Is there a young Buick collector market?

60FlatTop

agreed. Unfortunately, anything that requires effort, education, and responsibility often does not appeal to the younger generations (of which I am part). They replace things because something better comes out, not because they have to. A vast majority doesn't care to take the time to show an interest in such a hobby. While we certainly don't need WWIII, we do need some other type of forcible massive national undertaking in order to instill these traits once again that made us great, but are slowly disappearing now every day.

Read the article with interest. Thanks for posting. While I think predicting the future of classics may be similar to predicting the weather, some of the data is good food for thought and will probably come to fruition in some degree. There has always been younger generations that don't follow the foot steps of parents relative to hobbies so not sure what level of influence it will have or how rapid it will take place. There is a segment of young people that while they seemingly have no interest in antique cars while in their 20s,30s or 40s, when they hit 50 that can change for obvious reasons. Though they have their faults, TV shows like Counting Cars, Fast N Loud, and a host of other buy'em and fix'em shows help attract the interest of young'ins into the hobby.

One factor in the equation that would act to slow or reverse the trend is going to be the state of the economy in general. If we as a country can find a way to remove the choke holds that are strangling the economy we can once again become prosperous where higher numbers of people have disposable income looking for something frivilous to spend it on.......like classic cars. Certain models will always have an ebb and flow of whats in demand but where one model may drop in value another will take its place. On the flip side if the economy continues to sputter, the average demand for classic cars will decrease along with prices on all but the most desireable models.

One factor in the equation that would act to slow or reverse the trend is going to be the state of the economy in general. If we as a country can find a way to remove the choke holds that are strangling the economy we can once again become prosperous where higher numbers of people have disposable income looking for something frivilous to spend it on.......like classic cars. Certain models will always have an ebb and flow of whats in demand but where one model may drop in value another will take its place. On the flip side if the economy continues to sputter, the average demand for classic cars will decrease along with prices on all but the most desireable models.

I agree on the economy and the price to get into the hobby. It is not something that can be done for the price of an I phone or computer. By the time you get a vehicle, maybe a trailer and a tow vehicle, you could easily pass $30-50K without breaking a sweat. Would like my son to continue with some interest, but you can never tell what will strike the interest of the younger generation.

There are driveable "old" cars on local Craigslist's every day for very affordable prices (well under $10,000). The previous generations revolved around making cars and car parts, and that booming industry that America still relies on on. Now it's different. Unless you have a person that takes the time to help you grow your interest, it's lost. People don't work 40 years in a factory making cars and car parts like they used to. They don't work on their own cars anymore. They don't have any commitment to the industry. All of those people that showed interest because their lives revolved around it are lost. The people working at Toyota here in KY, Nissan in MS, etc are not the same people who worked in Detroit, Linden, etc. It all starts there.

Sometimes it all starts with the individual and how they are introduced.

I have a 23 year old nephew who has worked on my cars with me and likes it.

Now, he is working on his own car and enjoying doing the work.

My tools and shop equipment are going to him when the time comes.

His 20 year old brother could care less, he smokes pot and plays video games.

Same upbringing for both, with the same chances in life.

I think a lot of the non-interest of the younger crowd is a result of the complexity of modern cars. How many of us can work on a modern car? I know I can't. I grew up in the 1960's and 1970's when I could understand what I was doing. My father showed my how simple it was to fix a car. Cars from that era are still simple to understand and work on. Most of the younger generation has no interest in repairing their own cars because they know it takes a trained technician to do most anything. They don't have the time or money to get the proper training and, thus, there are fewer people who can actually work on them.

Being 65 and going on 115, I thought this was an interesting article. A friend my age told me about the article over the weekend:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/baby-boomers-created-the-classic-car-marketand-could-crash-it-feature

Bernie

This one made the rounds over at jalopnik awhile back.

I'm in my mid-40s and I think it just comes around to

1) having a thing for cars

2) people in their 20s & 30s grew up in an age where nearly every car was fuel injected and computer controlled, such that the older ones seem less reliable

3) fuel reasons -- efficiency, older cars needing lead additives

4) manufacturer leasing programs since the 80s that place the focus on the newer cars while taking it away from the idea that a car can be a long-held investment

5) constant fixing & upkeep

Most folks in that 20s & 30s age set are have college loans to pay off (many tens and sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars) that don't leave room for much else, and the value proposition of car collecting is harder to rationalize.

I gotta say that even the prices I see in the Bugle of late are leading me to the idea that I might finally live the dream of owning and driving a 50s Buick, and I like that idea!

It's an interesting topic, for sure.

-- Randy

I'm 25. I love anything automotive. Most of the time when I ask people my age why they don't have a classic it's simply because they have to many other important things going on. New house, new kids, new car to safely drive the new kids in. Now I was fortunate enough to be taught the value of working hard to pay off debts early. Without that I would have never been able to afford any of the vehicles I have. But I know at least in my group of friends that their is still an interest in old cars. Give them a few years to get their stuff together and I would bet you will start to see more of our generation buying classics.

Dan,

I hope you are correct with the younger generation eventually coming around.

I am one of those persons that have the knowledge and technology to work on current / modern cars.

If you have the tools, it can be easier to fix a modern car than an old one. Example, which cylinder is misfiring??? New cars with the correct scanner can tell you in less than one minute.

I'm 25. I love anything automotive. Most of the time when I ask people my age why they don't have a classic it's simply because they have to many other important things going on. New house, new kids, new car to safely drive the new kids in. Now I was fortunate enough to be taught the value of working hard to pay off debts early. Without that I would have never been able to afford any of the vehicles I have. But I know at least in my group of friends that their is still an interest in old cars. Give them a few years to get their stuff together and I would bet you will start to see more of our generation buying classics.

How refreshing to hear the the words "working hard" from a 25 year old from what I call the entitlement generation! There is hope afterall! You are a Great American and will go far with that attitude!

Many good responses on this topic. Its a little more complex than we probably realize.

As far as late model cars being more difficult to work on, I have not experienced that at least working on Ford Trucks, Subarus and Toyotas. Certain problems can require special equipment but most problems do not other than a $50 code scanner. Along with high tech cars comes high tech information highways for the DIYS'r. In the rare event a newer daily driver has an issue, I just look up the problem on the internet and there are specialty forums with answers and personal youtube videos not only telling what the problem is but showing you how to repair it step by step including what tools you need. Back in the day I would have made alot less mistakes and saved alot of money had the internet been available. And thats when cars were simple!

In keeping with Dan's comments, I agree that people still in their 20s & 30s simply don't have the time and resources yet.

How many of us grey guys bought their collector cars when we were that young?

I think most of the future collectors just have not matured enough to have the time and resources to collect and/or restore old cars.

Interests change over time. Different generations will collect what interests them, when they can. And my experiences have shown that many younger folks are indeed interested in the "mundane" collector cars. But as the article points out, it will be hard to sell these mundane cars in the future. What the article does not say, but should, is that it is hard to sell these mundane cars today because of the general impression that every buyer is willing and capable of paying a premium for any collector car. Maybe if the concern is; I'll never get the price that car is worth! Then the owner should reconsider what to do with such a car.

I'll recommend: Use it up. Enjoy it WHILE you can. Eat the cake! If you have no beneficiary with an interest, consume the car during your lifetime. Hell, if your beneficiary is just going to sell it for pennies on your hard earned dollars, then what's the difference? If we have any luck at all, we'll have gobs of fun, and memories of good times, while the value of the toy will drop to the point it is easier to sell to those folks who are showing an interest today.

We have the same problem in the Model T Ford Club.

My dad loved Model T Fords. That’s about all he thought about and talked about. He finally was able to put one together. I was interested but I only got to help him work on it. He never let anyone drive it.

(That is the key) You have to get them behind the wheel. I’m not saying to put them in your show car, but if you have a good driver, that is what will get their interest. When my dad passed away I had to learn how to drive the T by myself. It took awhile. Then it was so much fun I decided to let everyone in our family drive it. At our family reunion in 2007, from 2 years old to 80 years old we drove that car around the barn in low gear with me on the running board working the foot pedal and hand brake.

We even gave out certificates that said “I drove Grandpa Frank’s Model T” Everyone still talks about that day. Old cars drive differently than anything else most of them have ever driven. They won’t forget it!

post-50945-143142416753_thumb.jpg

Cars meant something completely different to the boomers. They meant freedom, holidays, cheap transportation. For kids these days internet means freedom, holidays are done by jets and a car is anything but cheap. I'm a 33 year old European that drives American cars as a hobby. One driven mile costs me around $0,80 for gasoline alone (a gallon here is about $9). So one must be really crazy (about cars) to start a hobby like this. Let alone combine it with the rising costs of living for all non-boomers. So I guess a dwindling interest is quite natural. The 20eth century was dominated by cars, this century by (integrated) computers. More and more countries are banning (old) cars so only a handful will end up in museums while the others will be transformed into base materials for other items. It may be sad but I believe I will witness the end of legal and public car ownership.

So enjoy it while you still can and do not see it as an investment object. Nothing in life is forever.

Edited by Wilf DeSoto (see edit history)

I have to disagree with the blanket statments that claim younger people are lazy and entitled. I hire and manage people of all ages and have learned that having a good work ethic is not the result of having more years on this planet. Some of the twenty-somethings that I have employed are more mature, resourceful and hard-working then people two, three or four times their age. In my opinion, this board has way to many people that don't like change so they need to condem it. I wonder some times if AACA stands for American Association of Curmudgeonly Automobilists. And yet people wonder why young people aren't attracted to the hobby?

Edited by Buick64C (see edit history)

Thank you for the kind words.

How refreshing to hear the the words "working hard" from a 25 year old from what I call the entitlement generation! There is hope afterall! You are a Great American and will go far with that attitude!

Many good responses on this topic. Its a little more complex than we probably realize.

As far as late model cars being more difficult to work on, I have not experienced that at least working on Ford Trucks, Subarus and Toyotas. Certain problems can require special equipment but most problems do not other than a $50 code scanner. Along with high tech cars comes high tech information highways for the DIYS'r. In the rare event a newer daily driver has an issue, I just look up the problem on the internet and there are specialty forums with answers and personal youtube videos not only telling what the problem is but showing you how to repair it step by step including what tools you need. Back in the day I would have made alot less mistakes and saved alot of money had the internet been available. And thats when cars were simple!

I have to disagree with the blanket statments that claim younger people are lazy and entitled. I hire and manage people of all ages and have learned that having a good work ethic is not the result of having more years on this planet. Some of the twenty-somethings that I have employed are more mature, resourceful and hard-working then people two, three or four times their age. In my opinion, this board has way to many people that don't like change so they need to condem it. I wonder some times if AACA stands for American Association of Curmudgeonly Automobilists. And yet people wonder why young people aren't attracted to the hobby?

Of course there are exceptions to everything. The younger folks I work with are fantastic. I am referring to the general public I deal with as a whole, and the large group of people I have gone to school with and worked with in the past. Of course, living in Kentucky will alter your opinion too lol. Sadly, showing initiative and having goals are not common here.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

Good article: I am seeing more of this but not limmited to classic cars.I think you could include motorcycles,(over $20,000 for A new harley) boats,snowmobiles,hunting/fishing,etc.etc.etc. The jobs are not there to support them.when I say jobs I mean the wages,plus the fact that the baby boomers are going off to nursing homes as they age,the item or items are just sitting in the garage,it will be A buyers market,but the buyers are not in the same income as their past generations.The housing market will and is following the trend.Employers don't do pensions anymore,little or no health care,and a "competative wage".More people living at home,marrying later if at all,combining incomes.I work for A major manufacturing employer 37 yrs and have seen the job market go "GLOBAL"(THERE GOES THE MEAT AND POTATOES).My employer also made billions in profits last year(not good enough,never is),I will end up with A pension and insurance but not the guy behind me,it has changed.As far as classic cars,I see as the generations progress the cars are newer,less model A interest,not so much 40's still A little more at the 50's cars,but the most at the "muscle cars" My brother is doing his 1978 Camaro Z28,he bought it new and still has it but needs A complete restoration,what I found is the market for those is doing very well,again it is A 1 9 7 8 !!!! The times they are A changing my friends,and I don;t care where the market ends up because I will be dead.In the mean time my wife and myself are enjoying the hobby, and cruise and drive them often.When I am sitting in A nursing home drooling in A dixie cup I will have many many photos to look at,and many many memories!! By the way I am 56yrs.old and work for the man that invented the light bulb!!! I own A 55 Buick and A 59 Plymouth,probably be giving them away someday,but I'm having fun now. Just "MY" thoughts Mark M

There are great jobs open all the time all over this great country. (again speaking in terms of people I know in KY). The people here would rather live next to their cousin and complain about a bad job situation than move and better themselves. I have zero pity for those people. I have lost jobs, then I found another one. It's not hard. At least it's not hard if you want to do it.

On a positive note, everything is cyclical over time.

Of course the internet has changed everything. It's easier to find the car you want. Sometimes it's even easier to find it at the price you want. Plus, it's an endless supply of knowledge. It's a fantastic time to start in the hobby.

The article is about transition. Over the last 100 years many people have had a desire to relive their youth, retain the engineering, or appreciate the aesthetics prevalent in a time past. Even non- curmudgeons can be allowed that in varying degrees from casual to obsessive. The article was written by an insurance company crying the woes of their customer's dwindling assets.

This is a very adaptable hobby. Just remember George Bernard Shaw :

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

- George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

I'll recommend: Use it up. Enjoy it WHILE you can. Eat the cake! If you have no beneficiary with an interest, consume the car during your lifetime. Hell, if your beneficiary is just going to sell it for pennies on your hard earned dollars, then what's the difference? If we have any luck at all, we'll have gobs of fun, and memories of good times, while the value of the toy will drop to the point it is easier to sell to those folks who are showing an interest today.

Well said! I'm 36, and I hope to keep using these things up for as long as I can, and I hope to keep finding more to use up!

In keeping with Dan's comments, I agree that people still in their 20s & 30s simply don't have the time and resources yet.

Ding, Ding.

Correct.

With that said, I just had a retired man pull his car out of my shop because he couldn't afford to do what he wanted to do with his toy on a fixed income.

Life is a beeyotch.

This is a hobby.

BJM and I often "fight" from the opposite sides of the fence (respectfully) about how much it costs to keep these cars running and even the entry "fee" into the game. It CAN be expensive (how's that Bryan? ;) )

I have a bunch of new friends in the old car hobby in their 30's since I started my shop. I just had 35 hot rodders over here last weekend. They love old cars and they work on them. Yes, their budgets are smaller than many of us "older" folks, but they totally dig old cars. They aren't AACA material, however. They are hot rod enthusiasts. They walk right by my original Senior Special and all want the messed up wagon. Is it because they prefer the style (patina long roof) or the fact that maybe they can aspire to own a car like that? It is intimidating to see a $10k paint job. $10k chrome and $4k upholstery. I remember those days. That is why (I believe) the traditional style hot rod is popular now. You can drive it without fear of bugs and chips.

Oh. And BTW, I took all three of my cars to a hot rod show last weekend. Two 30 something's drove the wagon and the roadster. I drove the Special. You couldn't wipe the smiles off of their faces with acetone :D

Dan,

I hope you are correct with the younger generation eventually coming around.

I am one of those persons that have the knowledge and technology to work on current / modern cars.

If you have the tools, it can be easier to fix a modern car than an old one. Example, which cylinder is misfiring??? New cars with the correct scanner can tell you in less than one minute.

Modern vehicles are easier to diagnose, but much harder to work on. They cram a bunch of stuff where you can barley fit your hand let alone a socket. Take the mid 2000's F series with a 6.0L Diesel. To change the head gasket you have to remove the cab or cut a hole in the firewall because they used a stud for the back 2 head bolts. On the other hand it is nice to be able to hook up a scanner and have it tell you what every sensor is reading.

Once you learn the electronics of a new vehicle you can keep them running for a long time. My daily driver is my 2000 Silverado 5.3L 4x4. I bought it with 120k. It has not had an easy day in its time with me. I tow and haul with it all the time. It now has 280k on it and I would still hook it to my trailer and drive it across the country.

With all of that said you still can't replace the smell of carburetion in the morning. Got to love that old car smell.:cool:

Pretty much, living in Australia with a very high cost of living I can understand why people aren't getting into it. When we picked up the Buick and I posted it on facebook a lot of people my age (mid twenties) thought it was really interesting and cool but I would be surprised if many were in a position to take it. I'm fortunate that I was able to buy my house in a lul in the market but I can totally understand that being more of a focus for people. It's also increasingly difficult to find space to work on cars as houses are knocked down and replaced with units that either have a tiny garage or none at all.

Yes there are plenty of lazy entitled people of this generation but you really don't hear much about the ones that are just getting on with things

I'm 33. I've been around antiques, and old car and machineryfor those 33 years. I was taught an appreciation for old and interesting....even different.

I've owned old Cara...I've owned rotary engine cars. I've heard "why do you like working on these crap old cars? why not get something new?" from "friends".

younger people in to older cars, trucks, are out there.

but...people to repair them...I think that's where more of a problem is. you can have the money to buy a restored old car. but someone willing to take the time to properly diagnose a problem are getting few and far between. at the the shop where I work, there is a "tech". he plugs computer and other silly stuff in to a port, and then knows what part to replace. give him a set of SU carbs...lost. so just cause you can afford it doesn't mean you will be able to enjoy it if you can't find a way to maintain it. that's why I'm the caretaker of an 84 vw westy. no shop around here will touch it, and of they do, they just throw parts at it until it's worse.

luckily my nephew is car crazy. and Mt daughter and I went for a drove in my lesabre...and I had tuned it up...gave her a little smoke show...had to see how it was running you know...and it was like a switch was flipped. time will tell

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon.

I teach automotive at a high school. I gave the students an assignment to pick any car and give some particulars with respect to the engine. They power pointed the presentation and were in groups of 5 students each.

One group picked the Buick Grand National, another group, a 1964 Buick Wildcat. Each group said they picked the cars because, if they had the money, that is the car they would drive.

Excellent choices.

Marty

Chiming in as one of the younger folks - I'm 26 now and I've got a small fleet of classics in various states of disrepair. I love them to death, I grew up in a family with people who are forever talking about the latest cars or this that or the other they had to fix. I was fortunate to have supportive parents, who gave me access to tools and garage space and one of their worn out drivers to work on. I'm comfortable with working on anything, fuel injected, carb, so long as I have a shop manual.

I also have a lot of friends my age who like to hang out and enjoy my cars, and think it's great that I'm working to preserve them. But they're entirely lost when it comes to how to do it. Or how to find enough time, or money. Priorities in society seem to have shifted a lot for folks my age - when my parents were this old, they were already married, working, had a house, and so on. The majority of folks I know in my age group are either still in school, or struggling to find work. Only time will tell, I think.

Meantime, I'll gladly be a custodian to any collector cars that need a new home :P

Guest 53 buick special

I'm 29 have 5 classics between my wife and I. I work hard and we have no loans other than our house and have no credit cards. We did everything the "old fashioned way". We dated in our gremlin, which I have had sense high school. We waited 4 years got married and waited 5 more and just had our first baby a little boy. Believe me when I say the cars are going no were and we just got our 53 Buick special 4 door so my son can go with us to car events. He will grow up around and in the hobby like I did with my dad. Now I buy cars when they are reasonable and put lots of sweat equity into them. I have been working on cars sense 10 or so and now work as a mechanic with no school training. I am not alone in my generation and the dead beats of my generation frustrate me also. There is hope.

To help to encourage interest in the old cars, I let (with observation) the kids climb up on the old truck. I truly get a big smile from the smiles on their faces to sit on something that old. The parents are usually thrilled also. I agree with one of the other members that "If you do not drive them, you might as well collect clocks"

53 Buick Special; You are rare I am afraid,I'm not saying all young are not or will not collect,but there is A trend of jobs(extra cash flow) that is depleating.I took A ride friday to A town just south of you,maybe you have been there,Warren Ohio, and visited the Packard museum,A wonderful museum I might add!!!! The founders birth place the Packard family,also the home of Neil Armstrong,but what bothered me was Dana AVE. where Packards were originaly built,current home of Ohio lighting (G.E.) formerly Packard Electric,numerous industrial vacancys,weeds in the old parking lots,etc etc.etc.What was once A beautiful,wealthy,thriving,town has gone by the way side,pay checks were earned,roofs over families heads,food on the table,money for kids college,extra money for what ever,you get the picture!! It is becoming A trend.Like I said where is the meat and potatoes,you need A foundation,you can't raise A family on "service" jobs.Are country is being whittled away.I had A good time there,ate at the Buena Vista(excellent), but I had to drive Dana ave. to get to it,it just confirmed what I have been suspecting.By the way there is A ton of history in that town!! Nobody can take that away!!!!!!!!!!! Just my thoughts Mark M

Guest BigDogDaddy

I am the last of the Baby Boomers since I was born in 1964. We didn't have any collectible cars when I was a kid. But my Dad, and my grandfather on my mother's side, both loved old cars and taught me about them. We went to car shows and admired them. My best friend, Mike's father loved old cars too and bought a 1931 Essex out of a field. It was rough, but we all worked on it to restore it. Once it was road worthy, we took it to local shows but never entered it in the shows. I went to Hershey and Carlisle with Mike and his dad. We later had a 1951 Dodge Cranbrook and a 1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk. Those two were sold to help pay for the Essex's restoration. In high school, Mike drove a 1956 Plymouth Savoy. My first car was a 1959 Dodge Coronet that I got the summer I graduated from high school. I got a job working at a classic car dealership and bought my 1953 Roadmaster from there. I still have it. Mike still has the 31 Essex. Mike's father had always wanted what he called a Six Wheeler Buick. He died too young and never got his Buick. When a friend of mine decided to sell his 1940 Buick Limited "Six Wheeler" I jumped at the chance to buy it.

I take my 40 Buick to the shows, it is a driver mostly unrestored, and I let the young kids sit in it and check it out. I don't have kids, but I have two little nephews who enjoy going for rides in my Buick. Both of my younger brothers like old cars.

Most of today's kids who are into cars are the " Fast and the Furious " crowd. I have taken some of them to car shows and pointed out many of the cool features of the old cars and those kids now have a great respect for the old cars. But unfortunately those kids are and few between. Most people today have no interest. My friend Mike had a neighbor who had a 1948 Mercury Woody Wagon that her parents bought new. It had not left her garage in decades. Mike offered to buy it from her, but she refused saying she was saving it for her kids. When she passed, her kids wanted no part of it and sold as fast as the got it. Her "kids" are in their 50s.

The old car hobby is definitely dwindling. The prices for nice pre war cars is way down. Beautiful Model As & Model Ts that once sold in the $30,000 range can be had for $ 5,000 -$ 10,000. Maybe someday I WILL be able to afford a 1931 Duesenberg SJ Dual Cowl Phaeton !

Edited by BigDogDaddy (see edit history)

I feel I can relate to this as I turned 30 last year and have many favorite classics and that ranges from the 50s to 1970. To me everything after that is not very desirable to "collect". Most all of my friends are not on the same page of loving the 50s as they'd rather have Chevelles or Cameros, personal taste and probably fueled by speed.

As for me, the 50s seem to define an era of design and manufacturing that will never be seen again and the 1959 Cadillac being the pinnacle example. I respect this and the ’55 Buick stands out to me like a busty blond eyeing me up at the end of the bar. The attraction is natural and hard to resist. Now the only thing between me and my ideal nailhead is a few grand and about 1000+ miles. My time will come, and I will be one of the few to keep this torch going.</SPAN>

I'd like to make a couple of points about this rather interesting thread. I do think that many, or most, younger people, 20's, 30's do have a good ethic, as I've worked with a number of them that work as hard, or harder than I do. When I was late/teens early 20's the "older generation" said the same thing about some of my peers, ie., "nobody works as hard we used to", etc. I think that the truth is that each generation has their own layabouts, I think its' part of human nature, plus some folks have trouble finding out their niche in life till later on.

Last summer, I was invited to bring my '41 Roadmaster to a kind of early 40's, and WWII fashion event at an estate that is now operated as a museum. There were about 5 late 30's and early 40's cars present, and I had many young folks almost fawning over my car, and many beautiful young ladies posed beside the car for pictures. I let some people sit in the car, and even showed a young woman who was particularly taken with the car, how to start it! On the way out I heard say to her young man that we really should get one of these.

I do agree that there are many conflicting interests, hell, I'm sitting here on the computer instead of working on my car!

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)

Guest CRex619

I myself am 24 years of age held down a job since I was 15 and haven't taken a hand out from anyone. There ARE in face people of my "generation" that are lazy and unwilling to do what it takes to support a family. I still believe I was born in the wrong era. The wrong era of cars, music, and humans...in my mind the 40's/50's despite the war were some of the greatest time in our country. Just my $.02.

Best advise/opinion on this thread. Even if I had a beneficiary of interest I would still use it up! Amassing wealth and paper weights on wheels make little sense if you don't spend it or drive the vehicles. We purchase and lovingly work on our cars. We then admire them in the garage, on the street or at a show. Stored the garage under a old sheet from prying eyes of the world also make very little sense. Saving the mileage so Johnny may or may not continue on with it does not seem logical. I made my purchase of a 50's vehicle to drive it. And drive it I do. I have two daughters. They love the car but at the end of the day the modern car with iPod connection is preferred. I have no desire to sell the car ever. I plan on driving the heck out of it. Enjoying the shows and running the country roads until the bias ply give in. The car is for my enjoyment. I will take care of it. When I finally reach the collector car garage in the sky my wife/daughters may keep it or sell it on for what they can.

As far as interest, there is interest but it is over a wide field of cars and what they do with them.

Classic

Muscle

Tuners

Lowriders

Ratrods

Drifters

Rally/road racing

In this mix is a vast age group. When I was growing up I always desired a car from the 50's. But, I spent my time hopping up cars for speed. Drag racing, etc. As I grew older. Married and kids. Things slow down. The need for speed reverted to need to cruise in a classic.

The 20's 30's 40's 50's were good times,lots of growth and opportunity,the generation of today will not have the same opportunity as yesterdays.The jobs are there but not the extra cash.This hobby does require extra money.Not all are lazy,I see lots working hard, but not getting ahead.I see many many young folks looking and loving my cars at shows and on the streets,always get A lot of thumbs up from the youth,but they look like A kid in A candy store with empty pockets,this bothers me tremendously!! Mark M