamer

Mine is a 65 skylark gs.2 dr. h/t w/buckets and a 401.Its in the garage its mine and I built it, every nut bolt and screw. The story?? My wife bought it in 1968, drove it untill 79 and gave it to my stepson. He never put plates on it and sold it to be a parts car in 81. Fast forward to 1996 and his cousin found a pretty 65 gs in a farmers drive way. The cousin asked the farmer to sell it to him and the farmer agreed on condition he take the 3 parts cars in back of the barn too. My wife still had the registration for her 65, numbers where checked and one of the three was indeed her old car so after siting in a field for allmost 15 years I hauled it home and in 2006 it rec. a first jr. at aaca. Dick

My favorite cars are the ones with good stories to tell... I guess that's why my favorites are the ones I have restored because I know more details about their restoration and how each car is put together. So I really like the ones I have restored myself.

My most recent favorite is a 24 Buick PU that I picked up in Iowa. I got it running at the Buick National in MN just in time for the first PWD AfterTour. Even though I didn't do the restoration, it has provided great stories to tell about how I got it, fixed it, drove it and trailered it from Iowa to Vancouver WA for a friend who bought it on Ebay.

A year later I bought it from him and drove it again from Vancouver WA to the BCA National in Bellevue WA. with one of my Buick buddies who helped me fix it at the BCA National in MN.

I expect my 15 Buick speedster (The yellow & black BumbleBuick) will become my newest favorite when it is finished.

I must agree that a true collector cannot have just one favorite....

Boy what a decision crazy.gif

2 years ago the answer would have been a 65 Wildcat Custom Convertable but I was lucky enough to find a nice one grin.gif

As hard as it is to choose I would have to say:

<span style="font-weight: bold">1. 1938 Century Coupe,with sidemounts,Gainsborough Blue or Black. </span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">2. 1949 Super or Roadmaster Sedanette (any color I can find)

</span>

Then in no particular order:

1952 Super Riviera Coupe

1957 Super Riviera Coupe

1964 Riviera (Yellow)

66 or 67 Riv GS

67 GS 400 Convert.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Curently hunting for a nice 49 sedanette and a 66 or 67 GS Riv.............any leads appreciated </span>

buickman@bigpond.net.au

Guest 53Bob76R

I would love to have another 53 Roadmaster hardtop in red with the red and black interior. Of course a promise was made to my bride years ago that a 1941 Roadmaster Coupe would find its way home someday too!!

Guest imported_Thriller

I can't pick just one...there are a few cars I'd like to see in their prime, like a certain '29 McLaughlin-Buick I know as well as a '61 Invicta convertible.

With a few tweaks, I'm going to be pretty content with my '66 Wildcat. It was my first Buick, so it's got some sentimental attachment too.

Other Buicks I'd like to own:

1976 Century Pace Car (Dan - I just checked my sources after seeing you had put Regal)

1970 Wildcat 2 door HT or convertible

1936 or '37 4 door convertible

Of course, there are neat cars that might be available to me as well, like the '69 Electra 225 convertible for sale near here. I also just heard about a '17 McLaughlin-Buick. It would be nice to show up those T's that are everywhere.

There are definitely others...I'd still like to have some flavour of sedanette as well. As it now stands though, I don't really have space for the 7 I already own, so I'm trying to stay away from situations that would have me purchasing another...sigh.

It seems like the car I most want to own but have never been in the right place or time to was a '63 Riviera, preferably in silver with a silver interior. Except for that one, I loooooove my '53 Special. I've had a strange attraction to early '50s Buicks since I first visited Sloan Museum when I was about 11 or 12. I just love the smell of them (kind of weird).

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Aaron:

When I was director of the BCA chaper in Chicago, one of our members had exactly the Rivie you describe. As he was a paraplegic, it had Buick hand controls fitted. He was not a vet, but a victim of a childhood accident.

After WW2, a disabled vet could get a Buick rigged any way it needed to be for him. He bought the car and Buick gave him the controls free and paid for the installation. Their way of saying "Thanks".

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest wildcat62

A 72 Riviera GS, triple black with a sunroof. Seems to me I remember seeing one this summer in my storage area but it seemed to find it's way back to it's rightful home.....hmmm....

Loving boattails, I'd love a few more in different color combinations. A first generation Riv would be nice as well.

If money were no object, I'd have to have a 70 GS 455 convertible in stratomist blue with a white top and interior, sitting next to a Brunn bodied Buick of any color.

But like Derek, I'm really happy with the Buick's I have and don't have room for any more. smile.gif

Guest imported_Thriller

That being said Kris, I neglected to add a go fast car. A Stage 1 car would be nice, as well as one of those black cars grin.gif Over half my life is already over, so I'm past due for a mid-life crisis, right? cool.gif

Well I already have my favorite Buick covered-and then some! I have one of each 1968 Wildcat- coupe, convertible, 4 dr.hardtop and 4dr. sedan. The sedan is a twin to my very 1st car-and a Silver award winner at 2006 Nationals. But if I had a chance and the funds, I'd like a turn key, immaculate, LOADED 1968 Wildcat custom convertible red with white interior and a white top.

Since everyone has a dream list going, I'd also like a '57 Caballero, a '58 Limited, a'66/'67 Riviera GS, '66 Wildcat GS, and......many others! David

Guest Reatta1

For me it would be the attached. But since that ain't ever gonna happen, the next choice would be the 59 Invicta. Either the two door hardtop or the convertible. I'd be equaly happy with either one having having owned both in the past and kicked myself uncounted times for ever giving them up. After those it would be a 57 Special two door hardtop. Then would come the 66 LeSabre convertible, which I do own. Course I can't leave out the Reatta, of which I own an 88 with the suede bolster seats. smile.gif

post-31448-14313795997_thumb.jpg

Only one?? Well I guess it would be a 65 Wildcat convert with the dual carbs, fully loaded. However, if ya can have two cars unfinished which would be like one complete car a 72 Centurion convert could be added to the list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barney Eaton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a fair question, like potato chips....one is not enough. </div></div>

I resemble that remark!

I am a lucky person to be able to fulfill my dreams in my garage. If it were only 1 though. .

...65 Wildcat dual quad 4-speed. Red or black.

Ted

No question about it, if I could own only one, it would be a 1933 series 90 Victoria coupe. I stumbled on one at an antique car dealership in Dallas, Texas about 5 years ago, and before I could sell some cars, apply for a loan, and come up with the $29,000 they wanted for this spectacular maroon work of art, it was gone! Probably worth nearly twice that now....sigh...

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Easy. A triple black 64 Wildcat coupe, KX 425 2X4 4-speed 3.91 posi, deluxe interior with long console and boomerang shifter, radio-delete, trunk light delete, manual everything, with Formula Fives.

... or the 51 LeSabre, but that isn't happening any time soon so no reason to even consider it...

I would like a 38 Buick Century Coupe. If I could not find a Coupe I would still be happy with a sedan (but I really want a n opera coupe).

Rebecca

I've been watching this thread for awhile and didn't really think I could come up with only one.

But, after much thought I've decided the Buick that really does it for me isn't the Blackhawk ( whew, how hard was that to say!! ) but another car I saw with it at Flint in 2003.

My selection would have to be the 1910 Buick Bug. If that doesn't give you a tingle down the spine you'd have to check your pulse to see that heart is still pumping.

Maybe I'd settle for the second ( missing, gone??? ) bug which is probably stashed away in a barn somewhere.

Most of you know me as a fairly hardcore Olds guy, but there are a few Buicks that could live in my driveway. In no particular order of preference:

1) 1959 LeSabre Riviera sedan. Out of the whole space-age 1959 GM lineup, this car looks the most like it's ready to take off into the stratosphere. The "Time Travel" ad series proved it. Plus a great-uncle had one. Both his boys drove it while they were at the University of Richmond, and they had UR and "Spiders" decals on the windshield and back glass wraparounds, plus their frat decals. Cool stuff to a 10-year-old. The new PC Richmond Spider pales in comparison.

2) 1963-66 Wildcat. Preferably a sport coupe, but a 4-door HT with buckets and console would make me happy too.

3) 1962 Electra in any body style, but it would have to be metallic pink. Olds called the color Sunset Mist; not sure what Buick called it. A definitive early 60s color. I regret not at least making an offer on the one that was at Fall Carlisle 2003.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rocketraider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1962 Electra in any body style, but it would have to be metallic pink. Olds called the color Sunset Mist; not sure what Buick called it. A definitive early 60s color. </div></div>

Glenn, Buick called that spectacular 1962 color "Camelot Rose". It's one of my favorites. And, in reference to your entire list, I'd call you an Olds guy with great taste in old Buicks!

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rocketraider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1) 1959 LeSabre Riviera sedan. Out of the whole space-age 1959 GM lineup, this car looks the most like it's ready to take off into the stratosphere. The "Time Travel" ad series proved it. Plus a great-uncle had one. Both his boys drove it while they were at the University of Richmond, and they had UR and "Spiders" decals on the windshield and back glass wraparounds, plus their frat decals. Cool stuff to a 10-year-old. The new PC Richmond Spider pales in comparison.

2) 1963-66 Wildcat. Preferably a sport coupe, but a 4-door HT with buckets and console would make me happy too.

</div></div>

Hmmm...I have a line on a '59 LeSabre 2 door...of course, my 7 year old wants it, so I'd have to keep that. I also have a '66 Wildcat Custom 2 door hardtop...I guess I'm going to have to keep an eye on my Buicks should you ever wander up this way wink.gif

For '62 though, I only have the baby Buick, so we don't quite have a complete match.

It just struck me as interesting as I started reading your post how similar my reality is to your "Buick Dream Garage".