Recommendations for temporary garage kits to store my old car..??

StylishOne

There are many brands to choose from but I want a decent, covered, secure from wind, weatherproof, for under $500. Sturdy frame and vinyl type with all sides top n front covered too are what I'd like, 10x20 or larger.

Thought some of you guys have bought them and would share what brands are good and recommend where to buy them too..Thanks! 

A lot depends on location. I see that you are located in the northeast so weather will be a factor. I don't think anything you can purchase for $500 will stand up to a NY/NJ winter. First Nor Easter or Blizzard and it's trashed.

The HF one serviced me fine , in northeast for two years until got garage built . Knock snow off occasionally . Gave to buddy to cover machinery . Cost about 200 on sale 4 years ago . May start to degrade after 3 or 4 years if out in full sun . I upgraded anchoring by getting canopy/tent kit with eight screw type anchors and cheap harbor ratchet straps . Tied straps to upper frame and a zip screw to each tube joint ,throughout .

20160315_120439.thumb.jpg.488da1147960eba3e24bd844c52fa1ea.jpg

I had a  shelter logic. Seemed good however here in the Pacific North West when we get snow it is often quite wet / heavy.  The structure was only 6 months old when a unusually heavy overnight snow fall occurred .  When I went out in the morning to have a look the tubular framework had collapsed causing significant tearing of the cover.  In short a dead loss.

Greg

I put up this 10x20 Shelter Logic in June, as a temporary solution to my storage needs. The biggest issue with these tents is there is no base that comes with them, so ideally you need to make some sort of foundation for them. I leveled the ground within an 1" or so and used 2x6 on flat to make a perimeter and 2x6 cross pieces as well. This gave me something to screw the feet on ends of posts to and I also placed 300 lbs of blocks on the sides to help prevent any wind issues. As per manufacturers instructions, I tightened the material uniformly all around. Have not gone thru a winter yet, but have had 50 mph winds with no issue.

IMG_5230 (1).JPG

IMG_5231 (1).JPG

I had a cheap shelter like some of those above and it worked okay... then a really strong storm came and caused more than $500 in paint damage because I didn't have it set up quite sturdy enough. I've also seen tents like those above attached to platforms and have held up for over a decade with no issue. I'd imagine both the platform and the tent each are over $500 for those quality ones that won't get damaged by the sun after a  year. I'd bet you could find a local barn with a little space for $500 for the winter. I rent a 20x60 shop with electric for $200 a month from a local guy. It's a better than normal bargain, but they can be found.

Have any of you purchased the kind that is a clear plastic that you attach an air compressor to keep it inflated?  I suspect better for a motorcycle, but they have always intrigued me.  If they work, it would seem to be better than many as the air is constantly moving, no ground to allow moisture to cause rust.  

1 hour ago, AJFord54 said:

Have any of you purchased the kind that is a clear plastic that you attach an air compressor to keep it inflated?  I suspect better for a motorcycle, but they have always intrigued me.  If they work, it would seem to be better than many as the air is constantly moving, no ground to allow moisture to cause rust.  

I could be wrong, but I think those are intended for indoor storage, to keep the dust off and manage the humidity etc.  As you pointed out, I recall that a feature of these tents was air movement, which would help to control the enclosed climate of the tent.

Cheers,

Grog

You can use your own judgement as to what size and brand to buy but 2 important things to know. It must be anchored down so there is no mistake about it. Every time we get a bad wind storm a few of these shelters get blown across the road, the ones that are anchored down correctly stay put. Another tip is to cover the roof with plywood before you put the cover on. This gives extra support and prevents the covering from sagging or tearing under heavy snow loads. And of course, you should brush or sweep the snow off after a heavy snow storm. If you do these things even a cheap shelter will last a lot longer, probably 5 years at least.

If you get snow in your area you’re better off with a round top tent, they are more money but a stronger design and more or less self sheds the snow off, then it piles up along sides and helps to further strengthen it up and hold it down.  There’s always gonna be that one blustery storm that hits in the middle of the night that could turn the whole thing into a pile of junk and damage what’s inside.  Even with the best ones you’re rolling the dice.

I have bought 3 18x21 carports from Carolina carports for around 1000. each. these are permanent structures and installation is included.

cant beat them with a baseball bat!

I too am in NJ.

a little more then the OP wants to spend, but quality and longevity is great.

On 11/12/2018 at 12:18 PM, ArticiferTom said:

The HF one serviced me fine , in northeast for two years until got garage built . Knock snow off occasionally . Gave to buddy to cover machinery . Cost about 200 on sale 4 years ago . May start to degrade after 3 or 4 years if out in full sun . I upgraded anchoring by getting canopy/tent kit with eight screw type anchors and cheap harbor ratchet straps . Tied straps to upper frame and a zip screw to each tube joint ,throughout .

20160315_120439.thumb.jpg.488da1147960eba3e24bd844c52fa1ea.jpg

Tom, I know from engineering principles that

the cover depicted will accommodate almost ZERO snow load.

And I don't think one could count on significant snow to slide off.

A person would have to be very careful and knock snow off

constantly.  As 1912Staver notes in posting #7, it wouldn't

take much weight of snow to destroy the framework--

and damage the car underneath.  When an unforeseen snowfall

falls overnight, one might wake up to an unpleasant surprise.

I've seen heavy galvanized steel half-cylinders for storage, 

and they are probably strong enough if you specify the correct snow load.

But they might not be welcome in an attractive residential area.

Mr. Stylish, are garages affordable to rent in your town?

A properly built garage would be a safer alternative. 

• Like 1

I don't know this company;  but in case you

live in a rural area where this kind of cover might

be appropriate, here's the link.  Better quality costs more:

https://www.steelmasterusa.com/commercial-buildings/agricultural-buildings/

"Our steel agricultural buildings are some of the strongest structures

in the industry. Every SteelMaster Quonset Hut is constructed with

high quality, commercial grade steel that is corrugated at our factory

to further enhance the strength of the building. Our portable steel buildings

are designed to withstand some of the most severe weather events

including category 5 hurricanes, powerful tornadoes, dangerous hail storms,

and heavy snow loads."

junk--steel quonset hut.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

22 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Tom, I know from engineering principles that

the cover depicted will accommodate almost ZERO snow load.

And I don't think one could count on significant snow to slide off.

I did not have problem . This was 14+ inches in March 14 2017 , Had pushed off roof , with broom from underneath ,  before starting to cleanup around . My son shot the pic . Did sag, but pretty strong . Used it  two Winters had many of snows on . Also had some wind storms so added additional tie to bumpers  . Once ground froze around screw tent anchor was not moving til thaw .

What happens with most snow storms the wind causes it to flex and self removes the snow . The long slow one like shown one is where it sticks .

657645750_Snow314.thumb.JPG.3028b07d5afb34894b6cdd210a6f2a79.JPG

One year I parked my '64 Riviera in a storage tent. After a snowfall the sun came out and water ran into a big sag that got heavy enough to bend the support tubing. That end of the tent collapsed forming a pool that draped across my left front fender. Then it got cold again and the water froze to form a perfect female mold of the fender. And trapped the car so I couldn't back out. It stayed cold for a couple of weeks before it thawed and I liberated my car.

Since 2005 I have had a real good relationship with the self storage guy. $110 a month gets me a 10' X 20" unit whenever I need it. I am trying to figure out which car is going in after Thanksgiving just to get some elbow room at home. It has to be one I don't mind not seeing for 3 or 4 months. That's the hard part. I like just sitting with them.

Bernie

I keep mine under weatherproof car covers. Here where I am the wind comes across the field to the south and will destroy nearly any non-permanent structure. I have had good luck with a Duck Covers brand for my 29 Stud and I am testing a Coleman for the 1970 Siata (mostly because I could not find a Duck Cover small enough). 

In my part of the world a lot of people use second hand 20 or 40 foot shipping containers for storage.  

They are nearly indestructable, reasonably cheap to buy and you will probably get most of your money back when you finally sell it. The 20 footers can be delivered on the back of a tilt tray tow truck.