Why is it?

captndan

Some of you still don't get it...

NONE of the cars seem to have any market value or demand by "restorers".  Restorers of that age of car, as a general rule, are too old to start another project, or make room in their garage.  Most are relocating/downsizing already....duh, that's why there is an increasing glut of unwanted prewars, with exception of classics.

So, you all P... and moan when some person saves it, and rods it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

It allows people to complain, "that's wrong!" while pointing at a part is a great conversation starter at event and will endear you to the car owner. Try it and see. Bob

LOL. I recently was sitting in a chair beside my car at a Meet reading a magazine, when a gentleman I had never met came by and pointed to a part on it and said "You know that's incorrect, don't you?"....... "You're right", I replied and continued reading for a few moments. Happily, I think this caused him to rethink his approach, and we wound up having a good conversation.

"Normal" tires are no longer used, hard to find, and must be special ordered for a premium price. Even 14 and 15 inch tires, that were common from the late fifties to the early 90s, are hard to get now. It may be easier to just order chrome wheels and modern tires if you don't know your way around.

All kinds of tires are available via the Internet. Just throw your size in Ebay and see what you get.  Remember you have to search every way you can possibly spell it,  but I'm sure you will eventually come up with something.   I think more people put chrome wheels on cars to jazz them up than just for sake of a tire change.  I've almost blown over a few ads for older cars that had fancy wheels (30's and 40's) thinking they were rodded only later to find in the ad the car is pretty much stock other than mags.  Nice thing is the easiest thing to change on any car is the wheels and tires. 

THere's alot of questionable things done to cars over the years. I dont worry about it too much as long as someone is having fun with their car I think its all good. We have all seen that car at a cruise in where we cant believe someone wants it but there it is. You see "tacky" stuff in stores and in peoples houses and you let it go so why are cars different? All tastes are different and unless its something that is only one of a kind I dont worry about modifications. LIfes too short.

• Like 7

On 5/15/2017 at 11:36 AM, captndan said:

Why is it that most cars listed 1925 to 1940 have mag or chrome wheels?  Some people just can't leave a fine old car alone.

Maybe you are looking in the wrong places:

http://www.3638buickclub.org/advertisements.html

None of the ones on that site have mag or chrome wheels.

• Like 1

No mags, but:

·         Original paint checked extensively. Needs interior and wiring. Bumpers need chrome. Runs well ex-cept carburetor hassles.

·         My original plan was to get this Buick into a condition where I could tour around the country in it. Unfortunately my age and health have gotten in the way. I have about 15K in it not counting my labor. I would like to get that back out of it.

·         Would like  to trade for another Roadmaster that is completed and drivable or sell. I do not have the time to restore.

·         I bought this car about six years ago because I thought it was the perfect candidate for a restoration. 

I guess there is always a hitch.

Bernie

46 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

No mags, but:

·         Original paint checked extensively. Needs interior and wiring. Bumpers need chrome. Runs well ex-cept carburetor hassles.

·         My original plan was to get this Buick into a condition where I could tour around the country in it. Unfortunately my age and health have gotten in the way. I have about 15K in it not counting my labor. I would like to get that back out of it.

·         Would like  to trade for another Roadmaster that is completed and drivable or sell. I do not have the time to restore.

·         I bought this car about six years ago because I thought it was the perfect candidate for a restoration. 

I guess there is always a hitch.

Bernie

While the two that you copied text from are the ones in the worst condition either could still be a good HPOF or DPC car with very little work.

And you left out the best line on the first one: 
Price reduced to 10,000.00

I restored a 49 Ford pickup but went with newer wheels as the originals were widow makers.  No tire shop would touch them and I believe they are illegal. 

So sometimes a change is needed for safety. 

My 38 Studebaker is all original and the tires are also the correct type/style. 

Have fun 

• Like 1

Of all the things I have tried to teach my Wife over decades it seems only one has stuck. She has no problem saying "I thought you said you weren't going to buy any more work."

I read all the ads 1950's style; reading to comprehend, looks like a lot of people selling the work they never did or got around to in most of the hobby ads. A few exceptions, but lots of odd jobs

I know taking things out of context is wrong, honestly, i do. But that is my Wife's influence again. Left wing liberal, ain't it true, opposites attract.

Bernie

• Like 1

One way of thinking about having something that is not necessarily correct is to remember that you are Showing for Points at most of the Meets. You don't need a perfect 400 Points Score to reach any of the levels, from Junior up to Grand National, that AACA awards are based at. I know I have some deductible things but over the years, as the car advances to the next level, I attempt to make the corrections, if possible. Sometimes I can and sometimes I can't due to availability of OEM, or Retro parts.  When someone points out a deductible part I appreciate hearing about it as a big part of the Hobby, IMO, is learning, finding, and fixing these things while trying to get to 400, if possible. The only time I disliked a comment being made was when a person, not involved in the judging, made his comment in front of the Judges while they were in the process of scoring my car.  

I guess that over the years I've come to realize that the more proud a guy feels about his vehicle, or other possessions, too, I suppose, the more compelled he feels to put his mark on it. I've seen a lot of beautiful old cars, whether restored or original, embellished with silly factory or aftermarket accessories to the point of truly distracting from their original clean, simple lines. I guess that for some there never seems to be a point where the owner realizes that there is just one too many adornments. I suspect that this happens in minimal ways, as well. Maybe the car just doesn't feel right until the owner puts wheels of his own choosing on his ride.

The thing that makes me puke is seeing those 17" wheels with low profile tires on a Muscle Car! The thing looks like a Conestoga Wagon! When I see one for sale, the first thing I would ask is where are the original wheels and tires?

• Like 3

I know chrome wire wheels are not correct, but I like them for the following reasons:

#1  It's my car, and my choice.

#2  I'm a 40+ year AACA member and never show this car.

#3  I lived in Florida when I built it and summer driving in Florida without A/C was lonely without my wife.

#4  My own opinion is that it's a awesome looking 100% functional vehicle.

#5  Everybody else except the anti chrome and anti whitewall people seem to agree.

592738df4caec_CopyofRonpic.jpg.44dccd2e61e7b44cc78fb72632e78abb.jpg

• Like 5

On 5/16/2017 at 7:46 PM, 60FlatTop said:

I know taking things out of context is wrong, honestly, i do. But that is my Wife's influence again. Left wing liberal, ain't it true, opposites attract.

Bernie

I'm a liberal as well Bernie but there will NEVER be an attraction to you.........except for your sense of humor........ ;) 

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 6:16 PM, 60FlatTop said:

Think that kind of stuff has been going on long?

accessory.jpg.5dc24c65b893203ebce693d7e9bbf5d7.jpg

^^^ to the unknowing here on AACA, that 36 Ford has very rare, but once popular when new, "Pines" Brand Grille and hood wrap-around chromed pieces, which simulated the new 36 Cords.     It also seems to have the smoothed/shave chromed piece that eliminated the protruding V8 Emblem at top of radiator shell

I am not familiar with the side pipes.  I have never seen those on an original Pines equipped 36 Ford.

Car above seems to have the acc;y Ford Spider Chromed wheel trim...and perhaps smoothie caps?

I bought a 36 Ford 4 dr humpback convertible sedan in 1974 with the Pines setup, on the car since it was new.

Pines grille for a 32 Ford in mint shape, easily sell for over 10K on ebay...

• Like 1

The old saying "you can't legislate taste" kind of fits this very well.  The post above is still technically wrong but looks like a very good solution to provide for a safe wheel that looks as close to original as possible. I know the widow makers on my 49 F3 pickup were dangerous so I went with mags that looked like old style truck wheels. Better safe than sorry 

• Like 1

Wheels are about the most difficult decision on my cars as well.

Cost a lot and no guarantee that I will like them in the long run.

Most of my creations get steel wheels and bub caps (or should I say wheel covers).

I had to step up pretty tall to have those wire wheels on the rat rod built, a very tough decision for such a cheapskate.

Desoto and boat #3.JPG

003.JPG

06-28-~1 (2).jpg

28 Dodge project 024.jpg

10 hours ago, Roger Walling said:

I hate mags too, that's why I had these made out of 3/8" steel.

DSCN0065.JPG

Those are some good looking wheels on a good looking project.  Where and by whom did you have the wheels made?

It looks like you're going the resto-mod route with it.  At the risk of offending the purists :Don here, could you provide some details?

Cheers,

Grog

15 hours ago, capngrog said:

Those are some good looking wheels on a good looking project.  Where and by whom did you have the wheels made?

It looks like you're going the resto-mod route with it.  At the risk of offending the purists :Don here, could you provide some details?

Cheers,

Grog

Ok, here goes, I will duck when the wrenches start flying.

I started with a nice car with very little rot.

I restromoded it as it could not be used as a modern driver the way it was.

It has a 350 with auto trans, a Mustang rear with coilovers, Fatman front end and Corker tires.

The wheels were made by Trudesign wheel, (800 621 6426) and I would recommend them to everyone as they were very accommodating  with me. They worked out very well.

It cruises at highway speeds and could get some very funny looks when you pass someone at 80 mph. (of course I never drove it at that speed!)

DSCN0001.JPG

DSCN0395.JPG

DSCN0600.JPG

DSCN0602.JPG

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)