what 1 buick would you want or do you have it already?

my65riv

Guest rlbleeker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rocketraider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Olds called the color Sunset Mist; not sure what Buick called it.</div></div>

A great color, I've got a '62 Jetfire that color. There are so many great Buicks, how could you ever choose? Guess that's why the garage is overflowing.

I am fortunate enough to have driven both the Buick "Bug" and the Blackhawk. Sometimes it pays to live in the Flint area! I cant have the Blackhawk, so I built my 37 coupe the same color and with a 455 ( it is just carbureted, but goes pretty good anyway)

I agree that one Buick is not enough because there are too many different organizations that won't accept a "catchall car"

I have : 72 GS 455 convertible for the GS club

: 37 coupe for the street rod groups

: 40 Super Convertible for the BCA

: 69 Sport Wagon for the BDE

Joe Taubitz

If I could have just one Buick the choice is pretty easy for me. It would have to be the first car that I can remember, and the car that introduced me to Buicks when I was 3. It was my dads new 54 Super tutone blue sedan. That car transported our family from Northern Illinois on trips along RT 66 to places like the Arkansas Ozarks to see my grandparents, to visit friends in Scottsdale AZ and eat oranges right from the tree, and to San Diego to swim in the Pacific. Later it took us to the top of Pikes Peak near Colorado Springs, through the 2 lanes in Nebraska to visit the Harold Warp Pioneer Village. Most of these miles with the windows down but we did not care.

If I had the car today I would add Skylark wire wheels and vintage air. Just a four door sedan, but it made for great memories.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Old Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am fortunate enough to have driven both the Buick "Bug" and the Blackhawk. Sometimes it pays to live in the Flint area! I cant have the Blackhawk, so I built my 37 coupe the same color and with a 455 ( it is just carbureted, but goes pretty good anyway)

I agree that one Buick is not enough because there are too many different organizations that won't accept a "catchall car"

I have : 72 GS 455 convertible for the GS club

: 37 coupe for the street rod groups

: 40 Super Convertible for the BCA

: 69 Sport Wagon for the BDE

Joe Taubitz </div></div>

Joe,

You've driven the BUG!!!

How about a quick rundown on what it was like. I heard it running at Flint in 2003, that was awesome and had a real close look at it in the Sloan Museum. There was a sign that said " Don't Touch " but I was in my second childhood and couldn't help touching it with at least one finger. So I thought I was doing well having touched it, but to actually drive it, incredible.

I second Stuarts request. Tell us about it. I remember seeing it drive through the swap meet area and I couldn't believe the sound of the exhaust. It was like individual small bombs going off with each flash of the spark plugs.

Sounded so powerful in an odd sort of way.

JD

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JalopyBob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I could have just one Buick the choice is pretty easy for me. It would have to be the first car that I can remember, and the car that introduced me to Buicks when I was 3. It was my dads new 54 Super tutone blue sedan. That car transported our family from Northern Illinois on trips along RT 66 to places like the Arkansas Ozarks to see my grandparents, to visit friends in Scottsdale AZ and eat oranges right from the tree, and to San Diego to swim in the Pacific. Later it took us to the top of Pikes Peak near Colorado Springs, through the 2 lanes in Nebraska to visit the Harold Warp Pioneer Village. Most of these miles with the windows down but we did not care.

If I had the car today I would add Skylark wire wheels and vintage air. Just a four door sedan, but it made for great memories. </div></div> Bob, Here's your chance A rare 6 bolt 3 speed Super. If it wasn't in CA I'd be very interested. Looks to be very much worthy of restoration.

When Terry Dunham approached the BMD about a BCA meet in Flint in 1971, the powers that be at Buick thought it would be a nice touch to have the "Bug" as a running display in the parking lot behind the administration building.

The Bug had not run in quite some time, so they asked me to go to Sloan Museum and help Jim Johnson get it running.We worked on it and got it fired up , and I have been the driver at all the Buick meets since.

In 2003 ,for the 100th anniversary, they took it to Milan dragway ,and I drove it down the strip.

The Bug has a 622 cubic inch 4 cylinder engine with a 3 speed selective gear box ( which was cutting edge at that time) The brakes , if you want to call them that ,are BAD! It has rear external contracting bands, for the brake pedal, and an external contracting band on a drum behind the trans that works off a lever. Neither are very good. The drivers that went 105 MPH in this had to have titanium gonads!

Originally it was hand cranked to start it, but when Charley Chane got it from Charley Howard, he took it into Buick and had them install a starter ring and a starter.

There is a spark and throttle control lever on the steering wheel, and also a foot throttle.

There are 2 tanks behind the driver, that are pressurized by a pump in the drivers compartment.One tank is gas, and the othr is oil. The driver has an oil gauge and when he sees the pressure drop, he can open a petcock under his right leg which allows oil from the tank to flow under pressure into the crankcase. When oil blows out the breathers, he shuts it up.

The Bug has a solid brass flywheel that weighs 140pounds and a multiple disc clutch. The last time I drove it the clutch was slipping quite baddly, and the engine needed tuning, as it really was missing.

The steering is very quick,and under the steel covers are wood spoke wheels. The long drag link from the steering to the front wheel is also wood, and I can't believe they were able to drive at those speeds with such primitive equipment.

I am also fortunate enough to be friends with Harold Calhoun, who is the truck driver that hauls many of the GM concept cars to different functions. I was at the Great Lakes Regional a few years ago ,when he told me to jump in the Blackhawk ,and give some people rides.

Guest fourholer

I am very fortunate in that I have the Buick that I always wanted. Several years ago, I had a 1949 Chrysler New Yorker that was at the point that needed work that I could not complete. I took it to a mechanic who restored antiques and he had a 1951 Roadmaster sedan sitting in his lot.

I sold the New Yorker and bought the Buick. She was originally all black (aren't they all) but is now 2-tone with a Cloudmist Gray top. I've always liked sedans and since they are generally less expensive, better for me.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Rod

Guest Dans 77 Limited

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am also fortunate enough to be friends with Harold Calhoun, who is the truck driver that hauls many of the GM concept cars to different functions. I was at the Great Lakes Regional a few years ago ,when he told me to jump in the Blackhawk ,and give some people rides. </div></div>

And being one of the fortunate people who got a ride that day , I want to say thanks to you and Harold both ... it was a blast. By the way Joe if you remember my wife was pretty sick at the time .... she talked about her ride in the Blackhawk all the way home that day. She has since made a full recovery, maybe you and Harold helped that along.

Dan

OK Buick People: I always wanted a..........

60 Invicta Custom Convert and coupe

63 Riv

64 Riv

65 Riv GS

(indicates purchase date of the car I now own)

60 Buick Invicta Custom Convert (2006) coupe (1984, 86, 99)

63 Riv (sold 1970)

64 Riv (sold 1974) (1997, 06, 06, 07, 07)

65 Riv GS (sold 1974) (1976,07)

Grandpa says to Herman, "Herman, answer the phone". Herman replies, "Grandpa, it's not ringing". The phone then rings. Grandpa says, Why wait"?

I like what I like. Why wait? Mitch

I know what I would like to do to the "person" (used loosely) who built that abortion...

I am a car guy, but I will never understand these three automotive movements:

Pro Street

Rice

Bubbles, Boxes and Donks (as above)

Monster trucks don't make a lot of sense to me either, but most of those are totally off-road.

I got one, '70 GSX, Stage 1, #14 made, so I can't complain except it's Chicago car with some rust, I have all the parts to make it right, just need the time to do it, or hire someone, which makes me nervous, cause you can't control your hired help, so it still sits in all it's glory in my garage as I continue to procrastinate about getting it done, I have too many other projects already apart or to finish, but maybe soon, I will do something, I can only hope.

I'd also like a '38 Buick Coupe, since it was the last year of the stick in the floor, and maybe something with a stick and a nailhead, like a '65 GS or Wildcat, dreaming again!

My love is my 1935 96C convertable coupe. My first old car was a 1927 Standard 4 door sedan. That led me to oovet a 1927 Convertable coupe and I spent a lot of time looking at the picture in 70 years of Buick. Last year one droped on my door step without any effort from me. It is in pieces but it is a 27 54CC. I believe that I am quite fortunate.

I am still looking for a 1922-1924 SD4, a 4 cyl truck. I had one but a condo project in a bad real estate market forced me to let it go. I am interested in one in any condition.